ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC

BrandonQuick

One-Star Poster
Dec 30, 2014
First of all, our loss to Georgia doesn't - in any way - nullify the point I'm about to make about the SEC. I feel, many posters on here would be making the same point if we had fared better. As I've already mentioned in a different thread, UGA is an elite team that suffered some puzzling defeats to bad teams.

Those who pointed to the success of the two Mississippi schools this year as in indicator that the SEC was down, were right on the money. Both teams were flat-out whipped yesterday, and I'm thrilled that Georgia Tech. a member of the lowly ACC coastal, got a chance to lay an old-fashioned ass-whipping on another overrated SEC team. Watching Miss St play Kentucky gave me all the proof I needed that they were a fringe top 25 team.

I also enjoyed the LSU/Notre Dame game in the Music City Bowl mostly because of what UK fans have said about both schools all year. LSU has an NFL caliber defense and a loaded roster while ND is a weak sister hiding behind their tradition. Thus our win against ND was fools gold....or so goes the logic of the average jealous Cat fan. Oh well, the "disinterested" label can only apply when the results don't fit your agenda.

On the balance, this year's SEC was about what it always is: Two elite teams: (Alabama and Georgia), and a few above average teams (Auburn, Miss St, Miss, LSU, Arkansas, and Mizzou). It's a tough league with a lot of balance, but the idea that they are head and shoulders above everyone else is absurd. By comparison, let's look at the ACC this year: two elite teams (FSU and Georgia Tech), a few above average teams (Louisville, Clemson, Boston College, and Duke). Not too much different, right?

Cards think they were an elite ACC team. Got pummeled by Georgia. Any questions? I'm ready for the Ducks and Seminoles. That's gonna be both interesting and fun.

Originally posted by KeepingItReal74:
Cards think they were an elite ACC team. Got pummeled by Georgia. Any questions? I'm ready for the Ducks and Seminoles. That's gonna be both interesting and fun.
You really are a clueless moron. smh. And a coward who creates IDs to blow consequence-free smack talk. Your program is less than zero.

It must feel great to be in a real football conference now, after one season and an azz whooping from the Dawgs, you guys can't wait to hang off FSU's coattails and play in the "SEC isn't that good" pissing contest. Congrats on your great season!

Originally posted by OMGTroll:
It must feel great to be in a real football conference now, after one season and an azz whooping from the Dawgs, you guys can't wait to hang off FSU's coattails and play in the "SEC isn't that good" pissing contest. Congrats on your great season!
UofL is 9-5 in its last 14 $EC games, while your cayuts are 2-12.

You clowns have been nut sack hanging, off the ENTIRE $EC for 70 years. Only reason
they wont purge you is, because SuCkS is a guaranteed win.

DONT have a nice day
clown.r191677.gif

I'm baffled as to how that Georgia team did not even win the lame SEC East. That's a serious football team that could have given Alabama all they wanted in the SEC title game.

Let's not kid ourselves here. The narrative coming out of these bowls is going to be "The SEC West beat each other up so badly with their awesomeness all season that these teams had nothing left for a bowl." Skip Bayless started that narrative TWO MONTHS ago, when some of these lesser teams started dropping like flies. He was the main one who had laughable stuff like an all SEC West final 4 with Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Miss State.

LSU losing to Notre Dame yesterday was slightly puzzling, given how awful ND has been late in the season. GT whipping Miss St. didn't shock me at all. GT is tough to figure out with that option attack, and they just beat UGA in Athens (not to mention taking FSU to the limit). But how does one rationalize the TCU/Ole Miss fiasco? TCU played like a pissed off team that was livid they didn't get in the Final 4. I get that. But Ole Miss at least has a good defense that only allowed 14 a game...and gave up 42? That was just a hideous, shameful performance.

This favoritism stuff goes beyond just the SEC however. The other day announcers were shocked that Clemson waxed Oklahoma, thinking that OU should obviously beat the jabroni ACC team. The fact that Clemson was a better team seemed to elude them.

Read my post. I clearly said we were a better than average ACC team. Meanwhile, you are clearly the most abysmal SEC team in the league's history. Hell, even Vandy has thrown a few good teams.

We hang off no one's coattails. That domain is for Loser Cat fans.

This post was edited on 1/1 1:55 PM by BrandonQuick

Cayuts fan? They aren't the only fans that will question your ignorance. You alls record vs the SEC means jack in the comparison between ACC vs SEC, since you added another LOSS to the total in your first season! You want to go back a decade! go ahead and tally up those numbers and compare them, in September the ACC was at the bottom and the SEC at the top. We all know the real reason why FSU chose the ACC over the SEC.

Cayuts fan? They aren't the only fans that will question your ignorance. You alls record vs the SEC means jack in the comparison between ACC vs SEC, since you added another LOSS to the total in your first season! You want to go back a decade! go ahead and tally up those numbers and compare them, in September the ACC was at the bottom and the SEC at the top. We all know the real reason why FSU chose the ACC over the SEC.
Yeah cayut.

We all know why the Cayuts didnt go to the ACC like joe b hall advocate they do in the 80s.
To keep piling up basketball wins in a football conference.

Playing ACC b-ball would have kept the cayuts from having the overall wins.

FSU was turned down TWICE by the $EC. Only AFTER the ACC had accepted them,
then the $EC extend an invite.

SuCkS hasnt been above .500 since 1977. So go back 4 decades, and you still have
putrid, cayut football. Put the pipe down.

UofL has done that WITHOUT $EC recruits, or a 20 millin dollar welfare check, for
being the practice dummies. No one takes Scat football or you seriously.

"I am asked why we joined the ACC instead of the SEC back in 1992. We were invited to join both conferences the same year. Let me first say that we (FSU) had applied for membership in the SEC for the previous 20 to 25 years but were turned down every time. When we made our decision, the people making those decisions preferred the ACC for academic reasons.

What part did I play in it? I merely agreed to whatever those responsible decided. I had always been an SEC fan. I did feel, however, that between the SEC and the ACC, the best road to a national title was through the ACC. A national championship was my number one goal every year. The SEC is so tough, top to bottom, that they beat up on each other week after week. In the '90's we played for the national title five times and won two. This proves my point. Plus, FSU won another title last year and may win again this year!"

Facts are optional?? Why do you think it took so long for Louisville to be accepted in a real conference? lol As for the rest of your pig latin, save that for the real Ky Fan.

This post was edited on 1/1 2:30 PM by OMGTroll

Lets be honest, talent-wise there is not much difference between UK and UL at this time. Considering how the game with UGA went, how do you think UL would do if in the following weeks they had to play Mississippi State, then Missouri, then Tennessee?
I believe there were 5 injuries for UL in that game only. Both UL and UK have depth issues when playing teams of that caliber. Because of the depth issues that is why UK was gassed midway through the season.

Yeah andted by Count Des Moine:
Lets be honest, talent-wise there is not much difference between UK and UL at this time. Considering how the game with UGA went, how do you think UL would do if in the following weeks they had to play Mississippi State, then Missouri, then Tennessee?
I believe there were 5 injuries for UL in that game only. Both UL and UK have depth issues when playing teams of that caliber. Because of the depth issues that is why UK was gassed midway through the season.
Yeàh and Louisville played Clemson, BC, Notre Dame, and FSU. So whats your point? UofL players coaches and fans will look for ways to improve and beat the great teams on the schedule. UK just accepts their plight along with their paycheck. Remember Louisville has done all of it without being in a P5 conference to aid in recruiting. Everything in every sport is on the uptick for UofL. Academics are improving even faster. It is good to be a Card. Hell even the Georgia fans are giving respect. Something they don't do for UK. Sorry boys its gotta be earned.

This post was edited on 1/1 3:04 PM by Cardfan1963

Originally posted by Count Des Moine:
LPT fans see what they wanna see...

LPT went 0-3 in the three SEC games you mention and lost by combined scores of 115-57. U of L couldn't do any worse than that.

And if you rewind the tape, you'll find that multiple Georgia players went off the field nicked up as well, and fortunately, all of the U of L guys went back into the game after their injuries.

The SEC is a tough football conference, but it doesn't deserve the adulation it gets with respect to other conferences. And LPT's membership in the SEC does not in any way provide testament for LPT itself. You're a doormat in the SEC just like you'd be a doormat in most conferences.
Doormat_zpsb81d29e9.jpg
LPT Football: Giving the SEC what it wants...

Starting to get that way with all the young talent you've brought in the last couple years, but wasn't like that the last couple, when many of you claimed it was. BTW, this year's UL team probably goes 1-2 or 2-1 in those three. Last year's team probably 3-0 or 2-1. This year's Louisville team just wasn't as good, primarily due to much less efficiency from the QB position.

BTW, injuries happen in other leagues as well. CFB is a grind. We've had injuries all year, not just in the Georgia game. They had several injured in that game as well, probably just as many as us. Everybody is pretty banged up post Oct 1. Its the nature of the beast. Depth is important. Its tough to match depth against the football powers. We get that. But the SEC is not the only conference that has them. That's the point you guys seem to miss.

The Dawgs whipped us badly on 3rd down, despite losing on 1st and/or 2nd down quite often, and kept our defense on the field. That's a nightmare scenario against a team like Georgia, because they'll grind you into the ground with their running game. Chubb will destroy a tired defense, and he did just that in the second half. Play-for-play, though, the game was probably much more competitive than the score showed. But that happens. Its football.

Our offense just wasn't real efficient, and couldn't finish drives, but was able to move the ball. Its been our story all year. Inexperienced & young at QB.

Originally posted by BrandonQuick:
First of all, our loss to Georgia doesn't - in any way - nullify the point I'm about to make about the SEC. I feel, many posters on here would be making the same point if we had fared better. As I've already mentioned in a different thread, UGA is an elite team that suffered some puzzling defeats to bad teams.

Those who pointed to the success of the two Mississippi schools this year as in indicator that the SEC was down, were right on the money. Both teams were flat-out whipped yesterday, and I'm thrilled that Georgia Tech. a member of the lowly ACC coastal, got a chance to lay an old-fashioned ass-whipping on another overrated SEC team. Watching Miss St play Kentucky gave me all the proof I needed that they were a fringe top 25 team.

I also enjoyed the LSU/Notre Dame game in the Music City Bowl mostly because of what UK fans have said about both schools all year. LSU has an NFL caliber defense and a loaded roster while ND is a weak sister hiding behind their tradition. Thus our win against ND was fools gold....or so goes the logic of the average jealous Cat fan. Oh well, the "disinterested" label can only apply when the results don't fit your agenda.

On the balance, this year's SEC was about what it always is: Two elite teams: (Alabama and Georgia), and a few above average teams (Auburn, Miss St, Miss, LSU, Arkansas, and Mizzou). It's a tough league with a lot of balance, but the idea that they are head and shoulders above everyone else is absurd. By comparison, let's look at the ACC this year: two elite teams (FSU and Georgia Tech), a few above average teams (Louisville, Clemson, Boston College, and Duke). Not too much different, right?
Good post dude. Until the SEC is fairly evaluated by the media on who they beat other than themselves it will never change. Perpetuating this narrative brings in huge ratings to the network so it's pretty clear it's going to continue. Matt Hayes said this and was pilloried by his media colleagues. Bob Stoopes said this and was ridiculed in the media. Wish we' could get some credit for beating UK but that gets laughed out of the building.

Originally posted by Cardfan1963:
Yeàh and Louisville played Clemson, BC, Notre Dame, and FSU. So whats your point? UofL players coaches and fans will look for ways to improve and beat the great teams on the schedule. UK just accepts their plight along with their paycheck. Remember Louisville has done all of it without being in a P5 conference to aid in recruiting. Everything in every sport is on the uptick for UofL. Academics are improving even faster. It is good to be a Card. Hell even the Georgia fans are giving respect. Something they don't do for UK. Sorry boys its gotta be earned.

Fair enough. UL has come a long way from where they were as a program just 15-20 years ago, and should be commended. You're right, UK (administration, not the fans) accepted their football plight along with their paycheck for several decades, but I think with Stoops and his assistants recruiting so well the last couple of years there is an effort to do the same things in our program that UL has done. I think a huge part of the pressure to invest in football can be attributed to the rise of UL's program.

Fair enough. UL has come a long way from where they were as a program just 15-20 years ago, and should be commended. You're right, UK (administration, not the fans) accepted their football plight along with their paycheck for several decades, but I think with Stoops and his assistants recruiting so well the last couple of years there is an effort to do the same things in our program that UL has done. I think a huge part of the pressure to invest in football can be attributed to the rise of UL's program.
Absolutely the most truthful statement that can be made on this subject. Competition far and away inspires excellence. Steel sharpens steel like none other. Kudos to you for acknowledging that fact.....now if any other cat fans want to honest, they will too.

Damn, and I wanted to ask what has happened to all of the SEC's best!

LPT Football: Hoping some of it rubs off someday...

Originally posted by Mayoman:

Absolutely the most truthful statement that can be made on this subject. Competition far and away inspires excellence. Steel sharpens steel like none other. Kudos to you for acknowledging that fact.....now if any other cat fans want to honest, they will too.
Exactly Mayo ... You made the point before I could.

I don't think you really want to make that argument.

If we follow your argument's logic, teams that were well thought of proved to be frauds when it came to bowls. It is an argument often made. It ignores such things as matchups. If Team A beats Team B and Team B beats Team C, that does not mean Team A can beat Team C.

But, if we take your argument, then we must conclude that somehow UL is a fraud. UL barely lost to Clemson and won at ND because ND could not execute a short FG. Then, Clemson smoked Oklahoma and ND beat LSU. Ergo, UL is good? No, UL got smoked by UGA who finished second in their own division of the SEC (thus, "not that good") So, UL must be a fraud. After all UGA got smoked by Florida and barely lost to GT.

So, what we "really have" is an ACC that features FSU, Clemson and GT with everyone else a distant third.

If the argument you use can be used against you, it is probably not a particularly good argument.

And the rout to the ACC's best is on.
Only in the blue bizzarro universe does Oregon beating Florida State somehow make Louisville look bad and Kentucky look good. Is that supposed to be smack? Here's a list of some of your low lights on the gridiron in recent history:

1. Haven't had a winning conference record in almost 40 years
2. Fewer SEC titles than Tulane despite being a founding member of the SEC and despite Tulane having not been a member in nearly 50 years.
3. A recent 3 game losing streak being outscored 100-14 by. . . . wait for it. . . Vanderbilt
4. Reagan was President last time you beat Florida (1 for your last 30)
5. Beat your "real rival" Tennessee once in 30 tries
6. "Lil Brother" owns you
7. Poured Gatorade on a coach, rushed the field and tore down goal posts after a loss
8. Leads the world in moral victories
9. Refused to come out of the locker room trailing 42-0 to a terrible (3-9) Arkansas team because "the kids were hungry".
10. 3rd best team in your state and are currently WPT (Western's Play Toy).

You people talking smack about anything having to do with football is the height of stupidity. Go back to your board and live vicariously through Georgia.

Des Moines. Thank you there may be hope for UK fans after all. Well a few at least. I really think that the fan bases could get along a little better if UK fans at least acknowledge what UofL has accomplished. Maybe if they get better at football and can start winning in the SEC they might calm down a bit. So far putting the Louisville program hasn't worked.

Des Moines. Thank you there may be hope for UK fans after all. Well a few at least. I really think that the fan bases could get along a little better if UK fans at least acknowledge what UofL has accomplished. Maybe if they get better at football and can start winning in the SEC they might calm down a bit. So far putting the Louisville program hasn't worked.
Cardfan1963, in my world I don't see the incivility between UK and UL fans that I do on the internet or in social media. Several very close friends of mine are UL fans, and we are able to have positive discourse on the subject of our teams. At the very worst we will go a day or two without discussing the games after they play each other.
I've never begrudged what Jurich has done for the UL program. I'm actually thankful because it put pressure on Barnhart and the rest of UK's administration to improve.

Originally posted by CardLaw:

I don't think you really want to make that argument.

If we follow your argument's logic, teams that were well thought of proved to be frauds when it came to bowls. It is an argument often made. It ignores such things as matchups. If Team A beats Team B and Team B beats Team C, that does not mean Team A can beat Team C.

But, if we take your argument, then we must conclude that somehow UL is a fraud. UL barely lost to Clemson and won at ND because ND could not execute a short FG. Then, Clemson smoked Oklahoma and ND beat LSU. Ergo, UL is good? No, UL got smoked by UGA who finished second in their own division of the SEC (thus, "not that good") So, UL must be a fraud. After all UGA got smoked by Florida and barely lost to GT.

So, what we "really have" is an ACC that features FSU, Clemson and GT with everyone else a distant third.

If the argument you use can be used against you, it is probably not a particularly good argument.
I don't think so CardLaw. First, the "argument" I presented in this space is truncated and incomplete because it must be so in order to fit into a message board space without boring everyone silly with facts and statistics. Secondly, I was not suggesting the transitive property that you apparently deduced from my comments (Ie:team A beating team B and B beating C, suggests that A can beat C).

My comments can be classified better as observations or points, rather than a bonafide argument. The point/observation being that Ole Miss and Mississippi State were overrated teams all season who thrived by virtue of beating other overrated teams within their own conference. Didn't Ole Miss lose five of their last seven games? Thus, my observations were not merely based on bowl games which can often be attributed to match-ups as you so keenly point out.

Also you are playing follow the leader you may not admit it. You went out and got one of the power Florida schools assistant like UL did. If you brass had any balls several years back they would have hired Howard Schnellenberger when he was available after Oklahoma. Lots of UL fans were glad they did'nt mainly because UK was not going to stoop so low to hire a former UL coach. Big mistake.

Wouldn't have agreed with this statement a week ago but there is more parity in college football right now than we have seen in several years. Whether the SEC was ever as strong as some believe, though I do believe it was the best football conference for several years, is still open for argument. BrandonQuick I came back to eat my crow you were right Ohio St. did more than make a game of it.

And the rout to the ACC's best is on.
Love the way you go over to Mildcat Lair and brag about yourself starting posts over here. Mods if you haven't already, please ban this idiot.

100%Originally posted by Cardfan1963:

Agreed although I believe it goes deeper than just the UK administration. It's the priority that football is given in Kentucky as a whole. We might have one or two 5* recruits in our high schools statewide on a given year, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, Texas, etc. will have ten or more. It is what it is when a kid is old enough to walk here for the most part a basketball is shoved in his hands and when he doesn't succeed with that his mom and dad give up and buy video games. I have wanted Kentucky to have a football program for 30 years and I do believe there is an effort to do some of the things Louisville has done. However I just don't see a Kentucky school playing for a National Championship in football and that honestly bothers me.
This post was edited on 1/4 11:58 AM by jarheadky

I'll admit it was a BIG time mistake to pass on Schnellenberger, not sure that the administration at the time was willing to fork out the cash to get him remember they let Guy Morris go to Baylor for pennies more than what they were paying him and he was doing good at UK then. However I think the Stoops hire as well as Strongs was more to do with name recognition, Strong especially had already been pegged as a solid coach just needed someone willing to give him a chance. Stoops not so much but its going to take him longer than two years it took Strong till his 3rd year to bring Louisville back and as bad as Karthorpe was for you guys Joker was like the death penalty for UK.

Some more useless trivia:

The All Time SEC bowl record from 1933-present is .563

The "sucky" BE from 1991- 2012 is .571

PAC .526

The ACC from 1953 (pre UM,VT,BC) is .490

B1G .459

Means nothing in fact. But numbers wise it also means that the old Big East has the "best" OOC record.

Like the $EC is so won't to say.......why don't you play somebody? Settle it on the field.

What does the score of the following games say?

Ole Miss 27 Bama 17 (5th game of the year)

Ole Miss 3 TCU 42 (Bowl game)

Bama 14 Arkansas 13

Bama 25 Miss St 20 (10th game of the year)

G.Tech 49 - Miss St 34 (Bowl game)

OSU 42 Bama 35 (FF game)

TCU has a legitimate complaint in that on field results reflect that they should have been ranked/selected over Bama in the FF. Hear me out.

Bama and the SEC's rep/hype clearly determined Bama's rise to #1 after they defeated a over hyped and over rated MSt (as final results bear out)....and later TCU falls from #3 to #5 after winning their last ICG with Iowa St big and OSU jumps into the FF over them.....why does that happen?

Considering that Bama squeeked by divisional doormat Arkansas by one and were dominated in that game and sqeeked by a vastly overrated MSt team that the 2nd best ACC team in GTech literally ran all over....then fall (get beaten in an upset?) by OSU the B1G champion whose only defeat was to a 6-6 ACC team in VTech.

I have no dog in this fight....however,it appears that TCU was hosed and it is a shame that they dropped that 1 game to Baylor in the fashion that they did. Oregon, OSU and Bama all dropped a game they should have won too and were not down ranked for it.

Such is the way of CFB. Still better than the BCS system that most likely would have matched up FSU vs Bama.....and we see now that they could not advance in the CFB-FF system to get that match up. So there is that.

Traditionalist will likely really like the Oregon/OSU PAC/B1G rose bowl type of match up. Too bad that the Rose Bowl doesn't have that game this year.....would have only been fitting. I like the Ducks in a wild....high scoring game....43-40 or something like that. What say you?

Originally posted by jarheadky:

We might have one or two 5* recruits in our high schools statewide on a given year,

This post was edited on 1/4 11:58 AM by jarheadky
False.

How is it false Damien Harris is the only 5* recruit in Kentucky for 2015. Depending on which recruiting service you use there were none in 2014 unless you consider Matt Elam but he was not ranked as a 5* by all the recruiting services. Take a look 2015 5* are mostly from California, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc.

You said Kentucky has "1 or 2" 5* prospects PER YEAR. It doesn't. In fact it rarely has 5* prospects. I know you're a UahK fan but try and keep up.

Originally posted by jarheadky:
Take a look 2015 5* are mostly from California, Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc.
No kidding? Had no idea! Thanks for the info bubs! Good God you all are a goofy bunch!

rolleyes.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/4 10:54 PM by CardFan1130

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT