ADVERTISEMENT

The beginning of the end for Calipari

Chapman123

800+
Jan 20, 2018
Louisville
The writing is on the wall folks. Quite frankly, its written all over his chubby, sweaty face. He looks miserable, his players look miserable and continue to argue with him on the sidelines. Pluis, he is getting utterly killed on the recruiting trail. I think this could be his last year or at the latest next when his son leaves. He looks lost on the sidelines and really runs no sort of offense. It is beyond me how a coach with that many 5 star players suck that bad.

At least we have an excuse.

The writing is on the wall folks. Quite frankly, its written all over his chubby, sweaty face. He looks miserable, his players look miserable and continue to argue with him on the sidelines. Pluis, he is getting utterly killed on the recruiting trail. I think this could be his last year or at the latest next when his son leaves. He looks lost on the sidelines and really runs no sort of offense. It is beyond me how a coach with that many 5 star players suck that bad.

Meh, who cares? I only concern myself with the LBA one game a season. I hope him and the fanbase are miserable together, all through March and the long off-season.

Lol

John Calipari is not going to leave Lexington until HE wants to leave Lexington unless something like what happened to Pitino happens in Lexington. All this talk about the beginning of the end for him in Lexington is just fodder best left for cows to eat.

He will stay employed as long as "he" wants. But his big recruiting days are over. Coach K has stolen the throne. Everyone knows he is an abysmal coach. UK will be average to below average from here on out.

Coach K deciding to go one and done would be the biggest factor in his demise if it actually happens. I hate to have to thank him but better Duke than UK getting the best talent.

Coach K deciding to go one and done would be the biggest factor in his demise if it actually happens. I hate to have to thank him but better Duke than UK getting the best talent.
Serious question..all jokes aside and all rivalry bias aside.

What do you think a Calipari team would look like if he didn't have all of these stars to speak of? Do you honestly believe that he can coach? I dont mean those questions sarcastically either, I want to hear your opinion.

The big difference between K and Cal in my opinion is that K is a hell of a coach stars or not. I might be ignorant but I watch UK, sit there ,and literally try to figure out what they are running and cant see anything. He did finally run an out of bounds play the last game but it was similar to what we ran in Catholic grade school. He jsut stands on the sidelines and yells at his players telling them what to do and where to go ..its odd to watch.

I think you take a roster full of 5 stars away from him and it may be a disaster.

Reactions: Googstercard

What do you think a Calipari team would look like if he didn't have all of these stars to speak of? Do you honestly believe that he can coach? I dont mean those questions sarcastically either, I want to hear your opinion.

The big difference between K and Cal in my opinion is that K is a hell of a coach stars or not. I might be ignorant but I watch UK, sit there ,and literally try to figure out what they are running and cant see anything. He did finally run an out of bounds play the last game but it was similar to what we ran in Catholic grade school. He jsut stands on the sidelines and yells at his players telling them what to do and where to go ..its odd to watch.

I think you take a roster full of 5 stars away from him and it may be a disaster.
Calipari is not a great coach. However it would be fair to ask how good would Coach K would be with just 3 and 4 star players? The dude usually has 7-9 McD AA's on his roster and while he often gets good results with them it is not as if he is taking the kind of talent Brad Stevens had at Butler and overachieving.

Reactions: shutzhund
Calipari is not a great coach. However it would be fair to ask how good would Coach K would be with just 3 and 4 star players? The dude usually has 7-9 McD AA's on his roster and while he often gets good results with them it is not as if he is taking the kind of talent Brad Stevens had at Butler and overachieving.
True...Stevens is a rare breed of a coach.

OK, I'll play along. Normally I wouldn't do this because it doesn't really interest me all that much, but here it goes.

20 to 25 years ago John Calipari was an average to below average coach in my very humble opinion. Like most who continue to do the same thing year after year after year, he has become better at his job. That fact combined with the one and done NBA rule, AND his close personal relationship with William Wesley, he became a really good coach. Hall of Fame coach to be exact. I can't stand anything about Calipari but that doesn't mean I can't be objective. He is in the Hall of Fame. They don't let just anyone in the Basketball Hall of Fame. He has earned respect. I don't like him but I respect his accomplishments. He's earned that much.

I was just about to say, he’s in the hall of fame. He doesn’t suck. He’s a lightning rod for criticism because of his polarizing demeanor.

K is the best, but cal coaches defense better IMO. Both need good players. What sets them apart is that they can recruit the best and that’s part of the equation. You can’t dismiss it just because you want to.

Well, I enjoy watching him sweat and cry. So LOL, you guys are picking on poor little Johnny Calipari, who is ready to cry.

Reactions: Cue Card
I have said several times that he will leave sUcK and go to the NBA once the other SEC teams hire better coaches that can beat him. His ego won’t let him finish 2,3 or even 4 in the SEC and neither will his fan base, the clock is now ticking.

I have heard more than one slapstick tell me they would welcome Pitino back with open arms but Barnfart would never allow it. If that is the case, then maybe Kenny Paine is the next Big Blew Coach “in waiting”!

I have no idea if Calipari wants to coach another year at UK or not. If he isn't UK's coach next year it'll be his choice.

He needs to hang in there until until the end of next season...

Decade%20of%20LPT%20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

I think he is a two to three-star bench/X&O coach at best. I also think the guy has a very average staff. It’s funny, you had a few people clamoring for Kenny Payne to UofL recently (gag reflex). I’ve only seen Payne with a dry erase board in his hand ONE TIME! He does very little on the sidelines that I can tell during a game.

Your boy Cal also seems more like a guy acting like a coach than actually coaching. Almost like he’s putting on a show for those sitting close enough to hear and for the TV cameras. I definitely think his better days are behind him - thank God! He also is a sweaty mess, second only to Buzz Williams.

I used to say I couldn’t wait until he was gone, now I view him like I do Stoops - I hope you guys are stuck with him for another ten years! Yes, he owns our rivalry - but he is no threat to bring home any NCAA titles.

I think he is a two to three-star bench/X&O coach at best. I also think the guy has a very average staff. It’s funny, you had a few people clamoring for Kenny Payne to UofL recently (gag reflex). I’ve only seen Payne with a dry erase board in his hand ONE TIME! He does very little on the sidelines that I can tell during a game.

Your boy Cal also seems more like a guy acting like a coach than actually coaching. Almost like he’s putting on a show for those sitting close enough to hear and for the TV cameras. I definitely think his better days are behind him - thank God! He also is a sweaty mess, second only to Buzz Williams.

I used to say I couldn’t wait until he was gone, now I view him like I do Stoops - I hope you guys are stuck with him for another ten years! Yes, he owns our rivalry - but he is no threat to bring home any NCAA titles.
Dude he is not my coach.....I am no UK fan

When I signed up I pretended to be a UK fan so that I could spark fire on their boards and post over there and was kicked off literally in a day (more like 4 hours). I hate most UK fans with a passion. Not as people in general, but as sports fans. I have a few family members who are UK fans and I love them I just cant talk sport with them, because they are delusional AF.

I have been a UofL fan since I was a little boy. The name "Chapman" is something that I got in the service and has nothing to do with my love for UK or Rex Chapman.

I am a little bothered at the moment at our current admin. Im not saying what happened to the old didn't need to happen, but we have a few schmucks running our dept at the moment. This does make it hard to cheer them on, on some days. Im just going to wait it out and hope that we get some competent people in there soon to start fixing this mess....transparently.

Dude he is not my coach.....I am no UK fan

When I signed up I pretended to be a UK fan so that I could spark fire on their boards and post over there and was kicked off literally in a day (more like 4 hours). I hate most UK fans with a passion. Not as people in general, but as sports fans. I have a few family members who are UK fans and I love them I just cant talk sport with them, because they are delusional AF.

I have been a UofL fan since I was a little boy. The name "Chapman" is something that I got in the service and has nothing to do with my love for UK or Rex Chapman.

I am a little bothered at the moment at our current admin. Im not saying what happened to the old didn't need to happen, but we have a few schmucks running our dept at the moment. This does make it hard to cheer them on, on some days. Im just going to wait it out and hope that we get some competent people in there soon to start fixing this mess....transparently.
Watch out Shorty will tell you he ate potato chips out a bag so he could go to U of L games. You can’t top that as being a true Cardinal fan and you better not misspell anyone’s name, God forbid.

Reactions: Chapman123
I will admit that the coaching spot at uk is a top job. Their fans seem to be everywhere, annoyingly. Good facilities and they play in a below average conference (don't care what people are saying about SEC this year it's still not a good conference). It is a popular brand with big recruits coming out. And all of the energy and effort from the athletic department is focused on basketball. But honestly who would want to coach after calipari? He won a title and has been to a bunch of final fours. He brings in flashy players that get their dopey fans excited up until the first game of the season when they realize that these talented kids still need to actually be coached. So with all of the attention that calipari brought them and they're all now annoyed with losing, who wants to come in to that group of crazies and say "I'm here to do better!....and I won't mind putting up with your s***!"

No one.

I will admit that the coaching spot at uk is a top job. Their fans seem to be everywhere, annoyingly. Good facilities and they play in a below average conference (don't care what people are saying about SEC this year it's still not a good conference). It is a popular brand with big recruits coming out. And all of the energy and effort from the athletic department is focused on basketball. But honestly who would want to coach after calipari? He won a title and has been to a bunch of final fours. He brings in flashy players that get their dopey fans excited up until the first game of the season when they realize that these talented kids still need to actually be coached. So with all of the attention that calipari brought them and they're all now annoyed with losing, who wants to come in to that group of crazies and say "I'm here to do better!....and I won't mind putting up with your s***!"...
You're certainly right about the recruiting issue for his successor... No one will bring in that caliber of player, and that's a big deal to slapd!ck fans. OTOH, just about anyone's gonna be a better bench coach...

Isn't sUcK 5th in the SEC right now I wonder how often the fan base will settle for that.

I'm not sure which end of I-64 is hosting the bigger clown show at the moment...

Decade20of20LPT20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

We are down.......until we ain’t.

Keep bumping this. Don’t forget to bring it back to life over the summer too

UK fans all giddy at the beginning of the season because their rival doesn't have a permanent head coach. Yet, hey blow so much ass that they can't even enjoy it .

Here is Cal problem the SEC is getting better and better in basketball. They have good coaches. Everyone is getting better players. He no longer has time to protect his young team and make tweaks. He used to be able to walk through the SEC with no problem with his team learning as they went through the season. This year that isn't the case. It will be interesting to see who leaves after this year.

His other problem is these kids aren't going to be able to deal with him for 3-4 years. The beauty of his system is everyone knows it is one year when it lingers into 2 and 3 years that constant screaming won't work with the players he is recruiting. They want out. Let's see what Gabriel, Diallo, and SKJ do after this year.

Coach K is finding that out as well in the ACC. This league is very tough on freshman. I don't care how good they are. Roy Williams seems to be the one coach that his really good players who haven't reached their potential make really good decisions about staying in school.

Reactions: SoulSr
he's not leaving as uk fans will take the frustration of this year knowing every year they have the talent to win it. uk, no matter what, every year, will be top 5 pre season and it comes down to whether they gel or not. uk fans will take that every year.

the simple problem with cal's coaching style is that he let's his players make the decisions on the court at the end of the game just as they do for the rest of the game. in contrast, coach k let's his players make decision for most of the game then in the last four minutes he takes over and ddraws up plays to run. that's why they are successful in clutch moments and uk is not.

coach k runs the team whereas cal still let's the players makes the decisions. and thus instead of having four titles cal has squandered three opportunities because his players ran the plays at the end of games.

cal is a hall of fame coach because he adapted the dribble drive and he got players who could run it. the premise being you beat your guy off the dribble, drive the lane, kick it out or throw it up on the boards.

he recruits players who are the best at their position and can guard one on one. easy to run the dribble drive when you guy is bigger and faster than the defender. he recruits to his system. he doesn't have to teach too much defense, unlike a pitino whom that's all he taught. however, give him 3-4 star guys and he'd be lucky to get to the elite 8 every year. so great coach, not a great end of game manager

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Coach K is doing it better and a few of the top dogs are also seeing they can play in Siberia and still make the league.

They will always be sniffing with what they do but they don't have the same shine they did a few years ago.

I still don't count the team out but they'll have to do it from a bad seed this year. I haven't watched them enough to know if anybody on their roster is as good as Randle - his team under achieved in a similar way but still made the title game.

Either way recruiting a team full of OAD has always been a hollow mercenary approach and they've deserved a few more disappointing seasons than they've had.

All that said as Zipp will point out with all the hype this guy has the same # of titles as the guy they ran out of town.

uk, no matter what, every year, will be top 5 pre season and it comes down to whether they gel or not.

I think it comes down more to if they have a true NBA legit lotto type or just a good recruiting class in a bad national class. All the other stuff you say may come into it, but the bottom line for their program will be - just how good are their top recruits? They trying to ride a guy like Towns or Davis? Or is their top dog much, much less....

That's all it comes down to with them.

Cal is Cal. The type of kid Cal recruits are those kids that he thinks are good enough and talented enough physically to need a little coaching...but mostly just the opportunity to be "pushed" and the opportunity to play. You're not coming to UK in order to be "coached up" or "developed."

Thats a double edged sword. Cal's kids are typically confident and elite talent. They have to be good enough for Cal to think they can be a lottery pick and they have to be confident enough in themselves that they think they're nearly ready for the NBA. So...when the "elite" of the "elite" kids don't come to UK...The Trae Youngs, the Ayton's, the Bamba's, the Bagley's....then what he's left with are solid 2-3 year kids that are forced to play minutes they don't deserve. Kevin Knox and Alexander are the only two 1st round picks on that team right now and neither are lottery picks. Diallo and Vanderbilt have potential but both need loads of work.

Cal has won 1 title with Townes, Davis, Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe, Booker, Knight, Gilchrist, Randle, etc. Those are some of the best players in the NBA right now....and you expect him to win when his roster has maybe 2 NBA players on it? This is the worst roster Cal has ever had at UK and its his fault.

You can complain about his system - the way he builds teams and recruits more-so than you can complain the results of this team. Cal has always hung his hat on recruiting and right now he's simply not getting to cherry pick the elite kids he wants and this is the result. He either must up the ante and get these elite kids back to UK or change his system because Cal isn't going to be successful if he's forced to develop and teach.

When people type 'Cal', I think of California. Not Calipari. That's just me I guess.

The real issue at play here is every single recruiting class is different in talent levels. One top recruiting class versus another top recruiting class has gaps. They are never the same and the experts aren't always correct in their assessments of the talent.

When you constantly rely on top talent in each class without any type of returning talent to offset the possible dropoff aka gap, you have issues that are difficult to overcome. That is what Calipari is seeing this year and that's why UofK is not as good as they normally are most years. It's the talent gap. Last years top talent just wasn't all that great, and the few top talented kids who were went somewhere else other than Lexington.

It's not rocket science. It's just sports.

The real issue at play here is every single recruiting class is different in talent levels. .

This seems to be the case. And with the weasel at that academic school in Durham embracing the top mercenary approach the shine appears to fading down the road just a little bit. Maybe.

OK, I'll play along. Normally I wouldn't do this because it doesn't really interest me all that much, but here it goes.

20 to 25 years ago John Calipari was an average to below average coach in my very humble opinion. Like most who continue to do the same thing year after year after year, he has become better at his job. That fact combined with the one and done NBA rule, AND his close personal relationship with William Wesley, he became a really good coach. Hall of Fame coach to be exact. I can't stand anything about Calipari but that doesn't mean I can't be objective. He is in the Hall of Fame. They don't let just anyone in the Basketball Hall of Fame. He has earned respect. I don't like him but I respect his accomplishments. He's earned that much.

There's a fair opinion. The bad and the good. Unusual to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT