ADVERTISEMENT

This is the season Walz gets it done

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I'm officially predicting the Louisville Cardinals will win the Women's national championship next April.

After several chances that fell short, this is the best overall roster I think Walz has had at Louisville. Of course I haven't seen the transfers in action yet, but looking at how good they have been before putting on the Cardinals uniform, I expect continued excellence.

Walz finally has a deep and tall front court. So much so he's allowing Cochran to play some on the perimeter. Coach also has tall guards/wings who can shoot and handle the rock. He has a All-America point guard and a all conference transfer point guard. He still has the defensive maniac in Robinson and experienced depth with Kono and Russell.

And there's the highly regarded freshman class that may have one or two who break into the rotation, probably at the small forward position.

With so many experienced players returning with a slew of top rated transfers and a top 5 recruiting class, this is the season the Louisville Cardinals will cut down the nets.

Reactions: Deeva
I agree I think this team is definitely another Final Four team and could win it all. I think your spot on with the personnel and I am looking forward to seeing Alexia Mobley’s contribution after her redshirt year. This will be another fun year watching the women navigate there way to another ACC Title.

I agree I think this team is definitely another Final Four team and could win it all. I think your spot on with the personnel and I am looking forward to seeing Alexia Mobley’s contribution after her redshirt year. This will be another fun year watching the women navigate there way to another ACC Title.
Mobley out at least four weeks with foot injury.

--sonja--

I'm officially predicting the Louisville Cardinals will win the Women's national championship next April.

After several chances that fell short, this is the best overall roster I think Walz has had at Louisville. Of course I haven't seen the transfers in action yet, but looking at how good they have been before putting on the Cardinals uniform, I expect continued excellence.

Walz finally has a deep and tall front court. So much so he's allowing Cochran to play some on the perimeter. Coach also has tall guards/wings who can shoot and handle the rock. He has a All-America point guard and a all conference transfer point guard. He still has the defensive maniac in Robinson and experienced depth with Kono and Russell.

And there's the highly regarded freshman class that may have one or two who break into the rotation, probably at the small forward position.

With so many experienced players returning with a slew of top rated transfers and a top 5 recruiting class, this is the season the Louisville Cardinals will cut down the nets.
If you think this current roster is better than the 2018 roster that had Evans, Durr, Fuehring, Shook, Jaz Jones , Carter, Dunham and Diop....you're sadly mistaken.

--sonja--

Reactions: WahooCard
I think both of these team are comparable which bodes well for us. In 2018 if it weren’t for some bad calls by the refs we would have been in the title game. In order to get to the FF and beyond you have to have a good team and good coaches. On top of that you also need luck on your side.

--sonja--
You probably do not know the answer. but you did mention that Mobley will be "out at least 4 weeks". Since she has been seen with crutches and boot over a week ago and the first game is not until November 7, can we then say she will miss the first couple of weeks and be ready for the Bahamas games? That is certainly over 4 weeks from the time of the injury.

--sonja--
Im no orthopedic suregon, just going by what she said. She uses a "scooter" to get around. Let's hope she heals quickly and completely.

--sonja--

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing teams is really not an exact science particularly since we have not seen the current team in action. We are looking at the 2018's accomplishments, perhaps through rose colored glasses. Those caught up the McDonald's hero worship will point out that the 2018 tean had more McDonald players. Of course those are high school basketball credentials. I think the current team has all of the ingredients to be very good, perhaps even another final four team and rival the Gamecocks and Huskies.

Reactions: TheRealVille
If you think this current roster is better than the 2018 roster that had Evans, Durr, Fuehring, Shook, Jaz Jones , Carter, Dunham and Diop....you're sadly mistaken.

--sonja--
Well that is a historic roster and as it stands today yes, that's the better roster. What I was trying to convey was this current roster, in my opinion, will ultimately be the best roster Jeff Walz has had.

But maybe I'm wrong and apparently sad.

Yes they did have Hines-Allen who was a beast inside. Dana was just a freshmen that year and it took her a couple of years before she found her game. When she finally found it she was impressive.

Maybe, to frame it a little better, this roster may be built in such a way it gives them the best chance at a nat’l championship. Pure star power, yes, that other squad was awesome. This team has better size and depth. You have high-quality at G, F and in the post. No idea if they gel and execute at the highest of levels. I hope so. The pieces are all there to be GREAT.

This roster is potentially deeper than any roster we have had before. I would compare this roster to 2018, I think we are stronger in many areas, but the difference to me is Coach has evolved and he’s absolutely one of the best in the business right now.
He’s ready…. And considering how we played S.Carolina last year, if we develop as expected, we have a great shot at cutting down those nets…..

Just my own opinion, but I have no problem with Jeff’s not having won the NC, nor do I expect that it will be this year. The criteria for “winning it all”, is more about the competition than it is about our own talent. NCST and South Carolina were simply better than us last year, and Stanford, ND, UConn teams that we have faced in past seasons were very special in their own ways and the matchups were difficult for our rosters.

We have enjoyed rosters with adequate size, but some of the aforementioned opponents simply had superior inside presence that we could not overcome. I like the increased size we have this coming year, but I am not sure how we fill in for the versatility and energy that graduated last year.

Just my own opinion, but I have no problem with Jeff’s not having won the NC, nor do I expect that it will be this year. The criteria for “winning it all”, is more about the competition than it is about our own talent. NCST and South Carolina were simply better than us last year, and Stanford, ND, UConn teams that we have faced in past seasons were very special in their own ways and the matchups were difficult for our rosters.

We have enjoyed rosters with adequate size, but some of the aforementioned opponents simply had superior inside presence that we could not overcome. I like the increased size we have this coming year, but I am not sure how we fill in for the versatility and energy that graduated last year.
That is a reasonable take. I don’t harbor any resentment over not having a Nat’l Championship. UofL’s teams have been great- we have nothing to complain about - at all. I do believe, like every year, we lost some great talent. And this year, like most, the incoming talent is just as good. Emily isnthe biggest loss (let’s be honest). Yet, between the transfers and Fr - I like what we have.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Emily was a joy to watch and I agree; she was the sort of talent who could take a team well beyond expectations.

Hailey is a special talent, not because of her athleticism, but she doesn’t hesitate to make that extra pass, something Dana rarely did and Asia never did. That’s why I like this years team. Octavia is going to be a match up problem once she starts to extend her range. We have the bigs to match up, and our young talent is hungry….. this could be a special season.

S.Carolina is more talented, but we played them tough last year. We have some girls that have a lot of experience on the roster…. I see a huge season coming up….

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT