ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Notre Dame

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Here are few tidbits:

- the Irish rank 97th overall out of 130 team in their returning production

- they return 6 starters on defense and 7 starters on offense

- QB Ian Book - 2018 as a starter: 211-of-311 for 2,615 yards and 19 touchdowns with seven interceptions in nine games. Book also had four rushing touchdowns.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I think it's fun breaking things down Hank. I gotta be honest it was a little more fun doing that when the Cards had a more accomplished roster though LOLOL

I support this team and really hope for the best with the new regime. This ain't exactly the ideal team to open with but hopefully the Cards are able to do some good things out there.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I think it's fun breaking things down Hank. I gotta be honest it was a little more fun doing that when the Cards had a more accomplished roster though LOLOL

I support this team and really hope for the best with the new regime. This ain't exactly the ideal team to open with but hopefully the Cards are able to do some good things out there.

I’m a huge college football fan and played in college many years ago. Normally this time of year I’m very hyped about the season. Unfortunately I’m having trouble getting excited about this year. But at this point everyone has the same record so I figured what the heck I might as well learn a little bit about our first opponent.

Reactions: Louisvillian
No, this program hasn't been lifers in the top 10.

But, they've also spent very little time rock bottom and have had success since the pipe that was long ago.

For me this season is more about turning a page and heading into a new era. College sports really is all about change it seems.

I can find some juice for sure, got to give these kids a shot at a little redemption.

Keys to starting this new season off right.
Fans in the stands early showing interest and hype. 8pm on Holiday, plenty of time to get all your consumption in.

A new attitude and hype from the players out of the tunnel.

Great tackles early to fire us up. Throw a sack in there

Running game early with 3-4-5 yds a carry moving on the field.

Pass with confidence and a couple completion.

CS rocking and enjoying FB again.

That’s how I’m visualizing it.

I agree but feet to the fire and all. I'm HOPING Satterfield can do some magic in the coming years. UofL has never and will never be a football 'player' like some schools but I hope at least at some point there can be some consistency.

I really wish the program could keep a coach longer than 5 years. Seems to me this is just how it is. Someone does well; off to a bigger program. Someone sucks; off with their heads. Comes down to fan support I wager. When ND has 30K in the stadium and the UofL faithful are 10K or so in black; why would a coach stay.

Either way I hope they give em a game at least. More than we saw last year...

EDIT: and Clempson was not the bee's knees for a long time till Dabo got there so there is some hope. Though they still packed the stadium even in down years....

Here’s my take on the domers. Early hype turns into late disappointment as reality meets expectations.

Wash, rinse & (effing) repeat...

Last year ND was not preseason top 10 & finished in top 5.
The year before was not ranked preseason & finished 11th.
The last two years ND is has played the most & is tied for the most wins against teams that finished in the top 25.
I know you hate ND, but at least be fair.

Reactions: shadowman4
QB for ND is good not great! I think we’ll hang around but superior depth wins out late for the Irish.

Only chance for upset is a strong running game behind future HOF Tackle Mehta Becton & the emergence of fully motored Robinson & Goldwire dominating the defensive front.

A guys allowed to dream? Lol

Last edited:
I really wish the program could keep a coach longer than 5 years. Seems to me this is just how it is. Someone does well; off to a bigger program. Someone sucks; off with their heads. Comes down to fan support I wager. When ND has 30K in the stadium and the UofL faithful are 10K or so in black; why would a coach stay.

As of 2017, the average coaching tenure @ D1 was 3.8 years. UofL operates at, or slightly above the national average in terms of coaching carousel. It probably seems worse because after one or two successful seasons, a UofL coach becomes a commodity.

Short list for destination jobs.

Probably need to win the turnover department, or at least stay even with turnovers...to stay in the game 4 quarters. Ball has been a hot potato around here a few years, will be interesting to see if the new regime can lead the Cards to have more success taking care of the ball.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
My biggest concern without knowing what the hell I'm talking about is - size/skill differential in the trenches. I'm imagining the ND O line is a good one. I have visions of problems at the line of scrimmage. But maybe not!

I choose to go back in history to September 1 2007 when little known App St. shocked Michigan (ranked 5th at the time) and the football world. I know we’re not a FCS school like App was at the time but I think the obstacles for them were similar except in their case they were playing in the Big House. We are at home and our fans can make a difference. Go Cards!

My biggest concern without knowing what the hell I'm talking about is - size/skill differential in the trenches. I'm imagining the ND O line is a good one. I have visions of problems at the line of scrimmage. But maybe not!

Notre Dame has a lot of experience on the o-line. 4 of their 5 returning guys were starters. Lots of size and experience. Our defensive line was embarrassingly bad last year so this looks to be a mismatch in favor of ND. Hopefully the addition of the grad transfer from Marshall can help shore up our d line. I still have nightmares of GaTech running the ball straight down our throats play after play.

QB for ND is good not great! I think we’ll hang around but superior depth wins out late for the Irish.

Only chance for upset is a strong running game behind future HOF Tackle Mehta Becton & the emergence of fully motored Robinson & Goldwire dominating the defensive front.

A guys aloud to dream? Lol
Allowed, yes. Aloud, no.

Reactions: RalphDawkins
Listened to a preview podcast yesterday & the two Rivals ND mods from BGI both said they felt Louisville was a lot better than 2-10 last year & wouldn’t be surprised if they made a Bowl this year. Said that they expect UL to get some big wins late in the season once they have time together under the new staff.

ND did lose some really good players to the NFL and graduation, but they are filling those holes with experienced good players. I do believe Louisville will have to play up to ND's level to keep it close or pull off the upset. I felt the coaches let the players down last year. It reminded me of what happen to ND in 2016 (4-8). I expect a much different Louisville team (under new coaches) against ND if a few weeks. Coaching at the college level makes a big difference. I picked this game as ND's trap game for the season. ND better come ready to play a hard fought game.

I see no way it’s a “trap game.”
It’s the season opener.
ND has a bye afterwards, then New Mexico at home.
Louisville is a night game, season opener, & the only team with a pulse they play the next month.
The game I see as the ultamite trap game is UVA the week after Georgia.

I don’t hate ND at all - in fact I was pulling for them from the 10th or so row on the 50yd line behind the ND bench for the last catholics v. convicts game in South Bend. I do hate that they have been able to park their non revenue sports in the last two conferences UofL has been in without bringing the football program as well.

That said - I’ll stick by my comment that the domers are historically overrated. In fact, since 2000 - they’ve finished worse than their preseason rank in 12 seasons.
The main reason behind this is that they are consistently ranked high as far as recruiting which translates to high preseason predictions.

The main reason behind this is that they are consistently ranked high as far as recruiting which translates to high preseason predictions.

People love to look at ND because it’s easy, but they overperform more than they underperform under BK. The 2012 season they weren’t even ranked by one service (24th by the other) & made it to #1 & the Title game.
Had another non-ranked team that finished 11th. Last year obviously not ranked high & finished top 5 & CFP. Whenever ND overperforms people ignore it.

I just want to still be in my seat till the end of the game. Watching progress and feeling better. If I’m still standing and cheering, that’s a darn good day.

I agree but feet to the fire and all. I'm HOPING Satterfield can do some magic in the coming years. UofL has never and will never be a football 'player' like some schools but I hope at least at some point there can be some consistency.

EDIT: and Clempson was not the bee's knees for a long time till Dabo got there so there is some hope. Though they still packed the stadium even in down years....

10,000 lol that’s hilarious. We have a core group of about 35,000 to 40,000. And since it’s ND the fans will be there. There will be a large number of ND but there not going to be close to out numbering our fans.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I think Louisville has more talent especially offensively than their 2 and 10 record indicated. So it was coaching last year. But Notre dame overall offense and defense talent is much better than Louisville. If you get a lot of breaks you have a chance. Plus your new staff has to be better than that garbage staff of last season. I don’t think you beat the Irish but it will be a game for a half. Last year if you played the Irish it would be over at the coin flip

I think Louisville has more talent especially offensively than their 2 and 10 record indicated. So it was coaching last year. But Notre dame overall offense and defense talent is much better than Louisville. If you get a lot of breaks you have a chance. Plus your new staff has to be better than that garbage staff of last season. I don’t think you beat the Irish but it will be a game for a half. Last year if you played the Irish it would be over at the coin flip
Who rattled this idiot’s cage?

Here’s my take on the domers. Early hype turns into late disappointment as reality meets expectations.

Wash, rinse & (effing) repeat...

12-1 last year with a playoff berth and the only loss to the national champs was a big disappointment, you are right....

22-4 the past two years and double digit wins in three of the last four years...all "early hype"...yep.

12-1 last year with a playoff berth and the only loss to the national champs was a big disappointment, you are right....

22-4 the past two years and double digit wins in three of the last four years...all "early hype"...yep.
5-10 bowl record in the last 20 years - yikes. I’d say that qualifies as late season disappointment. Thank goodness nbc has all that Seinfeld money or nd would be on the Oxygen channel.

Reactions: CardsFirst

10K, LOL ........you need to go to the eye doctor...

5-10 bowl record in the last 20 years - yikes. I’d say that qualifies as late season disappointment. Thank goodness nbc has all that Seinfeld money or nd would be on the Oxygen channel.

ND always draws the best teams in Bowls.
If they got the Big East, G5, etc... automatic qualifier then they would have easy bowl wins. They get LSU (3 times), Ohio State (twice), Alabama, Clemson....

And no, the ND games draw great ratings.
Stop being bitter.

ND's asset is also a detriment - their ability to recruit nationally. They have players from all over the country, throw them all into a bowl and it's just not that easy to mix it to perfection.

They are always going to be prominent barring a historically bad hire.

It's pretty cool the Cards get this game. Last year, ND would have won by a minimum of 30 points, a wasted opportunity.

At least this year the Cards have a new staff with what will hopefully be a better culture than last year, and have the team better prepared to play.

All I want to know is will you NDA, ara64 and TerryD, please disappear after the Cards beat ND?

I can see some of them aren't going to make it through today. If they want to chat FB and be respectable ok, otherwise the door is shut.

Reactions: Rollem Cards

10K, LOL ........you need to go to the eye doctor...

I know it’s not likely, but I would really like to kick their arrogant butts.

I know it’s not likely, but I would really like to kick their arrogant butts.

Who is arrogant?

What I’ve seen on here is football talk.
I’ve seen a few UL fans attack ND & a couple ND fans then defend ND.
UL won two games last year & ND webt to the CFP & is a top 10 team. With that being said, no ND fans are on here being arrogant or disrespectful of UL.

All I want to know is will you NDA, ara64 and TerryD, please disappear after the Cards beat ND?

Quick question?
What have I said negative about UL?
The only thing I’ve said at all about UL is that you have a really good coach now.

10,000 lol that’s hilarious. We have a core group of about 35,000 to 40,000. And since it’s ND the fans will be there. There will be a large number of ND but there not going to be close to out numbering our fans.
there is no reason why this game should not sell out. SEASON OPENER. against NOTRE DAME. at home

Probably need to win the turnover department, or at least stay even with turnovers...to stay in the game 4 quarters. Ball has been a hot potato around here a few years, will be interesting to see if the new regime can lead the Cards to have more success taking care of the ball.

Last years Appy State Team Turnover Margin was +12 so that is a good thing, the QBs accounted for most of the TOs with ints so if Pass can limit ints then we may be ok there, it seems that the defense is coached to be ball hawks.

Quick question?
What have I said negative about UL?
The only thing I’ve said at all about UL is that you have a really good coach now.

ND, you have only offended one time and you understood the message since then. Some of your fans have now started messaging with a holier than thou attitude. Therefore ruffling some feathers.

This is "our home" and therefore we can state anything we so choose about ND.I believe UofL fans need a kick a$$ attitude this week. This might be a free board, but it is not a free for all for ND fans to spill all/any messages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT