ADVERTISEMENT

SDST 65 - Louisville WBB 55

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The Louisville women's basketball squad fell again in the Bahamas, falling behind by 17 in the third quarter, rallying back to get within three but ultimately losing by 10 to the South Dakota State Jackrabbits.

The early season list of complaints and problems with this this continues to grow. Lack of rebounding, lack of effective defense, no scorers mot nights except for Hailey and O. Lack of hustle and desire.

it is a early season dilemma for Walz and his staff. Yesterday would have been painful to watch.

1Q: Louisville 11, South Dakota State 8

After trailing 8-4 roughly two-thirds through the first, the Cards overcame the slow start and rallied around a 7-0 run to close out the quarter. Although the offense was nt clicking like they can, the defense had a strong showing by giving up just eight points and shutting out the Jackrabbits out in the final 3:26.

2Q: South Dakota State 26, Louisville 19

Early on, it looked like the Cards might build up a comfortable lead in the second quarter by scoring six of the first eight points, but a four and a half minute drought after that was costly. After going up seven, Louisville allowed the Jackrabbits to score 16 points over the final 6:13 before halftime.

3Q: South Dakota State 46, Louisville 39

If you like defense then this quarter is not for you. The two foes combined for 40 points in the third quarter alone with a combined 14-25 (56%) shooting. The Jackrabbits extended their lead to 17 midway through the quarter before Louisville closed out the quarter with an 11-1 run.

4Q South Dakota State 65, Louisville 55

Missed opportunities were the theme of the fourth quarter for Louisville. The Cards cut their deficit to three with 6:30 remaining in the game. A few defensive stops and a few made baskets could've turned the game around for Louisville, but that's not how the story would unfold. Four missed shots and a pair of fouls would plague the next several possessions for Louisville, allowing the Jackrabbits to push their lead back to 11 with three minutes remaining. Louisville would never get closer than within eight points the remainder of the game.

Answers? Whose got the answers? I know, many of you have suggestions on what is wrong with this team...let's just hope they can turn it around soon. Too much talent on this team for it to play like this.

Friday features Longwood for a noon "kiddies day" game. Let's hope the cure begins then.

--sonja--

As a SDSU alumni, I am plugged into their Facebook page which showed some highlights of the game. I was shocked to see how many wide open under the basket plays that SDSU had. Jeff has to work on that. SDSU is consistently a very good team. They won several Division II championships and after upgrading to Division I they have made the big dance multiple times and won the NIT last year. They are well coached and very disciplined.

As a SDSU alumni, I am plugged into their Facebook page which showed some highlights of the game. I was shocked to see how many wide open under the basket plays that SDSU had. Jeff has to work on that. SDSU is consistently a very good team. They won several Division II championships and after upgrading to Division I they have made the big dance multiple times and won the NIT last year. They are well coached and very disciplined.
Yes, I think we all know the JackRabbits are a very good mid-major and have some talented sixth year players. I'm not willing to make excuses for Louisville's loss because of that, though. This Cardinals team needs to grow up, toughen up and compete. Last year's Cards would have won this thing by 20. The development of this squad still has a long way to go. The parts are there, but they aren't installed in the engine yet (I forgot who described it that way, but it is apropos) .

--sonja--

I noticed that Jones only played 8 minutes in the game. Any speculaulation why that was
the case.

I think she had some foul trouble. But, it may be more about her defense maybe.

I think Coach now has their attention. He likes these tough early games that illustrate what areas our team needs to improve. I remember other seasons where we had some games that have lead to much fan teeth gnashing, but we get the ship righted.
We will have some tough practices and we will improve. See ya Friday, personally loving the noon start.

Reactions: Bardman
I believe the entirely avoidable charges and the zero assists she had in the last three games tell a story. She has 5 assists in in the first six games and zero in the three Bahama games. Sharing the ball may be one of Morgan's problems. Morgan also has 23 rebounds in the six games (tied with 5'7" Mykassa Robinson), quite a drop off from what was expected from her (she was the leading rebounder for Florida State's team last year). Compare this to Emily's 59 rebounds after the first six games year. A real disappointment so far. The talent appears to be there, but the mindset may need some work. We need her full attention and participation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT