ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Scheduling.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
I posted this on Warchant too but I was looking through the SEC's Non-Conference scheduling for 2016 and then compared it with the ACC's and there is no comparison. Most of the SEC teams play one semi-decent out of conference game combined with 3 cupcakes that are guaranteed wins. There are a couple of exceptions. Ole Miss plays us and Memphis. There isn't anything special about Memphis but it is better than an FCS or a 2 win FBS team or something like that. Georgia plays UNC and Georgia Tech. Everybody else schedules one hard game and that is it. And it really isn't even that. One hard game is enough. But for some of your other games schedule an East Carolina or BYU instead of Prairie View or Alabama A&M.

The ACC has a ton of high profile Non-Conference games this year and plenty of semi difficult games against decent G5 programs. I hope we get rewarded for it.

Just another example of validating the old 'Ric Flair' phrase "To be the man, you got to beat the man!"......except for the SEC who thinks the only man to beat resides in the SEC.....and beating up on each other is all the proof they need to think they are the best, etc.

That and having the media repeat their mantra over and over and over again with high preseason ratings based on the built in media bias that has been so prevalent for the last 20-30 years, etc. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The ACC's mantra should be.....prove it on the field of play.....and that can only be done by scheduling non-cupcake teams.....and then beating them the old fashion way.....and be the man.

The SEC powers that avoid this should be shamed and ashamed over their scheduling practices. (UF, Bama, LSWho and UGA that includes you among the chief wussies).

Thank goodness for the end of year 4 rivalry games or they would likely skate away from playing the ACC or any other P5 teams OOC left to their own devices. :rolleyes:

Just another example of validating the old 'Ric Flair' phrase "To be the man, you got to beat the man!"......except for the SEC who thinks the only man to beat resides in the SEC.....and beating up on each other is all the proof they need to think they are the best, etc.

That and having the media repeat their mantra over and over and over again with high preseason ratings based on the built in media bias that has been so prevalent for the last 20-30 years, etc. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The ACC's mantra should be.....prove it on the field of play.....and that can only be done by scheduling non-cupcake teams.....and then beating them the old fashion way.....and be the man.

The SEC powers that avoid this should be shamed and ashamed over their scheduling practices. (UF, Bama, LSWho and UGA that includes you among the chief wussies).

Thank goodness for the end of year 4 rivalry games or they would likely skate away from playing the ACC or any other P5 teams OOC left to their own devices. :rolleyes:
Not an SEC person, just a UK fan, but disagree on Georgia being a wussy. They are an example of a Power 5 team who plays tough OOC schedules (UNC and GaTech this year, Clemson and GaTech in 2013 & 2014, Boise State and GaTech in 2011). As for some of the big dogs in the SEC only scheduling 1 big time opponant OOC, that has proven to be enough to have a chance to win it all. Until that changes, not sure the scheduling will change (whether it's media bias, perception, etc.). I also enjoy when programs play a tougher OOC schedule. I don't mind UK's this year with you all and Southern Miss. Again, not a power program with Southern Miss, but better than Akron.

To be fair bthaunert, 2 of your 3 cupcakes turned out to be anything but. This myth that the SEC is a week in week out murderer's row is just bunk. UK gets SC, Mizzou and Vandy every year plus its perm west pop is MSU. No push over but better than getting Alabama or LSU each year. And still you can't capitalize. Your brutal schedule is a myth

To be fair bthaunert, 2 of your 3 cupcakes turned out to be anything but. This myth that the SEC is a week in week out murderer's row is just bunk. UK gets SC, Mizzou and Vandy every year plus its perm west pop is MSU. No push over but better than getting Alabama or LSU each year. And still you can't capitalize. Your brutal schedule is a myth
Never said our schedule was brutal. I was speaking about the big dogs in the SEC only scheduling 1 good OOC opponent. Our schedule was much tougher in the day when Florida, Georgia and Tennessee were top programs. We have had the opportunity of a lifetime over the last few years with Muschamp at Florida and the mess at UT and haven't been able to take advantage of it. We have struggled mightily in games, that on paper, we should not struggle with. Until we get past that, we're not going anywhere.

Our schedule was much tougher in the day when Florida, Georgia and Tennessee were top programs.

You almost literally never beat any of those 3 (if not for a squeaker a few years ago over the worst UT team ever) your "streak" against the Vols would be longer than the one against Florida. As it were, in the last 30 seasons you're 2-58 against those 2 counting your 1986 victory over Florida. A program has to try and be that awful I think and yet plenty of the idiots in the echo chamber gloss over that with calls of 8-4, New year's bowls etc. That's why everyone laughs at you---know your place. You haven't beaten anyone with a pulse in several years, yet we're "Lil Bro." This is the year though, right?

You almost literally never beat any of those 3 (if not for a squeaker a few years ago over the worst UT team ever) your "streak" against the Vols would be longer than the one against Florida. As it were, in the last 30 seasons you're 2-58 against those 2 counting your 1986 victory over Florida. A program has to try and be that awful I think and yet plenty of the idiots in the echo chamber gloss over that with calls of 8-4, New year's bowls etc. That's why everyone laughs at you---know your place. You haven't beaten anyone with a pulse in several years, yet we're "Lil Bro." This is the year though, right?
I know we never beat them. Hell, we can't beat them (except for UT a few years ago) when they aren't that good. That is what I meant. If we ever had an opportunity to win against teams like Florida and UT, it was over the past few years, but as usual, we crap the bed. As far as this being the year...As a die hard fan, I am hoping it is the year we make the turn. As a realist, and someone who has seen this staff for 3 years now, I temper my expectations a lot.

LOL! What games on paper should you not struggle with? EKU, maybe? Everyone else not so much.
On paper, based on talent we bring in, compared to our opponants, we should be able to compete in 8 of our games (4 OOC, Vandy, Mizzou, USC, MSU). But, we haven't been able to do that in a long time. Reality is, our coaching has been brutal, our player development has lacked, and our ability to recruit balanced classes based on positions has not been good. Until our staff proves otherwise, my expectations year in and year out are minimal.

We have had several games over the many years of those streaks where we had the game won and found a way to lose the game. That's UK football. We should have beaten UT 4-5 times during that long streak and Florida 2-3 times as well. They always find a way to win it and we find a way to lose it.
This upcoming year we should have some nice chances of getting some wins because of the turnover in the league, but we should have some problems somewhere on the team. It's usually line play every year on both sides of the ball. Don't ask me why our line coaches havn't lost their jobs yet. This will be their 4th season.
We play Southern Miss who was I think a 9 win team and returning a lot of guys especially their QB is a great player. I'm sure they will be up for us.
We play you guys who are no slouch as well.

our schedule shapes up like this
Southern Miss a 55/45 game
@Florida who will more than likely be a loss
New Mexico St. more than likely a victory
USCe 50/50
@ Bama try to keep them from beating us down
Vandy 50/50 Good D and their terrible O should be better.
Miss St 50/50 they lost their QB
@Missouri 50/50 new coach and they have QB troubles
Georgia. prob loss. new coach and you just don't know what you get
@ UT prob beat down
Austin Peay terrible team so a confidence boosting easy win
@UL 55/45 chance of a loss

So we have 2 easy games.

You only have 2 "easy games" because you're "you"; not because the schedule is brutal. Anyone outside Austin Peay (really you're playing them?) and NMSU are potential pitfalls for you. You've got 2 bought wins right there. Only need go 4-6 the rest of the way and we'll see you all naming streets for Porky

Reactions: American Male

How could your list of SEC scheduling miscreants leave off Auburn? Perhaps the worst offender of all, aside from LSU. Far worse than UGA. I follow both schools in FB and it pains me they play cupcakes so frequently.

How could your list of SEC scheduling miscreants leave off Auburn? Perhaps the worst offender of all, aside from LSU. Far worse than UGA. I follow both schools in FB and it pains me they play cupcakes so frequently.

Just an oversight......wth, I could just about have listed them all.....but didn't want to bog down the thought.......you got what I meant. And I agree on AU but they did play UofL last year...so there is that for them.

On paper, based on talent we bring in, compared to our opponants, we should be able to compete in 8 of our games (4 OOC, Vandy, Mizzou, USC, MSU). But, we haven't been able to do that in a long time. Reality is, our coaching has been brutal, our player development has lacked, and our ability to recruit balanced classes based on positions has not been good. Until our staff proves otherwise, my expectations year in and year out are minimal.
Did you watch your spring game? Your number ones could not stop your number twos. UK football is a complete dumpster fire under Stoops. Keep hoping.

To all the uakay fans posting here you just opened as a 16.5 point dog versus the University of Louisville. Considering your comments I'd think you guys would be jumping all over that. Please do because Vegas needs your money. Idiots. 55-45 easy game my ass. :rolleyes:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

It will be interesting to see how an increased playoff field size would impact scheduling.

College football is great but some weeks there just aren't marquee games.

You only have 2 "easy games" because you're "you"; not because the schedule is brutal. Anyone outside Austin Peay (really you're playing them?) and NMSU are potential pitfalls for you. You've got 2 bought wins right there. Only need go 4-6 the rest of the way and we'll see you all naming streets for Porky

If you think your schedule is much more difficult than ours is which schools on your schedule is cupcakes and which ones are very tough games? We have UL, Florida, Bama, Georgia and UT who will be very good. I see Houston, Clemson and Fl St on your alls.

Say what? "If you think your schedule is much more difficult than ours is which schools on your schedule is cupcakes and which ones are tough games?" Can you translate from Idiotese to English please? Nevertheless I never said that. I said most all your games are tough games because you are terrible. Vandy has owned you in recent years for God's sake! As has WKU. You're the 3rd (maybe 4th) best team in the state, so of course almost all your games are (is?) tough and "is" not cupcake. Now go away.

The $EC claims EVERY conference game as "tough" (sans uk and Vandy) when in reality, after the top two (and sometimes 3) they're no "tougher" than the middle of most P5 conferences.

They just have the media spewing the same crap, so they get ordained as the "toughest".

In reality, many $EC teams get the equivalent of SIX (6) OOC games if they have uk and Vandy on there the same year. :rolleyes:

I posted this on Warchant too but I was looking through the SEC's Non-Conference scheduling for 2016 and then compared it with the ACC's and there is no comparison. Most of the SEC teams play one semi-decent out of conference game combined with 3 cupcakes that are guaranteed wins. There are a couple of exceptions. Ole Miss plays us and Memphis. There isn't anything special about Memphis but it is better than an FCS or a 2 win FBS team or something like that. Georgia plays UNC and Georgia Tech. Everybody else schedules one hard game and that is it. And it really isn't even that. One hard game is enough. But for some of your other games schedule an East Carolina or BYU instead of Prairie View or Alabama A&M.

The ACC has a ton of high profile Non-Conference games this year and plenty of semi difficult games against decent G5 programs. I hope we get rewarded for it.

From Louisville's side, we have a lot of trouble getting quality teams to schedule us. It seems like Georgia backed out a few years ago. I think we have Alabama, Notre Dame and Purdue coming up in the next few years. Having to burn one of our slots on a home and away with Kentucky doesn't help. I really wish the ACC and SEC would let us upgrade that game to someone better in the SEC, like maybe one of the Mississippi teams.

It's kind of funny skimming through this thread and seeing UK fans talk about their schedule as if it has any bearing on the topic under discussion. I'm guessing UK isn't one of the teams SchmidtyNole was thinking about as dodging tough competition. This is really a discussion for teams that are at least trying to win and how they deal with their OOC.

Reactions: rockycard and atiba
The $EC claims EVERY conference game as "tough" (sans uk and Vandy) when in reality, after the top two (and sometimes 3) they're no "tougher" than the middle of most P5 conferences.

They just have the media spewing the same crap, so they get ordained as the "toughest".

In reality, many $EC teams get the equivalent of SIX (6) OOC games if they have uk and Vandy on there the same year. :rolleyes:
False. Don't let last year, and possibly the year before, cloud your judgement. IN MOST YEARS, the SEC is clearly, head's and shoulders, better than the other P5 conferences. The "myth" that the media supposedly perpetuates started somewhere... The SEC will quickly turn it around, because its the SEC and most of the high caliber talent in the south will stay in the SEC. UF and Tenn are already back. Ole Miss will take a dive now with the recruiting issues... Luckily for you. ;)

It's kind of funny skimming through this thread and seeing UK fans talk about their schedule as if it has any bearing on the topic under discussion. I'm guessing UK isn't one of the teams SchmidtyNole was thinking about as dodging tough competition. This is really a discussion for teams that are at least trying to win and how they deal with their OOC.

I'm just trying to figure out on what is the definition of having a tough schedule. I'm sure you guys are going to play a tougher schedule than most other schools do. Some schools willl schedule better OOC teams to play because their in conference teams are a joke. That is what UK basketball tends to do since most of the SEC in basketball sucks. UK football is not going to schedule ND, USC, Oregon as their OOC games in football. Cause they wouldn't schedule us to begin with. That's just reality for us.
One thing that has to happen is to have home games to generate revenue. Not many schools is going to go visit other schools and lose out on revenue.
With these small schools you can pay them to come in and take a beating and collect the ticket sales, vender sales etc. That's the main reason why most teams have smaller schools come in. Next year I think we travel to Southern Miss. I don't understand the purpose of this unless they are trying to spread our brand down in Southern Miss, Southern Bama and Louisiana. Maybe pick up a recruit or two from that area.
Personally I would rather schedule Illinois, IU, Penn St, Maryland etc.

UF and Tenn are already back. ;)

And here's the myth.

Both finished fringe T 25 which is not "back" by their standards.

Tenn came on strong and has momentum - in fact their season closely mirrors the season of Louisville. They had four losing seasons in a row but are still just 21-17 in their last three seasons combined. I can see them breaking through, but they haven't done anything significant to say they are back, yet. They will get the preseason ranking benefit of the doubt the SEC always gets, but nobody would be surprised if they are good but not great, or even implode. I actually do think they will be pretty good, but I'm not claiming they are back because, they haven't really done anything.

FLA limped home got destroyed by FSU and Michigan. Jury is for sure still out on their current regime they lost their last 3 games and weren't competitive in any of them. Their offense is sub par they needed OT to beat a real bad FLA Atlantic team just before they lost their last three. The argument could be made they are trending down actually, if you're going to use the scores of the games as your supporting data. But if you want to use the SEC honk position, then your post is spot on yo.

I'm just trying to figure out on what is the definition of having a tough schedule. .

Looked like the OP spelled it out fairly clearly. He's suggesting good programs should be able to handle multiple difficult out of conference games to try to secure a tough schedule.

He's claiming some programs do this, but others do not.

Did you watch your spring game? Your number ones could not stop your number twos. UK football is a complete dumpster fire under Stoops. Keep hoping.
Like I said, until our staff proves they can coach, develop talent and recruit balanced classes, my expectations year in and year out are minimal.

With these small schools you can pay them to come in and take a beating and collect the ticket sales, vender sales etc. That's the main reason why most teams have smaller schools come in.

Yeah. . . . about that! Seems like some of those "small schools" you schedule aren't getting the memo about taking their beating (WKU, EKU, ULL, et al.)

False. Don't let last year, and possibly the year before, cloud your judgement. IN MOST YEARS, the SEC is clearly, head's and shoulders, better than the other P5 conferences.
Really?

Then why is the $EC overall bowl winning percentage (which supposedly matches "like" teams from other conferences) only .530? Which for those in Lexington means you lose very close to as many as you win. Would an Alabama, UGA, LSU, FL or Auburn coach be around long with a .530? So that is obviously NOT dominant. At uk it would get a contract extension.

The $EC is as close to average as anyone else. If it were .650 or higher I'd give it to you.

But not at .500. You guys are legends in your own minds.

I'm just trying to figure out on what is the definition of having a tough schedule.

Like IPartied pointed out, it's pretty obvious what the OP is suggesting. Playing just 1 tough OOC game doesn't cut it for a top team. Again it has nothing to do with UK who is just trying to limp into a bowl. This is more about how the top teams in the leagues should comport themselves on a national stage. I agree with the OP's sentiment that top teams should go out and try to play at least 2 tough games OOC. Granted, we don't always know who's going to be up and down, another good reason to schedule 2 or 3 real programs.

I don't understand the purpose of this unless they are trying to spread our brand down in Southern Miss, Southern Bama and Louisiana. Maybe pick up a recruit or two from that area.
Personally I would rather schedule Illinois, IU, Penn St, Maryland etc.
Spread your brand down south? You have hired a coach that believes the only way to win in the SEC is with Ohio kids. Gotta love Stupes, he's cornered that market while the rest of the SEC continues to chase those less talented southern state kids. o_O

Really?

Then why is the $EC overall bowl winning percentage (which supposedly matches "like" teams from other conferences) only .530? Which for those in Lexington means you lose very close to as many as you win. Would an Alabama, UGA, LSU, FL or Auburn coach be around long with a .530? So that is obviously NOT dominant. At uk it would get a contract extension.

The $EC is as close to average as anyone else. If it were .650 or higher I'd give it to you.

But not at .500. You guys are legends in your own minds.
To underscore that point, U of L is 6-2 the last four years against the SEC. In addition to the four LPT wins, that's 2-2 against Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas A&M.

If instead of three of those LPT wins, you substitute SEC lighter-weights like USCjr, Vandy, and Missouri, you have a pretty representative 8-game schedule. And against which, U of L played .750 ball.

Add four typical SEC-OOC creampuffs, you've got a 10-2 season result. Even if you peel off a win, that's still 9-3. Most LPT fans would kill for that result in ANY season and wanna add back the 10K seats...

To underscore that point, U of L is 6-2 the last four years against the SEC. In addition to the four LPT wins, that's 2-2 against Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Texas A&M.

If instead of three of those LPT wins, you substitute SEC lighter-weights like USCjr, Vandy, and Missouri, you have a pretty representative 8-game schedule. And against which, U of L played .750 ball.

Add four typical SEC-OOC creampuffs, you've got a 10-2 season result. Even if you peel off a win, that's still 9-3. Most LPT fans would kill for that result in ANY season and wanna add back the 10K seats...

The $ec schools use the "we are the $ec" mantra to justify their pitiful OOC schedules. We all know if uahkay had the option our football series would come to an immediate halt and that's the way I'd like for it to end if it is to end. Because I want to be able to point my finger and yell things like coward kittens. I just can't help myself. :p The $ec is good at the top but so is the ACC and the other P5 conferences. Let us remember that the title game between Alabama and Clemson was a very close game. :rolleyes:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I wouldn't mind playing the Vols during the season (like our schedule w/ND), over UK but I know that's just me. I do laugh very hard when we beat UK and be the reason why they're not going to a bowl game like the last few years now.

I read that Florida hasn't played an OOC opponent outside of the state of Florida since 1991.
They haven't. They play us every year and then three home games against teams they have no chance of losing against with the exception of when they lost to Georgia Southern in 2013. The last time they traveled outside of the state of Florida for a OOC game was when they went to the Carrier Dome to play Syracuse in 1991.

They haven't. They play us every year and then three home games against teams they have no chance of losing against with the exception of when they lost to Georgia Southern in 2013. The last time they traveled outside of the state of Florida for a OOC game was when they went to the Carrier Dome to play Syracuse in 1991.

Schmidty what is the vibe with FLA fans and their new regime? They had a decent year last year. But, they really tailed off late in the season and it looked like Musch era again to me.

Are they nervous, or optimistic, or something else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT