ADVERTISEMENT

Time for the fans to view UL football realistically

Yes Marbles, that is the reality. With that said, those predicting the “doom and gloom” find themselves crossing the line where they find themselves hoping this UL team loses in order to justify their adamant belief that Satterfield will be terminated.

Depending on which narrative people are pushing, they will say things like:

1. If we win 5 or less games the class won't sign anyway. So fire Satt.
2. The class will sign no matter what because it's an Adidas class, not a Satterfield class. So fire Satt.
3. The class won't sign if Satterfield gets fired, they are tied to him. So keep Satt.
4. Even if the class signs, they may transfer later anyway. So fire Satt.
5. If we fire Satt we're starting over from scratch again. So keep Satt.
6. We need consistency more than anything right now, we can't afford to have a new coach every 3-4 years. So keep Satt.
7. Brohm hasn't done that good since the last time we looked at him and Ragone is an unknown. So keep Satt.

i've seen all of these statements made and more over the past month. The one truth I see in all of this is that we don't have a clear path forward. We could go either way and easily lose big long-term or hit it big.

I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Yes sir. Any idiot can demand FARR THAT SONOFABEYITCH but in reality you have no wya of knowing if this will help or not. I'd love for this team to rally and finish 10-2, I want Satterfield to succeed, I really don't want to the program to reset and start over again. But I'll say it again, if he can't go 8-4 this year, it will never happen, and if they go 7-5 or worse then they need to fire Satterfield as long as Heird has had some talks behind the scenes with realistic likely candidates.

To me, teh most damning thing about Satterfield is that Malik, as talented as he is as an athlete, has not improved in his 13 years as a Cardinal. Malik now, Malik last year, Malik 100 years ago - the same guy. No development. And the defense....yeah. Four years.

But don't misunderstand - I want them to win, I want him to succeed. I just don't have much confidence and I won't until he shows me.

Reactions: BPGhost
Yes Marbles, that is the reality. With that said, those predicting the “doom and gloom” find themselves crossing the line where they find themselves hoping this UL team loses in order to justify their adamant belief that Satterfield will be terminated.
Clearly you are not reading the posts. I haven't seen anyone advocating for the team to lose so that Satterfield can be fired. You obviously are content with mediocrity because you think that is our ceiling, I guess. One could argue that whatever offensive success Sunbelt Scotty has brought to the Ville is solely based on a 6th senior QB who will be gone next year.

There are 40 P5 schools that have changed coaches numerous times over the last 40 years that are still 6-6, -5, or even 5-7.

Changing coaches does not guarantee success or I nterrupt the dynamic of the rich gets richer.

uk was in that boat until they settled on a guy and let him bake the cake.

When a HC leaves OU for USC and another leaves ND for LSU, how many destination jobs are there?

Avg years of HC tenure @ P5 is roughly 4 years.

These guys are just leaving for better or worse after a few rounds.

They are all mercenaries.

There will be anomalies.
When a HC leaves OU for USC and another leaves ND for LSU, how many destination jobs are there?

Avg years of HC tenure @ P5 is roughly 4 years.

These guys are just leaving for better or worse after a few rounds.

They are all mercenaries.

There will be anomalies.
Lincoln Riley leaving OU was a shock. But I think he was looking long term and with OU moving to the SEC West soon I think he seen an easier path to achieve his goals at USC. The PAC 12 is an overall weaker conference. Brian Kelly’s move is one that completely baffled me he had it made at ND. Guess it goes to show you that for that right money, most coaches will bolt.

There are 40 P5 schools that have changed coaches numerous times over the last 40 years that are still 6-6, -5, or even 5-7.

Changing coaches does not guarantee success or I nterrupt the dynamic of the rich gets richer.

uk was in that boat until they settled on a guy and let him bake the cake.
UK was in a different situation. They knew they weren't going to get a guy with a better football pedigree than a Stoops, albeit Mark not Bob.

UK was in a different situation. They knew they weren't going to get a guy with a better football pedigree than a Stoops, albeit Mark not Bob.
^^^This. Plus they have an AD whose default position is to extend coaches regardless. Sometimes it works (stupes) and sometimes it bites you in the ass (sweaty cow).

Also, sCuKs was awful when he arrived too. Like they would’ve been an average MAC team with their talent.

If you wanna compare why Stoops/Satt is different, look at the Gov Cup. By his 2nd year they were a lot tougher and should’ve beaten us in 2014 and they were up 21-0 in his 3rd year before Lamar bailed us out. We were really good those years and I remember those sUcKs teams pushed us hard despite having way less talent. We laughed at their pregame fights, taunting, L’s Down, and all the other stuff, but you could tell they had a new edge and didn’t back down. Satt’s teams cannot even compete.

I do remember that Stoops brought in some good recruits EARLY ON. Like they had some higher rated talent coming in early that he brought in. I think his first full cycle class they ranked in the top 20. So he could sell hope and a rebuild.

Satt hasn’t shown any real ability to identify talent and it took NIL and Adidas for him to get a decent class. Before NIL is kinda proof that Satt’s name didn’t really inspire any confidence. And if it takes that money to get them here, they’re not coming for him or this program and it makes me wonder if they’ll respect him or play that hard if this isn’t really where they want to be.

Stoops build something those players believe in. Say what you want about results, but he gets those guys to buy in and fight for him every game. That’s what Bobby 1.0 and Charlie teams had in common, they fought for this program. I don’t see that in Satt’s guys.

What tougher league are you referring to?

Long story short the only old BE program having success these days is Cincy and they coincidentally didn't move into a tougher league. The rest range from leaking oil to complete trash programs since their moves.

The ACC is tougher. There was never an auto loss in that old BE but you get one now in the ACC. But I get what you are saying about top to bottom I just don't agree with that either. My position on that is based on the fact that the majority of these programs crashed either immediately or eventually when the old BE disbanded and they had to get it on with new programs. The old BE put UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl. Crazy.

There are a lot of reasons why UofL has struggled to stay competitive and it's more than just "this coach bad, or that other coach was bad too."

Our Athletic Department was just in complete shambles and couldn't address some of the issues, like, this coach. So he got an extra year he might not have gotten if there weren't problems that are bigger than the HC. And I don't think we got the recruiting bump we hoped for. And the Cardinal Bird has not done his job lately either.

I'm not endorsing this HC. Will be interesting to see what happens with him when the season is over.

Last edited:
Lincoln Riley leaving OU was a shock. But I think he was looking long term and with OU moving to the SEC West soon I think he seen an easier path to achieve his goals at USC. The PAC 12 is an overall weaker conference. Brian Kelly’s move is one that completely baffled me he had it made at ND. Guess it goes to show you that for that right money, most coaches will bolt.
I don't have their contracts in front of me but they probably got offered a sh!ton of $ and just felt like the timing was good too.

Lamar “bailed us out” virtually every time he was on the field, as that pattern started in his opening freshmen year against Auburn, and it continues until he departed.

UK had a lot of SEC level talent when Stoops arrived as HC, but he struggled finding a QB to go along with the rest of the roster. It is no coincidence that having Will Levis at QB these last two years, has taken them up to another level.

I think Malik is a very special talent, but despite his statistics that rival Lamar, Cunningham has never had the ability to throw the football anywhere close to the consistency of the other ACC QBs, much less Lamar.

I do agree that I had hoped Malik would increase his accuracy as a senior, but at least thus far that has not happened. Satterfield must assume some responsibility for that lack of progression, but the season is not over yet.

Yes sir. Any idiot can demand FARR THAT SONOFABEYITCH but in reality you have no wya of knowing if this will help or not. I'd love for this team to rally and finish 10-2, I want Satterfield to succeed, I really don't want to the program to reset and start over again. But I'll say it again, if he can't go 8-4 this year, it will never happen, and if they go 7-5 or worse then they need to fire Satterfield as long as Heird has had some talks behind the scenes with realistic likely candidates.

To me, teh most damning thing about Satterfield is that Malik, as talented as he is as an athlete, has not improved in his 13 years as a Cardinal. Malik now, Malik last year, Malik 100 years ago - the same guy. No development. And the defense....yeah. Four years.

But don't misunderstand - I want them to win, I want him to succeed. I just don't have much confidence and I won't until he shows me.
Doesn’t Malik / Micale have any responsibility for his development? Is he simply a piece of clay that can be molded into anything the sculptor wants, depending on his skill? Maybe this is Malik’s ceiling.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Doesn’t Malik / Micale have any responsibility for his development? Is he simply a piece of clay that can be molded into anything the sculptor wants, depending on his skill? Maybe this is Malik’s ceiling.
Yes

We’ve had two years of “MC has really progressed…”

It’s one thing to “progress” in practice. It seems that in games, he still thinks his feet will do it. Every time.

People have pointed out that many times we only have two receivers out and we need more to keep DBs from double them and “play the field”.

I still don’t think MC can look past two. If 1 and maybe 2 aren’t open when he looks, he’s outta there. Teams know this now and are defending him better IMO.

If it ever “clicks” for him he’d be “Lamar-esque”. But I think that ship has sailed.

I like MC. I like his excitement. But I like winning more.

With our RB room I think we need an accurate passer more than we need “another” RB.

A sharp passing game would make our RBs even more dangerous.

And having some plays with MC and Brock both would create some panic in D’s IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman

Well, you're right, he could have been at his ceiling his first year as a starter. Usually they develop some though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT