ADVERTISEMENT

Sirmon needs to be gone, TONIGHT!

Granthams defense gave up 42 to Clemson last year.
Sirmons defense gave up 40.

Granthams defense couldnt get key stops, like when UofL was up by 8 at Clemson.

His 'd' couldnt get duke off the field.
The Houston debacle.
41 to SuCkS........SuCkS !!
He had 3 years. He had to go .
Fields didnt even get drafted......

He had to go and im glad he is gone.
By that analysis, Sirmon's not any better. So how is playing roulette with the D-coordinator position gonna fix the problem THIS time?

I'm not confident Petrino knows that for sure, and I have less confidence that fans know. I'm afraid we're gonna have to dance with this girl awhile...

Reactions: CardsFirst
Grantham had 3 years.

No lockdown defense.

There was a reason Georgia, then Petrino wanted him gone.

You change coaches until you get it right.

And before I'd judge the defense, I at least wanna see it playing alongside of a more effective offense than what was on display tonite. A team converting on 2-of-14 3rd down plays is NOT a team helping its defense...

You don't understand what I'm saying... A "situation" is not a game or opportunity like playing Clemson. It's a problem that needs fixing like a poor defense.

And you don't know that Sirmon's a problem today anymore than you knew Grantham was a problem a year ago. You just know you're unhappy.

Only an idiot keeps making the same mistake repeatedly...

All I know is that it may be ugly in Tallahassee. And if they're around (which they will be) next year vs Bama. Good Lord. I know the team's young but what Im so upset about is that I saw nothing from tonight that gave me hope and positivity. I cant pick out anything good from this game. This whole situation would be WAY different if it was a close loss, or low scoring. I realize that he needs time, but I personally dont think UofL was in their right mind to hire an unproven DC. This program is/was on the rise and I think it was a bad move to hire someone at such a huge risk. It definitely didnt pay off tonight.

...I realize that he needs time, but I personally dont think UofL was in their right mind to hire an unproven DC. This program is/was on the rise and I think it was a bad move to hire someone at such a huge risk...
Even if I agree with you, why would I be confident that the same people and the same process could go out and recruit a good D-coordinator this time around? What's changed??...

Reactions: cardinalrod
For all those Grantham haters, what did Miss St do to LSU tonight. One of the announcers said that Grantham defense was make or break. He said one team's band was going g to be playing. Well hell, I take that over never rushing the passer and giving 10 yard cushions all night. Hell bring back Lance Bedford at least you know Lance would have our defense flying around hitting people and rushing the passer.

I think petrino has too much confidence in his job security. Ever since Houston, he's been coaching like the 2005 usf game -- just a very sloppy, soft looking team. I don't get it.

The Houston debacle.

By that analysis, Sirmon's not any better. So how is playing roulette with the D-coordinator position gonna fix the problem THIS time?

I'm not confident Petrino knows that for sure, and I have less confidence that fans know. I'm afraid we're gonna have to dance with this girl awhile...
Who said Sirmon's better but people need to stop defending Grantham he certainly isn't the answer. Although I think with Grantham it' was scheme and with Sirmon it's poor coaching/technique. Bobby needs to find a good DC problem is I'm not sure he can.

That's the problem. This was the ONLY good home game this season. The other home games are against 2 garbage cans for the next 2 weeks, then low tier ACC teams. No fun. Also, we dont need Grantham or Sirmon. We need a proven HC and DC.
You don't understand what I'm saying... A "situation" is not a game or opportunity like playing Clemson. It's a problem that needs fixing like a poor defense.

And you don't know that Sirmon's a problem today anymore than you knew Grantham was a problem a year ago. You just know you're unhappy.

Only an idiot keeps making the same mistake repeatedly...
Well I can say this 1. We can't tackle and that's coaching 2) At times many times our D lined up and looked confused that's also coaching so yes that goes back to Sirmon. 3) Lack of flying to the ball was either confusion or motivation ... once again coaching. I could go on, but you get my point. All on Sirmon.

I had a feeling in the first qtr that our defense will be totally gassed by the second half the way our offense kept going 3 and out. I was right.

The Houston debacle.

47 to be exact - at home and to a clemson team without watson, gallman or williams. Defense was not the reason UofL lost last year and I'd say comparatively speaking - last night's performance was significantly worse by Sirmon.

We won the Duke game as I recall, got destroyed in all phases against Houston, turnovers were the difference against the yuts. The fields didn't get drafted comment is just silly.

We obviously disagree on Grantham's ability and results while at UofL. What is the larger question, and one I think we all agree on, is that nothing in Sirmon's career would have ever suggested that he would be even be as good - much less better - than Grantham.

I liked Bedford but, he was competing against the BE & AAC while here - he got rolled when he moved to the B12. Not sure he'd be the answer for us in the ACC.

The Houston debacle.

47 to be exact - at home and to a clemson team without watson, gallman or williams. Defense was not the reason UofL lost last year and I'd say comparatively speaking - last night's performance was significantly worse by Sirmon.

We won the Duke game as I recall, got destroyed in all phases against Houston, turnovers were the difference against the yuts. The fields didn't get drafted comment is just silly.

We obviously disagree on Grantham's ability and results while at UofL. What is the larger question, and one I think we all agree on, is that nothing in Sirmon's career would have ever suggested that he would be even be as good - much less better - than Grantham.

I liked Bedford but, he was competing against the BE & AAC while here - he got rolled when he moved to the B12. Not sure he'd be the answer for us in the ACC.
This I can 100% agree with. I got the same feeling when I heard we hired Sirmon as I did Ron Cooper and Kragthorpe. Also when Charlie brought on Watkins. Felt they either didn't have the experience or good history.

I am feeling the same way I did at the end of last season.

I can't believe what I'm seeing.

I did think LJ was progressing as a QB. But now I wonder if he's regressed as a "play maker" against legit teams because of CBPs demands.

Our collapse last year, put me in what I thought was self preservation mode. But last night just added Fuel to my don't-give-a-$#!t meter.

I've been around here a long time and I've seen UL teams with a lot less talent give a lot better effort.

CBP is in a different pond now. He's never been anywhere long enough for other coachs to figure him out.

Well, it seems they have now.

Guess we're gonna be the first to know if he's as good as we always thought he was. Or if we end up hoping he walks out on us again.

Reactions: cardinalrod
I think Petrino's ego has misled him to believe he can win with just about any defense given his offensive game plans.

There's a real lack of self awareness going on in Bobby's head.

At this level, a bend but don't break D is not going to cut it. The top teams will break the D. The middling and below avg teams (UNC, Purdue) may come up just short.

You can win 7 to 8 games with that type of D. But that isn't the program's goals.

I am feeling the same way I did at the end of last season.

I can't believe what I'm seeing.

I did think LJ was progressing as a QB. But now I wonder if he's regressed as a "play maker" against legit teams because of CBPs demands.

Our collapse last year, put me in what I thought was self preservation mode. But last night just added Fuel to my don't-give-a-$#!t meter.

I've been around here a long time and I've seen UL teams with a lot less talent give a lot better effort.

CBP is in a different pond now. He's never been anywhere long enough for other coachs to figure him out.

Well, it seems they have now.

Guess we're gonna be the first to know if he's as good as we always thought he was. Or if we end up hoping he walks out on us again.
I truly believe last night isn't an indictment on LJ as much as on the OL. It collapsed and couldn't hold up against the great Clemson DL. The WR were covered up most of the time and when they weren't LJ was running for his life. We are playing two freshman so that wasn't shocking. Play calling sucked. But I keep going back to the D just horrible.

Wrong.

Lamar threw a pick six.

Last year UofL got down 28-10, and after the 26-0 to nothing run, couldnt hold off Clemson after getting an 8 point lead. Defense gave up 14 points the last 7 minutes. Yes one was a short field, but it has to be done.

If Grantham was as good, he'd be in Miami with Richt, not fired by two succesive coaches.

I know Sirmon isnt as good and wont be here long barring a complete 180. When your defense is lax you have to outscore them. The offense and defense SuCked last nite. Grantham would have made no difference.

Last edited:
Wrong.

Lamar threw a pick six.

Last year UofL got down 28-10, and after the 26-0 to nothing run, couldnt hold off Clemson after getting an 8 point lead. Defense gave up 14 points the last 7 minutes. Yes one was a short field, but it has to be done.

If Grantham was as good, he'd be in Miami with Richt, not fired by two succesive coaches.

I know Sirmon isnt as good and wont be long barring a complete 180. When your defense is lax you have to outscore them. The offense and defense SuCked last nite. Grantham would have made no difference.
I stand corrected - 40.

Though he wasn't fired - Richt did throw Grantham under the bus to buy himself time - happens all the time, as it did with Charlie strong and Vance Bedford at Texas. Grantham wasn't fired here either.

I'm not sure how you're making your point that Grantham is no good because he took the job at UofL and therefore wasn't around to go to Miami with richt when Georgia canned him.

Though I didn't want grantham gone - he is and I'm not here to re-litigate that. I simply wish Petrino would have been able to get someone with a better track record than sirmon.

I stand corrected - 40.

Though he wasn't fired - Richt did throw Grantham under the bus to buy himself time - happens all the time, as it did with Charlie strong and Vance Bedford at Texas. Grantham wasn't fired here either.

I'm not sure how you're making your point that Grantham is no good because he took the job at UofL and therefore wasn't around to go to Miami with richt when Georgia canned him.

Though I didn't want grantham gone - he is and I'm not here to re-litigate that. I simply wish Petrino would have been able to get someone with a better track record than sirmon.

I agree wholehartedly with your last paragraph.

Also Grantham and Bobby repeatedly clashed and it came to a head.
One of them had to go.

I agree wholehartedly with your last paragraph.

Also Grantham and Bobby repeatedly clashed and it came to a head.
One of them had to go.
Agreed. That seems to be the history with grantham and sadly - Petrino. At some point though, it'll be Petrino that is shown the door.

I never disliked Grantham. I don't see why do many louisville fans "hated" or even disliked Grantham. I enjoyed his aggressive defense. Just if he would dial it back some of the time on third down and not give up the first down every time. Besides that I deff loved the intensity he brought and the way our defense would fly around to the ball. We are a joke on defense and that was able to be seen in the first two weeks. I give us a pass against Purdue cause it's Jeff Brohm and he knew what he was doing but giving up 35 to UNC and being down in the 4th was the writing on the wall. I WISH WE WOULD SEE CBP SCREAMING IN SIRMONS FACE THE WAY HE DESERVES IT CAUSE HE IS KILLING OUR TEAM. He never should of been hired EVER AT ALL. WE HATE YOUR STYLE OF PLAY PETER SIRMON!!!!- every louisville football fan

The Grantham hate came from the fact he over complicated the defense, he and Bobby clashed, and he cheated (Wakeyleaks,) which led to his demise here. Regarding Sirmon, man, it's extremely hard to suck so bad at your job. Yet, there he is. And, Petrino, it can't be said enough- he's not the same. 2.0 isn't a failure. Far from it. But not even remotely close to a success. It's like we are at an impasse. Just have to be patient until situation works itself out. Could take years.

I addressed this more in a different thread but, unless things change, I think Sirmon is doing the best he can. He's not a great defensive mind. I'm not going to get angry at an average guy doing an average job in a very difficult division. This is all Bobby and to some degree Tom. I think Bobby was brought back as it was a relatively safe option considering the alternatives at the time (or at least one where the risks could be offset). We needed stability at the helm as we moved into the ACC, not a coach that would blow the doors off for 2-3 years then jump ship again.

Bobby has been exactly that without any of the upside (nor downside to his credit). We are an 8-5 or 9-4 team. That's it....it's all we are ever going to be with BP. 10-3 at our best and a 6-7 at our worst but there's the range, you can write it down. Last year was the golden year, got a Heisman, but that bump bump bump we all felt at the end of last year was the ceiling. He's lost a step on offense, still can't help on the defensive side, maybe a step better on recruiting (arguable considering other factors).

The hiring of Sirmon showed clearly that he doesn't have what it takes to really DEVELOP a program on the long term (see Dabo/Jimbo).

So where does that leave you and I? Take what we got as we don't make the calls

The question really is where does that leave TJ? I don't see BP 2.0 leaving ever. So for Tom it's being willing to risk stability of moving past BP to really get in a talent that could take us up to the next level. You get someone like a "Les Miles" type coach (consistently putting in 10/11 win seasons with some 12's or more sprinkled in) here...they'd have a job forever. We can afford to write the check to get that level talent as well (and all the trappings that come with it). It's a risk though....and why he gets paid the big bucks to make the call.

Reactions: Deeva
If you were a "fire Grantham" guy, you have nothing to say today because you got what you wanted. Credit to those who admit being in that crowd now because no one was likely keeping track.

And if you didn't want Grantham gone--like me--you and I probably didn't speak loudly enough on his behalf BEFORE he was canned. So we can't talk much either.

Truth be told, most fans don't know what the solution is to a problem like this. We don't know that a change in coaches is needed, we just know we're unhappy. Unfortunately, that doesn't help a lot. The best you can do is have a good memory the NEXT time a similar situation rolls around...
I don't remember CBP asking me whether I wanted Grantham gone..

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I don't remember CBP asking me whether I wanted Grantham gone..
Nobody here asked for your opinion about him either if you offered one. If you did and it was to his detriment, you have zero to say about his replacement after three games...

I woke up still in anger as the coaches have continously regressed. I didnt think a program was supposed to go backwards, but it appears as if the program I root for is the one of the few taking a step back every game since Houston of last year.

I woke up still in anger as the coaches have continously regressed. I didnt think a program was supposed to go backwards, but it appears as if the program I root for is the one of the few taking a step back every game since Houston of last year.

Why be angry? We hit the ceiling with this group of coaches. Anger isn't going to change that. Routinely getting multiple All-American finalists/awards on a yearly basis and finish in the upper tier of the ACC (some will be fine with that, others not so much). If you want more let the administration know and vote with your wallet.

And before I'd judge the defense, I at least wanna see it playing alongside of a more effective offense than what was on display tonite. A team converting on 2-of-14 3rd down plays is NOT a team helping its defense...
Well this offense went against perhaps the best defense in the country. And Lamar picked the worst time to be not so good . I was at the game and his throws were off badly and to dam hard with no touch. He was very amped up for some reason. made some dumb reads on runs etc.

Why be angry? We hit the ceiling with this group of coaches. Anger isn't going to change that. Routinely getting multiple All-American finalists/awards on a yearly basis and finish in the upper tier of the ACC (some will be fine with that, others not so much). If you want more let the administration know and vote with your wallet.

It's more or less upsetting knowing that our administration is okay with this ceiling. It's not that this ceiling is bad, it's just a "Why stop here?" Kind of question. Yeah beat the scrubs, lose to good teams, go 9-3, 9-4. Win single player awards. Rinse and repeat.

It's not bad, just there's so much more we can achieve.

Bobby has never had a great defense. He could out score the other teams most of the time. That works in CUSA and the Big East but not so much in P5 conferences.

It's more or less upsetting knowing that our administration is okay with this ceiling. It's not that this ceiling is bad, it's just a "Why stop here?" Kind of question. Yeah beat the scrubs, lose to good teams, go 9-3, 9-4. Win single player awards. Rinse and repeat.

It's not bad, just there's so much more we can achieve.
Who said anything about anyone at U of L being "happy"?? o_O

Who said anything about anyone at U of L being "happy"?? o_O

I don't think many/any that are truly "happy" post here. We're a far more involved and (I would hazard) demanding slice of the fan spectra (compared to the average fan). You know what the happy do though? Fill seats and make donations. I'm not seeing the university having any trouble in that department.
When that begins to change....then the chance TJ beings to become willing to take a risk starts to become more real.

Now that we lost to Clemson and FSU ON the horizon...the only game I'm really looking at is UK. if we lose that one...Petrino has got to go. Revamp the Staff and rebuild the program. After the "Year of the Cardinal", UofL hasn't shown much. Its going to be a long season and they will get their wins against lower competition. I say they will be 8 -5 this year (including a loss to UK.

Charlie Strong's guys are now gone, each year the D has gotten weaker because more of his guys are graduating. RECRUITING HAS TO GET BETTER no matter who the coordinator is.

Need better players plain and simple if you want to be like the big dogs . Follow Clemsons blueprint they didn't get their on the back of one great player. It has taken them years they have recruited better and better each year . In college football you have to recruit the elite players especially on the OL and DL. Unfortunately Louisville is not the the state of SC producing large amounts of these type homegrown talent, so we are at a disadvantage wehn it comes to attracting the best also. But the coach comes into play with that Charlie could recruit these type players albeit he lacked offensive competency.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
I agree it starts with recruiting but it also involves developing the talent you have. We don't seem to have much of a problem developing the offensive talent regardless of their rating.

Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT