ADVERTISEMENT

Time to pump the brakes

STLNBSE

700+
Feb 27, 2003
Firing Bobby makes no sense unless you are sure you’ve got Jeff. Easy to forget we still have a pretty good coach who is in the middle of an epically bad run. Under ordinary circumstances, you’d owe it to him to get it turned around.

Firing Bobby makes no sense unless you are sure you’ve got Jeff. Easy to forget we still have a pretty good coach who is in the middle of an epically bad run. Under ordinary circumstances, you’d owe it to him to get it turned around.
Things have been going south since the debacle in Houston. That was the beginning of this horrid streak we can't seem to shake ourselves out of. Since November 17 of 2016, this program has 10 wins and 14 losses.

We live in very ordinary times. Bobby Petrino is not being paid to be ordinary. He's being paid to win football games, and 10-14 in the last 24 games is not winning football.

Lol...what? So was today a big troll job ??? Is there really nothing about to happen ?

While this is true, he’s actually only had one subpar season and it’s not even over yet.

Can’t answer that, but it’s possible. Are you blind to the reality that BP is the most likely coach next year?

Aside from these rumors, the biggest thing against Petrino is that the future outlook is looking more bleak. He is unable to assemble a top notch staff despite UofL paying good salaries, his inability to retain his ace recruiter and recruiting that appears to be diminishing - he is missing out on perhaps the deepest crop of local guys ever. If he were a stock there would be a sell-off.

Gloom and doom. 24 months ago it all looked quite differently no? How can you confidently conclude the downward trend continues?

Can’t answer that, but it’s possible. Are you blind to the reality that BP is the most likely coach next year?
Not likely at all. Negotiating a lesser buyout with him currently is what I’ve been told before the Klenakis crap hits the fan.

Gloom and doom. 24 months ago it all looked quite differently no? How can you confidently conclude the downward trend continues?

I just told you why I predict a downward trend. 1) marginal coaching staff, 2) no ace recruiter, 3) missing on top recruiting targets. Normally I say you can remedy issues 1 and 2 and thereby fix issue 3. But I can’t see top notch assistants coming to work for him and I’m not sure he would be willing to adjust roles for his family members on staff. Hope I’m wrong though.

Reactions: earsky
Outside of Grantham, the coaching staff was never great. Petrino 1.0 won a ton of games with Mike Gillehamer as DC. Who? Exactly. Also haven’t seen much difference in recruiting with Cort gone.

Um no he does not get a chance to turn it around if this stuff comes out to be true. He would be fired at any University in america given the circumstances of being 2-5.

I think you said inside the athletic department right? You know this of course, but some loose-lipped employees are known to talk other there. Remember back when Kenny Klein put Krags leaving for SMU at “50/50”? And KK is one I’d actually trust.

You mean after the Brohm win? I’m not defending him...just suggesting he may deserve one bad year.

It's not one bad year. It's been a downward spiral since 2016. I don't care what the year to year records are. If people don't see how far we have dropped since the Houston game then you aren't opening your eyes and are basing your want to give him another year off of wins against ISU, WKU, Wake Forest, UVA, Syracuse, Kent State, and Kentucky.

Add that on top of the news that will come out, yeah you just can't defend Bobby after what comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilkie01
Outside of Grantham, the coaching staff was never great. Petrino 1.0 won a ton of games with Mike Gillehamer as DC. Who? Exactly. Also haven’t seen much difference in recruiting with Cort gone.

He never had a great defensive staff but consider his whole 2006 staff. It had 2 future D1 head coaches and on defense he did have Joe Whitt who is highly regarded in the NFL and was an ace recruiter. Not to mention he was able to keep high impact local guys despite being in a mid-major conference.

Petrino is done.
The sooner you accept it the happier you will feel. You, zipp and the other defenders heartburn will ease.

Reactions: HRTheCard
Not a defender. Just openly questioning the Brohm zealots. As I said, firing BP would be a mistake unless we were certainl Brohm were in the fold.

Not a defender. Just openly questioning the Brohm zealots. As I said, firing BP would be a mistake unless we were certainl Brohm were in the fold.

Zealot? Odd choice to label fellow Cards fans. Especially when you Petrino defenders are hating on a Louisville legacy.

Im sure Tyra is talking to Brohms people.
He's not incompetent.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I think you said inside the athletic department right? You know this of course, but some loose-lipped employees are known to talk other there. Remember back when Kenny Klein put Krags leaving for SMU at “50/50”? And KK is one I’d actually trust.
I said inside football office. Also, 50/50 means what it means. How does that equate to KK being incorrect in his statement?

Well, I guess you could say anything is 50/50 and avoid being totally wrong. The mistake was saying anything. And we all hoped like hell it would happen

If you're a Louisville fan that honestly still has confidence in Bobby Petrino then more power to you. I personally don't understand it but I'm not going to try and convince you you're wrong.

Every fan has their own point of view for the program and their own two eyes and ears to make their opinions on Petrino. I made mine during year 3 and things have only went downhill since. My only hope is that Louisville isn't "forced" to keep Petrino due to finances then the already toxic environment around the program will get even worse. I really hope a change is made in December. I have a very bad feeling that if Petrino is retained we're going to fall to a level thats going to take years to climb out of.

Reactions: Cue Card
Well, we will not hear Jeff has been hired until after the Kentucky game. And Jeff will not arrive until after Perdue's bowl game. Then the rebuild will start.

Reactions: BPGhost
I kind of see what your saying and i somewhat agree. Brohm better be lined up as the next HC if your firing P. You cant sell me on firing P and hiring troy's HC or some coordinator.

Reactions: BPGhost
Every fan has their own point of view for the program and their own two eyes and ears to make their opinions on Petrino. I made mine during year 3 and things have only went downhill since. My only hope is that Louisville isn't "forced" to keep Petrino due to finances then the already toxic environment around the program will get even worse. I really hope a change is made in December. I have a very bad feeling that if Petrino is retained we're going to fall to a level thats going to take years to climb out of.

It won’t, because the infrastructure any great coach needs to succeed has already been built here. Louisville has the best, newest facilities in the ACC and membership in a P5 conference to go with it.

The only thing that sets the program back years is hiring the next Steve Kragthorpe. The “worry” about setting the program back by waiting to pull the trigger is a non-issue created by people like yourself to support a rationale to get rid of a coach you don’t like.

Reactions: STLNBSE
This whole situation became toxic in a minute. I don't see anyway he stays in this environment. I have no idea if letting him go is the right thing to do, but what I do know is the fan base is done. College football is tough enough with a great fan base, but it is nearly impossible with angry/discontent fan base. When people resort to spreading rumors that are designed to hurt a coach and people believe the rumors immediately that is another sign he has lost the fans. Local radio stations stirring the pot. It is just a mess.

I thought if they couldn't get Brohm they needed to keep Petrino, but after yesterday's reaction to an unfounded rumor the University has to move on. It is beyond fixing at this point.

While this is true, he’s actually only had one subpar season and it’s not even over yet.

Your idea of subpar is a little off. Is a bad season to you 0-12. We owe him his paycheck, he owes us a successful year and good coaches. Let’s hope he turns it around but a 2-10 or 9-3 isn’t subpar it’s horrible

It won’t, because the infrastructure any great coach needs to succeed has already been built here. Louisville has the best, newest facilities in the ACC and membership in a P5 conference to go with it.

The only thing that sets the program back years is hiring the next Steve Kragthorpe. The “worry” about setting the program back by waiting to pull the trigger is a non-issue created by people like yourself to support a rationale to get rid of a coach you don’t like.

It will all depend on the coach hired to replace Petrino and the caliber of the staff he brings with him. Plenty of programs have great facilities and pump tons of money into their program. Louisville is in the ACC now, we can't just get a couple of good recruits and win 10 games. To win in the ACC you need depth, talent and speed. So it will depend on the new staffs ability to repair damaged relationships and a damaged perception of the program in order to build recruiting inroads and build depth. If Louisville waits on Brohm and continues to give Petrino time to taint the brand and risks losing Brohm to a bigger, elite program then who knows the domino effect that would take.

My stance is this and this is purely my own analysis based on my own assumptions but: I have little doubt that Brohm would improve recruiting on every level and ESPECIALLY locally and I think he would do it instantly. Petrino's descent has been going on for years now and while his buyout is massive I think you take advantage of this perfect timing with Brohm and pay the buyout now instead of risking a further program slide. I have no doubt in my mind that ULs brand, talent and recruiting would instantly improve and ticket sales would skyrocket if Brohm were hired. So to me its a bigger risk to hold on to Petrino than it is to fire him. If UL goes into next season with Petrino as its coach I would wager you would have the lowest ticket sales in a season since Kragthorpe.

This whole situation became toxic in a minute. I don't see anyway he stays in this environment. I have no idea if letting him go is the right thing to do, but what I do know is the fan base is done. College football is tough enough with a great fan base, but it is nearly impossible with angry/discontent fan base. When people resort to spreading rumors that are designed to hurt a coach and people believe the rumors immediately that is another sign he has lost the fans. Local radio stations stirring the pot. It is just a mess.

I thought if they couldn't get Brohm they needed to keep Petrino, but after yesterday's reaction to an unfounded rumor the University has to move on. It is beyond fixing at this point.
Just win baby. That fixes everything

It will all depend on the coach hired to replace Petrino and the caliber of the staff he brings with him. Plenty of programs have great facilities and pump tons of money into their program. Louisville is in the ACC now, we can't just get a couple of good recruits and win 10 games. To win in the ACC you need depth, talent and speed. So it will depend on the new staffs ability to repair damaged relationships and a damaged perception of the program in order to build recruiting inroads and build depth. If Louisville waits on Brohm and continues to give Petrino time to taint the brand and risks losing Brohm to a bigger, elite program then who knows the domino effect that would take.

My stance is this and this is purely my own analysis based on my own assumptions but: I have little doubt that Brohm would improve recruiting on every level and ESPECIALLY locally and I think he would do it instantly. Petrino's descent has been going on for years now and while his buyout is massive I think you take advantage of this perfect timing with Brohm and pay the buyout now instead of risking a further program slide. I have no doubt in my mind that ULs brand, talent and recruiting would instantly improve and ticket sales would skyrocket if Brohm were hired. So to me its a bigger risk to hold on to Petrino than it is to fire him. If UL goes into next season with Petrino as its coach I would wager you would have the lowest ticket sales in a season since Kragthorpe.

Some reasonable points here, but please explain how having the patience to give the second winningest coach in program history a chance to recover from one bad season “taints the brand”?

You’re starting with a whole lot of assumptions about Petrino that you’re not stating here if you think having Bobby Petrino as coach of your football program “taints” it.

Some reasonable points here, but please explain how having the patience to give the second winningest coach in program history a chance to recover from one bad season “taints the brand”?

You’re starting with a whole lot of assumptions about Petrino that you’re not stating here if you think having Bobby Petrino as coach of your football program “taints” it.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying Petrino in name alone is "tainting" the brand. I'm saying the current staff and Petrino's inability to get and keep quality assistants is resulting in the current state of the Louisville football program and if we continue to see the things from recruits and current players stating that the current staff isn't that great then its going to make recruiting that much more difficult. You're going to have a coach with no charisma or internal recruiting ability, a constant turnover staff of bandaid coaches and you're trying to get them to come to a mid-tier P5 program. College football IS recruiting and development. Right now Petrino isn't doing either.

Also, I'm tired of hearing about Bobby's accomplishments in regards to his history with the program. The fact remains that Bobby 1.0s stats are COMPLETELY irrelevant to todays argument. The program may as well have been playing a different sport because of how much has changed in the last 15 years. The fact remains that modern era Bobby Petrino is 1-12 against ranked teams, 36-23 in the current era, 19-14 over his last 33 games and has been beaten by more than 2tds more times over those games than Kraghthorpe over his entire tenure and he's 4-8 in his last 12 ACC games.

So this idea that we need to give Petrino extra time because this is a sudden thing and not been a nearly 3 year skid or because of how well he did 15 years ago when we were playing Marshall and Southern Mississippi shouldn't even be brought up. His numbers go from pedestrian to bad over the last 5 years and this doesn't even include the breakdown of who he's actually beating...spoiler alert the overwhelming majority of his wins are terrible OOC teams, UVA, Cuse, Wake and BC and now he's even losing to UVA, Wake and BC.

Idiots even naming Neal Brown are you serious? If you let Bobby go and cant get Brohm and you bring in a born Eastern central Ky native Brown for Bobby SMH! For one if you had Brown here and he had sucess he would jump to Uk at first opportunity.

IF and ONLY IF the stuff is true about Bobby (time will tell), then that is when you fire him WITHOUT knowing if you can get Brohm.

Some don't understand, if what's rumored is true, you fire him no matter who the next HC could be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT