ADVERTISEMENT

The beginning of the end for Calipari

Looking at next year's recruiting class... Duke has the top 3 players and 4 of the top 8. I think Coach K watched closely what Calipari was doing... He saw nothing bad happening to UK. Plus Coach K is much closer to the end than the beginning of his career, and he probably feels like he has to win now. He decided to roll the dice a little bit and start taking the best players.

As long as Coach K is there, UK really can't compete very well for the top players. If Coach K wants them he's going to get them for the most part, and the proof is in the last few classes and 2018.

Looking at next year's recruiting class... Duke has the top 3 players and 4 of the top 8. I think Coach K watched closely what Calipari was doing... He saw nothing bad happening to UK. Plus Coach K is much closer to the end than the beginning of his career, and he probably feels like he has to win now. He decided to roll the dice a little bit and start taking the best players.

As long as Coach K is there, UK really can't compete very well for the top players. If Coach K wants them he's going to get them for the most part, and the proof is in the last few classes and 2018.
That is true and I'm glad. This hopefully forces Cal to adjust his philosophy away from a OAD culture to a more balanced culture. If he doesn't make that adjustment I do think the pressure will drive Cal out pretty soon.

Nothing is absolute. We stole Kevin Knox from duke.

That is true and I'm glad. This hopefully forces Cal to adjust his philosophy away from a OAD culture to a more balanced culture. If he doesn't make that adjustment I do think the pressure will drive Cal out pretty soon.
All jokes aside... I don't think cal will be driven out or asked to leave . Who would do that ...he gets good players and will always have a fighters chance based on that alone.

My title was not implying that. As a rival fan I say a lot of crap about Cal. BUT...I will say this about him, all rivalry aside. Calipari probably is a decent dude in life . He cares about his players obviously, more than the University and I don't mean that as a slight.I think he wants to change these young guys lives. I also think, unlike our last coach, Calipari is a family man. The stress of this job along with him being family oriented will cause for an early retirement I think it's written all over his face.

He's a smart man...done well for himself , won a title, screw the stress.

Reactions: Rockfly78
All jokes aside... I don't think cal will be driven out or asked to leave . Who would do that ...he gets good players and will always have a fighters chance based on that alone.

My title was not implying that. As a rival fan I say a lot of crap about Cal. BUT...I will say this about him, all rivalry aside. Calipari probably is a decent dude in life . He cares about his players obviously, more than the University and I don't mean that as a slight.I think he wants to change these young guys lives. I also think, unlike our last coach, Calipari is a family man. The stress of this job along with him being family oriented will cause for an early retirement I think it's written all over his face.

Yes, that's true about Cal, but I didn't say he would be pushed out directly. I think he'll get sick of the pressure and make a change on his own if things don't change. This season is taking a toll on him.

And it focuses more attention on Lite's ability to coach players up. Good luck with that.

Decade20of20LPT20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

the funny part is when UK is good they say the SEC sucks and when UK sucks they say the SEC is good

And it focuses more attention on Lite's ability to coach players up. Good luck with that.

I don't really agree with that. Some kids aren't particularly coachable, some may not respond to his methods and some just take longer to develop.

I don't really agree with that. Some kids aren't particularly coachable, some may not respond to his methods and some just take longer to develop.
We seem to have a team of poythreses this year. If the majority come back, then we will be fine. Actually, we’re fine regardless but I’d prefer to field a better squad sooner rather the. Later. But in the end, we’re UK We don’t ever go too far away

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I think this is where you don't just go after guys with the most stars. Some coaches target one big star and then recruit other players that fit the coaches scheme and or style of coaching. Those guys fit into the system and stay at the program and mature over time while bringing on a star player every now and then tp the mix.

Again, no slight, I'm not sure what Cals scheme is and/or if he even knows. Just going after every 5 star every season catches up with you eventually . What do I know..only time will tell.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Yes, that's true about Cal, but I didn't say he would be pushed out directly. I think he'll get sick of the pressure and make a change on his own if things don't change. This season is taking a toll on him.
That is possible. But at the same time people threw dirt on K for years. That dude is still doing it as well as anybody

Why are two UK fans dominating this thread on a UofL board. Don't they have their own boards to meet their discussion needs?

The writing is on the wall folks. Quite frankly, its written all over his chubby, sweaty face. He looks miserable, his players look miserable and continue to argue with him on the sidelines. Pluis, he is getting utterly killed on the recruiting trail. I think this could be his last year or at the latest next when his son leaves. He looks lost on the sidelines and really runs no sort of offense. It is beyond me how a coach with that many 5 star players suck that bad.

At least we have an excuse.

I disagree. It's just a down year b/c this year's class isn't full of elite OAD players. If they start losing the first weekend or going to NIT's consistently then I'll agree with you.

Why are two UK fans dominating this thread on a UofL board. Don't they have their own boards to meet their discussion needs?
Commiseration. I like that they think Lite is gonna be successful with a departure from true OAD kids. Pure comedy.

Maybe they need to see if the other guy below wants to make a return with Lite's players...

Okay, here goes.....
Most years, John Calipari recruits high rated players and somehow by tournament time has a legitimately dangerous team.
He isn't a good x an o coach. He's a salesman who has done well, and the spiel of all about the kids has brought a title, mutiple great 8s and final 4s, and some exciting basketball.
I've disliked OAD ball since day one, but it is what is. Calipari didn't create it, but he bought into it and ran. And ran well.

I think now a lot of fans are where I was years ago....I like watching players grow as individuals and teams. The six month millionaire thing got old real quick.

As far as this year's team? Ended up with 8 five star forwards that can't shoot, lose heart and play soft, with no point guard and no consistent threat from outside. Calipari never had this team....just strangers passing through on the way to draft night....
Only there's only maybe two that can make the G league.

Reactions: Senore2006
Well stated.

And that my friends, defines an elite program.

"Elite program," my a$$...

As far as this year's team? Ended up with 8 five star forwards that can't shoot, lose heart and play soft, with no point guard and no consistent threat from outside. Calipari never had this team....just strangers passing through on the way to draft night....
Only there's only maybe two that can make the G league.
Hey a lot of fans have been screaming for years for more multi year players. They may finally get it! Gonna have to let it play out. I’m excited to re visit this thread on down the road.

Reactions: billoliver40
Hey a lot of fans have been screaming for years for more multi year players. They may finally get it! Gonna have to let it play out. I’m excited to re visit this thread on down the road.
In today's game, the right mix is essential if you're gonna play the OAD game. Let's be honest....kids with the attitude of Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Towns are a rarity.
If the problem kids on UK take their leave and a point guard decides to join the frey, the Cats will bounce back.
This train wreck of a season will end soon enough.

Cal's problem is of his own making and now his thunder is being stolen by Miller, K, and random others. So much so that he cannot simply field a team based on a deduction of fitting personnel any more - as was the case when he had the pick of the litter. Asking him now to redirect his energies is almost unfair. His successes have been premised on booting the last great class out and quickly replacing them with the next bath of AA's. One is just not sure he can pick and choose as he did in the past, any more.

I will be the first to admit to a real sense of Schadenfreude over his shortages. I never believed he was a particularly good coach, dating back from his bizarre LGPA's (lowest grade point averages in history) playing of illegal players, nor his pathetic whining tactics at Memphis. His tenure at UK has been a ride beside a manure spreader. I absolutely love seeing him screw up. I hope it continues for a long time.

Cal's issue simply boils down to one thing...in order for his system to work he needs elite talent year in and year out and he's simply not getting it now because of Duke, KU, Arizona etc.

Cal must either change his system or re-convince the elite kids to come to UK.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
the funny part is when UK is good they say the SEC sucks and when UK sucks they say the SEC is good
They are like cockroaches: if you leave something on the kitchen counter overnight, they suddenly show up and multiply. You don't know where they come from or how they know about it; they just appear.

Somebody started a thread about Calipari, and this happens.

They are like cockroaches: if you leave something on the kitchen counter overnight, they suddenly show up and multiply. You don't know where they come from or how they know about it; they just appear.

Somebody started a thread about Calipari, and this happens.
You know UK fans are on the board. If you guys don’t want to hear from us then don’t start threads about UK. Otherwise you can all go back to fighting about your AD

You know UK fans are on the board. If you guys don’t want to hear from us then don’t start threads about UK. Otherwise you can all go back to fighting about your AD
I have to agree with you. I started the thread . It's fair game. For the record im.one of the few who like our AD.

Family man? LMAO! You know about who his wife was with when he 'met' her? Or who is big mouth Erin Calipari's daddy? Or his stable of mistresses in Memphis? Get outta here with this family man crap.

Cal's issue simply boils down to one thing...in order for his system to work he needs elite talent year in and year out and he's simply not getting it now because of Duke, KU, Arizona etc.

Cal must either change his system or re-convince the elite kids to come to UK.

This, pretty much.

Lol.....us Kentucky fans are personality blind as long as the coach is a winner.
JMO the two coaches in my lifetime that would be good next door neighbors were Hall and Smith.
Hall got pilloried for taking Rupps slot, Smith just absolutely hated the AAU/recruiting meat show.....and it cost him.

Reactions: brookstreet
I don't generally complain about slappies being here. But if I start a thread about Donald Trump, it doesn't mean I expect him to show up.

Slapdck%20Dogpile_zpsqxo6oosh.jpg

I don't generally complain about slappies being here. But if I start a thread about Donald Trump, it doesn't mean I expect him to show up.

Slapdck%20Dogpile_zpsqxo6oosh.jpg
But, don't be surprised if he does. Both Trump and UK fans notoriously cannot handle anything negative said about them.

Ironic you'd post on that subject below the last photo. Classic...

Lol......just when I thought I was gonna ship a bunch of cookies to Louisville. Guess I'll change the ingredients a bit.

Lol.....us Kentucky fans are personality blind as long as the coach is a winner.
JMO the two coaches in my lifetime that would be good next door neighbors were Hall and Smith.
Hall got pilloried for taking Rupps slot, Smith just absolutely hated the AAU/recruiting meat show.....and it cost him.
We are in agreement on that. Joe B. and/or Tubby on the back porch with a pitcher of iced tea talking BB would be a great time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT