ADVERTISEMENT

This season moving forward...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
What’s Petrino and the team have to accomplish to get back my faith? It may be super unrealistic after watching that mess last night but I’m thinking 9-2 or 8-3. Anything less? I think I’m done.

Reactions: wilkie01
I said in another post a beat down can go either way. It will depend on the leadership on the team. We will know by game 3 if the team and staff are moving in the right direction.

I think 7-4 is probably realistic for a team that is completely running a new defense with a lot of new people. I was hoping the offense would be good enough to win some of those games where the defense failed. I am not sure what to think of the of the offense at this point

Last edited:
7-4 or 6-5 is realistic. Puma has a lot of upside but he has to make better decisions in his reads. I suspect he will.

7-4 or 6-5 is realistic. Puma has a lot of upside but he has to make better decisions in his reads. I suspect he will.
What teams do you think we’ll lose to going forward? Do some of you not realize what we went against yesterday? Alabama is the same Alabama as always, except with a higher powered offense. Ask Georgia about the difference Tua makes for them.

What teams do you think we’ll lose to going forward? Do some of you not realize what we went against yesterday? Alabama is the same Alabama as always, except with a higher powered offense. Ask Georgia about the difference Tua makes for them.

Well we could win or lose to almost everyone on this schedule sans Indiana State and WKU. I'm not counting any other games as sure wins including against UofK.

I watched some other ACC games yesterday. Georgia Tech is going to be difficult to beat. We've always had issues with BC, Wake Forrest, and Syracuse. We have yet to beat Clemson and it's not happening this year either. NC State didn't look too good yesterday so maybe that's another sure win. That's just 3. Can we win 3 or 4 of the toss up games? I'm hopeful.

I’m not as down on this team as some of you are, that Bama team will prove to be head and shoulders above EVERYONE as long as Tua stays healthy. Look at what they did yesterday and in the second half against Georgia, that team isn’t losing.

They are 0-1, these records are what is left on schedule.

If they don't clean up the things they will not win the 50-50 games.

I’m not as down on this team as some of you are, that Bama team will prove to be head and shoulders above EVERYONE as long as Tua stays healthy. Look at what they did yesterday and in the second half against Georgia, that team isn’t losing.

People can take false comfort in claiming Alabama is the greatest team of all time but I don't think Alabama, especially on defense, is anything like they were last year. They lost a ton of NFL talent. Last year's Alabama defense last night would have been really ugly.

People can take false comfort in claiming Alabama is the greatest team of all time but I don't think Alabama, especially on defense, is anything like they were last year. They lost a ton of NFL talent. Last year's Alabama defense last night would have been really ugly.
False comfort? Did you watch the second half with Tua against Georgia? They are a completely different team with him, and Georgia had a stout defense.

False comfort? Did you watch the second half with Tua against Georgia? They are a completely different team with him, and Georgia had a stout defense.

I was talking about their defense which was much stronger and more experienced last season. As I said, there is nothing positive about last night. Could Alabama have made it 80-0? Maybe but they treated us just like any other downtrodden program they might play in a season opener. It was just a tune up playing at 3 quarters speed until they start playing against better teams. Petrino's 2014 team with Strong's talent might have kept this game reasonably close well into the second half. Sad to say, we have nowhere near that level of talent in the program now.

I was talking about their defense which was much stronger and more experienced last season. As I said, there is nothing positive about last night. Could Alabama have made it 80-0? Maybe but they treated us just like any other downtrodden program they might play in a season opener. It was just a tune up playing at 3 quarters speed until they start playing against better teams. Petrino's 2014 team with Strong's talent might have kept this game reasonably close well into the second half. Sad to say, we have nowhere near that level of talent in the program now.
Overall I believe Bama will be a better team than last year, they have a dangerous offense to go with a stout defense.

Overall I believe Bama will be a better team than last year, they have a dangerous offense to go with a stout defense.

Maybe, maybe not but Saban is not going to run a wide open offense regardless of who the quarterback is. His game is defense and ball control. Our only hope last night was to put points on the board early and make them play from behind which they hate to do. We simply don't have the talent to compete nor the coach to make it happen. Playing Alabama is not an excuse to suck.

I said in another post a beat down can go either way. It will depend on the leadership on the team. We will know by game 3 if the team and staff are moving in the right direction.

I think 7-4 is probably realistic for a team that is completely running a new defense with a lot of new people. I was hoping the offense would be good enough to win some of those games where the defense failed. I am not sure what to think of the of the offense at this point
So your basing this off going against Alabama defense ? You must not watch FB much name a team that has looked good against them ?

Looking forward there’s probably only one game the Cards can’t lose- ISU. However there’s only one I don’t see how they can win - Clemson. The rest can go either way. Some we are more likely to win - WKU, @ UVa, Wake, NC St, UK, and @ Cuse. The others we are more likely to lose - FSU, GA Tech, and @ BC. I said before season 7-5. I still think 7-5 is most likely.

So your basing this off going against Alabama defense ? You must not watch FB much name a team that has looked good against them ?

He might be basing it on everything he has seen since Petrino's return. Based on that no one could seriously believe we are going to suddenly morph into a top 20 team. I think 7 wins might be a stretch. I tend to see 5 or 6 wins this year as more realistic.

Self imposed penalties and missed tackles are fixable.

I do think our D looked better than last year. We had a couple nice forced fumbles with hard hitting and helmet on the ball so that's a plus going forward.

I think Puma will get much better as the season progresses. He looked "new" last night against Bama and really only had one bad throw by my count (the 2nd pick overthrow).

Running game was non-existent but probably due to Bama more than our o-line.

As for o-line, Puma didn't have to run for his life like LJ did. He had time to throw most of the plays which is good.

I am still disappointed over our showing last night but I think we can get at least 7 wins.

Exactly. Good Lord, We lost last night to one of the few college football dynasties in history. (Yes, like the Green Bay Packers of pro football in the 60s, Bama has won 5 Championships in 9 years.). That’s a dynasty, and I’m one who believes that the word is thrown around too casually lately.

We didn’t look good but what did anyone really expect, breaking in a new QB, multiple defensive starters and a new defensive Coordinator and scheme against the defending National Champions in the opener?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT