ADVERTISEMENT

The natives are getting restless…..

beantowncard

15000+
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2009
We’re almost ready for the “fire Brohm” thread to start. I’ve never seen a fan base turn ugly so fast as on this board. A couple of thoughts:
  1. When a play doesn’t work, it’s not always a terrible play call. You could have the same call, have one guy on defense miss an assignment or a tackle, and suddenly it’s a brilliant call.
  2. When the other team does execute a good play, they are usually at a matchup advantage. When we “look slow” it’s usually because a LB is trying to cover a fast WR.
  3. SMU won their conference last year and returned a lot of talent from that squad. They also have an excellent head coach. This was always going to be a tough game. This whole schedule is far tougher than last year.
You guys need to step away from the ledge. We’ll be fine. Every coach can’t be Saban. Jeff will get things corrected. This isn’t just another rung on the career ladder for him.

Reactions: vivid_red
First off, I don’t think anybody is ready to fire Brohm.
As for #1, when the average fan in the stands is saying “WTF” on crucial play calling and personal in the play then there is some merit there.

As for #2, I don’t believe those are linebackers getting beat 20, 30 and 40 yards downfield. Secondary didn’t bother to show up yesterday until the last quarter.

As for #3, SMU is a decent team but Louisville showed coming out of the locker room they were better imo. But down the stretch choked on opportunity after opportunity to win that game.

Reactions: 2330859
Who likes losing? Fans vent after losses. That's human nature. Not sure people are wanting heads,but JB said it yesterday...it's on him. I for one appreciate him accepting responsibility.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
We’re almost ready for the “fire Brohm” thread to start. I’ve never seen a fan base turn ugly so fast as on this board. A couple of thoughts:
  1. When a play doesn’t work, it’s not always a terrible play call. You could have the same call, have one guy on defense miss an assignment or a tackle, and suddenly it’s a brilliant call.
  2. When the other team does execute a good play, they are usually at a matchup advantage. When we “look slow” it’s usually because a LB is trying to cover a fast WR.
  3. SMU won their conference last year and returned a lot of talent from that squad. They also have an excellent head coach. This was always going to be a tough game. This whole schedule is far tougher than last year.
You guys need to step away from the ledge. We’ll be fine. Every coach can’t be Saban. Jeff will get things corrected. This isn’t just another rung on the career ladder for him.
Although I typically agree with your takes, I think the cause for alarm is warranted. Not that it cannot be fixed. I think most obvious is that yet again this year, we are completely outmatched on both lines, add to that the seemingly utter confusion of getting guys lined up correctly.
We are 1/2 way thru the season and based on the last 2 games we are going to struggle the remainder of the year. If we can't sustain any consistent line play against SMU, how are we going to hold up against Miami and Clemson at Clemson.? I don't see that changing. It's a matter of personnel. Again, we don't have the hogs up front. To put it bluntly, extremely slow and soft. Jeff completely miffed with down lineman portal additions. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, 1 year mercenaries from Harvard, USF, Rutgers etc., are just not going to get it done.
English certainly is culpable but he doesn't have the players, same with Owens on the Oline.
Enough blame to go ahead.
I do agree that given time Jeff will get it fixed, just not convinced it's going to be this year.

Reactions: JTMPR
I am hoping Jeff “gets it fixed”.

However, his history says “defense is optional” and head scratcher losses to go with upset wins.

Well, we can look forward to an upset win. Or two maybe?

Get real; no one, and I mean no one is talking about firing Jeff!

Think about how the Tide, Vol, Missouri Tiger and and Cal fans feel after being upset yesterday ….. losing is a bitch, particularly a conference game.

Watch SMU, they are improving every week.

Get real; no one, and I mean no one is talking about firing Jeff!

Think about how the Tide, Vol, Missouri Tiger and and Cal fans feel after being upset yesterday ….. losing is a bitch, particularly a conference game.

Watch SMU, they are improving every week.
I agree, no one is talking about firing Jeff YET. That’s why the OP says “almost”. I think CJB is handling this well from a public relations POV. He must be very frustrated - you can almost feel his anger in that postgame presser- I wouldn’t want to be on that staff right now. We’ll see what these coaches and players are made of. I just see all these very negative posts and it sounds like the mob coming for Satt. We can’t keep changing coaches. This isn’t a KP situation where the coach is clueless. This is a proven head coach at the highest level (in college). He’s won everywhere he’s been and won 10 games last year with us. I have every confidence that this will get fixed. Let’s not abandon ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT