ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

His ESPN rant to the commitee . He freaking gets on my nerves as if the NCAA is after make the road so hard for his team.

I thought he'd drop the conspiracy theories...oh well.Maybe he shouldn't have popped off before the actual seeding and whatnot.

Hes guranteed two wins hell IU will get upset right off the bat can't trust them watch and see. And their first game is against a team off Hurstbourne pkwy.

Reactions: Cal4Pres.
How do you justify ranking team A who beat team B pretty much by a lame technical and then lost to team B in the conf. tourney? That was his point. They can argue top 50 wins and all that. But it's BS. Kentucky should have been a 3 seed and A&M a 4

Reactions: CatPhight
Yeah, if he has a beef it should be with the SEC not the NCAA. Having their conference championship end about 3 hours before selections are made kind of restricts any last minute overhauls.

I think UK being a 3 or a 4 is justified... but I find it hard to put A&M above UK.

However, I'm sure their seeds were locked long before tip off, as will commonly happen with the SEC since they play their final on Sunday.
Probably so.

I know what Calipari is doing with the public antics though. He's using this as a "It's us against the world" angle in order to get his team fired up to play. It's just coach fodder and easy to see thru. In the end it doesn't matter who you play or when. If you're going to win the tourney, you have to win 6 games. That's what his kids need to understand and roll with. Hell, they made the championship game as an 8 seed not long ago. That's all Calipari has to point to. I'm not 100% in agreement with him whining about his teams seed to the press. Then again, there is very little I agree with when it comes to John Calipari. I don't like him. I never have.

I think UK being a 3 or a 4 is justified... but I find it hard to put A&M above UK.

However, I'm sure their seeds were locked long before tip off, as will commonly happen with the SEC since they play their final on Sunday.

I agree with that leaning more towards the 3, and your on point with A&M, I think that was what ticked Cal off but who knows.

But your right about the SEC tourney it should be moved up, but the committee should have just flip flopped both teams and it's ALMOST problem solved, aside from trying to get close to team location and game site

Yeah, that interview was plain weird. Boeheim and Wright both joked about it, couldn't tell if they actually dislike Cal or were having fun with it.

I have no issue with the 4 seed. I actually think Texas A&M is a legit team and giving them a 3 probably isn't too big a stretch, but to give them a 3 in an inferior region when we just beat them and outrank them by every metric seems a little odd. At the end of the day, you have to beat 3 really good teams to get to a Final Four. UK will either rise to the occasion or they won't. I'll live or die with Ulis and Murray and hope the frontcourt by committee can play the other frouncourts to a draw. They do that, and I like our chances.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
The point he was pushing was there needs to be a clear defined path towards seeding. Else, stop and really think what is going on here. Each year it changes. And that can easily lead to corruption/agendas. I give him credit for saying something. I believe even Denny was critical of the process decades ago.

The point he was pushing was there needs to be a clear defined path towards seeding. Else, stop and really think what is going on here. Each year it changes. And that can easily lead to corruption/agendas. I give him credit for saying something. I believe even Denny was critical of the process decades ago.
Since when has that slapdick ever cared about corruption surrounding college basketball? His AAU connections are as corrupt as they come. I don't see him whining about getting 5 or 6 five star recruits each year from his insider AAU connections AKA William Wesley.

Is there an issue with how teams are picked and seeded? Yeah, probably so but the LAST slapdick that needs to be crying about it is John Calipari.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
You can't complain about seeding while playing in a power conference that only gets 3 teams in the tournament. Seeding is and has always been about overall. Only time conference championships matter is if you are a borderline team for a 4/3 and move up. Committee basically said, winning the weak SEC Conference tournament and not in grand fashion did not change their seeding. They were a 4 no matter what.

Get mad about it all they want, but terrible conference and one quality wins, and losses to non tournament teams hurt UK.

How do you justify ranking team A who beat team B pretty much by a lame technical and then lost to team B in the conf. tourney? That was his point. They can argue top 50 wins and all that. But it's BS. Kentucky should have been a 3 seed and A&M a 4
Don't forget that your win yesterday was in OT. Dead even after 40 minutes--that game could have gone either way.
You can't complain about seeding while playing in a power conference that only gets 3 teams in the tournament...Get mad about it all they want, but terrible conference and one quality wins, and losses to non tournament teams hurt UK.
These are the salient points... Both teams are probably over-seeded. And LPT lost way too many games to teams NOT in the tourney to have a legit b!tch about anything. Pitino Lite was the man behind that. Spotty play during the regular season will be his legacy at LPT.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Since when has that slapdick ever cared about corruption surrounding college basketball? His AAU connections are as corrupt as they come. I don't see him whining about getting 5 or 6 five star recruits each year from his insider AAU connections AKA William Wesley.

Is there an issue with how teams are picked and seeded? Yeah, probably so but the LAST slapdick that needs to be crying about it is John Calipari.

I disagree. As a fan, you should want the best possible product. And if that means siding with Cal from time to time...he does have a point this time. When the goal post change from year to year and not disclosed until the after the fact... what are you really watching?

Boxing was once the NFL of it's day. There's only one reason why it doesn't exists today with the same popularity. If they run with the idea that fans will put up and pay for whatever, they're wrong.

Last edited:
I disagree. As a fan, you should want the best possible product. And if that means siding with Cal from time to time...he does have a point this time. When the goal post change from year to year and not disclosed until the after the fact... what are you really watching?

Right now the top priority of the NCAA seems to be whether or not strippers made an impact on the game at the University of Louisville. They're not worried about the selection committee's impact on the game...which is far greater than strippers. They're not worried about the refs impact on the game...which is the only thing that matters on any given night. You won't see an ESPN outside the lines on it! They seem to be OK with the goal post moving in those areas. Same with recruiting as you mentioned. Why are they OK with it? Why do they always seem to be focused on the wrong areas when it comes to really protecting the game?

Boxing was once the NFL of it's day. There's only one reason why it doesn't exists today with the same popularity. If they run with the fact that fans will put up and pay for whatever, they're wrong.
I think we actually agree, and while Calipari has a valid point, he's being a hypocrite since he's part of the problem in the first place when it comes to playing the corrupt system in place. I know the goal post moves from year to year regarding this NCAA tourney. It's been going on for decades now. One year the most important criteria will be conference play or how well you finished in the last 10 games, or RPI, or Strength of Schedule or, well, you get the point. It is frustrating to all but it's still my humble opinion the last person who should be fired up about it is John freaking Calipari.

I think we actually agree, and while Calipari has a valid point, he's being a hypocrite since he's part of the problem in the first place when it comes to playing the corrupt system in place. I know the goal post moves from year to year regarding this NCAA tourney. It's been going on for decades now. One year the most important criteria will be conference play or how well you finished in the last 10 games, or RPI, or Strength of Schedule or, well, you get the point. It is frustrating to all but it's still my humble opinion the last person who should be fired up about it is John freaking Calipari.

See. You only perceive him as corrupt. According to the NCAA and ESPN...he's golden. What? Cal is corrupt and refs aren't? He's clever enough to use a loophole in the system that exist for him to manipulate. They could change it...but don't want to. Does it give him an advantage over other teams in every possible category that matters?...Yep. And they (system) seem to be OK with that. So what are you really watching? True competition?

What loophole does UK have that no one else has?
It appears to be a loophole if your best buddy happens to be Nike's right hand man. Or often presented as the most powerful man in basketball, who just so happens to have an interest in where kids go to school.

BY comparison, Katina Powell is not the most powerful p***y in the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card
See. You only perceive him as corrupt. According to the NCAA and ESPN...he's golden. What? Cal is corrupt and refs aren't? He's clever enough to use a loophole in the system that exist for him to manipulate. They could change it...but don't want to. Does it give him an advantage over other teams in every possible category that matters?...Yep. And they (system) seem to be OK with that. So what are you really watching? True competition?
I believe my perceptions to be accurate. The NCAA is inept and as corrupt, while ESPN has a product to protect and hype. Do any of us really believe the NCAA gives two flips about college kids having sex? Even from prostitutes? I'm sure they are all just morally outraged! LOL!! All of them are a bunch of damn hypocrites who if the truth were actually told, have done something in their own lives just as morally corrupt if not more so.

JMO

That's your opinion, but it's no loophole.

Calipari whether you like him or not has mastered the one and done. He not only gets many of the best players, but he also gets them to buy into the team.
Plus they get tons of publicity by being on national TV every game, and generally make a deep run in the tourney.

I wish kids would stay 4 years like years past, nothing would be more fun to me than watching a back court of Ulis and Murray for 2 more years, but they don't. At least the top talent doesn't any longer for the most part.

If your idea of a good college basketball program is a revolving door of one year players, maybe you too should take up Lacrosse.

The entire rest of the country is repulsed - not jealous - by UK,

You can't complain about seeding while playing in a power conference that only gets 3 teams in the tournament. Seeding is and has always been about overall. Only time conference championships matter is if you are a borderline team for a 4/3 and move up. Committee basically said, winning the weak SEC Conference tournament and not in grand fashion did not change their seeding. They were a 4 no matter what.

Get mad about it all they want, but terrible conference and one quality wins, and losses to non tournament teams hurt UK.

I agree. Uk had a couple of good wins but some TERRIBLE losses to some very bad teams. That's what hurt them so much. I think a 4 seed was justified for Uk in this case. UofL got a 4 seed for winning the AAC and AAC tourney a few years ago and that was mostly due to it not being a great conference.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
If your idea of a good college basketball program is a revolving door of one year players, maybe you too should take up Lacrosse.

The entire rest of the country is repulsed - not jealous - by UK,

Why would they be repulsed? 95% of college players would go early if they thought they could get an NBA contract. If you want to be repulsed at something make it the NBA general managers who waste draft picks on kids that aren't mature enough to be in the NBA.

Ben Simmons is not ready maturity wise to go, he didn't play defense, can't shoot outside 10 feet, and flat out quit on his team. Yet he'll be the top draft pick.
Skal isn't ready either, by a long shot, but he'll go and get drafted. He can't play against teams that have big low post men, yet some NBA team is going to waste a pick on him, and in 5 years he MAY be a starter, for another team.

I agree. Some fans praise having one-and dones, but having those kids stay 3-4 years would benefit the program more.

Fans praise having the best players, but they aren't staying 4 years anymore.
VJ King may come in next year and light the world on fire, if he leaves early would Cardinal fans not root for him and be excited he played for UofL?

Love Cal or hate Cal........if his rants get someone thinking and maybe some results similar to what he suggested, then every team benefits. At least Cal has the "balls" to call them out. (the committee) that is. He did get a lot of support and respect from the media.

I really don't care anything Cal says, but the issue with Ky being a four seed and A&M being a three has been explained to death today. The committee went very heavy this year on the top 50 records. Ky had three wins to A&M's five wins. All teams were in the same boat, deal with it! Michigan and Tulsa based on these same rules should not be playing period.

Love Cal or hate Cal........if his rants get someone thinking and maybe some results similar to what he suggested, then every team benefits. At least Cal has the "balls" to call them out. (the committee) that is. He did get a lot of support and respect from the media.
Yes, it was his "ballsiest" moment since he called out Damion Lee last week for getting Bruiser Flint fired. Is there anything that doesn't lead to a cow rant? o_O

Reactions: earsky
There's alot of coaches that don't like seniors transferring, and not having to sit.

Their line of thinking of is the coach put his neck on the line to recruit a kid. Developed this kid for 3-4 years, and then when he is likely to be at his absolute best as a college player he goes to another school. Not to mention it lends to coaches recruiting players that are playing at another College.

Fans praise having the best players, but they aren't staying 4 years anymore.
VJ King may come in next year and light the world on fire, if he leaves early would Cardinal fans not root for him and be excited he played for UofL?
That's not the point at all, lol. The ugliness surrounding UK recruiting has always been a moot issue among their fans, lol. From Boosters laying on the cash during the Rupp era in a tacit "deal" - not worth arguing that it "may not have happened", lol - to Tark's complaints about Bowie owning a new Caddy and his own fun pad (motel room) for 2 years - to Emery shipping - to the newest coven of cheaters featuring WWWes and CAA - so much slimy behavior has occurred that you all are non plused about this newer wrinkle in funneling one year non-students through Lexington to enjoy your young blonds and leave............. The imbalance in recruiting has featured UK and no one else until Dook got into the market 2 years ago.

Blessed ignorance accompanies UK fan comments on the issue and it is a willful need to win at all costs.

It's not really just off-putting. It's deplorable. In fact, I'm surprised I had to type that.

Reactions: OmegaCard
There's alot of coaches that don't like seniors transferring, and not having to sit.

Their line of thinking of is the coach put his neck on the line to recruit a kid. Developed this kid for 3-4 years, and then when he is likely to be at his absolute best as a college player he goes to another school. Not to mention it lends to coaches recruiting players that are playing at another College.
I'm sure you're right Bill - there probably are a lot of coaches who don't like seniors transferring. But, I bet that there are even more seniors (and juniors, sophomores and heck even freshmen) who don't like their coaches leaving the program for another / better job.

I guess their line of thinking is that they put their faith in a guy and decided to go play for him and his program / system. They did everything that they were asked (otherwise they would have most likely lost their year to year scholly) and when it comes time for them to shine as upperclassmen, the coach goes to another school. In fact, I imagine that there were 10 or so Memphis players that felt this exact way when calipari decided to leave for a better job with uk.

So explain to me how is it different? Senior transfers are simply leaving for a better situation / job - just like calipari did. While you're at it, tell me how calipari complaining about it (and everything else FFS) doesn't make him a self serving hypocrite?

Reactions: OmegaCard
There are an average of 400 transfers a year in Division 1 basketball. Please tell us those which were made "correctly" and which suit the coach's needs.

Then maybe we can address the fact that so many 5th year transfers are available because they were forced to redshirt as freshmen. How many of them really wanted to redshirt and how many did so under the coach's orders? How many were voluntary?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT