ADVERTISEMENT

Time for the fans to view UL football realistically

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
UL Basketball is a destination job; evidenced by the long history of success with HOF coaches and historically identified in the top 5 in college attendance. Conversely, UL football is not a destination job, and despite recently having a Heisman Winner in Lamar, we are not remotely close to qualifying as a top 25 program right now, just look at yesterday’s attendance. We have lost every single HC since Lee Corso, after having flirted with any proximity to National prominence; yet some UL football fans believe there are better options that Satterfield?

I was one of those 10,000 UL football fans who invested money up front to build the stadium, and have absolutely no regrets. Frankly, I would have made the commitment as early as the TW Alley or Bob Weber era, as “hope springs eternal”. If any pattern has been established ever since Corso left for IU; it’s clear that aside from the usual 25,000 faithful …… this community will not consistently support UL football unless the weather is perfect, the opponent is significant and we have a team that most believe is worthy of support.

Corso, Schnellenberger, JL Smith, Petrino, and Strong knew something about us, that some refuse to acknowledge ……. specifically that Louisville has way too many other interests other reasons that to attend UL football games. Not sure of the “Louder than Life” attendance, but suspect it rivaled those who showed up for the USF game. I was at the game yesterday as a guest, and was treated to a very entertaining one-sided contest, but witnessed a most disappointing turnout. In order to believe that announced attendance was 41,000, one would have to believe it was 2/3 full; it appeared to be less than half full.

My Point here is simple …… Scott Satterfield is not the perfect HC for UL, but regrettably UL is not the perfect school for any HC, including Satterfield, and apparently it was not as perfect for Jeff Brohm as some fans would like for us to believe, given the fact that he rejected the opportunity when it was presented. This fanbase has “Champagne taste, but a beer pocketbook”, and I see no indication that we can afford to buy out any more Coaching contracts, particularly in light of where this school‘s finances sit right now.

Maybe getting behind the existing coach, his staff and this team with real support would yield a more productive product over time?

UL Basketball is a destination job; evidenced by the long history of success with HOF coaches and historically identified in the top 5 in college attendance. Conversely, UL football is not a destination job, and despite recently having a Heisman Winner in Lamar, we are not remotely close to qualifying as a top 25 program right now, just look at yesterday’s attendance. We have lost every single HC since Lee Corso, after having flirted with any proximity to National prominence; yet some UL football fans believe there are better options that Satterfield?

I was one of those 10,000 UL football fans who invested money up front to build the stadium, and have absolutely no regrets. Frankly, I would have made the commitment as early as the TW Alley or Bob Weber era, as “hope springs eternal”. If any pattern has been established ever since Corso left for IU; it’s clear that aside from the usual 25,000 faithful …… this community will not consistently support UL football unless the weather is perfect, the opponent is significant and we have a team that most believe is worthy of support.

Corso, Schnellenberger, JL Smith, Petrino, and Strong knew something about us, that some refuse to acknowledge ……. specifically that Louisville has way too many other interests other reasons that to attend UL football games. Not sure of the “Louder than Life” attendance, but suspect it rivaled those who showed up for the USF game. I was at the game yesterday as a guest, and was treated to a very entertaining one-sided contest, but witnessed a most disappointing turnout. In order to believe that announced attendance was 41,000, one would have to believe it was 2/3 full; it appeared to be less than half full.

My Point here is simple …… Scott Satterfield is not the perfect HC for UL, but regrettably UL is not the perfect school for any HC, including Satterfield, and apparently it was not as perfect for Jeff Brohm as some fans would like for us to believe, given the fact that he rejected the opportunity when it was presented. This fanbase has “Champagne taste, but a beer pocketbook”, and I see no indication that we can afford to buy out any more Coaching contracts, particularly in light of where this school‘s finances sit right now.

Maybe getting behind the existing coach, his staff and this team with real support would yield a more productive product over time?
This is where I’m at right now.

When a HC leaves OU for USC and another leaves ND for LSU, how many destination jobs are there?

Avg years of HC tenure @ P5 is roughly 4 years.

These guys are just leaving for better or worse after a few rounds.

They are all mercenaries.

There will be anomalies.

The basketball program has brought shame, ridicule and scandal. The football program has been built with nothing but hard work, a commitment to get better, and desire. Plus, football is where the money is at. The fans have done all they can. The investment currently isn’t yielding a return.

Then are stadium is way too big if we’re not a destination school. The flight deck is no man’s land especially for games like yesterday.

I think most want Satterfield to succeed. The reality is it in his hands to keep the job, not the fans. I do think some fans don’t really understand how difficult it is to build a football program at Louisville. Think about baseball and basketball what if Louisville lost coaches left and right in those programs? I would argue there is no way they maintain that success.

A winning culture takes time and patience. That can be sped up with recruiting but at Louisville that wasn’t going to happen quickly. Granted it took too long but they have started to figure it out.

When coaches, players and fans get aligned success isn’t far behind. The speed of that success varies. This is getting very close to being a success but it equally as close to not working out.

I think most want Satterfield to succeed. The reality is it in his hands to keep the job, not the fans. I do think some fans don’t really understand how difficult it is to build a football program at Louisville. Think about baseball and basketball what if Louisville lost coaches left and right in those programs? I would argue there is no way they maintain that success.

A winning culture takes time and patience. That can be sped up with recruiting but at Louisville that wasn’t going to happen quickly. Granted it took too long but they have started to figure it out.

When coaches, players and fans get aligned success isn’t far behind. The speed of that success varies. This is getting very close to being a success but it equally as close to not working out.
A winning culture can happen quicker than you think. JLS won right away. Petrino 1.0 had things rolling as soon as he stepped on campus. Strong needed a season before he got going.

I pretty much said that hence my statement it can be sped up with recruiting. JL and Strong recruited better than than their conference opponents. The reason this staff in trouble is because of their recruiting.

With that said last I checked they have a top 15 class. Neither Strong or JL did that. Last year was close to being the best class since Strong. Ignore that if you want but I won’t because Dudes matter.

I pretty much said that hence my statement it can be sped up with recruiting. JL and Strong recruited better than than their conference opponents. The reason this staff in trouble is because of their recruiting.

With that said last I checked they have a top 15 class. Neither Strong or JL did that. Last year was close to being the best class since Strong. Ignore that if you want but I won’t because Dudes matter.
The recruits can be kept with the right hire. Plus, while commitments are great, it doesn’t mean much until they sign and are on campus. We’ve got current commits still making visits.

Reactions: BPGhost
If Louisville built the consistency that Wake, Pitt and NC St has they would keep their coach just like those schools have. I admitted Clemson because they are on a whole different level imo because of tradition and recruiting.

4-6 programs sustain high level. A few others are in and out. The rest have ups and downs and their fans are probably just like ours.

Programs that switch leagues seem to struggle. Nebraska, WVU, UofL, and MIZZOU are all down by their standards. TCU did great, they have been up and down with it.

Penn St handled it. They are a traditional power.

Two (2) interesting questions emerged from this OP; one is about the “right hire, the other is whether the fans (attendance) are responsible for a successful program.

In reverse order, conference affiliation clearly affected most of the previous coaches leaving UL, but I recall the lack of attendance was a constant issue with each of those who left for those destination jobs (like Oklahoma, Michigan State, Falcons and Texas), as being aware of the fan support on every Saturday. I see so many SEC, Big 12 and BIG10 venues with packed stadiums, but not so much outside of those conferences other than Clemson, ND and a few others.

The “right hire” ……now that is a tough one, given there is only one candidate (Brohm) being mentioned by more than one or two posters here. If there was a definitive replacement who was as consensus selection, and could make an argument as being better than Satterfield ….. I would appreciate hearing that name, as I am not sure there are any experienced HCs with a resume that would provide assurance they were both qualified and willing to accept this challenge.

Who cares if we are a destination job. As long as the coaches win while they are here is really all that matters. Miami won several national championships changing coaches every 4-5 years. It sounds like some of you are ok with 6-7 wins every year and then an occasional 7-8 win season. No. That's not what we aspire to. We're on a collision course.....and not on a collision course with mediocrity. 6-8 wins a season is what Syracuse, NC, State, Wake Forest, UNC, DUKE, BC aspire too. Not us. We've been building a championship program for decades. why abandon that now? Because Ned Flanders is a good guy and if we give him another 4 years he may turn things around?

I like your enthusiasm Willie; and I have never given up on high level success here at UL. However, you and the rest of us are on an island, evidenced by the attendance. You do not need to take my word for it, just look at the numbers here and compare with the rest of the country. There is a reason the SEC dominates college football and continue to attract other the major schools to their conference who are serious about football; look at how they fill their stands and how they support their sport programs financially.

Regrettably there is little appetite for college football here when it comes to fan support on Saturdays beyond “the usual 25K to 35K suspects” who have the passion and desire to attend the games.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I like your enthusiasm Willie; and I have never given up on high level success here at UL. However, you and the rest of us are on an island, evidenced by the attendance. You do not need to take my word for it, just look at the numbers here and compare with the rest of the country. There is a reason the SEC dominates college football and continue to attract other the major schools to their conference who are serious about football; look at how they fill their stands and how they support their sport programs financially.

Regrettably there is little appetite for college football here when it comes to fan support on Saturdays beyond “the usual 25K to 35K suspects” who have the passion and desire to attend the games.
The product on the field matters.

A winning culture can happen quicker than you think. JLS won right away. Petrino 1.0 had things rolling as soon as he stepped on campus. Strong needed a season before he got going.
Petrino should send Smith and Strong a Xmas present every year. They set him up for short term success that he was not able to maintain, twice.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Actually, I think CCS had two consecutive 7-4 campaigns before hitting his stride.

No complaints on that Petrino 1.0 but I think we need to factor in level of competition adjustment from those days to now. This is not meant to be an asterisk but just another variable to include in that analysis.

No complaints on that Petrino 1.0 but I think we need to factor in level of competition adjustment from those days to now. This is not meant to be an asterisk but just another variable to include in that analysis.
Petrino had the same caliber athletes as our CUSA and Big East brethren did, sans an elite homegrown talent or two. BP 1.0 simply out coached the competition.

Our fanbase is just like most other fanbases..you win we show up. You lose we don't. Even in basketball this is true. We vote with our feet. However, I disagree with your assessment that there is little appetite for college football here. We have an enormous appetite.... for good college football. What we've gotten for the past 6 years or so is bad to mediocre football.

Louisville fans are pretty knowledgeable. We know the ACC is not any tougher than the Big East was. In fact, it may be a worse conference than the old Big East (the years we were in it). That's why I understand Louisville fans frustrations with Satterfield. Even with this great recruiting class coming in there's still a question if he can coach them up.

Petrino had the same caliber athletes as our CUSA and Big East brethren did
Our recruiting hasn't gotten the bump to align with the bump in competition in our tougher league.

We don't have the same caliber as our opponents do now like we did in the glory years. In some years in the past, we were arguably working with more than the league opponents.

We've never had a class better than 5th since joining the ACC. It's just almost always average compared to our league opponents.

5 out of 8 years in the Big East we're top 3. Top class once, runner-up twice.

Our talent didn't rise with the inflation.

Per Rivals
CUSA
2003 - 1st
2004 - 5th

Big East
2005 - 3rd
2006 - 2nd
2007 - 4th
2008 - 6th
2009 - 7th
2010 - 3rd
2011 - 1st
2012 - 2nd

American
2013 - 4th

ACC
2014 - 7th
2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th
2017 - 5th
2018 - 6th
2019 - Last
2020 - 6th
2021 - 8th
2022 - 7th

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
Our recruiting hasn't gotten the bump to align with the bump in competition in our tougher league.

We don't have the same caliber as our opponents do now like we did in the glory years. In some years in the past, we were arguably working with more than the league opponents.

We've never had a class better than 5th since joining the ACC. It's just almost always average compared to our league opponents.

Per Rivals
CUSA
2003 - 1st
2004 - 5th

Big East
2005 - 3rd
2006 - 2nd
2007 - 4th
2008 - 6th
2009 - 7th
2010 - 3rd
2011 - 1st
2012 - 2nd

American
2013 - 4th

ACC
2014 - 7th
2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th
2017 - 5th
2018 - 6th
2019 - Last
2020 - 6th
2021 - 8th
2022 - 7th
We don’t have classes as highly rated as some of our opponents. Actually, except for 2017, we’re pretty much in the middle.

The only way we will ever compete with UK, Clemson, FSU and other ACC schools is recruiting at or above their level, and having the same level of attendance. Satterfield appears to be on the verge of bringing in a recruiting class with a level of talent that meets everyone on our schedule other than Clemson.

We don’t have classes as highly rated as some of our opponents. Actually, except for 2017, we’re pretty much in the middle.
Not to belabor a point you made really well, but just to add a bit more... Look at our current class. On scout Rueben Owens is rated #23 nationally. I think that is our highest rated recruit ever.

Next look at the top of Clemson's 2020 class. They signed the #1, #7, #10, #20, #26 players along with 12 4-star players. And that was only the #3 rated class in the country that season.

I cherry picked that class, but it just highlights what we're up against in the recruiting wars. We are just not recruiting at the same level as the top teams in our league.

Also in the Big East, we could work around injuries because we were recruiting on the same level as the top teams in the league and much better than most. Now we can face Top 25 teams week after week. It's a different world, and the comparisons to Petrino 1.0 are like apples and oranges to me.

Reactions: Mayoman
Oh, you got me. He landed 2 great, local players. He also landed Lamar and 85 wide receivers. Do you really want to die on the hill of defending Petrino? He has never left a place better than he found it and did it to us twice. He is a leach.
Amen brother, amen!

GO CARDS!!!

Oh, you got me. He landed 2 great, local players. He also landed Lamar and 85 wide receivers. Do you really want to die on the hill of defending Petrino? He has never left a place better than he found it and did it to us twice. He is a leach.
Well, if we are talking Bobby 1.0, he also delivered us Eric Wood, Breno Giacomini, Mario Urrutia, William Gay, Harry Douglass, Amobi Okoye, Kolby Smith, among others.

Petrino 1.0 was a different beast. He had a wonderful staff and recruited really well.

I don’t know why people fight it takes elite players to be really good at any sport. They act like coaches just out scheme-out coach teams. Their schemes are only as good as the players they have executing it.

The elite coaches all recruit really well and have really good schemes.

In football recruiting has been a struggle in finding enough elite guys to compete at a high level.

Look at basketball, volleyball, swimming, baseball and field hockey these programs have really good players. That is the #1 reason those programs are really good. All these coaches say the same thing about their success….I have really good players.

Some look at this incoming class and blow it off like it isn’t a huge deal. It is a huge deal. It could be a program changing class.

If this class stays intact, something that will depend on retaining Satterfield, UL football will have a chance to compete equally with UK and with every single school on our schedule other than Clemson. I expect that Death Valley will continue to attract the quantity and quality of 5 stars that separate them from everybody not named Alabama.

Satterfield may not be the best Head Coach for UL, but he is the one who has obtained the verbal commitments from a class that appears right now to be unprecedented, and when compared to the classes we have signed in the past, it provides a lot of hope for the future.

Terminating CSS now would be a huge disaster for all concerned, and his termination at the end of the season would risk losing the 2023 class and placing the program in a position where it would be starting from scratch, as there is no clear indication of a successor who could rebuild under those circumstances. I encourage our fanbase to reserve further criticism until the end of this season and after this incoming class has signed LOIs. That will be the time to re-evaluate the job that Satterfield has done.

Let’s be clear they have to win enough this year. The class won’t save him at 4-5 wins. I think 6 is the number. I don’t this 6 without the class does it either. We shall see

If this class stays intact, something that will depend on retaining Satterfield, UL football will have a chance to compete equally with UK and with every single school on our schedule other than Clemson. I expect that Death Valley will continue to attract the quantity and quality of 5 stars that separate them from everybody not named Alabama.

Satterfield may not be the best Head Coach for UL, but he is the one who has obtained the verbal commitments from a class that appears right now to be unprecedented, and when compared to the classes we have signed in the past, it provides a lot of hope for the future.

Terminating CSS now would be a huge disaster for all concerned, and his termination at the end of the season would risk losing the 2023 class and placing the program in a position where it would be starting from scratch, as there is no clear indication of a successor who could rebuild under those circumstances. I encourage our fanbase to reserve further criticism until the end of this season and after this incoming class has signed LOIs. That will be the time to re-evaluate the job that Satterfield has done.
“Reserve further criticism.” Lol. Nope. In fact, you’ve just made things worse. 2-3 more wins on the schedule. Prepare accordingly.

Petrino should send Smith and Strong a Xmas present every year. They set him up for short term success that he was not able to maintain, twice.

I don't know about that. Kragthorpe inherited a team with 17 starters from the Orange Bowl team. Petrino sticks around another year, that 6-6 2007 team probably wins 10 or 11 games. I can't prove it but that's my opinion.

I will continue to go to the games and I will continue to criticize when warranted. As a fan clearly winning games and keeping the class intact is the goal. I just don’t think Satt has the chops to win enough games. I hope he proves me wrong.

Per Rivals
CUSA
2003 - 1st
2004 - 5th

Big East
2005 - 3rd
2006 - 2nd
2007 - 4th
2008 - 6th
2009 - 7th
2010 - 3rd
2011 - 1st
2012 - 2nd

American
2013 - 4th

ACC
2014 - 7th
2015 - 6th
2016 - 7th
2017 - 5th
2018 - 6th
2019 - Last
2020 - 6th
2021 - 8th
2022 - 7th
What tougher league are you referring to? You could argue that the The Big East (while we were members) was a much tougher league from top to bottom than the ACC has been since we've been members of it.

When you look at recruiting rankings it all comes down to coaching. We didn't get the bump in recruiting when we joined the ACC because Bobby 2.0 wasn't the Bobby of old and Satterfield when he first got to UL was determined to do things the APP State way. Recruit diamonds in the rough, smaller, "faster" players, etc. It hasn't been until recently that he was really upped his recruiting game.

Coaching matters..a lot. With the right guy at the helm we can be elite in short order. Our football history has proven that.

Losing Satterfield doesn't necessarily mean losing the class. That would be determined on who the next coach is. Let's say we hire say Deion Sanders as our next HC, I would imagine that the class would not only stay intact, but would also get better.

There is also no proof that Satterfield, if retained could coach these guys up, anyway. Satterfield has been here 4 years and has had several full recruiting classes and plenty of time to develop players. How many guys have gotten demonstrably better since he has been here? This should have been his break year, He has experience on both sides of the ball, added talent to the D-line, experienced O-line, a 6th year QB, and a good RB core with talent at WR. Instead we are debating if he can get to 6-7 wins. Satterfield in his 4 years here has been just an average coach. He's the only coach in recent Cardinal football history to have back to back losing seasons and not get fired. Why did the other guys get fired..because we aspire to more than being mediocre.

Depending on which narrative people are pushing, they will say things like:

1. If we win 5 or less games the class won't sign anyway. So fire Satt.
2. The class will sign no matter what because it's an Adidas class, not a Satterfield class. So fire Satt.
3. The class won't sign if Satterfield gets fired, they are tied to him. So keep Satt.
4. Even if the class signs, they may transfer later anyway. So fire Satt.
5. If we fire Satt we're starting over from scratch again. So keep Satt.
6. We need consistency more than anything right now, we can't afford to have a new coach every 3-4 years. So keep Satt.
7. Brohm hasn't done that good since the last time we looked at him and Ragone is an unknown. So keep Satt.

i've seen all of these statements made and more over the past month. The one truth I see in all of this is that we don't have a clear path forward. We could go either way and easily lose big long-term or hit it big.

I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Reactions: 2330859
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT