ADVERTISEMENT

The usual "next season" predictions for UK

WLGenerals posted on 1/5/2015...
Again, time will tell, we should get Harris this week (and he is in the same caliber as Chubb) and have numerous high 3 to 4 star quality players that have us in their finals. We are already doing well for 2016.

No he is not the same caliber as Chubb, no way have watched Harris to many times, he doesn't like to get hit and when he does get hit a lot he gets hurt. Chubb is a legit future Heisman candidate, honestly gonna be surprised if Harris makes it at the next level, he is not playing against the talent here in Kentucky he will be playing against at the next level there will be defensive linemen who can and will catch him in college.

Forgot the exact stats but believe they said that the only Georgia running back with more yards in a season was Herschel Walker and that was competing in 11 to 12 games Chubb only had time in 7 to 8. He's a stud the real deal not saying Harris can't be but he's gonna have to prove it.

Originally posted by WLGenerals:
Surely you can see that this is not Joker Phillips's KY team.
Actually when it comes to on the field I can't see it. Joker beat Tennessee. Tennessee never hung 50 on Joker. Georgia has gone 59 and 63 on Stupes back to back. Yeah Vandy has fallen off a lot and you had a tshirt inspiring win over 6-6 USC, but what else are you hanging your hat on? Against teams not names Martin, Ohio, Vandy, Monroe and SC you pretty much stunk the joint up. . . AGAIN. The annual moral victories notwithstanding.

Especially in Commonwealth this year and for many years to come.
Yes because that's always been such a tough place to play. You got a moral victory over us in 2013, but actually in the modern series we've gone 7-4 against you at CWS.

Originally posted by CardFan1130:

Surely you can see that this is not Joker Phillips's KY team.
Actually when it comes to on the field I can't see it. Joker beat Tennessee. Tennessee never hung 50 on Joker. Georgia has gone 59 and 63 on Stupes back to back. Yeah Vandy has fallen off a lot and you had a tshirt inspiring win over 6-6 USC, but what else are you hanging your hat on? Against teams not names Martin, Ohio, Vandy, Monroe and SC you pretty much stunk the joint up. . . AGAIN. The annual moral victories notwithstanding.
Joker would not have had any worse record than Stoops.

Two of UK Better players the past 7 years can from the JuCo Ranks...Z. Smith and Stevie Johnson...

As far as the OP UofL been hearing this like forever...when UofL loses Redmon, Ragone, Ibn Green, Deion Branch, Dwayne White, Elvis Dumervil, Amobi Okoye, John L. Smith, Charlie Strong and this past year-(UofL lost 7 Starters on Defense, three 1st Round Picks including Teddy Bridgewater) and moving to the ACC and had Notre Dame on the road UofL would be lucky to win 6 Game...that was the UK Fan Base...instead UofL won 9 Regular Season Games and will Finish in the Final Polls in the Top 25...FYI, Everyone below UofL inclu those in the Receiving Votes Category also lost their Bowl Game...UofL is not going to fall out of the AP, Coaches and if they have one the Final CFP Rankings...will be Top 25 for the 3rd Straight year and with our Highest Recruiting Class during that Time Period at 29th

Transfers,much like JUCO are a gamble. Our running back Heard was a 5 star but lost the starting job to Jo Jo, a true freshman 4 star by year end.
At least know your players. JoJo Kemp is a soph. It was Boom Williams. But anyway, you all were raving about Heard and how no one would be able to stop him. Hell Harris could end up being the next Al Baker, whom everyone wanted. Had it all. But like many said, you're the best team in the country from January to August. Then you have to play the games. . . and it is rarely pretty.

Again, time will tell, we should get Harris this week (and he is in the same caliber as Chubb)
Umm no he isn't. For one Chubb outweighs him by about 20 lbs but is just as fast if not faster.

I agree, the rankings don't tell the entire story, but you have seen a marked improvement in UK's since Stoops and crew came on board. . We were in the 60's or worse, signing MAC or CUSA type players, certainly not the caliber of SEC or even the ACC.
Again, time will tell, we should get Harris this week (and he is in the same caliber as Chubb) and have numerous high 3 to 4 star quality players that have us in their finals. We are already doing well for 2016.

Give credit were credit is due, we are making progress

The average star rating for Joker's three classes was about 2.9. There's a whole lot more to playing good football than a few tenths of a star in recruit ratings.

The thing I would be concerned about with Stupes is that there's almost no evidence that these recruits are getting coached up. Stupes himself is an ex-DC, and LPT 's defense this year was as poor as last year's against a weaker schedule. They just lost their OC, and there's nothing but hope assuring anyone that the new OC will be as good.

How many 4- and 5-star football recruits have bombed out at LPT over the years? There's ample evidence they get very little coaching there.

LPT Football: It's all Joker's fault...

These dumb aholes never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Stupids won what, 7 games in 2 years with a loss to WKU? Only 1 win against a team decent team during his time! But it's all going to click all the sudden next year. Sure losers! And I will be starting QB for UL next year. Wait, I probably have a better chance at that then uk has at going to a bowl game.

And to think this General guy could be making my lunch today at burger king is scary. If he is dumb enough to believe the stuff he is posting here, no way he is going to be able to make my burger correctly...

I agree, the rankings don't tell the entire story, but you have seen a marked improvement in UK's since Stoops and crew came on board. . We were in the 60's or worse, signing MAC or CUSA type players, certainly not the caliber of SEC or even the ACC.

Give credit were credit is due, we are making progress
How did Harris work out for you?

Once again for the slow learners, re to "next year" and uk football...........

Blanton Collier (41-36-3) ...FIRED! uk FB was going to take a "new direction". It did
roll.r191677.gif

Where it all began…………………………Karma is a bitch………..

Charlie Bradshaw era (1962-1968)
(who replaced the last uk HC ever with a winning record)

was hired to replace the fired Collier.Despite all the hype about being a Bear Bryant assistant, Bradshaw's tenure turned out to be a disappointment, as he was unable to have much success with the Wildcats[/B]. He had a 25-41-5 record in seven seasons. Bradshaw is the last Kentucky coach to defeat Tennessee twice in Knoxville, [/B]and the last Kentucky coach to defeat Auburn twice[/B]. He was also the last to defeat a #1 ranked team in the country until Rich Brooks in 2007.[/B]

Bradshaw, a harsh, brutal coach was the head coach of the infamous Thin Thirty Kentucky team. Kentucky had 88 players when Bradshaw arrived, but by season's end, only 30 players were on the team. The story of that team is told in the 2007 book The Thin Thirty by Shannon Ragland.

Since CB…………….[/B]

John Ray era (1969-1972)[/B]

Ray's teams failed to win more than three games in a single season, going a dismal 10-33 overall in Ray's four seasons
Then came the GLORY YEARS!!!

Fran Curci era (1973-1981) THE GLORY YEARS!!!![/B][/B]

Kentucky hired Curci away from Miami after Ray was let go. The 1976 Wildcats claimed a share of the $EC championship and won the Peach Bowl, finishing #18 in the final AP poll. The 1977 Kentucky team went 10-1 and was undefeated in SEC play but, despite finishing the season ranked #6 in the AP poll, did not play in a bowl game due to NCAA sanctions[/B]. Kentucky finished at #6 and Penn State at #5 despite the fact that Kentucky defeated Penn State at Penn State during the regular season. Curci was unable to have sustained success ( without cheating
wink.r191677.gif
) as head coach of the Wildcats and was fired after nine seasons.

Jerry Claiborne era (1982-1989)

He returned to his alma mater from Maryland. He led the Wildcats to the 1983 and 1984 Hall of Fame Bowls defeating a Wisconsin team ranked #20 in the polls to finish the season with a 9-3 record and a #19 ranking in the final AP and UPI polls. Claiborne also won SEC Coach of the Year honors in 1983. Coach Claiborne and Kentucky experienced an era of constant change at the quarterback position following the 1987 season through his departure that included the likes of Craig Nelson and Eric Mellon (1986-87), two way starter (Quarterback/Safety) Ricky Lewis (1987-88), and Chuck Wharton (1988-89), prior to landing Mr. Kentucky Football Awardee Pookie Jones of Calloway County.Claiborne retired following the 1989. He is the last coach to defeat Florida and was the last coach to defeat Tennessee until Joker in 2011. His final record at Kentucky is 41-46-3.

................as good as he was as a HC as he was other places, he couldn't make uk bigger, faster, or stronger.
laugh.r191677.gif

Bill Curry era (1990-1996)

....surprised the college football world by leaving Alabama for Kentucky in late 1989. Despite the high hopes that the Kentucky football program would rise under his leadership, Curry's Wildcats teams never achieved much success. The Wildcats best season under Curry was 1992, playing in the 1993 Peach Bowl. Curry was asked to resign after seven seasons and just a .33 winning percentage. Curry's record at Kentucky was 26-52.

Then came GLORY DAYS 2 (sort of) (extra point to anyone who can spot the pattern here
devil.r191677.gif
)

Hal Mumme era (1997-2000)

came to Kentucky from Valdosta State and brought an exciting, high-scoring, pass-oriented offense known as the "Air Raid". He led the Wildcats to the 1998 Outback Bowl and the 1999 Music City Bowl. Mumme achieved a 20-26 record in his four seasons. He was popular among the Kentucky fans, but the program was hit with severe sanctions for NCAA violations involving cash payments from an assistant coach to prospective recruits[/B]. Although Mumme himself was not implicated in any violation, he resigned after the 2000 season.

This started the "Let's-Just-Field-a-Team-and-Take-the-Check" era of Morris, Brooks etc.

- So class, what is the ONE thing that history, and Karma, teach one about uk FB?

That "NEXT YEAR" will ALWAYS be their best season!

When the last coach to leave with a winning record was 60 years ago you would think the UK fans would cool it with the next year expectations. And to think that coach was FIRED lol what a group of dummies.

I am curious if UK will put some football billboards in Louisville again.

it may go like this

Bigger, faster, stonger and we almost had 6 wins last year. "Oh yea and we almost had Harris."
....................The school of moral victories

Originally posted by jalovell23:

I am curious if UK will put some football billboards in Louisville again.

it may go like this

Bigger, faster, stonger and we almost had 6 wins last year. "Oh yea and we almost had Harris."
....................The school of moral victories
UK where Moral Victories Happen!

Cat fan coming in peace. . have you forgotten that we played you tight last year and were a dropped gimmie interception away from winning this year.

We are also had 4 wins (maybe 5, but I need to check) in a row over you not so long ago.

We are winning the recruiting battle by a large margin, moreover your pipelines are shut down, we are winning the in state battles, even in Louisville. Joker left us in very bad shape, don't discount that your recent win streak is on his shoulders.

Not trying to start a fight but the future looks very bright for the Cats, especially against UL.

Are you serious? I think UK will be better next season. But where are you winning the recruiting battle? Over U Of L or the SEC. Ten SEC teams have better classes. Rivals has U Of L ahead of UK......and you are forgetting the transfers that become eligible. This is the best class Petrino has had at U of L. And you know what he did with the Cards in his first go around. Our quarterback situation is not as bad as some of our fans are making it. I will say this again.....UK ceiling at best will be six, seven wins. I don't want to hear about a dropped interception from winning this past year. The game didn't come down to one play. If Jurich hadn't made the Kragthorpe hire and hired Strong then UK would not have won four in a row. In that string of losses U of L had two bad quarters. We competed with our worst teams against UK's best. As someone who has watched and heard this is the coach that turns it around for over forty years...it's like a broken record. I just don't see where UK will be superior to the Cards in the future. I'm realistic.....we won't win every time we play..... but we will win our share.

This post was edited on 1/5 8:09 PM by WLGenerals

And as sure as the sun rising in the east, those goofs are predicting 8 wins again. They do it every year.

Cat fan coming in peace. . have you forgotten that we played you tight last year and were a dropped gimmie interception away from winning this year.

We are also had 4 wins (maybe 5, but I need to check) in a row over you not so long ago.

We are winning the recruiting battle by a large margin, moreover your pipelines are shut down, we are winning the in state battles, even in Louisville. Joker left us in very bad shape, don't discount that your recent win streak is on his shoulders.

Not trying to start a fight but the future looks very bright for the Cats, especially against UL.

This post was edited on 1/5 8:09 PM by WLGenerals

Oh my

Time will tell, but I like our chances. Especially in Commonwealth this year and for many years to come. Surely you can see that this is not Joker Phillips's KY team. Better recruits and better coaches that are in demand (Marrow did turn down Michigan). It just takes a bit of time to get over the wreck and lack of recruiting we were left with.

Tell us more.

WLGenerals posted on 1/5/2015...

No he is not the same caliber as Chubb, no way have watched Harris to many times, he doesn't like to get hit and when he does get hit a lot he gets hurt. Chubb is a legit future Heisman candidate, honestly gonna be surprised if Harris makes it at the next level, he is not playing against the talent here in Kentucky he will be playing against at the next level there will be defensive linemen who can and will catch him in college.

Forgot the exact stats but believe they said that the only Georgia running back with more yards in a season was Herschel Walker and that was competing in 11 to 12 games Chubb only had time in 7 to 8. He's a stud the real deal not saying Harris can't be but he's gonna have to prove it.

LMFAO what a jarhead. You didn't get Harris broski. But maybe now you can come back and tell us all he's not that good anyway or something like that.

The WLGenerals moniker has been long since retired. We will never see that moniker post here ever again after his insightful WRONG posts predicting great things from UofK while UofL would spiral down out of control.

I wonder if that guy played on those Generals teams that got smoked by the Harlem Globetrotters all those years????

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I wonder what the forecast was for them for 2014 around here. Probably more of the same.
Yep. It's the Shampoo - Rinse - Repeat mantra every year for those guys. It makes for great fun looking back just to laugh at all the ignorant comments made BEFORE the football season ever starts.

UofL football is much more successful than UofK football today and got there without all the Franfort perks. I don't know what the future holds anymore than the next guy, but as long as TJ is in charge of hiring/firing coaches, I feel pretty good about the future for UofL athletics across the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
We should have the mods pin this thread at the top of the forum. The UofL fan posts were as correct in 2016 as they were in 2015, and the UK fan posts were the exact same material we'll be getting all summer. Pin it, that way no one will ever have to post about UK football again. It's all been said and nothing ever changes.

Reading back, I was wrong in my post. The "weak SEC East" planets have indeed mostly remained aligned. What doesn't change is that LPT is powerless to do anything in response.

LPT Football: We'd like to be better...

This was a great reanimation, lol. Nice finds Hopgood. Hilarious stuff.

The stultifying repetitiveness of those people is mind blowing. How fondly they remember surprising themselves with a win in Krag's pathetic opening season. They are just positive Santa is hanging out somewhere nearby to gift them what they so richly don't deserve.

They pretend to know things and act as if their dreamiest hopes are some sort of reality. And now - in this season - they have been reduced to tearing us limb to limb over ethical and moral issues - the last refuges of the hopeless and of scoundrels, lol.

They can;t handle being an afterthought for Louisville football aspirations. The very idea that they represent a consistent cupcake on our schedule must be a dreadful experience, ha ha.

A funny thing about many LPT football fans is their peculiar ability to mostly ignore what everyone else is saying, not just us.

Find someone saying LPT can win 8 games this year--or any year. Find someone saying that U of L will soon fall to a level of mediocrity (.500). You know where to look in each case, and you'll probably never find that person anywhere else.

It's not just lying to themselves. It's a shared, oblivious, and uniquely owned form of delusion.

LPT Football: We're special...

Never said UK wasn't making progress...only saying that is just a step...until they get on Campus and I say this with Louisville as well they are just "guys" in shorts...might as well be playing Basketball...want to see what they do in Pads.

The true test for Stoops is Player Development..

Well going back over this thread I now know the answer to my question...Stoops is failing that test...

Once again for the slow learners, re to "next year" and uk football...........

Blanton Collier (41-36-3) ...FIRED!
uk FB was going to take a "new direction". It did
roll.r191677.gif

Where it all began…………………………Karma is a bitch………..

Charlie Bradshaw era (1962-1968)
(who replaced the last uk HC ever with a winning record)

was hired to replace the fired Collier.Despite all the hype about being a Bear Bryant assistant, Bradshaw's tenure turned out to be a disappointment, as he was unable to have much success with the Wildcats[/B]. He had a 25-41-5 record in seven seasons. Bradshaw is the last Kentucky coach to defeat Tennessee twice in Knoxville, [/B]and the last Kentucky coach to defeat Auburn twice[/B]. He was also the last to defeat a #1 ranked team in the country until Rich Brooks in 2007.[/B]

Bradshaw, a harsh, brutal coach was the head coach of the infamous Thin Thirty Kentucky team. Kentucky had 88 players when Bradshaw arrived, but by season's end, only 30 players were on the team. The story of that team is told in the 2007 book The Thin Thirty by Shannon Ragland.

Since CB…………….[/B]

John Ray era (1969-1972)[/B]

Ray's teams failed to win more than three games in a single season, going a dismal 10-33 overall in Ray's four seasons
Then came the GLORY YEARS!!!

Fran Curci era (1973-1981) THE GLORY YEARS!!!![/B][/B]

Kentucky hired Curci away from Miami after Ray was let go. The 1976 Wildcats claimed a share of the $EC championship and won the Peach Bowl, finishing #18 in the final AP poll. The 1977 Kentucky team went 10-1 and was undefeated in SEC play but, despite finishing the season ranked #6 in the AP poll, did not play in a bowl game due to NCAA sanctions[/B]. Kentucky finished at #6 and Penn State at #5 despite the fact that Kentucky defeated Penn State at Penn State during the regular season. Curci was unable to have sustained success ( without cheating
wink.r191677.gif
) as head coach of the Wildcats and was fired after nine seasons.

Jerry Claiborne era (1982-1989)

He returned to his alma mater from Maryland. He led the Wildcats to the 1983 and 1984 Hall of Fame Bowls defeating a Wisconsin team ranked #20 in the polls to finish the season with a 9-3 record and a #19 ranking in the final AP and UPI polls. Claiborne also won SEC Coach of the Year honors in 1983. Coach Claiborne and Kentucky experienced an era of constant change at the quarterback position following the 1987 season through his departure that included the likes of Craig Nelson and Eric Mellon (1986-87), two way starter (Quarterback/Safety) Ricky Lewis (1987-88), and Chuck Wharton (1988-89), prior to landing Mr. Kentucky Football Awardee Pookie Jones of Calloway County.Claiborne retired following the 1989. He is the last coach to defeat Florida and was the last coach to defeat Tennessee until Joker in 2011. His final record at Kentucky is 41-46-3.

................as good as he was as a HC as he was other places, he couldn't make uk bigger, faster, or stronger.
laugh.r191677.gif

Bill Curry era (1990-1996)

....surprised the college football world by leaving Alabama for Kentucky in late 1989. Despite the high hopes that the Kentucky football program would rise under his leadership, Curry's Wildcats teams never achieved much success. The Wildcats best season under Curry was 1992, playing in the 1993 Peach Bowl. Curry was asked to resign after seven seasons and just a .33 winning percentage. Curry's record at Kentucky was 26-52.

Then came GLORY DAYS 2 (sort of) (extra point to anyone who can spot the pattern here
devil.r191677.gif
)

Hal Mumme era (1997-2000)

came to Kentucky from Valdosta State and brought an exciting, high-scoring, pass-oriented offense known as the "Air Raid". He led the Wildcats to the 1998 Outback Bowl and the 1999 Music City Bowl. Mumme achieved a 20-26 record in his four seasons. He was popular among the Kentucky fans, but the program was hit with severe sanctions for NCAA violations involving cash payments from an assistant coach to prospective recruits[/B]. Although Mumme himself was not implicated in any violation, he resigned after the 2000 season.

This started the "Let's-Just-Field-a-Team-and-Take-the-Check" era of Morris, Brooks etc.

- So class, what is the ONE thing that history, and Karma, teach one about uk FB?

That "NEXT YEAR" will ALWAYS be their best season!
Damn, Rollem. Quite a bit of work here. Do you really think they "get it"? ;)

You have to understand that cayat fans base their predictions on the following logic:

1) How good they think the slogan for the next season is.
2) Recruiting rankings
3) How much worse other teams are

Reactions: Steelers2012
It must be a great sense of comfort to them to pretend that we will take a step back even if the logic is rooted in self-delusion. Meanwhile, any objective observer would look at their team, and easily deduce that making a bowl will once again be Mt. Everest for UK. They lose the best two players from a defense that was horrific to begin with. Better hope Stoops can coach up all these stellar recruits, but I think we all know the likelihood of that happening.
Nope. Sorry. I know you all like to beat the "UK fans are ridiculous because they did this or said that on their board" drum, but I've not seen one thread that says anything about you all not being a top program... No one on the rivals board is thinking we can play with UofL this season. And, getting to a bowl, any bowl is definitely the goal for the Cats... I would say most are hopeful for progress, and are cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
Nope. Sorry. I know you all like to beat the "UK fans are ridiculous because they did this or said that on their board" drum, but I've not seen one thread that says anything about you all not being a top program... No one on the rivals board is thinking we can play with UofL this season.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/honest-bob-gets-a-new-7-yr-30-6-million-contract.188778/

You must not read the UK boards. Plenty of non-believers in this thread, and always plenty of fans who DO think they can not only play with, but beat Louisville every year, including this one.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/honest-bob-gets-a-new-7-yr-30-6-million-contract.188778/

You must not read the UK boards. Plenty of non-believers in this thread, and always plenty of fans who DO think they can not only play with, but beat Louisville every year, including this one.
Nope, never read that thread from April. But yes, there are a few fans that enjoy the "discredit and never allow your rival to think you respect them" game.

I have to add though, there have been more than a few times within the last few years where I legitimately felt that UK could beat UofL. Sometimes the talk is legitimate, sometimes its just bluster. Of course, what's legitimate talk is going to be debated as well, obviously.

Nope, never read that thread from April. But yes, there are a few fans that enjoy the "discredit and never allow your rival to think you respect them" game.

I have to add though, there have been more than a few times within the last few years where I legitimately felt that UK could beat UofL. Sometimes the talk is legitimate, sometimes its just bluster. Of course, what's legitimate talk is going to be debated as well, obviously.

Meh...it's no different than some of our posters who believe we can beat UK in basketball each year. It's what fans do to keep the faith. Each side (UK in football and UofL in basketball) does have a legit chance each year, if certain things happen certain ways. But no true fan is going to say "we don't have a chance" against their rival.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT