ADVERTISEMENT

The point in the game where it got out of control

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
There was little opportunity to win last night, but I felt like there was a point where we appeared to have a strategy in place that was effective. To start the 2nd half, Jones was placed in the lineup ostensibly to guard Clark. There were times in the 1st half where Jones was most effective when guarding Clark by herself; the problem was when we tried to double team Clark, which resulted leaving Warnock and Marshall wide open for 3s.

When Carr hit the layup to cut the lead down to one, Jones tried to focus on the offensive end and her two consecutive misses were crucial, not so much because she missed those shots, but rather she lost defensive position of Clark.

Clark is unbelievable in Iowa’s half court offense that begins with their defensive rebounds; I thought that if Morgan could spend the last 20 minutes facing Clark defensively, it was the only way to neutralize Iowa from getting into the 90s. I think Jeff knew that, but when Morgan decided to focus on her own offensive contribution, he had to take her out. Our only chance to beat Iowa was containing Clark, and that requires even guarding her when we were in our own offensive sets.

I believe the both Maryland and the SC coaches witnessed CJW’s strategy using Jones in that intended purpose, and they will dedicate their most effective defender to guard Clark on both ends of the court as a way to deny her the ball. No one will completely shut Clark down, but her points, assists and rebounds can be reduced significantly. Morgan had the length, quickness and athleticism to affect Clark‘s ability to dominate, but somehow Morgan thought she could score as well.

I can see that as well. I think the tide turned when we cut their lead to 3 (I don’t recall ever getting it down to 1). But, we either missed a shot or had a TO - Boom - Iowa 3!! Next possession we either missed a shot or had a TO - Boom - Iowa 3! We are now down by 9! They just couldn’t recover from that point.

Reactions: Guardman
I think you are correct Bardman, it was down to three, and not one point! However it was our inability to score on 2 or three consecutive offensive trips by Morgan. Conversely, Clark was able to get into offensive transition as Morgan was focused on offense ….. Jeff pulled her out.

I am not sure Jeff told her not to shoot, but I ado believe Jeff could see that Clark’s offense begins with the defensive rebounds and that requires assigning a defender on her on both ends of the court.

I expect Maryland or SC do execute that strategy as a way to minimize Clark.

Reactions: Bardman
I'd be surprised if anyone can stop Clark. She's a 6 ft point point guard which is like a 6'9 point guard a la Magic Johnson. She brings the ball up the court so you can't deny her the ball. She facilitates all the offense with her passing and shooting. It's obvious she's played against bigger guys the way she's developed that deadly step back. Where Iowa is going to get beat is by shutting down everyone else.

Last edited:
I think you are correct Bardman, it was down to three, and not one point! However it was our inability to score on 2 or three consecutive offensive trips by Morgan. Conversely, Clark was able to get into offensive transition as Morgan was focused on offense ….. Jeff pulled her out.

I am not sure Jeff told her not to shoot, but I ado believe Jeff could see that Clark’s offense begins with the defensive rebounds and that requires assigning a defender on her on both ends of the court.

I expect Maryland or SC do execute that strategy as a way to minimize Clark.
No, it was down to one point when CC made the layup at the 9:09 mark of the 3rd quarter. Iowa proceeded to score 8 points in 60 seconds after the before mentioned two shot misses by Morgan Jones.

I too agree Walz wanted Jones to hound Clark but he had to take her out once he needed more scoring to keep up. He put Konno in a couple of times but she never got the ball and couldn't keep up on defense.

Walz, like all year, was short one scorer from the forward spot. He had three small guards with the ball in their hands most of the time and that only works when you got a scoring threat from a wing forward. Think Emily E or Jazz Jones.

I was about four bourbons into the night when I had the brainstorm that the only way to contain Clark is to allow her to drive and not help off of anybody; anything she gets inside of ten feet limits her strengths but she is such an otherworldly mind with the ball that she'd adjust to that strategy in two minutes.

What sort of player is best contained by practically conceding them layups?

It is all mute for UL now, but I will be watching the Iowa in the FF, and I expect either Maryland or South Carolina to assign one player to defend Clark every second that she is on the court. To CardsDan's point about "Clark bringing the ball up the court"; that is why someone must shadow Clark even when she is on the defensive end. Granted, I only saw Jones executing that strategy for a brief time before being benched, but it frustrated Clark evidenced by her placing her hand to her face as a way to alert her teammates and coach.

Lets be honest .......... Clark is very special. Her shooting range is extraordinary and her court vision and passing skill is, as Dan stated "Magic Johnson like". However, at 6' tall, there are plenty of 6' 1" and 6' 2" ladies like Jones who have the length and athleticism to limit Clark's domination like we witnessed last night.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
With the smaller lineup we used to keep
Up With the quickness we had no offensive rebounds. We were one and done on most possessions. Iowa didn’t need offensive rebounds since everything they were shooting was going in.

Reactions: Bardman
The conundrum we had with Morgan Jones played a big part in the 3rd quarter knockout blow we sustained when we cut it to 1...whatever offensive strengths she has go by the boards in a matchup zone and they were playing a Triangle and 2 conceding what really were low percentage shots from our others.

There was little opportunity to win last night, but I felt like there was a point where we appeared to have a strategy in place that was effective. To start the 2nd half, Jones was placed in the lineup ostensibly to guard Clark. There were times in the 1st half where Jones was most effective when guarding Clark by herself; the problem was when we tried to double team Clark, which resulted leaving Warnock and Marshall wide open for 3s.

When Carr hit the layup to cut the lead down to one, Jones tried to focus on the offensive end and her two consecutive misses were crucial, not so much because she missed those shots, but rather she lost defensive position of Clark.

Clark is unbelievable in Iowa’s half court offense that begins with their defensive rebounds; I thought that if Morgan could spend the last 20 minutes facing Clark defensively, it was the only way to neutralize Iowa from getting into the 90s. I think Jeff knew that, but when Morgan decided to focus on her own offensive contribution, he had to take her out. Our only chance to beat Iowa was containing Clark, and that requires even guarding her when we were in our own offensive sets.

I believe the both Maryland and the SC coaches witnessed CJW’s strategy using Jones in that intended purpose, and they will dedicate their most effective defender to guard Clark on both ends of the court as a way to deny her the ball. No one will completely shut Clark down, but her points, assists and rebounds can be reduced significantly. Morgan had the length, quickness and athleticism to affect Clark‘s ability to dominate, but somehow Morgan thought she could score as well.
Lead was cut to 1... and Olivia Cochran gathered in a rebound after a miss... At that time, for a few seconds we had possession of the ball with chance to take the lead...
Iowa knew this was breaking point. Louisville knew this was breaking point.
Cochran lost awareness and had the ball stripped from her. Iowa rattles off next 5 points...
This was the most crucial part of the game. It broke our spirits a little, and boosted their's a lot.

It seemed like every time Olivia made a mistake (missed a rebound, missed a jumper, missed a layup, turned the ball over, missed a defensive assignment) seems like it directly led to anywhere from 5 to 9 points for Iowa... But the thing is that Olivia did so VERY LITTLE WRONG, that this was basically HER BEST GAME OF THE SEASON. This is just an observation, and not indicative of Olivia's overall play. Iowa center was averaging like 17 ppg as their teams leading scorer. Olivia was a monster down low. She fouled out the Iowa Center, who, had 9 points... This is the HVL affect. In this one game, Cochran was just all around awesome. But when she made mistakes... they were woefully harmful. In short, HER PLAY was an EXACT MICROSM of the GAME itself against Iowa. WE NEEDED to NOT play our BEST game of the season againt them... WE NEEDED TO BE PERFECT....and obviously, we were not. This is how I define HVL. She is sooo awesome in many aspects of the game... and is so critical to our success.. which means if she is off in the slightest against an overwhelming opponent, then it is devestating.

Jones seemed to lose concentration....
When you step back and look at it, Iowa's offense is 100% motion related. Jeff's offense, on paper, looks decent... but it lacks motion. Its almost an offshoot of the Dribble Drive offense. Iowa coach was genius... She knew what to do. All of her players were tall and long. Not super tall, but long enough to bother our players into taking tough 2-point shots. We hit them in the beginning. As the game wore on, and Robinson and HVL got tired... not a lot of lift on those shots. At that point, we started missing them. They made sure to keep a nice tall player on Carr who isn't blazing fast like Evans was, or particularly strong like Chelsea Hall was last year... They kept another long player on HVL.
See, Iowa coach knew nobody on our team was a consistent scorer. Jones needed to step up and score... but Jones also needed to be an elite defender. Iowa just needed to contain Olivia a little, and defend the heck out of Carr and HVL... Konno, just didn't have it this year. And nobody else was going to step up. Payton, if she hadn't have left... would have filled that spot.

I will repeat it... Jeff's offense, this year, was very bad at times. Yes, you look at the percentages, and it looks on par with others. But really, his offense, for past 2 years has not had a lot of motion and intricate set plays. Its Robinson bring ball down court and waiting for someone down on the block to get position, or waiting for HVL to get lose for an open shot.

He needs another guard like Evans... somoene who can drive, shoot, take command, and dish the ball as well. Kasa, could have been that guard... it took her 4.5 seasons to start shooting... heaven help anyone if she could have been the 3rd 3-point shooter on the floor. Heaven help any opposing team, if Jones would have been the 3rd or 4rth 3-point shooter on the court.

CJW also needs an elite shot blocking center, or at the very least, a center who can shot block. We didn't have ANY of that this year. This was Liz's weakness... 6'5" but bad timing. Williams was never going to be one. This left Olivia, Lester (not playing) and hodge podges like Harris. If USC-jr gets past Maryland for chance at Iowa... we will see it in action. You will see Bria Beal guard Clark... she hedge her, and make her drive for a mid-range TOUGH jumper, or into the paint for a contested layup against USC bigs... who will get blocks...

As for Iowa... hats off to them,
Good Luck to VT, they play OSU tonight. OSU plays a crazy system. They press all game with 7, maybe 8 players. They ran us out of our own Gym. They will chase Amore all over the court... Never thought I would see another player on VT overshadow Kitely, but Amore has, all season long... They have just enough shooters and personal to give everyone in the field fits... I hope they win it all...

Reactions: luv2hit63
Olivia played the best game of her entire career here. 20 points, 14 rebounds, 6-6 on FTs, 1 assist and 1 steal and only 3 TOs; I am not sure I can attribute any deficiency in her performance. Agreed, the timing of her losing possession on the offensive rebound definitely changed momentum, but I do not believe she can assume responsibility for the offensive barrage that followed.

Having HVL and Olivia returning with both Russell and Harris is encouraging. I expect a minimum of two (2) major transfers coming in from the portal, as Jeff and those entering the portal can see a huge opportunity here.

Olivia played the best game of her entire career here. 20 points, 14 rebounds, 6-6 on FTs, 1 assist and 1 steal and only 3 TOs; I am not sure I can attribute any deficiency in her performance. Agreed, the timing of her losing possession on the offensive rebound definitely changed momentum, but I do not believe she can assume responsibility for the offensive barrage that followed.

Having HVL and Olivia returning with both Russell and Harris is encouraging. I expect a minimum of two (2) major transfers coming in from the portal, as Jeff and those entering the portal can see a huge opportunity here.
We need a reliable big or two and a PG and another shooting guard. And when I say reliable big I mean someone who is a starter or first off the bench, no projects, so she’ll have come from the portal.

It’s hard to say what we have on the bench because they never got in. I like Harris but she still needs a lot of improvement. We need a really good big and a couple of really good shooters. I think Cochran will have a great year next year she really started playing a lot better the last month.
If she works hard in the off season she could be a force next year.

Loved what I saw from Olivia last night. I hope she uses this performance as a springboard for her Senior season. Can't wait for them to tip it off next year.

Reactions: vivid_red
We need a reliable big or two and a PG and another shooting guard. And when I say reliable big I mean someone who is a starter or first off the bench, no projects, so she’ll have come from the portal.
We certainly need a team with a stronger identity.
I don't know how Maryland coughed up the big who plays for LSU... but it sucks to lose someone like that.. and then they lost their guard and someone else... as these kids go chasing NIL...
But at the end of the day... we need a BIG like the on at LSU... an ELITE big. We just have not had one... not a center. Someone who is 6'4" and just gets steady buckets and rebounds...

We also need a Georgia Amore... this is someone we have had before... Evans, Schimmel....
Maybe Spears from WFU, if all of the rumors are true... maybe that guard.
Robinson was almost the "Complete" answer for the last 20 games of the season... But we couldn't get over the hoop... She just isn't that kind of shot maker...

If you can build an identity around either a dominant Point guard or Center.. or both, you will not just go far like we did with EE, Durr, MHA, Kiley, Shonni, etc) but we can win it all. Unfortunately we have had neither...
To me, HVL is Asia Durr.... scorer... very good scorer... very good defensively. But not somebody we should expect to continuously break presses... and assist on plays...

The sobering fact is that NIL has made it so you can't "raise" up a good player in 4 years... especially if they are ranked worth anything out of HS... They want their time now... and you can tell, they don't want to be coached to "build new strengths" they want to be coached "directly to their strengths".

I can't even begin to understand why CJW did not play Brown or Walker this year... at all, just like I cannot understand why Payne didn't play Basili... Its all just crazy to me... because those are missed opportunities to "raise up" a guard... train her up... develop her for leadership. How do you not develop the guards you have on your bench... unless you made a mistake in your recruiting and recruited 2 players who just totally didn't fit the mold you are trying to establish...

I think the reason Walker and Brown did not play this year, is that neither one were even close to being ready for this level of competition, and I am not sure what sacrifice the team would have experienced if Jeff gave them minutes at the expense of those who played in his rotation.

It was a difficult process getting to the point where we had the right rotation, and in all fairness to CJW, it took almost 3/4 of the year before it evolved to where it led to success.

NIL will do several things, most of which will interrupt the process of schools developing players. Jones and Carr serve as examples of where neither one enjoyed as much playing time, or provided as much contribution as they might have enjoyed had they stayed at their respective schools.

Having said this, Emily Engstler serves as the example of where she not only advanced her own career by transferring to UL, she contributed mightily to UL‘s team last year.

“Giveth, and taketh away”

Loved what I saw from Olivia last night. I hope she uses this performance as a springboard for her Senior season. Can't wait for them to tip it off next year.
Going into this season, I kind of expected that from Olivia all season, a double double machine. Hopefully, it will happen next season. Needs to work on explosive jumping, quicker feet and not falling off balance.

We certainly need a team with a stronger identity.
I don't know how Maryland coughed up the big who plays for LSU... but it sucks to lose someone like that.. and then they lost their guard and someone else... as these kids go chasing NIL...
But at the end of the day... we need a BIG like the on at LSU... an ELITE big. We just have not had one... not a center. Someone who is 6'4" and just gets steady buckets and rebounds...

We also need a Georgia Amore... this is someone we have had before... Evans, Schimmel....
Maybe Spears from WFU, if all of the rumors are true... maybe that guard.
Robinson was almost the "Complete" answer for the last 20 games of the season... But we couldn't get over the hoop... She just isn't that kind of shot maker...

If you can build an identity around either a dominant Point guard or Center.. or both, you will not just go far like we did with EE, Durr, MHA, Kiley, Shonni, etc) but we can win it all. Unfortunately we have had neither...
To me, HVL is Asia Durr.... scorer... very good scorer... very good defensively. But not somebody we should expect to continuously break presses... and assist on plays...

The sobering fact is that NIL has made it so you can't "raise" up a good player in 4 years... especially if they are ranked worth anything out of HS... They want their time now... and you can tell, they don't want to be coached to "build new strengths" they want to be coached "directly to their strengths".

I can't even begin to understand why CJW did not play Brown or Walker this year... at all, just like I cannot understand why Payne didn't play Basili... Its all just crazy to me... because those are missed opportunities to "raise up" a guard... train her up... develop her for leadership. How do you not develop the guards you have on your bench... unless you made a mistake in your recruiting and recruited 2 players who just totally didn't fit the mold you are trying to establish...
Isn't hard for me to understand. Walz can only play 5 at a time and with a deep roster of experienced players, true freshman are just not going to get much playing time.

Walz knew he had experienced guards when he recruited the freshman guards and the rookies had to know they weren't going to see a lot of game action. But if they proved to be ready, Walz would have given them a chance.

Then we had the early season struggles, fell out of the rankings. Walz didn't have the luxury to see if the freshman guards could contribute, but had one or both showed they were ready like Harris did, they would have played more games.
Jeff Walz sees his players at practice and knows who is ready and who is not. Both should get their chance next season unless Walz brings in transfers which would probably lead Brown and Walker to transfer themselves.

This is the reality of current collegiate sports. I expect to see players leave every single season.

I thought Walker was planning all along to redshirt because she was recovering from surgery on her knee. They were doing rehab with her this year.

Going into this season, I kind of expected that from Olivia all season, a double double machine. Hopefully, it will happen next season. Needs to work on explosive jumping, quicker feet and not falling off balance.
Falling off balance on shots is something I am seeing A LOT of players try to "Curry" favor from the refs by doing. He started it... and so college players, do a lot of flopping and shouting "And 111111111" while they are shooting shots in the post, and on the wing. I am also watching a lot of players "follow" their shots in... so they are standing their as they shoot them... instead of chasing offensive rebound, or running down the floor for Fastbreak defense... I see it in men's and women's games... and it shows a degradation in the sport as whole.

Isn't hard for me to understand. Walz can only play 5 at a time and with a deep roster of experienced players, true freshman are just not going to get much playing time.

Walz knew he had experienced guards when he recruited the freshman guards and the rookies had to know they weren't going to see a lot of game action. But if they proved to be ready, Walz would have given them a chance.

Then we had the early season struggles, fell out of the rankings. Walz didn't have the luxury to see if the freshman guards could contribute, but had one or both showed they were ready like Harris did, they would have played more games.
Jeff Walz sees his players at practice and knows who is ready and who is not. Both should get their chance next season unless Walz brings in transfers which would probably lead Brown and Walker to transfer themselves.

This is the reality of current collegiate sports. I expect to see players leave every single season.
At the end of the day, we need a dominant PG. Walz manufactured Kasa. SHe was a defensive rebounding machine who was an offensive liability for 4 or her 5 years here. This last year, he inserts her into the lineup and she doubled her offensive output and overall +/- on the floor. But Waltz has had freshmen like Evans, Durr, and Schimmell, even Jude Schimmel.... so the question of the day, is what are we missing as a program to where we have had 2 overall #1 drafted guards (Durr and Schimmel) and a 1st rounder like Evans... and yet, we have not successfully recruited their replacement which has showed over the last 2 seasons?

Reactions: FlavRunit
At the end of the day, we need a dominant PG. Walz manufactured Kasa. SHe was a defensive rebounding machine who was an offensive liability for 4 or her 5 years here. This last year, he inserts her into the lineup and she doubled her offensive output and overall +/- on the floor. But Waltz has had freshmen like Evans, Durr, and Schimmell, even Jude Schimmel.... so the question of the day, is what are we missing as a program to where we have had 2 overall #1 drafted guards (Durr and Schimmel) and a 1st rounder like Evans... and yet, we have not successfully recruited their replacement which has showed over the last 2 seasons?
I agree with this but I think Jeff thought that between 2 combo guards, Carr and HVL, they could handle the PG position. Unfortunately both are more suited as SGs. Actually if you think about Jeff turned the season around or at least got it headed towards the Final Four, by inserting Mykasa as the PG. I think our biggest issue was the lack of production (scoring, rebounding, shot blocking) from our bigs. Olivia was our most consistent but like I said, you couldn't count on her being a double double on most nights.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I agree we got plenty of production from our guards especially HVL. The bigs didn’t do their part until the end of the season.

Reactions: nccardfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT