ADVERTISEMENT

Texas fan here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if you are serious here or are kidding? Lost to FIU on purpose to prepare for UK? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is that you there Charlie?

I'm not sure whether that "loss" was on purpose or not, but it has become apparent to anyone with a brain that Texas is stalling the growth of the BigXII so Houston won't be admitted as a conference member so Houston will "lose" Herman and allow Texas to swoop in and steal him. What a great tradition you guys have down there. Plus the "racial" thing that occurred when Charlie was hired will someday come back too bite you in the ass. I believe that there are quite a few African-American players on your squad and eventually they will get the message from the top of the Longhorn food chain.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Herman would destroy him with Greg Ward Jr. at quarterback. Unfortunately at Texas, you aren't getting Greg Ward with that deal.
you're smoking crack. herman takes texas' roster and destroys houston with or without ward. hell herman takes texas' roster and destroys louisville with lamar jackson.. put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Great comments, but the whole "you have to be a politician to succeed as Texas head coach" narrative is wrong. Strong is not a politician and that didn't matter one bit. His first mistake was bringing Watson and Bedford with him, and the list goes on and on from there.
Watson for sure but Bedford is a good football coach

Power Program = Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas, and USC.

Those 17 programs have accounted for 45 of the last 50 NCs won. BYU, GA Tech, Pitt, Colorado, and Washington were the others.

Would it change your mind if you knew that of the 25 coaches who've won a NC at a power program in the last 43 years, 19 of them won their first NC within their first 4 years on the job? Or, that of the 81 coaches who've coached at least 29 games for a power program over that same time frame, Charlie's record is the 4th worst (44.8%)? Or, that the worst winning percentage of an eventual NC winning coach through their first 29 games, was 65.5% by Bobby Bowden & Lou Holtz. They are the only two with a winning percentage below 69% through 29 games, who went on to win a NC at that school. And, 13 of the 25 coaches who won a NC at a power program were above 75% through 29 games. Charlie's winning percentage is over 20 percentage points lower than the lowest winning percentage of any NC winning coach in the modern era who coached at a power program.

How much more time does he need? For him to become a NC winning coach, he would have to not only defy history, he'd have to shatter it. The only coach with a winning percentage below 60% who turned out decent was John Cooper. He lasted 13 seasons before eventually being fired. He finished his Ohio State coaching career with a 2-10-1 record vs Michigan, a 3-8 record in bowl games, just 3 conference titles, and 2 NC runner-up finishes. That's as good as it has ever gotten for any coach that has started with a record below .600 in his first 29 games.

Texas doesn't need patience. You know everything you need to know about whether a coach is going to be a NC caliber coach within the first 2 years. Just think about it. 25 coaches at 17 power programs have accounted for 38 of the last 43 NCs. 19 of them won their first NC within 4 years.

Won NC in 1st year:
* Larry Coker
* Dennis Erickson

Won NC in 2nd year:
* Bob Stoops
* Barry Switzer
* Gene Chizik
* Urban Meyer (Florida)
* Jim Tressel

Won NC in 3rd year:
* Nick Saban (Alabama)
* Gene Stallings
* Lou Holtz
* Dan Devine
* Urban Meyer (tOSU)
* Barry Switzer
* Pete Carroll
* Lloyd Carr
* Les Miles
* Dennis Erickson
* John Robinson

Won NC in 4th year:
* Pete Carroll
* Urban Meyer (Florida)
* Jimbo Fisher
* Jimmy Johnson
* Danny Ford
* Nick Saban (LSU)

It's time to move on. We know everything we need to know.

It took Royal 6 years. Should you have fired him?

you're smoking crack. herman takes texas' roster and destroys houston with or without ward. hell herman takes texas' roster and destroys louisville with lamar jackson.. put that in your pipe and smoke it.
I agree that Herman would beat Houston with Texas' roster but, you're insane to think that underachieving and heartless defense wouldn't be shredded by Petrino and LJ. UofL has a top 5 offense - the horns are being teabagged by the likes of Cal - lol.

Reactions: c'est la vie
Interesting perspectives. Thanks for chiming in, guys. Your team is a blast to watch this year. Best of luck.

I'm tellin' ya all he needs is some Florida players.

And what's the deal with all the low post counts?

Anything else you Texans want to know about FB just come on back.

Not too sure anymore that the reason Louisville coaches are successful is because they're at Louisville. And except for Petrino, when they go elsewhere, that success ends. We've had a better track record of ASSISTANTS going elsewhere and succeeding. Maybe the Horns oughta be seriously looking at Grantham...

People who like a counterpuncher's mentality (i.e., a defensive minded coach) considered his offensive and defensive strategies while at Louisville a thing of beauty. The teams we had in 2012 and 2013 were a lot like watching a monstrous python slowly crush the life out of a kangaroo. You just know that kangaroo is doomed!

The only time during his four years at Louisville that I had a question about an in-game coaching move was late in the season during his first year here. We were in overtime against South Florida, tied at 21, and we had the ball first. We didn't make it on third down, and he went for it on fourth and short. The running play got stuffed. South Florida then ran three plays and kicked the field goal to win 24-21.

The explanation for that decision from Coach Strong was that he was trying to instill confidence and toughness in his players, who were still getting used to his way of coaching. I still think he should have kicked the field goal, but after watching his team for four years, I can say that the confidence and toughness his teams displayed in years 3 and 4 was very effective.

It's a bummer he's completely lost during games at Texas. Maybe he can't handle the pressure. Can't think of any other reason if he wasn't a moron before being hired at Texas.

It's a bummer he's completely lost during games at Texas. Maybe he can't handle the pressure. Can't think of any other reason if he wasn't a moron before being hired at Texas.
going to be sad when Tom Herman goes to another school and Texas is stuck looking for another lame duck coach.

Maybe if the coach had full control, Texas would begin to rebuild and get out of the basement of college football.

The bigxII sucks. It is one of the worst P5 conferences if not the worst. It's obvious that Charlie made a mistake. I'm glad he was here and he did a good job for us but I'm also grateful that you guys were silly enough to offer him $25 million. Now Charlie can dance off into the sunset on YOUR money, not ours. Now as one of your posters said, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ;) And, for God's sake, stop imitating uahkay fans. At Texas you should be better than that.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT