ADVERTISEMENT

Still the same....

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Watching tonights ACC preview on ESPN I could hear old rocker Bob Seger singing the song "Still the same". I mean what does Louisville football have to do to earn some respect from these so called experts? An hour long show and Louisville, the 19 ranked team was not featured at all. When they were mentioned, it was in a negative way. One expert picked us as the most over hyped ACC team and neither expert had Lamar Jackson as the ACC breakout player.

Every returning ACC head coach was shown except for Bobby Petrino. No mention of Fields, even though he is a 1st team all american on two lists. Kelsey was mentioned but for two seconds. Louisville again was a afterthought. Still the same wanna be in these experts minds. I mean who else has said Louisville is over hyped? I don't know why I expected anything different when I sat down to watch the show. The leagues 3rd highest ranked team got less coverage than Miami, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. I know I know, just prove it on the field.

At least we''re not Syracuse, who wasn't mentioned at all except they have a new coach.

Watching tonights ACC preview on ESPN I could hear old rocker Bob Seger singing the song "Still the same". I mean what does Louisville football have to do to earn some respect from these so called experts? An hour long show and Louisville, the 19 ranked team was not featured at all. When they were mentioned, it was in a negative way. One expert picked us as the most over hyped ACC team and neither expert had Lamar Jackson as the ACC breakout player.

Every returning ACC head coach was shown except for Bobby Petrino. No mention of Fields, even though he is a 1st team all american on two lists. Kelsey was mentioned but for two seconds. Louisville again was a afterthought. Still the same wanna be in these experts minds. I mean who else has said Louisville is over hyped? I don't know why I expected anything different when I sat down to watch the show. The leagues 3rd highest ranked team got less coverage than Miami, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. I know I know, just prove it on the field.

At least we''re not Syracuse, who wasn't mentioned at all except they have a new coach.

Wasn't there a story earlier this month about the editor of on air content having UK and Calipari employment ties? ESPN always short changes UofL. 3 years into the ACC and we still haven't had a good late Saturday afternoon/night home games. The only reason we get games on there period is conf affiliation contractual requirements and their need for inventory.

Wasn't there a story earlier this month about the editor of on air content having UK and Calipari employment ties? ESPN always short changes UofL. 3 years into the ACC and we still haven't had a good late Saturday afternoon/night home games. The only reason we get games on there period is conf affiliation contractual requirements and their need for inventory.
During Petrino's first tenure here we were on ESPN all the time, mostly on weekday games, but we had quite a following. But we weren't a real threat to the big power conference schools. Now that we're in the ACC, ESPN has suddenly shoved us to the back of the bus. If we win they have to showcase us but it's clear to me they would rather not. There is simply no reason that an hour long show about the ACC would have so little of the 19 ranked team. When they did talk about how the Cards are over hyped, it was the last 5 minutes of the show. So all Cards fan had to wait 55 minutes to hear any real opinion on the 19th ranked team and when we did, it was the Cards over over hyped and Jackson isn't the breakout player but a UNC QB is.

Rubbish!

To be fair the reason there hasn't been a good Saturday night/afternoon home game is both of the major national draws to play in Papa Johns Stadium (Florida state and Clemson) have both been Thursday night games. No other acc school with the exception of Miami (Monday night game to open season ) will bring in enough viewers to fill an ESPN prime time slot. Louisville is not a household name throughout the country. ESPN gets more viewers by putting Ohio state, Alabama,Florida, lsu, Georgia, Oregon, type teams on the prime time slots even if the game doesn't look as God on paper. Those teams have big national followings.

Would like to hear independent confirmation of the OP...

I watched. OP is 100% accurate. Makes sense that the two schools ranked above UofL would take top billing, everybody views them as legitimate top national contenders. In addition to those other schools getting far more coverage, the only thing the OP left out was that ND received far more coverage than we did as well, but no mention of the recently suspended players there (all positive press). Reminded me why I have watched very little other than actual games on ESPN in years.

EDIT: Add UNC to the list of schools that got more coverage than we did.

Start beating Clemson and Florida State !

Start beating Clemson and Florida State !
Did UNC, Pitt, VA tech, or Miami beat those two teams? They were shown more than the Cards. The point of this thread is not that Louisville should be mentioned as much as Clemson and FSU but that they shouldn't be virtually ignored. Are you suggesting that UofL has to beat these teams to get more than a few minutes coverage on a hour long TV show on the ACC?

We've always done well as the underdog so I'm OK with it. This team has a lot of play makers, and a coach who knows how to get the best out of the talent he has. If I have one complaint about the new Bobby, it's the fact he's not the old nasty Bobby who used to make a point with the scoreboard. Remember the UC game where they stomped on the Cardinal logo? Final score 70-7 and he was pissed about giving up that TD. I want to see THAT Bobby Petrino again.

I don't watch many of these shows because quite frankly most of these so called experts don't know crap. They don't do their homework.

There are very few guys in each sport that really know what they are talking about. Even though many on this board don't like him, Jay Bilas in basketball is a guy that I listen to because he does his home work and knows the game. In football Phil Steele is that guy for me. The rest are mostly just talking heads.

I watched the replay this morning and saw this disaster of coverage of the ACC. I mean one guy was hyping up Miami.....yes Miami. That was just because of the new coach and suddenly they are more equipped to make a run than we are??? It was definitely some sad and slanted coverage.

It's a good thing I do not care to seek ESPiN's validation. We take care of business and those trolls will soon have to swallow their vomit and give us praise. No better time than the present to make a statement and beat 1 or both of Clemson and FSU. I know we can compete and should beat FSU. The Clemson game will be a tall order but we were close the last 2 years so I still give us a punchers chance. We just can't have any other let downs on our schedule....and there are a few (Marshal and Houston).

Louisville isn't being "dis-respected". You just sound like a whiny "homer" fan.

Beat Clemson and/or Florida State and they'll move up the ladder on the "expectations" ladder.

Louisville is a comfortable pick for 3rd in their division until UofL shows they should be considered a legit pick to be number 2 or even number 1 in their division.

Do it on the field and then it can be "expected".

Reactions: SoulSr
To be fair the reason there hasn't been a good Saturday night/afternoon home game is both of the major national draws to play in Papa Johns Stadium (Florida state and Clemson) have both been Thursday night games. No other acc school with the exception of Miami (Monday night game to open season ) will bring in enough viewers to fill an ESPN prime time slot. Louisville is not a household name throughout the country. ESPN gets more viewers by putting Ohio state, Alabama,Florida, lsu, Georgia, Oregon, type teams on the prime time slots even if the game doesn't look as God on paper. Those teams have big national followings.

ESPN's prime time game for week 1 is Colorado St. vs Colorado. No one outside of Colorado is going to watch that, so your logic is a bit off. Louisville also plays prime time in week 2. Granted, it's a Friday game and will be aired on ESPN2, but prime time is prime time. I also take umbrage with your claim UofL isn't a "household" name. Louisville certainly isn't a traditional football school like Bama, Florida,etc., but folks around the country know who the Cardinals are. BCS bowls, putting guys in the NFL, a famous for a variety of reasons head coach, a star in the making at QB, I could go on. The program isn't near what it once was pre Howard.

I do agree ESPN and UofL have beef. Pretty apparent, IMO.

ESPN's prime time game for week 1 is Colorado St. vs Colorado. No one outside of Colorado is going to watch that, so your logic is a bit off. Louisville also plays prime time in week 2. Granted, it's a Friday game and will be aired on ESPN2, but prime time is prime time. I also take umbrage with your claim UofL isn't a "household" name. Louisville certainly isn't a traditional football school like Bama, Florida,etc., but folks around the country know who the Cardinals are. BCS bowls, putting guys in the NFL, a famous for a variety of reasons head coach, a star in the making at QB, I could go on. The program isn't near what it once was pre Howard.

Louisville isn't being "dis-respected". You just sound like a whiny "homer" fan.

Beat Clemson and/or Florida State and they'll move up the ladder on the "expectations" ladder.

Louisville is a comfortable pick for 3rd in their division until UofL shows they should be considered a legit pick to be number 2 or even number 1 in their division.

You're not comprehending what I'm saying. I don't expect overflowing, big time hype for Louisville on this show. As a Cards fan, I wanted to watch a show called ACC preview and see some coverage about the 19th ranked Cardinals. There was nothing for 55 minutes. No talk whatsoever about all the starters coming back or the win in the bowl game over Texas A&M. Nothing about Jackson or Fields.

All I'm saying is why the sleight? It had to be on purpose. We Cards are new to the ACC. This is year three. You would think the ACC would like to see the Cards rather large fanbase be rewarded with more than 5 minutes of negative coverage. ESPN obviously doesn't agree.

Need some Top 25 wins, this hasn't happened much since the Sugar Bowl. This is the year to change that.

A homer fan? Seriously? How about just a fan. How about a fan who wants to see his team talked about on a show previewing the ACC? If I were a Syracuse fan I wouldn't have expected much. If I was a Wake Forest fan I would have not even watched. But a Louisville fan?

ESPN didn't have enough time to talk about the 19th ranked team? No time to show the Cards schedule and talk about the chances to beat FSU and Clemson? No talk about why there's any hype at all? How the Cards have more starters returning than any other ranked team? Nothing about winning 8 out of their last 9 games including the bowl win over Texas A&M? Nothing about 1st team All-America Devonta Fields or the sophomore breakout star Lamar Jackson?

I'm sorry but there is no reason to ignore all of that in a 60 minute show. They talked more about teams with none of that. So if I'm a homer fan for expecting more than 5 minutes at the end of the show, then there's a lot of homer Cards fans. It was a preview show and they did not preview the Louisville Cardinals.

I think you have a valid point, OP. I suspect it has more to do with ESPN incompetence than an anti-UL agenda. ESPN's quality went into the toilet over a decade ago, so I'm never surprised when they do something stupid. What happened made them look like poor analysts more than it hurt UofL.

I agree with the OP. We're not only the 19th ranked team in the country but number 3 in our conference. Having said that I no longer watch ESPN unless it involves UL coverage of a game and it's not on another network. I do believe there's an issue with the relationship between UL and ESPN and not sure what it is.

We have to beat the big boys - close ain't gonna get it! Then consistently beat them and we'll be accepted.

I agree with the OP. We're not only the 19th ranked team in the country but number 3 in our conference. Having said that I no longer watch ESPN unless it involves UL coverage of a game and it's not on another network. I do believe there's an issue with the relationship between UL and ESPN and not sure what it is.

I do not watch espin unless louisville is on. They have a serious bias against Louisville. Even when a louisville game is on they talk about everything but us!!!

Draw the Bridge" It's time for WAR!"

I thought Elvis left the building!o_O:p:confused:;)

Darn it G-Man.....leave the King alone and let him RIP.:) I kid....I kid.

How are things going with you and the Fam?

Family couldn't be doing better, Mayo. Most anticipated UofL FB season with highest expectations since '13, '06,'05. Need to start strong. 2nd thru 5th Game Stretch will probably tell the tale. All our trips are full except for two spaces to Virginia. When you get in town again, call and we'll have a beer or two.

Reactions: Mayoman
EDIT: Add UNC to the list of schools that got more coverage than we did.

I could be wrong (actually I'm not) but UNC won its division and 11 or 12 games last year. We went 8-5 and weren't all that impressive. Not everyone is as bullish on UL as some of you are---we haven't proved jack yet. Some of you sound like UK fans. . .exactly like them.

A homer fan? Seriously? How about just a fan. How about a fan who wants to see his team talked about on a show previewing the ACC? If I were a Syracuse fan I wouldn't have expected much. If I was a Wake Forest fan I would have not even watched. But a Louisville fan?

ESPN didn't have enough time to talk about the 19th ranked team? No time to show the Cards schedule and talk about the chances to beat FSU and Clemson? No talk about why there's any hype at all? How the Cards have more starters returning than any other ranked team? Nothing about winning 8 out of their last 9 games including the bowl win over Texas A&M? Nothing about 1st team All-America Devonta Fields or the sophomore breakout star Lamar Jackson?

I'm sorry but there is no reason to ignore all of that in a 60 minute show. They talked more about teams with none of that. So if I'm a homer fan for expecting more than 5 minutes at the end of the show, then there's a lot of homer Cards fans. It was a preview show and they did not preview the Louisville Cardinals.

Good grief you're awful! You give the rubes over at Cats Illustrated a real run for the money.

Good grief you're awful! You give the rubes over at Cats Illustrated a real run for the money.
I was wondering when you were going to respond. I hope some day we meet, maybe at the Charlotte game? I will like to see you call me a homer then. If anybody is awful it's you masquerading as some authority on fandom.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Family couldn't be doing better, Mayo. Most anticipated UofL FB season with highest expectations since '13, '06,'05. Need to start strong. 2nd thru 5th Game Stretch will probably tell the tale. All our trips are full except for two spaces to Virginia. When you get in town again, call and we'll have a beer or two.

Sounds like a plan. I still have your ph # if it has not changed.

Original poster was complaining that there hasn't been a prime time home Saturday night game. I explained why. The biggest draws were both played on Thursday (still prime time). Week one is kinda strange for television. With made for TV games going on Saturday. Most casual football fans are watching (bama/unc, lsu Wisconsin, and so forth. No one is watching casual games. Network is putting games they think are competive on tv. (Colorado state, U.K./ southern miss) holding to get a stray viewer to flip over during halftime or at end of game to watch the finish. Uofl choose to play on Thursday. Not for a tv deal on the opener. With a cakewalk game (all over country lots of teams play them week one) no one outside of uofl is going to watch that game no matter what time it is played. Charlotte probably don't even know it has a d1 football team yet.

I hope some day we meet, maybe at the Charlotte game? I will like to see you call me a homer then.

Oh that's cute. Mods please ban for his not so veiled threats. Nevertheless, do I need to go around to all 50,000 fans and ask them if they're "TheRealVille" so we can "meet." You are so flipping goofy. And a total UK-esque fanboy.

Oh that's cute. Mods please ban for his not so veiled threats. Nevertheless, do I need to go around to all 50,000 fans and ask them if they're "TheRealVille" so we can "meet." You are so flipping goofy. And a total UK-esque fanboy.
There you go again wanting to ban me. I didn't threaten you at all. I simply said I would like to see you call me names in my presence. I don't think you would. I have met people here on this board before at games. All in a good way talking about the Cards. It was good. I think however it wouldn't be that hard to pinpoint someone like you out with that awesome personality of yours. It's one thing to disagree with a post but there's no need to constantly trying to belittle someone's point a view. I never asked for your opinion or your permission. I think once the season progresses we won't be seeing much of your "legitimate " fandom opinions.

There you go again wanting to ban me. I didn't threaten you at all. I simply said I would like to see you call me names in my presence. I don't think you would. I have met people here on this board before at games. All in a good way talking about the Cards. It was good. I think however it wouldn't be that hard to pinpoint someone like you out with that awesome personality of yours. It's one thing to disagree with a post but there's no need to constantly trying to belittle someone's point a view. I never asked for your opinion or your permission. I think once the season progresses we won't be seeing much of your "legitimate " fandom opinions.

I sure would say it in your presence. Why wouldn't I? your points of view (winning every game by 30+, etc) ARE ridiculous. So was this one

I'm on board with the ignore Jay the know all how to be a fan expert. So not a lot to gain responding to my "awful" posts bud. Stick your nose someplace else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT