ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC

Originally posted by jarheadky:

I'll admit it was a BIG time mistake to pass on Schnellenberger, not sure that the administration at the time was willing to fork out the cash to get him remember they let Guy Morris go to Baylor for pennies more than what they were paying him and he was doing good at UK then. However I think the Stoops hire as well as Strongs was more to do with name recognition, Strong especially had already been pegged as a solid coach just needed someone willing to give him a chance. Stoops not so much but its going to take him longer than two years it took Strong till his 3rd year to bring Louisville back and as bad as Karthorpe was for you guys Joker was like the death penalty for UK.
It's been about a 40 year death penalty for you turds. It wasn't just Joker.

I understand everyone is sick of the SEC love, but...

the bowl performance by the conference as a whole wasn't bad. Ole Miss got pummeled and Miss State wasn't much better (though they were only down 21-20 at half). Of the remaining 10 bowl games involving SEC teams, there were 7 SEC wins and 3 losses that came down to the final possession (LSU, Auburn and Alabama).

Read it again sunshine I said might have, you know might as used to express a possibility.

So when i posted this I didn't understand you were incapable of reading comprehension have a nice day.

Don't talk about comprehension when you are trying to pump up uk FB.

It's been 53 years since a coach left uk with a winning record. And you fired him! Guess he was the lucky one.

Face it. All you have is BB. And BB, as much as we like it at UL, doesn't drive the bus.

FWIW:

The UL/uk BB game had a 2.1 overnight rating. We love our BB and you love yours, ..... but....The Foster Farms Bowl (FOSTER FARMS BOWL!!!) [/B]had a 2.3 rating. Most of the nations fans will watch a nothing bowl game...over a top 5 regular season BB game. That's how important BB is in most of the nation, INCLUDING your own conference, when FB is available.

The NCAA tourney is the only thing that makes a TV impact. Everybody does a bracket. Everybody watch's. But outside the local area, regular season BB games don't mean squat to the nation when there is FB . Just like Derby Day is the only time 95% of the people care about horse racing. And they don't "care". It's the party.

What pisses you guys off is WE are a player in BOTH.

So take the BB, and be happy knowing that outside a few small area's...nobody cares.

I know there will some UL BB first people who are going to be PO'd with this, but it is what it is.

Football is the boss.

So when i posted this I didn't understand you were incapable of reading comprehension have a nice day.
The name "jarhead" is certainly befitting.

Lol, umm actually I wasn't and if I left that impression I apologize, maybe I need to clarify myself. What I'm simply saying is the priority and support given to football in this state is horrible. From pee wee football to high school there is literally no support, and that is the reason for all of the out of state recruiting and I know I'll get bashed for this but the biggest reason Charlie Strong left. Most states top tier talent stays in state, his first full recruiting year, Strong already has one 5* and ten 4* commits, and we haven't even made it to national signing day so there it is that's why Texas and not Tennessee. Go to a high school football game other than Highlands or Trinity and see how many people show up to the games.

I'm not mad more like envious do I watch UK in the tournament sure and I hope they win it but I have never wanted to see basketball excel at the price of a football team. Most posters here are right if UK had done what Louisville did 50 years ago they wouldn't be the doormat of the SEC. What makes it even worse is they didn't just do it once it has been done consistently since case in point Rich Brooks only a few years ago.

I agree with you on everything you said except I don't think football in this state at either school will get the support it needs to compete in a national championship. Hear me out, because even though I know Petrino is one of the great football minds in the sport right now and I do believe he will continue to win at Louisville, under the current playoff system I believe you guys are gonna get screwed just like TCU did for a school that the powers that be believe will generate more cash flow.

Re: The SEC[/URL]

CardFan1130 posted on 1/5/2015...

The name "jarhead" is certainly befitting.

I should hope so after spending 22 1/2 years in the Marine Corps that's what I'll always consider myself
smokin.r191677.gif

happy0030.r191677.gif
Great! Happy for you!! Is this the part where I'm supposed to "thank you for your service"?
This post was edited on 1/5 6:48 PM by CardFan1130

Lol I figured it would go right over your head, partner I could care less if u are thankful for me or anyone else that served, u think we could get back on topic anytime soon?

? talk football, thanks for the grammar lesson I've smacked myself hard on each wrist for the mistake!!!

The fact that the SEC-W went 2-5 in bowls means about as much as the fact that the SEC-E went 5-0. So, if the West was terribly overrated, it would follow that the east was terribly underrated. Right?

The losses were more visible, but at the end of the day, the SEC was 7-5 in bowl games. Pretty good for such a down year.

I think the case for the SEC's being as tough a conference as it is lies in the depth (as already mentioned). The list of "pretty damn good teams" goes deeper in the SEC than in most (all) other conferences. The variance at the very top will always be there, so it's a flaw to say that the best SEC team is always the nation's best team. However, the SEC champion will pretty consistently have earned a spot at the table when the year is over.

I thought FSU was the best team this season and I would have picked them to win the playoff--thought their lackluster regular season was a function of focus more than ability. Watching Oregon dismantle them certainly made an impression. Thought TCU should have been in over OSU and hope to see Oregon prove me right on Monday.

Agreed with everything you said although I never thought FSU was that great of a team. I know they had their winning streak but there were plenty of games they should have been beat were the other team literally just dropped the ball. I am with you on Oregon hadn't really watched a whole lot of them this year and WOW were they impressive be glad to see them win it if they indeed pull it off will be their first national championship.

Also with you on the SEC I'm not terribly disappointed, a couple those teams LSU comes to mind, are fairly young.

I've always wondered why UK fans in particular are such diehard SEC fans. I'm not sure other teams do that or other conferences either for that matter. At least not to the extent the SEC/UK does it. Does Alabama/LSU etc. winning a bowl game against a Big10/12 team boost your esteem or something? Especially when said Bama/Lsu/Georgia/Tennessee/Miss. St/Missouri/Auburn/ etc. likely laughed in your face after thrashing you in the regular season. I'm trying to understand the conference dynamic.

Well to be honest I'm not as much a Kentucky fan as I am Alabama, growing up I always rooted for them, got to visit grandparents who lived there often and got hooked on football. I guess the simple answer is why wouldn't u, conference rivalries aside the better the conference does the more seriously your team is taken in the whole scheme of things when they are winning. Though I will admit I was hoping Tennessee would lose and wasnt exactly upset that Notre Dame beat LSU.

One thing this year's SEC West bowl record showed was that these teams beat each other a little bit. As Mike Barry, former sportswriter for the Louisville Times, used to say about three year old thoroughbreds prior to the Derby. If they are beating each other, none of them is great. That may have been what happened this year, all of those teams had some flaws.

Also the fact that most of the big time football teams play basically all cupcakes out-of-conference gives you very little to go on as to who are the very best teams.

And TCU did not at all deserve to be in the Final Four as they were co-champions of their conference. All of the others were conference champions. Until the Big 12 does something logical, like have 12 teams, they are going to have problems similar to this.

Originally posted by CardFan1130:

I've always wondered why UK fans in particular are such diehard SEC fans. I'm not sure other teams do that or other conferences either for that matter. At least not to the extent the SEC/UK does it. Does Alabama/LSU etc. winning a bowl game against a Big10/12 team boost your esteem or something? Especially when said Bama/Lsu/Georgia/Tennessee/Miss. St/Missouri/Auburn/ etc. likely laughed in your face after thrashing you in the regular season. I'm trying to understand the conference dynamic.
Not sure if this question is genuine but what the heck. A rising tide lifts all boats. So, while it doesn't matter much who wins the LSU/ND game (for example) it is certainly a better reflection on the SEC if LSU wins. Same down the line for all SEC bowl (and major nonconference) games.

If we are to believe that part of the reason Stoops and Marrow are having success recruiting Ohio is that they're offering an opportunity to play in the SEC (a reasonable hypothesis IMO), it behooves UK for the SEC to maintain its (perceived) status as the most prestigious football conference in the country. I do think fans of other SEC teams feel similarly; they just don't post much on this board.

OTOH, I think psychologically, some fans cling to "SEC!" because it makes them feel better when UK routinely goes 1-7, 2-6 (or even 0-8) in conference. I'm not sure I buy that argument--I would rather be 5-3 in the Big 10 or ACC than 2-6 in the SEC. But UK's not going anywhere with the amount of money the conference brings the school (and there's no guarantee that UK football would be world beaters in another conference, though I do think they'd win more games).

To turn the question around, lots of non-UK fans keep pointing to the general haplessness of the SEC in basketball.... why should UK fans care how bad the rest of the SEC is in bball as long as we continue to be successful?

Well to be honest I'm not as much a Kentucky fan as I am Alabama, growing up I always rooted for them, got to visit grandparents who lived there often and got hooked on football. I guess the simple answer is why wouldn't u, conference rivalries aside the better the conference does the more seriously your team is taken in the whole scheme of things when they are winning. Though I will admit I was hoping Tennessee would lose and wasnt exactly upset that Notre Dame beat LSU.
Ah the dreaded Alabama football/UK basketball fan! I don't care if the Cayuts are in the NFC East their team isn't "seriously taken." The SEC doesn't take them seriousl, why do they think the rest of the country would?

Originally posted by johnnyrockets:

OTOH, I think psychologically, some fans cling to "SEC!" because it makes them feel better when UK routinely goes 1-7, 2-6 (or even 0-8) in conference. I'm not sure I buy that argument--I would rather be 5-3 in the Big 10 or ACC than 2-6 in the SEC. But UK's not going anywhere with the amount of money the conference brings the school (and there's no guarantee that UK football would be world beaters in another conference, though I do think they'd win more games).
That's the first time I have a heard a UK fan say this. And it makes perfect sense to feel that way. Generally in life, people enjoy winning more than losing. So when I heard rivals say they would rather lose to what they feel are the best teams in college football, than compete, and possibly beat, teams in a lesser conference....it made no sense to me. IMO, It greatly enhances the experience to be actually competing in most games, winning half or more, and even sometimes being a serious contender for the conference championship. I never bought the thought process of "I would rather watch our guys lose to the best teams in the country, than watch them beat up on The Little Sisters of the Poor", as if no middle ground exists. But...the message board world is one of great extremes. "If you aren't better than us, then you suck". "You either play the best teams, or your schedule is a joke". UofL fans apply it to football, and UK fans apply it to basketball.

Originally posted by johnnyrockets:

Originally posted by CardFan1130:

To turn the question around, lots of non-UK fans keep pointing to the general haplessness of the SEC in basketball.... why should UK fans care how bad the rest of the SEC is in bball as long as we continue to be successful?
UK fans don't care how bad the rest of the SEC is in basketball, so I'm trying to figure out why they care how good the rest of the SEC is in football. Because, at the end of the day, they're still seen as a laughingstock, moribund program no matter how well the SEC fares outside of the conference. So people still see them as a historically awful program, just in a good conference. It's almost as if they try to live vicariously through the success of other programs.

glad u got me pegged, problem is I'm not much of a basketball fan but hey it's your story tell it how you want to.

glad u got me pegged, problem is I'm not much of a basketball fan but hey it's your story tell it how you want to.
So you aren't a UK basketball fan? Let me guess: Cowboys, Yankees/Red Sox, Celtics/Lakers?
This post was edited on 1/6 4:40 PM by CardFan1130

I watch the NCAA tournament and pull for UK then, other than that not really interested in basketball, could care less if they go 40-0. When Barnhart hired and fired Gillespie I didn't really care, when he let Rich Brooks retire because he didn't want to do facility upgrades and invest in the coaching staff I thought Barnhart should of been fired, get the picture. Definitely a Cowboys fan although I really like Andrew Luck, plays the game like it was meant to be played. Rather beat my head against a concrete wall than watch a baseball game, and come on the NBA still really considered a sport it's more of a soap opera.

I guess it prolly is maybe it's I'm just not that much of a basketball fan, after the Super bowl sports suck for the most part till around September 1st.

At least I'm not hiding the fact that I'm a UK clown your no more of a Card fan than I am troll.

Aww shucks, I did it again here we go two slaps, wait on second thought
rolleyes.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/8 4:38 PM by jarheadky

Yeah, well I couldn't get the pic of the finger I wanted to use to load correctly, so I ended up editing with the emoji.

Glad you are getting to play another SEC team to open the season, hope a loss doesn't ruin your outlook, cause it's coming, Auburn is a powerful team, kind of like Georgia.

See you guys have the same problem with your instate $ec rival that we do with ours, usuck. Had the powers that be not moved Miss St up 3 spots in the poll, we would have clobbered missouri instead of Oklahoma and that 7-5 record would have been reduced to 6-6. I mean come on, the ONLY team the $ec east beat with a pulse was Georgia and I was pulling for you guys in that game. Minnesota? Iowa? East Carolina? Miami?

Traveling up to Louisville for our game with you guys this year. Looking forward to it.

Originally posted by katwest:
Glad you are getting to play another SEC team to open the season, hope a loss doesn't ruin your outlook, cause it's coming, Auburn is a powerful team, kind of like Georgia.
Hey turd, we have more SEC* wins in the last 4 years than you do. In 26 fewer chances. We're 5-2; you're 4-28. You should be kicked out of the conference. We beat a team in one try that you haven't beaten (and rarely played close) since Reagan was President.

*Yes I am counting the Cayuts as SEC.

This post was edited on 1/19 3:22 PM by CardFan1130

This post was edited on 1/19 3:23 PM by CardFan1130

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT