ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Jurich is OUT!

I think Presidents mind was made up if the story was true he asked tom to fire pitino and tom said fire me too. The line in the sand was drawn at that time. In addition to the other issues pitino was attached too knowing or not. U of L has stood prior to both men and will stand again.

We're screwed.

No we aren't. There are plenty of talented people out there.

Yes their are talented people out their. But they won’t be coming here. Do you actually think this is about Jurich. Everything this board has done is about tearing down ULs athletics department. Going back to the renegotiated YUM deal. UK will be playing in there soon and so will a NBA team. Do you think the majority of the BOT gives a crap about UL. I know the 4 SuCk grads don’t. Most haven’t donated a significant amount of money to show they’ve ever cared. This is about shrinking UL. Next coaches start departing. Jurich will be hired fast and he’ll start taking our coaches.

Isn’t anyone curious why there haven’t been any stories on salaries and the Nike deal at SuCk. Hmm

Yes their are talented people out their. But they won’t be coming here. Do you actually think this is about Jurich. Everything this board has done is about tearing down ULs athletics department. Going back to the renegotiated YUM deal. UK will be playing in there soon and so will a NBA team. Do you think the majority of the BOT gives a crap about UL. I know the 4 SuCk grads don’t. Most haven’t donated a significant amount of money to show they’ve ever cared. This is about shrinking UL. Next coaches start departing. Jurich will be hired fast and he’ll start taking our coaches.

Isn’t anyone curious why there haven’t been any stories on salaries and the Nike deal at SuCk. Hmm

The UofL athletics dept has done a pretty solid job of tearing itself down the last 3 years. Step off the ledge

Well if the idiot Smrt has to do with this you can bet he’s got it wrong. And it’s going to cost us a lot of $$$$.

I'm on record as being a Smrt-hater way before most. That being said, if he uncovered info to make the dismissal "with cause" then he was earning his money this time.

When, in years to come, we have teams with losing records, untalented players and coaches, empty stadiums, and sagging revenues, remember this day. The fallout is going to be massive.

The UofL athletics dept has done a pretty solid job of tearing itself down the last 3 years. Step off the ledge

No the athletic department has not. Get out of the 80’s. There’s more to UL than just BB. 22 programs have had zero issues. I’m not on a ledge but the University is and it’s being pushed over. But will see.

I think this is best for all involved. Jurich's insistence on standing by Pitino is going to cost him in the end and with the amount of embarrassing stories that have occurred under his watch....I don't blame the board. The entire university needs a reset....far, far too many issues the last few years.

Plus his salary was far, far too high and his perks were insane for collegiate A.D.

Last edited:
No the athletic department has not. Get out of the 80’s. There’s more to UL than just BB. 22 programs have had zero issues. I’m not on a ledge but the University is and it’s being pushed over. But will see.

You and I both know there are 2 programs that matter more than all the rest combined. And those two have a host of issues. Not to mention the piggyback approach to finances and disregard to any though of proper program governance.

Reactions: ukalum1992
I would say that if you think losing Tom Jurich is going to crush The University of Louisville then you have very little faith and confidence in your favorite University.

I look forward to new era at Louisville.

Correct. The BOT and Postel, I have ZERO faith or confidence in. I look forward to their eventual demise in their respective positions.

Reactions: Deeva
Louisville won titles without Pitino or Jurich. Football turned the corner under HS, not BP and TJ.
You guys have a beautiful city with a great university.
There are many visions, and many that can carry those out.
Whatever Jurichs final job determination will be, he did some great things for you guys.
Apparently, there were financial questions as well as questions about insubordination.
The next person in line may have just as great a vision, but without some of the downturns.

Will th department's be down for a bit??? Maybe. Tom jurich recruited no one, coached no one. He is a high risk gambler...He knew the risks of hiring Petrino, and of keeping Pitino after some things happened. Some times you pull four of a kind, sometimes a busted straight.

Your University is larger and actually more necessary than any individuals involved in this.

What are you talking about? When Jurich arrived our FB team was coached by Cooper. We were threatened to be kicked out of Conference USA. BB was in a complete nose dive. Jurich recruited all of the coaches. Programs that barely existed before TJ grew and flourished. Title 9 wasn’t here it’s a model now. See you look at just FB and BB but that’s not UL anymore. We now are WBB, Baseball, men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball, field hockey, swimming, track and field. So no it wasn’t even close before he arrived. Insubordination? You mean with a Interim President that’s not qualified for the job and a BOT that clearly doesn’t have the best interest. I’ve got a deal let us put 4 UL graduates on the UK BOT. And a bunch of others with zero ties to UK. Then and only then can you come over to our site and begin to understand what’s truly going on here.

It is really hard to stay at any place for 20 years, even harder when leadership changes. People in high level positions have enemies which over time continues to grow. At some point the number of enemies make the job impossible, especially when your leader is no longer their to support you. Make no mistake Jurich had his enemies and his leaders no longer supported him. It looks like his loyalty to Rick is what will officially cost him his job, but I doubt this relationship with the new board would have ever worked. Jurich would of had to fundamentally change how he operated the athletic department which wasn't going to happen.

It is extremely disappointing that 2 incredible leaders are terminated, but let's not act like they both didn't contribute to their own demise. They allowed their ego's blind them. Jurich sacrificed everything he built by protecting one coach over and over. He failed to realize his past decisions were draining his political chips and after stripper scandal his chips were gone. Then the next scandal hits he goes to grab those chips again and he finds out he doesn't have any. He finally gave his enemies enough to bury him.

The good news is the job is completely different now because of Jurich. Jurich was the perfect guy and the perfect time. It truly was a match made in heaven. He may have been the only guy to navigate them to the ACC. They need someone that can maintain the program, heal the community and bring the Univeristy closer. That is a different skill set.

Reactions: kb22stang
The cause is insubordination. Jurich wouldn't fire Pitino upon Postel's demand.

If this is true, just cut the check and get it over with now.

It's all too apparent that Postel is an academic who does not like sucking hind tit when it comes to athletics.

Well I wonder how Mr. Postel is going to make up the shortfall that is getting ready to happen due to the lawsuits and money sources drying up? :mad:

It is really hard to stay at any place for 20 years, even harder when leadership changes. People in high level positions have enemies which over time continues to grow. At some point the number of enemies make the job impossible, especially when your leader is no longer their to support you. Make no mistake Jurich had his enemies and his leaders no longer supported him. It looks like his loyalty to Rick is what will officially cost him his job, but I doubt this relationship with the new board would have ever worked. Jurich would of had to fundamentally change how he operated the athletic department which wasn't going to happen.

It is extremely disappointing that 2 incredible leaders are terminated, but let's not act like they both didn't contribute to their own demise. They allowed their ego's blind them. Jurich sacrificed everything he built by protecting one coach over and over. He failed to realize his past decisions were draining his political chips and after stripper scandal his chips were gone. Then the next scandal hits he goes to grab those chips again and he finds out he doesn't have any. He finally gave his enemies enough to bury him.

The good news is the job is completely different now because of Jurich. Jurich was the perfect guy and the perfect time. It truly was a match made in heaven. He may have been the only guy to navigate them to the ACC. They need someone that can maintain the program, heal the community and bring the Univeristy closer. That is a different skill set.

Jurich didn’t have to support RP to ousted. When Ramsey left the dominos began to fall and it was just a matter of time. Yep it’s a different job now. But if you think we’re going forward just look at the BOT to get your answer. That isn’t the plan. They will starve the athletic department by taking money and limiting salaries which will lead to a drop off of quality coaches. And it will fall from there.

It's all too apparent that Postel is an academic who does not like sucking hind tit when it comes to athletics.

Well I wonder how Mr. Postel is going to make up the shortfall that is getting ready to happen due to the lawsuits and money sources drying up? :mad:

You can blame Postel all you want but you are wasting your time. This decision is coming from Grissom who had his marching orders from the Governor.

You can blame Postel all you want but you are wasting your time. This decision is coming from Grissom who had his marching orders from the Governor.

I may be naive but I can't see Grissom taking orders from anyone, including Bevin.

Go back to the yut board and kick rocks.

They've been put in a no-win situation not of their own making. They have taken decisive action.
This is (about to be apparently) proven demonstrably false. If postel and his puppet master grissom say that Jurich’s failure to follow orders to fire pitino BEFORE the adidas situation - is the “cause”, then postel needs to be the next one out the door.

If he didn’t fire Jurich when he refused, then the buck stops with postel. If grissom in turn allowed postel to remain after not doing his job - he needs to be shown the door as well.

Though it appears they will - you simply cannot apply the standards of responsibility and culpability in anything but a consistent manner. Not if you want to be considered honest and, taken seriously.

This is (about to be apparently) proven demonstrably false. If postel and his puppet master grissom say that Jurich’s failure to follow orders to fire pitino BEFORE the adidas situation - is the “cause”, then postel needs to be the next one out the door.

If he didn’t fire Jurich when he refused, then the buck stops with postel. If grissom in turn allowed postel to remain after not doing his job - he needs to be shown the door as well.

Though it appears they will - you simply cannot apply the standards of responsibility and culpability in anything but a consistent manner. Not if you want to be considered honest and, taken seriously.

My honest feeling is that the Board had Smrt do a comprehensive review of the athletic dept and its processes. From that, they felt that a "with cause" threshold was met.

Jurich didn’t have to support RP to ousted. When Ramsey left the dominos began to fall and it was just a matter of time. Yep it’s a different job now. But if you think we’re going forward just look at the BOT to get your answer. That isn’t the plan. They will starve the athletic department by taking money and limiting salaries which will lead to a drop off of quality coaches. And it will fall from there.
What you are saying is this BOT isn't smart enough to realize the importance athletics has on the University. I don't believe that for a second. If they gut athletics like you say they are basically gutting the University which will end up hurting the City of Louisville. I do believe this BOT or more likely the Chairman didn't believe they could work with Jurich. I don't agree with the decision, but I guess I am naive to believe people that accept an appointment on a University board aren't out to destroy the University they were appointed to protect.

Reactions: Knucklehank1

Apparently the demand came from Postel to fire Pitino immediately. Jurcih wouldn't do it.

It leaked out that Postel wanted Pitino gone.

Grissom is responding to Postel. Apparently they were asked to do so.

The Governor has stated publicly and also in a letter I believe that he supports Jurich and wants him to remain.

I may be naive but I can't see Grissom taking orders from anyone, including Bevin.

Bevin and Grissom were on the same page when Grissom was appointed to the Board. The Yum Center negotiations didn't ingratiate Jurich to say the least.

Apparently the demand came from Postel to fire Pitino immediately. Jurcih wouldn't do it.

It leaked out that Postel wanted Pitino gone.

Grissom is responding to Postel. Apparently they were asked to do so.

The Governor has stated publicly and also in a letter I believe that he supports Jurich and wants him to remain.

When I saw the Governor's comments the other day all I could do was laugh. That's all I can say about that.

My honest feeling is that the Board had Smrt do a comprehensive review of the athletic dept and its processes. From that, they felt that a "with cause" threshold was met.

Smrt has proven to be inept. He can't be relied upon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT