ADVERTISEMENT

These Guys Know How to Play

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Young in lots of places but the PG is in control and it's pretty cool seeing all these FR contribute and know how to play. Dre Davis is high motor his and one late today probably saved the game really the entire game he got after it and made smart hustle plays. Withers impressed me he is only going to get better, pretty solid on the glass. Obviously JJ made HUGE plays down the stretch.

Not the most talented team but that isn't always the bottom line. That was a good win.

Having Jones at the point to keep the youngsters in line is vital for this team. It also helps DJ who can settle in at the 2G spot.

Davis is going to be a special player for the Cards IMO. He has a lot of energy and strength. JJ is going to be special too once he gains some muscle. Withers has surprised. That redshirt year has really helped him, a lot.

Any word on Sam? All they said on TV was he suffered a toe injury.

I like our young players they have talent and they play hard we have a long way to go but we could be pretty good by the end of the year.
Agreed. We've had decent starts each year under Mack. This year, I'll welcome a decent finish for a change...

It’s amazing the difference when you have Jones, Williamson, and Johnson as your lead guards instead of Perry, Kimble, and McMahon

We have much better athletes on the court this year. Nwora, Sutton, McMahon, and Enoch had limits at times last year, just not as fast. These guys are much longer and quicker. I think there’s room for growth.

Last edited:
Since we are a little short on size but have a number of good athletes, would be great IMO to see us push the ball up the court a little more. We did try a few times, and it's only 2 games with all these young guys.... but it looks like we have a few guys that could get to the rim in the open court, and also more good passers than in some years

Since we are a little short on size but have a number of good athletes, would be great IMO to see us push the ball up the court a little more. We did try a few times, and it's only 2 games with all these young guys.... but it looks like we have a few guys that could get to the rim in the open court, and also more good passers than in some years

Could be! I think they need to get a few healthy bodies back to do it. Feels like they are down to 7 guys now?

It’s amazing the difference when you have Jones, Williamson, and Johnson as your lead guards instead of Perry, Kimble, and McMahon

We have much better athletes on the court this year. Nwora, Sutton, McMahon, and Enoch had limits at times last year, just not as fast. These guys are much longer and quicker. I think there’s room for growth.

Jones is a major upgrade @ PG compared to what we've had in years really. Defenses have to deal with him, he has good handles gets where he wants to get, and that loosens it up for some other guys for sure. I agree overall the guard/wing position is more difficult to stop, DJ and Sam can put it on the floor.

As far as the bigs, it feels like the mentality is different. Just feels a little tougher even at younger ages than previous guys not named Sutton.

Reactions: shutterbug
Jones dribbles with a purpose. Last year we were dribbling just to be dribbling.

Reactions: PHCARD
Jones is a major upgrade @ PG compared to what we've had in years really. Defenses have to deal with him, he has good handles gets where he wants to get, and that loosens it up for some other guys for sure. I agree overall the guard/wing position is more difficult to stop, DJ and Sam can put it on the floor.

As far as the bigs, it feels like the mentality is different. Just feels a little tougher even at younger ages than previous guys not named Sutton.
This new game is much quicker. Everyone can shoot and guys like Enoch are dinosaurs.

Traynor, Davis, Withers, and Slaz just seem to be a lot quicker. We can guard a lot more. The inexperience is gonna play a role at times and the depth with injuries, but I think these guys have BIG upside.

Jones has a ton of experience and it shows. He knows when to slow down and when to speed up. He is usually under control and in command of the offense when the ball is in his hands. He rebounds well too. I think he is THE main key player for UofL to have success in the ACC.

This new game is much quicker. Everyone can shoot and guys like Enoch are dinosaurs.

Traynor, Davis, Withers, and Slaz just seem to be a lot quicker. We can guard a lot more. The inexperience is gonna play a role at times and the depth with injuries, but I think these guys have BIG upside.

Enoch could shoot, he just didn't completely understand the game IMO - he was a reluctant passer not necessarily out of greed, just felt that was the best approach but with shooters around him maybe the kick out pass was the play he just didn't quite figure out.

What I see from the current "bigs" is a group of guys not really all that worried about points. Multiple guys taking charges vs Seton Hall...guys putting in work on the D end as well as having the ability to shoot it a little. Undersized so maybe putting in more work on the glass.

It was just one game but a fan of the Cards has to like the approach these young guys seem to have right now.

I really liked that the freshmen were not afraid of the clutch moments in a very close game and made some tough plays. With all the injuries and inexperience, this team will take some lumps but I like the toughness and confidence shown so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT