ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on WVU joining the ACC?

LouisvilleMan1975

New Poster, Show Me Love
Dec 25, 2012
Louisville
As a Card fan I've got mixed feelings about it. On one thought I like it, very passionate fan base that travels really well. Competitive in the main 2 sports.

The second thought, some WVU fans always thought their program was light years ahead of ours. When the B12 decision came about. It really was a blessing that we didn't get in. Because we all know we landed nicely in the ACC. I know Notre Dame is the ultimate goal. But WVU wouldn't hurt either.

Your thoughts?

It makes sense. A lot of time has since passed, but at one time the AD at VT made clear they would never renew their relationship with WVU after a visit to Morgantown, “where WVU fans behaved the way that WVU fans behave”; as VT fans where the victims of that behavior.

Reactions: gocds
I think it would be a good fit but I agree with the problem with their fans. We went to game there when we were in the Big East and their fans were awful. There was a family of 4 the parents and 2 kids sitting above us. They had their pockets full of ricks and they were throwing them at the Louisville fans during the game.

WVU is in the same academic ballpark as UofL (UofL's is gradually improving). Their major revenue sports are good. Their fan behavior is abominable. The ACC doesn't want them (academics). Their addition to the ACC would guarantee a bunch more eyeballs to ACC games. They ARE a state institution. They are a proud people. They would be a great add for Pitt. Virginia Tech too. Louisville fans would probably like playing them every 2-7 years. I don't have any idea how ESPN would value their addition to the ACC. To me, if it were a neutral media addition, I probably wouldn't consider it. If it were positive, I would lean toward it. Their addition would hurt the B12 even further, if that's an objective.

From an original ACC Tobacco Road perspective, no one would support it. But of course many of those folks would rather not have Syracuse, BC, Pitt or Louisville either.

I'm neutral on it. I can go either way.

My most important criterion would be helping the long term financial viability and thus sports performance viability of the ACC as a whole.

Fan behavior means nothing to the ADs. If it were about academics we would not have gotten in. We got in because we make $$$. And it helps having the #1 DMA in basketball [we were at the time and probably still high now if not #1]. I dont know where WVU ranks in $$$ and DMA's but that is what will ultimately decide their fate.

Fan behavior means nothing to the ADs. If it were about academics we would not have gotten in. We got in because we make $$$. And it helps having the #1 DMA in basketball [we were at the time and probably still high now if not #1]. I dont know where WVU ranks in $$$ and DMA's but that is what will ultimately decide their fate.
Speaking of $$$, UofL, and I’m going from memory, is the second highest revenue generating ACC school. That’s top 20 nationally. Not bad for a city school.

Speaking of $$$, UofL, and I’m going from memory, is the second highest revenue generating ACC school. That’s top 20 nationally. Not bad for a city school.
That is correct, and is reported as-of the latest available data, ending I think in June 30, 2019. As we all know, that outsized revenue for a school such as ours stems largely from its basketball-related revenue. UofL is one of the few schools which have EXTREMELY high revenue from basketball and a very modest revenue from FB. The little city commuter school had done well as of June 2019.

Florida State was the only higher revenue earner in the ACC.

No doubt the Cards have done well in the revenue department as of mid 2019. Relying especially on basketball.

I do not have the numbers in front of me, but FB at Louisville ranks around ~47th in revenue as of two years ago. BB is #1 or #2.

Last edited:
It will have nothing to do with who the fans like; I am quite confident that WVU's AD has already initiated dialogue with those ACC officials that he/she knows. No down-side to talking, as the real decision will be determined by TV revenues.

Reactions: gocds and CardVille
Does WVU make ACC more money?

Does WVU increase likelihood ND would join fully?

Does the addition of WVU affect the Grant of Rights which forces ACC schools (including Clemson and FSU) to stay in the fold?

I don’t know the answers but these are the questions that matter.

I’m fine with it but I’d rather add Cincinnati. It just doesn’t seem right not playing them in football and basketball every year and their current football team is likely top 10 as they were most of last season.

ND will never tell any conference If you then we will join your conference. ND doesn't do things like Texas. ND will do what's best for ND period. Heck ND doesn't listen to it's boosters, alumni, or fans. They do what's best for their university, the players, and sports teams.

Hell no to WVU.

After they got the Big XII invite, having to hear Senator Manchin say "Just get better Louisville!" is enough for me to NEVER help WVU out EVER. They are a state institution, but their state is shrinking.

Cincy .... a rival who doesn't throw cups of piss on visiting fans. They've built a solid football team, respectable in other sports. Adds to the footprint. We could do a LOT worse than Cincy.

Central Florida .... Disney Tech seems to be on the rise. Massive enrollment. Solidifying the state of Florida could be interesting. Miami has never met expectations. And Florida State has sucked lately, and I mean SUCKED. It'd be nice to have a school in Florida actually live UP to expectations. So maybe the Golden Knights should be seriously considered.

Big 8 orphans? ..... an argument could be made for snagging a school in Texas. Maybe even 2. Or pair one of them up with Oklahoma State. I dunno ....

Which ever schools help the ACC grow financially is the ultimate answer. I just hope that WVU isn't one of those schools that does. Their fans are horrific.

Reactions: kypecos
If ND doesn't want in, I'm for UC and WVU. I think that makes this region more interesting for us. Traveling again to Morgantown couldn't give me the best penthouse for free, free food and all the liquor and limo service. No way!!!!

Notre Dame could have a problem if they remain independent to long and don’t pay attention. If everybody goes to bigger conferences ND could find out that scheduling good teams could become a problem.

doesn't Baylor meet the academic requirements, the acc looks for?

It probably does, but it is 930 miles from Georgia Tech, and that is the closest ACC school. It's 1300 miles from Miami, 1600 from Syracuse, and 1900 from Boston. From a logistics standpoint it would be a worse fit than WVU is to the Big 12.

Last edited:
I see WVU and UCF being part of the ACC in some fashion. And ND continuing in their present association with the ACC. The ACC controls the TV market on the east coast along with viewership for the BIG and the SEC. ND contributes mightily to the TVs being on the ACC and the addition of WVU and UCF only adds to that. I think both of those fan bases suck but that just makes them more valuable as conference mates. Just my ten cents worth. Let us not forget the value of basketball in all of this conference realignment conversations, especially on the east coast.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: 2330859 and Ara64
WVU competes in football and basketball. They've shown they can be a ranked team in football. They'll be a good pickup.

I see WVU and UCF being part of the ACC in some fashion. And ND continuing in their present association with the ACC. The ACC controls the TV market on the east coast along with viewership for the BIG and the SEC. ND contributes mightily to the TVs being on the ACC and the addition of WVU and UCF only adds to that. I think both of those fan bases suck but that just makes them more valuable as conference mates. Just my ten cents worth. Let us not forget the value of basketball in all of this conference realignment conversations, especially on the east coast.

GO CARDS!!!
We do have a habit of agreeing with each other. I personally think that's what Uncle Jack has in mind. I think ND has tried hard to be a good member of the ACC. From what I've read the ACC approached ND about playing a full schedule last year. It worked and showed Irish fans and alumni that playing a conference schedule isn't the end of ND football. ND's whole identity is built around being independent. 134 years of tradition is a lot to give up. I would be willing to give up the 50 men's and women's sports teams than force ND to give up it's football independence. Again if that should happen then I want ND football in the ACC.

Reactions: 2330859 and gocds
I've been to Morgantown twice, 2005 and 2007 Both times involved some uncomfortable interactions with their fans. Young, old, male, female. Batteries, pennies, and ice balls have been thrown at my groups. During the 2005 trip an 80 year old lady looked at my friend, put her finger in his face and said "I don't like Louisville, and I don't like you", then slapped him strongly across his face. That same trip a monster of a mountain man approached another guy in our group and straight up challenged him to a fight outside the restrooms. It took all of us to convince the guy we would gang up on him to get him to leave. After the epic 3 OT loss we were surprised how ugly and nasty people were. We were again physically threatened had to pick up our pace to exit the area. During the 2007 visit my group was physically threated for going to the will call window to pick up our game tickets. That particular trip melting snow was on the ground and had refroze into ice. They threw ice chunks at my group outside and inside the stadium. After that game we decided to go to a local WVY themed pub called Davey Crockett's We sat down at the bar and immdeiately were surronded by 10 guys. One of them tapped me on my shoulder and told me "You have alot of nerve coming in here. Visiting fans don't come in here. But since you were brave enough your dinner and drinks are us." That was a weird situation, but they literally bought everything we could eat or drink and ended up having a pretty good time.

With all that said I still thought the rivalry was great. For the good of the ACC and getting to play another school you love to hate, I say bring the Eers in. If ND wants to stay independent, grab Cincinnati at the same time and suddenly UofL has old rivals back that surpass any rivalry we have going with other ACC schools.

I've been to Morgantown twice, 2005 and 2007 Both times involved some uncomfortable interactions with their fans. Young, old, male, female. Batteries, pennies, and ice balls have been thrown at my groups. During the 2005 trip an 80 year old lady looked at my friend, put her finger in his face and said "I don't like Louisville, and I don't like you", then slapped him strongly across his face. That same trip a monster of a mountain man approached another guy in our group and straight up challenged him to a fight outside the restrooms. It took all of us to convince the guy we would gang up on him to get him to leave. After the epic 3 OT loss we were surprised how ugly and nasty people were. We were again physically threatened had to pick up our pace to exit the area. During the 2007 visit my group was physically threated for going to the will call window to pick up our game tickets. That particular trip melting snow was on the ground and had refroze into ice. They threw ice chunks at my group outside and inside the stadium. After that game we decided to go to a local WVY themed pub called Davey Crockett's We sat down at the bar and immdeiately were surronded by 10 guys. One of them tapped me on my shoulder and told me "You have alot of nerve coming in here. Visiting fans don't come in here. But since you were brave enough your dinner and drinks are us." That was a weird situation, but they literally bought everything we could eat or drink and ended up having a pretty good time.

With all that said I still thought the rivalry was great. For the good of the ACC and getting to play another school you love to hate, I say bring the Eers in. If ND wants to stay independent, grab Cincinnati at the same time and suddenly UofL has old rivals back that surpass any rivalry we have going with other ACC schools.
From a rivalry perspective, we don't have any real rivals in the ACC. Cards and Clemson started off in the right direction early on, then they left us in the dust. WVU would bring, due to both proximity and history, a natural rival, though, they'd be more likely charged up to play Pitt, Va. Tech, and UVA than us.

WVU is hated by many schools in the ACC and certainly by many Card fans. If the ACC decides to expand, and that's a big if, there are better candidates such as UC (large TV market with athletic success) and maybe UCF or UAB (get some TV coverage in Alabama). Or maybe, finally, force ND's hand. Who knows? Just not WVU.

WVU is hated by many schools in the ACC and certainly by many Card fans. If the ACC decides to expand, and that's a big if, there are better candidates such as UC (large TV market with athletic success) and maybe UCF or UAB (get some TV coverage in Alabama). Or maybe, finally, force ND's hand. Who knows? Just not WVU.
None of those schools bring anything worth having to the ACC. They don’t move the ESPN needle one bit. Only ND does. And UAB is literally controlled by Bama. And do you think FSU or Miami want UCF? Heck I don’t want another FL P5 or whatever will be in the future competing for more FL players. Nope we stand pat for now.
Besides now there’s reports that Clemson and FSU are flirting with the SEC. Not sure how they get around the GOR at a cool 480 mil per school, but the slime balls at ESPN are involved so who knows

I think any further moves by the sec will be fairly soon and quick, ie, Texas and Oklahoma. If FSU and/or Clemson are leaving we should know very soon - like by Monday or Tuesday. I don’t think they will move but that could be wishful thinking on my part. The ACC provides a better opportunity for Clemson and FSU to compete for national honors being in a small pond like the ACC rather than in the sec. just my own opinion.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Mayoman and 2330859
Both of GOCDS posts on this thread make perfect sense, but admittedly I agree with him on most everything but politics.

I totally understand the dislike that PG expressed, along with Cardwiz; as I saw the same WVU fan behavior firsthand, just as the VT fans experienced decades ago. However, WVU football is popular beyond the Mountaineer state; as their length rivalry with Maryland, UL, UK, Pittsburgh, Boston College and Miami remains a TV attraction according to both the ACC and ESPN.

If Clemson moves to the SEC as some are suggesting, they will be disappointed when discovering just how difficult it will be to return to a NC a game, as their existing position in the ACC is an envious route.

I agree with you regarding Clemson to the ACC, they would have a tougher road to the playoffs. The same for Norte Dame staying independent. If we go to super conferences ND is also going to find it hard for them to schedule quality opponents.

I don't think ND would have any trouble scheduling quality opponents if the stay independent. You play ND before sellout crowds and you will be covered on tv. What makes sense for ND is you can't get into the top six without winning a conference championship game. I think if ND moves to join the ACC; I think FSU and Clemson stays where they belong. The changing landscape of college football makes this the right time to join the ACC. Interesting days lay ahead for all of college football.

I remember a lot of posts on other ACC boards saying the same things about UofL that many are saying about Cincy etc.

Exact same stuff.
They've shown they're generally a step above all the other G5 schools in football. Great facilities. Big market. A basketball program with a good tradition. And, they fit geographically.

Honestly, better them than Memphis State.

Reactions: PHCARD
Hell to the NO on WVU. Give me Cincy or give me death...or no one at all.

ND wake up and smell the ACC lifeline...before it is too late.

The way the scheduling is now ND wouldn’t have any problem but if they went to super conferences that would be a different story. Those conferences would have too many teams inside the conference to play outside conference games.
I think they should let ND join the conference and keep their own TV money. The Metro Conference did it with Florida State years ago.

Reactions: rh62531
I enjoy the relationship between ND and the ACC as it stands presently. And I see no reason to discontinue that relationship. Apparently ND fans don’t have a problem with it as well. But as someone else indicated the ND fans do not make the decisions for ND. Oh well all I can do is hope that the powers that be at ND like the ACC relationship. The over riding factor and question in adding schools (Cincy, Baylor, etc.) should be what ($$$$$) do the bring to the conference and the existing members. I believe the academic questions are a moot point. None of us is Harvard, Yale or Stanford so let’s just move on from these academic questions and discuss the other pertinent questions like how many people do they put in their stadiums and arenas. That’s where the rubber meets the road.

GO CARDS!!!

All Notre Dame wants is a conference for their 48 Olympic sports programs. They made 26 million dollars last year off the NBC and ACC conference while the ACC members made around 34 million each. Does it really sound like ND needs the money? The ACC member teams actually makes more money by keeping ND as four fifths(42% in football) member. Go ahead and bring WV and Cincinnati then let ND stay a four fifths member. It's obvious that the university is happy in the ACC and that's all that really matters. The same appears to be so with the ACC head.

Last edited:
I just finished listening to Reece Davis and Paul Finebaum discussing this subject in more detail from people who know a little more on what’s going on behind the scenes. This is about more money of course but what they say the Super Conference will replace the NFL in regards to top viewership. This extra money the SEC or any Super Conference makes wil be used in part to pay the salaries of players in these conferences (NIL).
The same amount of money won’t be generated by other schools including ND they would not make enough money to keep up with the Super Conference teams. I am sorry but without being in a Super Conference neither would Louisville. The only thing that could save schools from not being in a Super Conference in football would be for colleges to break away from the NCAA and keep their basketball money. The basketball revenue is equal to the football money if they don’t have to share it with the NCAA. It is long overdue for this to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT