ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

I'm sure you're right Bill - there probably are a lot of coaches who don't like seniors transferring. But, I bet that there are even more seniors (and juniors, sophomores and heck even freshmen) who don't like their coaches leaving the program for another / better job.

I guess their line of thinking is that they put their faith in a guy and decided to go play for him and his program / system. They did everything that they were asked (otherwise they would have most likely lost their year to year scholly) and when it comes time for them to shine as upperclassmen, the coach goes to another school. In fact, I imagine that there were 10 or so Memphis players that felt this exact way when calipari decided to leave for a better job with uk.

So explain to me how is it different? Senior transfers are simply leaving for a better situation / job - just like calipari did. While you're at it, tell me how calipari complaining about it (and everything else FFS) doesn't make him a self serving hypocrite?

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't see how it makes Calipari a hypocrit.

I think what most coaches have a problem with is they feel coaches are recruiting their players while they're still at the school.

Reactions: blubo
Look, Calipari and now K has figured out how to get Freshman destined for the NBA to buy into the team concept, and play defense. It's not as easy as those 2 make it appear, and starting next year Izzo is also going that route as well.

At UK they also get notoriety, which leads to bigger endorsement deals.

Where is the proof for this coven of cheaters? You might ought to look around before throwing those stones.
LMAO. Never mind - nothing changes, ha ha. You aren't even in a ball park we recognize. This subject is over because a UK fan decided to take it on.

You can't invent this gross public level of willful and available ignorant crap. Sorry I brought my feelings up. You win with an incredibly sophisticated argument, honed by years of never-ending questions. You have proven your inability to reason anything other than your company line - which had to have been a relief to finally succumb to.
Have a great life.

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't see how it makes Calipari a hypocrit.

I think what most coaches have a problem with is they feel coaches are recruiting their players while they're still at the school.
Really Bill? You can't see the hypocrisy in his position? That's odd because it doesn't seem to be all that nuanced. calipari is a hypocrite because he has no problem with coaches leaving for a better situation when they are able to - only players. His hypocrisy further extends to the DAO rule as a whole, as he doesn't utilize it (or really need to) it doesn't benefit him - so it is a bad rule. Never mind that he holds himself out there as being the guy who is 100% interested and committed to whatever is best for the kids' futures - that only extends to OADs because that is the system that he has exploited to his own personal gain and benefit.

It's not that you can't see it - I'm guessing you simply don't want to because it doesn't fit the overall yut narrative of what a good guy calipari is.

LMAO. Never mind - nothing changes, ha ha. You aren't even in a ball park we recognize. This subject is over because a UK fan decided to take it on.

You can't invent this gross public level of willful and available ignorant crap. Sorry I brought my feelings up. You win with an incredibly sophisticated argument, honed by years of never-ending questions. You have proven your inability to reason anything other than your company line - which had to have been a relief to finally succumb to.
Have a great life.

Where is the proof that UK is currently cheating? Where is there even a hint of anything going on?

Kids want to get to the NBA as soon as possible. Calipari and UK have shown that they can come in, get notoriety, play in big games, go deep in the tourney, and most importantly any issues with their game isn't put on full display like it did with Simmons.

Again, where is there any indication UK is cheating currently? Or has in the last 30 years.

Really Bill? You can't see the hypocrisy in his position? That's odd because it doesn't seem to be all that nuanced. calipari is a hypocrite because he has no problem with coaches leaving for a better situation when they are able to - only players. His hypocrisy further extends to the DAO rule as a whole, as he doesn't utilize it (or really need to) it doesn't benefit him - so it is a bad rule. Never mind that he holds himself out there as being the guy who is 100% interested and committed to whatever is best for the kids' futures - that only extends to OADs because that is the system that he has exploited to his own personal gain and benefit.

It's not that you can't see it - I'm guessing you simply don't want to because it doesn't fit the overall yut narrative of what a good guy calipari is.

How is he being anymore of a hypocrit than coaches who oppose one and done simply because they don't use it? He doesn't like it for the same reason other coaches don't, they feel coaches are recruiting players that are already playing for a college.

I don't see the issue with the kids transferring, but I'm also not in the coaching fraternity.

How is he being anymore of a hypocrit than coaches who oppose one and done simply because they don't use it? He doesn't like it for the same reason other coaches don't, they feel coaches are recruiting players that are already playing for a college.

I don't see the issue with the kids transferring, but I'm also not in the coaching fraternity.
Well first off, if coaches don't use the OAD because of a philosophical issue with it - then they aren't hypocrites - they are acting on their principles. I will agree that it becomes tricky to determine that scenario - in fact, yut fans for years have said that Pitino is being hypocritical with his stance on OADs - simply because they say, he has been unsuccessful in getting those types of recruits. It is interesting that they are able to spot that right off but are nose blind to calipari's BS.

Secondly, calipari would not be anymore of a hypocrite than coaches that take the same stance as he has - BUT, because others are themselves hypocritical on the subject - that in no way excuses calipari.

Lastly, graduate transfers are no longer bound to the college that they have graduated from - they are in a very real sense free agents, available to look at the college landscape to see if there is a better scenario for them to continue their studies and college playing careers or even, declare for the draft or play professionally elsewhere. In that sense, it is no more wrong for a coach of another program to "recruit" that grad student than it is for a coach to recruit a HS player who has verbally committed to a school - a practice that calipari - again hypocritically - says that he doesn't do but, is just more of his BS. In the case of Lee and Lewis they "declared" for a better program, as was their right to do so.

Well first off, if coaches don't use the OAD because of a philosophical issue with it - then they aren't hypocrites - they are acting on their principles. I will agree that it becomes tricky to determine that scenario - in fact, yut fans for years have said that Pitino is being hypocritical with his stance on OADs - simply because they say, he has been unsuccessful in getting those types of recruits. It is interesting that they are able to spot that right off but are nose blind to calipari's BS.

Mods, be gentle, I am just answering opinion with opinion and questions. Wow. Teague, Telfair, Behanan, King, Blakeney (Was he not L1C4 material here for a couple of weeks?), and Lyles just off the top of my head. Don't you think it is a bit hypocritical to convince your own fan base that you don't want OADs...when you can't get them after trying? By the way, I thought CRP could not discuss the investigation...until this morning. Has something changed? I ask this to ensure no one feels there is any hypocrisy with his previous statements. Gentlemen, please remember, by your own praise, all players and coaches for UL are L1C4...forever. What word do you think we should use to describe those who want to discard these past Gods and brothers due to them telling nothing more than their past experiences as players and recruits?

Last edited:
Just to clarify where my questions originate:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/rick-pitino-kentucky-scandal

“Well I’m going to tell them that — and it will sound a little bizarre to them — I’ve been a believer in these rules for over 30 years. As a matter of fact, people call me a little bit of a "MICROMANAGER." We’ve had the highest GPA now in three different conferences every year … we run an extremely disciplined program so there’s a tremendous contradiction of this going on. And to say it breaks my heart would be putting it mildly … if I could just get Andre McGee in a room for 10 minutes I’d say ‘why? why would you do this? What purpose did it serve? We didn’t need this to get recruits. You know we’re not Kentucky where we’re recruiting the one-and-dones. We’re recruiting the Russ Smiths of the world. He’s a two-star athlete who becomes a first team college All-American. Gorgui Dieng, starting for the Minnesota Timberwolves wasn’t ranked in the top 75 … so we have a different way we recruit and it didn’t make any sense what was going on. How these women infiltrated our program was very disturbing to me.”

Last edited:
Caliyutfan, if you want to think that RP is a hypocrite - go right ahead. I'd say he's been on enough sides of the issue to make the case that he is. At NO point did I say he wasn't - I simply pointed out calipari's hypocrisy.

Are you able to be intellectually honest with regards to calipari?

BP. Yes I can. I think both CRP and Cal tread a very thin integrity line regarding issues if it impacts their egos or agendas. I think most coaches have those same traits. Some are worse...some better.

BP, You're mixing about 3 different things together to make Calipari a hypocrit.
First of all what principles are being torn apart with one and done? The kids are going to go to college somewhere to play, should a coach not recruit them because they have talent?

I'm sorry but recruiting a kid that is ALREADY playing for a coach and has been for years is shady. If you want to say it's the same as recruiting a kid that's already committed to a team, but not signed I can see your point. Unfortunately most people won't, it happens everyday in football and no one cares.

I do think Calipari gets carried away sometimes, I think he did by challenging the committee Saturday. When he's in your corner you love him, and when he isn't you might not.

I think UK being a 3 or a 4 is justified... but I find it hard to put A&M above UK.

However, I'm sure their seeds were locked long before tip off, as will commonly happen with the SEC since they play their final on Sunday.
That's my take Ear. Post SEC tourney UK was probably a 3.

BP, You're mixing about 3 different things together to make Calipari a hypocrit.

I'm sorry but recruiting a kid that is ALREADY playing for a coach and has been for years is shady. If you want to say it's the same as recruiting a kid that's already committed to a team, but not signed I can see your point. Unfortunately most people won't, it happens everyday in football and no one cares.

Was it "shady" when Coach Calipari and UK took Coach Bill Donlon's leading scorer away from Wright State for his senior year.

Was it "shady" when Coach Calipari and UK took Coach Bill Donlon's leading scorer away from Wright State for his senior year.
It is for everyone not named John Calipari.

Remember, it's always about the kids for John Calipari so that means he was helping Mays. Everyone else who does that is taking away star players from the mid major programs. When Calipari does it, it's all about the kid.

Silly question!!

Bill, I am sure Billy Donlon would agree with you after Cal took his best player in J.Mays. Billy however kept his job because he can coach unlike Cal's clone at Drexler. Cal should worry about his own team and not speak from both sides of his mouth.

Yea it was shady, and I'm sure Mays coach was upset.
I would imagine someone asked Calipari about it is why he spoke on it, and I'm sure he used it as a jab at Pitino as those 2 like to needle each other.

3or4seed doesn't matter much. It's all about firing up his team. He does the same thing before a game when he whines about the refs, to make them ultra conscious of it. Most maddening of all is that he's successful. Jackass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT