ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Scheduling.

Schmidty what is the vibe with FLA fans and their new regime? They had a decent year last year. But, they really tailed off late in the season and it looked like Musch era again to me.

Are they nervous, or optimistic, or something else?
Florida fans are concerned not because they were awful last year but because they are getting whipped in recruiting by us. I think they know they'll contend on a yearly basis in the weak SEC East but they are concerned that they'll have a hard time catching us in the rivalry if they keep losing the majority of recruiting battles for top Florida recruits to us.
There was a really long thread on their message board about that very topic.

Florida should be concerned about the Noles going forward. The SEC is going to cycle among the 800-lb gorillas, and the SEC West has most of them now.

FSU is that animal in the ACC. While it may occasionally have competition from a school like Clemson, FSU is always going to be one of the favorites, if not THE favorite. And the ACC provides its champion access to the CFP.

Those advantages should legitimately strike fear in Florida trying to compete with FSU on equal footing...

I posted this on Warchant too but I was looking through the SEC's Non-Conference scheduling for 2016 and then compared it with the ACC's and there is no comparison. Most of the SEC teams play one semi-decent out of conference game combined with 3 cupcakes that are guaranteed wins. There are a couple of exceptions. Ole Miss plays us and Memphis. There isn't anything special about Memphis but it is better than an FCS or a 2 win FBS team or something like that. Georgia plays UNC and Georgia Tech. Everybody else schedules one hard game and that is it. And it really isn't even that. One hard game is enough. But for some of your other games schedule an East Carolina or BYU instead of Prairie View or Alabama A&M.

The ACC has a ton of high profile Non-Conference games this year and plenty of semi difficult games against decent G5 programs. I hope we get rewarded for it.
Why is it that Louisville and Florida State play all the SEC teams and just see how it comes out. Louisville plays KY and FL state plays FL but they don't play LSU, Bama TN, GA week in and week out. That is where you miss it.

Looked like the OP spelled it out fairly clearly. He's suggesting good programs should be able to handle multiple difficult out of conference games to try to secure a tough schedule.

He's claiming some programs do this, but others do not.

Well mainly I'm just trying to figure out the bashing of certain programs about their soft schedule. Take a look at Clemson's schedule, I'd say in my mind they should be the top ranked team in the country. They only have 2 teams on their schedule I'd say that are going to be hard games.

http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football-schedule

They have scheduled Troy and SC State in their OOC games, hardly impressive. But I understand they need home games to generate revenue.

Why is it that Louisville and Florida State play all the SEC teams and just see how it comes out. Louisville plays KY and FL state plays FL but they don't play LSU, Bama TN, GA week in and week out. That is where you miss it.
I'll be interested in seeing how your Vols team does against Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway because Virginia Tech was a pretty average ACC team and Tennessee was one of the better teams in the SEC East. If Virginia Tech were to beat Tennessee that would tell me a lot.

Reactions: American Male
Well mainly I'm just trying to figure out the bashing of certain programs about their soft schedule. Take a look at Clemson's schedule, I'd say in my mind they should be the top ranked team in the country. They only have 2 teams on their schedule I'd say that are going to be hard games.

http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football-schedule

They have scheduled Troy and SC State in their OOC games, hardly impressive. But I understand they need home games to generate revenue.
Are you kidding? They play at Auburn, Louisville, at FSU, South Carolina in a rivarly game, Pitt who was a 9 win team last year, Georgia Tech who is usually good but had a bad year last year. That is six challenging games.

They only have 2 teams on their schedule I'd say that are going to be hard games.

The topic is OOC scheduling.

Clemson plays @ Auburn and they host USC out of conference. That would be defined as legit out of conference scheduling, which is what this thread is supposed to be about - legit out of conference scheduling.

As for your drift of going off topic and reviewing their entire schedule and only finding 2 teams that will give them tough games, that's a pretty closed minded point of view. If you really do think that, there's no reasoning with you on any of this anyway.

Are you kidding? They play at Auburn, Louisville, at FSU, South Carolina in a rivarly game, Pitt who was a 9 win team last year, Georgia Tech who is usually good but had a bad year last year. That is six challenging games.

Exactly - he holds a ridiculous point of view.

This is the type of visiting poster we have to deal with around here.

He can't stay on topic and discuss OOC scheduling, and when he goes off topic he posts asinine points of view.

If you think your schedule is much more difficult than ours is which schools on your schedule is cupcakes and which ones are very tough games? We have UL, Florida, Bama, Georgia and UT who will be very good. I see Houston, Clemson and Fl St on your alls.
LMAO at Florida being a tough game. They will have NO defense this year. And have no O'Line to create an offense with. Their offense consist of a QB running for his life looking to throw the ball to anyone he can find and a running back who, while good, has to fight his way TO the line of scrimmage. Anyone on D that was any good went to the draft or graduated last year because they KNOW UF will be in the skids.
So that leaves Bama (very good team), Georgia (mediocrity defined--with a new coaching staff) is a maybe...and that is a stretch, and Ut???????? since when in the last DECADE????

How is an LPT fan participating with any credibility in a discussion about OOC football schedules? There is no school trying to water down its OOC schedule more than LPT. At least the games it has a choice in playing.

LPT Football: How many FCS schools are you allowed to play?...

LMAO at Florida being a tough game. They will have NO defense this year. And have no O'Line to create an offense with. Their offense consist of a QB running for his life looking to throw the ball to anyone he can find and a running back who, while good, has to fight his way TO the line of scrimmage. Anyone on D that was any good went to the draft or graduated last year because they KNOW UF will be in the skids.
So that leaves Bama (very good team), Georgia (mediocrity defined--with a new coaching staff) is a maybe...and that is a stretch, and Ut???????? since when in the last DECADE????
The last time TN played Florida State TN won the game. 1998. So FL State ??????

No they don't play Auburn and the very next week they play LSU, or GA or FL or Mississippi State or ole miss.

No they don't play Auburn and the very next week they play LSU, or GA or FL or Mississippi State or ole miss.
If you sprinkle in Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, that schedule is not any tougher than any other P5 conference. Heck, the SEC east's top teams have very mediocre schedules.

If you sprinkle in Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, that schedule is not any tougher than any other P5 conference. Heck, the SEC east's top teams have very mediocre schedules.
I disagree, TN plays FL, Bama,GA, Texas AM. That is not so easy of a schedule

Let him know that the last time Louisville played Alabama, Louisville won, and Alabama is the king of the SEC....
Hey, I Like Louisville and i'm glad Louisville beat Bama however all you guys get the whole conference i don't care. Say what you want but the SEC proves over and over to be the toughest conference.

Another reason why Alabama, for example, needs to play a tough OOC schedule... Alabama is in the SEC, but not really. What they are in is the SEC, minus Alabama. Because they can't play themselves...

How many people would say yes, if asked, "Do you think the SEC is as tough a league if you take out Alabama?" That goes for the other top tier teams around the nation. Florida State is in the ACC, but they're in the ACC minus FSU. Ohio State is in the B1G minus OSU.

That's why when Alabama schedules Ohio State, it's not those teams making a hard conference schedule even harder. They are trying to make up for their own absence as an opponent. Everyone else in their leagues looks forward to playing them as their toughest game. Who do they look to? A lesser team in-league, more than likely. They need a tough OOC more than everyone else.

Yo
Another reason why Alabama, for example, needs to play a tough OOC schedule... Alabama is in the SEC, but not really. What they are in is the SEC, minus Alabama. Because they can't play themselves...

How many people would say yes, if asked, "Do you think the SEC is as tough a league if you take out Alabama?" That goes for the other top tier teams around the nation. Florida State is in the ACC, but they're in the ACC minus FSU. Ohio State is in the B1G minus OSU.

That's why when Alabama schedules Ohio State, it's not those teams making a hard conference schedule even harder. They are trying to make up for their own absence as an opponent. Everyone else in their leagues looks forward to playing them as their toughest game. Who do they look to? A lesser team in-league, more than likely. They need a tough OOC more than everyone else.
u say all that for me to say you play KY.

You have proven many of us wrong.

We thought uk fans were the only ones who bragged about ancient history.
Hey we don't play FL State every year just like you don't play TN, GA, BAMA, aTm, LA, Miss and Miss ST, AK. FL. You don't play anyone weekend and week out like these teams. You must be a KY fan.

Yep TN plays cup cake teams every week. Cupcake teams like OK, Bama, GA, FL, SC. Man Cards have it rough. You guys should come to the SEC. Probably win a lot more championships.

Go ahead and talk now. I saw how the CARDS beat FL and they should have won that game. When was it that the CARDS won a National Championship and when was it that FL won one??

When was it TN won one?

No, we haven't won one ever. Yet.

TN last won when they traveled by train, and I was driving a 4 speed 400 HP gas hog.

But you're right. The $EC is all that with a cherry on top. That's why they've won barely half of their all time bowl games. Against the "inferior" conferences. :rolleyes:

I'm finished feeding the troll.

Go ahead and talk now. I saw how the CARDS beat FL and they should have won that game. When was it that the CARDS won a National Championship and when was it that FL won one??

B_II UofL last won a football national title about the same time uahkay did. Oh yeah, we know about 1950 and the fact that it took 25 years for that so called title to be awarded. What a load of crap. uahkay fans should be totally ashamed of themselves for "claiming" that so called title. If you think uahkay football is anywhere near the equal of the University of Louisville football program you are totally and sadly mistaken. We are so far ahead of your so called football program that it's becoming shameful for a so called $ec program that claims greatness for just being a part of that conference. :rolleyes:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

B_II UofL last won a football national title about the same time uahkay did. Oh yeah, we know about 1950 and the fact that it took 25 years for that so called title to be awarded. What a load of crap. uahkay fans should be totally ashamed of themselves for "claiming" that so called title. If you think uahkay football is anywhere near the equal of the University of Louisville football program you are totally and sadly mistaken. We are so far ahead of your so called football program that it's becoming shameful for a so called $ec program that claims greatness for just being a part of that conference. :rolleyes:

What a rant. Who are you trying to convince? You just don't understand what its like to run the SEC gauntlet. A 3-9 SEC team would be champions of almost any other league.

What a rant. Who are you trying to convince? You just don't understand what its like to run the SEC gauntlet. A 3-9 SEC team would be champions of almost any other league.
You're exaggerating. Look at the games the SEC lost in the Non-Conference last year and you'll see that you're wrong.

1) Ole Miss lost to Memphis
2) Arkansas lost to Toledo
3) Arkansas lost to Texas Tech
4) Texas A&M lost to Louisville
5) Kentucky lost to Louisville
6) Tennessee lost to Oklahoma
7) South Carolina (who was a 3-9 SEC team by the way) lost to The Citadel
8) South Carolina lost to Clemson
9) Vanderbilt lost to Houston
10) Florida lost to FSU

There is only one SEC team that would have had a chance to win the ACC last year if they were in our league and that is Alabama.

Any SEC team West team would have won The ACC Coastal, as well as Georgia orTennessee
But that isn't what you said. You said a 3-9 SEC team would win the ACC. Winning the Coastal isn't winning the ACC. To win the ACC the team would have to win the Coastal and then beat Clemson in the ACC Championship game. That is something in my opinion only Alabama could do from out of the SEC.

So you're telling a Florida State Fan/Alum they don't understand Big Time Southen Football...ok...WOW!!
I was telling Gocds about his rant. Schmidty is from the South. He knows Big time College football. I think Florida St. fans get a little hurt when talking about the SEC. They've been waiting to get an invite to join the Conference ever since Burt Reynolds played there. In a one game series between good teams anything can happen. That why I said a 3-9 SEC team could win the ACC.

I was telling Gocds about his rant. Schmidty is from the South. He knows Big time College football. I think Florida St. fans get a little hurt when talking about the SEC. They've been waiting to get an invite to join the Conference ever since Burt Reynolds played there. In a one game series between good teams anything can happen. That why I said a 3-9 SEC team could win the ACC.
We aren't hurt. We are very happy in the ACC. The ACC is the best Sport for Olympic Sports. It is tied for the best Baseball with the SEC. And the Men's Basketball is by far the best in the country. Couple with that, we are in a Division in Football with Clemson and Louisville who are both Top 15 programs. Also, the Coastal is getting better with the most recent Coaching hires at Virginia Tech, Miami and Virginia. The ACC is a great conference and it is only getting better. And word out there is the ACC Network is on its way soon. I wouldn't trade being in the ACC for any other conference. We can play SEC teams when we see them in Non-Conference games, a Bowl game or the Playoff. 7 years ago I might have felt differently.

When was it TN won one?

No, we haven't won one ever. Yet.

TN last won when they traveled by train, and I was driving a 4 speed 400 HP gas hog.

But you're right. The $EC is all that with a cherry on top. That's why they've won barely half of their all time bowl games. Against the "inferior" conferences. :rolleyes:

I'm finished feeding the troll.
Tennessee won a N.C. with T. Martin at QB after Peyton left.

cantmissprospect the only thing that can't miss here is your total lack of intelligence. You are truly a can't miss uahkay fan. Your being here is a gift not a right. Do you undersand the difference between being a volunteer or being a victim? uahkay in the $ec is the ultimate in volunteerism, not victim hood. Please try to remember your role here. And how does it feel to be on the receiving end of welfare because that is exactly what uahkay is to the rest of the $ec. And "congrats" on that national title you never won. :p:D:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well MR. Seven Posts:

TN has won ONE. 1. Uno.

Granted that is one more than UL.

But it's still just ONE. We are only one behind.

The rest of the time, TN has been also-ran's in the $EC just like the rest of your "powerhouse" conference. As far as NC's go, the $EC is pretty much just Bama, Florida, and LSU

Since 1970 (45 seasons for the $EC fans) those three are responsible for 17 NC's (most of which were on "votes", (biased) not the field)

The rest of your "dominating" conference has FOUR NC's. (4) That's TN, AU, and UGA (2)

The ACC has Five NC's in that time. FSU (3) CU (2). If I want to pull an $EC stunt, and claim current members, throw five more in there for Miami. And give Va Tech two runner ups (to FSU and Miami)
(Which goes to show, MOST conference are top heavy)

So run along with all your conference mates. Scream and shout "S-E-C". Give each other reach arounds and tell each other how tough the conference is.

Then, when you think you have something, we're sure you'll make up another account name and come back.

Until then............

cantmissprospect the only thing that can't miss here is your total lack of intelligence. You are truly a can't miss uahkay fan. Your being here is a gift not a right. Do you undersand the difference between being a volunteer or being a victim? uahkay in the $ec is the ultimate in volunteerism, not victim hood. Please try to remember your role here. And how does it feel to be on the receiving end of welfare because that is exactly what uahkay is to the rest of the $ec. And "congrats" on that national title you never won. :p:D:rolleyes:

That might of been true in the past but UK is headed to altitudes they've never been before. Just look at the recruiting rankings. Bad teams don't have rankings like that. To prove my point- you don't see many people scheduling us for homecoming games anymore- that tells you they are worried.

That might of been true in the past but UK is headed to altitudes they've never been before. Just look at the recruiting rankings. Bad teams don't have rankings like that. To prove my point- you don't see many people scheduling us for homecoming games anymore- that tells you they are worried.
You still have to translate it into results. You can say "Look how hard the SEC is," but playing in the SEC East the past few years isn't as hard as playing in the ACC Atlantic. You've lost 6 straight games to Louisville and I don't see that changing anytime soon as long as Bobby Petrino is at Louisville.

That is the thing: There are no guarantees that recruiting rankings are going to turn into wins. And Louisiville's recruiting classes the past two years have been rating as high as Kentucky's are. The difference in Louisville and Kentucky is player development and coaching. The players that go to Louisville develop better than the players that are going to Kentucky.

The SEC East going to be better in the next few years with Tennessee getting better, Georgia getting Kirby Smart and Jim McElwane and Florida have won 30 straight over Kentucky. My thought is Kentucky blew their chance to make a move the past two or three years when the SEC East was down. Couple all that with the fact that you aren't beating Louisville and I don't see the upward trend like you are talking about.

Most of those loses to Florida were just plain old bad luck or UK getting the old screw job from the Officials, so they don't really count. Soon Stoops will have UK 3 deep at every position. That means in the 4th Quarter we will be bringing in guys better than the ones who started. If you look at UK box scores during the Stoops era, we were rarely more than a score or two behind after Qtr one. Last year we even had UL down 21-3 and called off the dogs. Bottom line our guys just got tired. Now UK will attack in waves. Gran is installing the new violent offense as we speak. ASsfar as losing to UL, it's only been 5 years straight. At some point UK led in most of those games, UL just happened to be in front at the end. Can't wait to hit Commonwealth in September.
GBB!

Most of those loses to Florida were just plain old bad luck or UK getting the old screw job from the Officials, so they don't really count. Soon Stoops will have UK 3 deep at every position. That means in the 4th Quarter we will be bringing in guys better than the ones who started. If you look at UK box scores during the Stoops era, we were rarely more than a score or two behind after Qtr one. Last year we even had UL down 21-3 and called off the dogs. Bottom line our guys just got tired. Now UK will attack in waves. Gran is installing the new violent offense as we speak. ASsfar as losing to UL, it's only been 5 years straight. At some point UK led in most of those games, UL just happened to be in front at the end. Can't wait to hit Commonwealth in September.
GBB!
But you missed my point. My point is your OPPONENTS also have great players and have Depth. Louisville has that too. Player Development is almost as important if not more important than recruiting rankings. Jimbo Fisher always tells the media,"Everybody has good players so in order to be successful we have to have a system in place to develop our players from the time they arrive at FSU to the time that they leave." FSU has all kind of support systems in place from Nutrition, Strength Training, Mental Training and so forth. There is a lot more than just recruiting talent and expected it to turn into wins. And I'm not saying Mark Stoops can't get it done. I'm saying he hasn't yet and there is no indication he'll ever do it until/unless he actually does it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT