ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Penn State

Huh? Ohio State can still win the Big 10 with a loss. How does tonight help UL?

We still need more chaos, but it helps. Now if OSU happens to lose to Michigan it takes out the possibility of a 1 loss non champ BIG team jumping us. I hope MSU or somebody else beats Michigan so the loser of that last game is eliminated.

Still a lot of undefeated teams out there right now. But schedules are getting tougher for most.

We still need more chaos, but it helps. Now if OSU happens to lose to Michigan it takes out the possibility of a 1 loss non champ BIG team jumping us. I hope MSU or somebody else beats Michigan so the loser of that last game is eliminated.
MSU in no way will beat Michigan. The Spartans would lose to UK.

It means that the loser of the Mich-OSU game will likely not make the playoff now over a Louisville team that wins out.

Most of us that post here get that but I thought it necessary to explain to the mentally challenged folks, ala CL.

The mentally challenged Louisvillian, it does not mean that at all. If OSU wins the Michigan game, OSU wins the division assuming no other losses. If OSU then wins the Big 10 title game, they go to the playoff and Michigan still stands ahead of UL in all likelihood should a non-champion have a shot. There is also still no reason to think a non-champion has a shot. But, those of us who are not "mentally challenged" already knew that.

Huh? Ohio State can still win the Big 10 with a loss. How does tonight help UL?
Seriously Cardlaw? Now we know you consider yourself a intelligent man, so there must be some emotion there overriding your intellect. Of course OSU's loss tonight helps Louisville, but it doesn't mean ultimately it will matter. But any undefeated power 5 team to lose is something Louisville wants to see and needs to make the playoff. You know that.

The fact is Louisville needs a lot of help and OSU and Texas A&M losing is a start. Now a Michigan and Washington loss is needed.

The mentally challenged Louisvillian, it does not mean that at all. If OSU wins the Michigan game, OSU wins the division assuming no other losses. If OSU then wins the Big 10 title game, they go to the playoff and Michigan still stands ahead of UL in all likelihood should a non-champion have a shot. There is also still no reason to think a non-champion has a shot. But, those of us who are not "mentally challenged" already knew that.
Ok Gomer. Keep thinking that by your miserable sorry self. See what the College football experts say Monday and get back to me Darth.

Somehow I see a little CL having a full blown temper tantrum right now. Sleep well little fella.

Seriously Cardlaw? Now we know you consider yourself a intelligent man, so there must be some emotion there overriding your intellect. Of course OSU's loss tonight helps Louisville, but it doesn't mean ultimately it will matter. But any undefeated power 5 team to lose is something Louisville wants to see and needs to make the playoff. You know that.

The fact is Louisville needs a lot of help and OSU and Texas A&M losing is a start. Now a Michigan and Washington loss is needed.
Here's your updated Top 5 with lots of football to play.... 1. Alabama, 2.Michigan, 3.Clemson, 4. Washington, 5. Louisville

End of story for today.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Ok Gomer. Keep thinking that by your miserable sorry self. See what the College football experts say Monday and get back to me Darth.

Somehow I see a little CL having a full blown temper tantrum right now. Sleep well little fella.

Ok Queen. You just go ahead and see what you want to see. I don't even like Ohio State so why I would be having a "tantrum" is a mystery to me. I am also not delusional - unlike you. December 4th let's meet back here and see who is having the tantrum. And try to avoid slap fights with the hubby between now and then, okay sister?

I think that the loser of OSU vs Michigan will not get in over Louisville if everything holds as it is right now. This is because the loser would either have 1 loss to a team with 1 loss (Michigan loses to OSU) or if OSU loses they would have 2 losses. Right now a close loss to Clemson on the road is better than a close loss to penn st on the road.

Ok Queen. You just go ahead and see what you want to see. I don't even like Ohio State so why I would be having a "tantrum" is a mystery to me. I am also not delusional - unlike you. December 4th let's meet back here and see who is having the tantrum. And try to avoid slap fights with the hubby between now and then, okay sister?
Sad little fella. We can talk about it whenever you want. I'm always here for you.

I think that the loser of OSU vs Michigan will not get in over Louisville if everything holds as it is right now. This is because the loser would either have 1 loss to a team with 1 loss (Michigan loses to OSU) or if OSU loses they would have 2 losses. Right now a close loss to Clemson on the road is better than a close loss to penn st on the road.
Exactly.

Sad little fella. We can talk about it whenever you want. I'm always here for you.

Alabama is 8-0 and ranked No. 1 and improving week by week. I'm pretty happy right now. I am not on the outside looking in. I am on the inside where my team has succeeded 16 times already. Where's your team?

I tend to agree that a one loss Michigan team shouldn't get in over a 1 loss Louisville team if that's what it comes down to. But I think that's what would happen. Even though Michigan would be rewarded after losing their last game of the year. They would enter the final 4 coming off a loss. Now I'm talking about Michigan's loss being to OSU which is the only game they have left they can possibly lose in my opinion.

There are so many possibilities, many being so messed up that could keep the Cards out. Let's say OSU beats Michigan but loses the Big 10 championship game to a two loss Wisconsin team. Would the Big 10 champion get in over a one loss Big 10 team? Very similar to Clemson and Louisville.

What if LSU beats Alabama and plays in the SEC championship but loses to a 2 loss Tennessee team? Would Alabama get left out over a 2 loss SEC champion? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Basically, everything has to fall perfectly for Louisville to be a playoff team. It is ironic that it would have been better for the Cards to have beaten Clemson and lost to NC State. We would then be in OSU's position.

Alabama is 8-0 and ranked No. 1 and improving week by week. I'm pretty happy right now. I am not on the outside looking in. I am on the inside where my team has succeeded 16 times already. Where's your team?
Currently the next team up to make the 4 team playoff.

By the way, if this your happy self, what the hell would be your unhappy self be like? Yikes, I'm happy disparaging Louisville football after my dominant Alabami team wins again.... Woooo-hooooo!

All the scenarios and arguments is why the football playoff is still flawed. The playoff needs to be taken to eight teams, monitored for a few years and if it needs to go to sixteen teams find a way to make it feasible.

It makes absolutely no sense that a team cannot lose a game and be eligible for a championship. Or that a team cannot improve throughout the season and compete for a championship. Name another sport of any kind that operates like this. The powers to be want college football to be a "controlled democracy". Their goal is to convince the general public that everyone has a chance when in reality only a few actually will be considered to compete for the prize.

That's part of the reason why college football is the most exciting sport to watch. Every game matters and sometimes you have to hope everything falls into place for you to be selected if you do lose a game. That may be a minority opinion though.

Cards now must take care of business!!!

Interestingly enough, although Penn State and Ohio State are in the same division and each has one loss, Penn State still needs help whereas Ohio State doesn't. Well, they do, but follow along.

Because of the tiebreakers in the Big 10, if Penn State and Ohio State both win out, and Michigan wins out other than the OSU game, OSU will win the division. That is because there would be a three way tie with each being 1-1 versus the other two. The winner is the highest ranked which, the way things normally work, would most likely be Ohio State.

So, Ohio State just needs to win and hope Michigan continues doing the same (which it appears likely they will). If, however, someone else can beat Michigan and Ohio State beats Michigan, Penn State wins the division with the head-to-head advantage over Ohio State. Kind of a quirky situation but I suspect it is theoretically possible in every league. It just happens to be playing out in the Big 10 this year.

I'll take status quo with the exception of Washington needs to lose. Washington has gaudy numbers, but against a really weak SOS. They lose a game and it will cost them 6 spots in the rankings.

Bama, OSU, Clemson and UofL. GAWD can you hear the SEC homers howling over that one? LOL

...If OSU wins the Michigan game, OSU wins the division assuming no other losses. If OSU then wins the Big 10 title game, they go to the playoff and Michigan still stands ahead of UL in all likelihood should a non-champion have a shot...
A one-loss (at the hands of tOSU) Michigan team does not stand ahead of Louisville. If that loss is close like U of L's loss at Clemson, it would help them. But they would have no eye-opening win, nothing on par with U of L's win over FSU. Ours isn't great, but Michigan's SOS is weak, and they would have no CFP tie-breaker advantage over U of L in that situation.

After this past Saturday and unless Clemson loses, Michigan losing to tOSU would also not have quite the prestige in the "close loss" rankings since tOSU has now slipped a bit.

Penn State is not a great team. And their win over tOSU no question has hurt the Big Ten's chances of getting an at-large invite regardless of the outcome of the Michigan-tOSU game...

A one-loss (at the hands of tOSU) Michigan team does not stand ahead of Louisville. If that loss is close like U of L's loss at Clemson, it would help them. But they would have no eye-opening win, nothing on par with U of L's win over FSU. Ours isn't great, but Michigan's SOS is weak, and they would have no CFP tie-breaker advantage over U of L in that situation.

After this past Saturday and unless Clemson loses, Michigan losing to tOSU would also not have quite the prestige in the "close loss" rankings since tOSU has now slipped a bit.

Penn State is not a great team. And their win over tOSU no question has hurt the Big Ten's chances of getting an at-large invite regardless of the outcome of the Michigan-tOSU game...
Well, the Michigan best win depends on how Wisconsin finishes. If they finish 10-2 and FSU loses to Clemson and finishes 9-3, I believe the Wisconsin win for Michigan may be the better win. Of course they didn't win by 43 points.

Another thing that I consider to be a detriment to Michigan (and I hope the panel does too) is their schedule. They only play 4 road games this season. Thus far, they have only played 1 (at Rutgers) For the remainder of the season they're at MSU, at Iowa and at Ohio State. They have IU and Maryland left at home

Sorry, when you only play 4 road games versus 8 home games, I think that should be a ding on your SOS

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT