ADVERTISEMENT

Satt needs to go...

I don’t disagreed with this but the biggest opportunity was last night. A chance to stop the rivalry streak, maybe turn the local recruiting trends, earn a decent, meaningful bowl game. It was all there for the taking and we fell flat.

Here’s another thing that I thought was just weird. I love the Lamar promo and that was for our fans. Last night it seemed by showing Schnellenberger promo and all the great former players, we were trying to prove how great our program is and yet it didn’t translate on the field. Then we bring out both bands together to try to show we respect each other but then we end up with fights and scrums on the field. To me it just made things worse.

He's getting another year unless he leaves on his own.

They will probably get T25 votes preseason if Malik returns and they don't get hurt by transfers.

If they don't improve or end up worse then admin will have no choice but to take hard look at it.
I'll be shocked if Malik returns.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Same. He’s been here half a decade. He’s earned the right to go try to win big elsewhere. Not sure what else he can do here.
It is going to be a very unpopular opinion. I don't think Malik is that good, never have. JMO

This is going to piss a lot of people off, but the two games this year where Louisville looked completely overwhelmed were against the two SEC teams. However the UK game was the only one where they completely gave up. They fought to the end against Ole Miss. This team was very likeable to me because of their effort for the first 11 games. The UK game was a perfect storm of UofL having its worst game and UK having its best. Guys, it is what it is, which is a blowout and embarrassment, which removes the perception of momentum that the Cards had in the back half of the season where beating up on shitty ACC teams gave false hope.

Serious question - was Louisville UK's best win this year based on FPI/Sagarin/whatever?

I do feel awful for Satterfield. I can't imagine Satterfield saying anything to his staff/team before the game, so I don't blame the result on that. But it's terrible he had literally an hour to grieve before running out on the field to coach against UK. Prayers for Coach Satterfield, hang in there, it's just football.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulcards1
It is going to be a very unpopular opinion. I don't think Malik is that good, never have. JMO
It's not some crazy take. I appreciate his heart and effort sure.

But his do it with his legs against the tougher teams doesn't fly. It's a problem between the 20s and it sure showed to be a problem in the red zone.

The highlight reels against the tomato can opponents get overblown.

I think the entire roster got exposed when the competition got a little tougher or equal.

He doesn’t make sure kids are going to classes, they have academic guidance counselors that report back to the coach. Does he clean and mop up the locker rooms too? Maybe that’s his issue, he doesn’t know how to delegate. If he wasn’t calling plays, all he would do is go back and watch the film, which he said he does in his post game presser several times.
He's in charge of it as in he's in charge of hiring and making sure it's done right.

He's the CEO. Just like it's not Vince painting the seats and doing stadium maintenance and not Vince selling beer and concessions and not Vince doing marketing, but he's the one that is over a lot of that stuff that hires the people that do it and he gets the credit.

He's not coaching football, but he's the one that makes the hire of the football coach. When you're over a big entity, you cannot just focus on one thing.

Calling plays isn't the issue. It's that if he's calling the plays as the defacto OC, then he has to devote time to the full game-plan and that can take time away from other aspects. If he has an OC that's on the same page as him, the OC can do a lot of the footwork and game-planning under Satt's supervision so that on gameday Satt is aware of a lot of things and isn't distracted from other roles.

This is going to piss a lot of people off, but the two games this year where Louisville looked completely overwhelmed were against the two SEC teams. However the UK game was the only one where they completely gave up. They fought to the end against Ole Miss. This team was very likeable to me because of their effort for the first 11 games. The UK game was a perfect storm of UofL having its worst game and UK having its best. Guys, it is what it is, which is a blowout and embarrassment, which removes the perception of momentum that the Cards had in the back half of the season where beating up on shitty ACC teams gave false hope.

Serious question - was Louisville UK's best win this year based on FPI/Sagarin/whatever?

I do feel awful for Satterfield. I can't imagine Satterfield saying anything to his staff/team before the game, so I don't blame the result on that. But it's terrible he had literally an hour to grieve before running out on the field to coach against UK. Prayers for Coach Satterfield, hang in there, it's just football.
(This post isn't directed at you Morgantown)

Almost like the entire regular season. We started decent and then midway through the game we'd hit a stride, but then falter at the end when we ran out of gas. We ran out of gas this week.

As we can look, Satt can put up points and dominate teams where we have a talent advantage and keep it close when we're close to another team's talent level. But look at certain games where we got molly whopped the last 3 years.

ND 2019
Clemson 2019
Miami 2019
Kentucky 2019
Miami 2020
Ole Miss 2021
Kentucky 2021

Games where we just needed depth and talent and got blown up by bigger, faster, and deeper teams. We couldn't out run them with speed and strategy like the others, as they all had guys just as fast combined with bigger guys blocking and pass rushing.

In 2019 we had some experienced guys and we won the BC, Wake, & UVA games which could've gone the other way.

In 2020 we're a lot younger and lost the Wake, UVA, & Clemson games that were close late. (And UCF just made 1 more mistake)

The 2020 ND game and 2021 Clemson games were examples of teams that weren't effective on offense and we were able to hold our own for most of the game even at a large talent disadvantage.

But one thing is forsure, we've struggled closing games the last 3 years and you can tell it's just due to being tired and not having top level depth. In 2019, we had some decent upperclassmen that could close the games with their experience and in 2021 we aren't as experienced.

Looking at how we've lost, I think you have to look at some factors and see if they're improving.

The depth and size issues on defense and OLine? Bobby left junk and we're slowly getting better. It wasn't great this year, but I think we all forget how bad it was just 2-3 years ago. The line actually held their own and didn't commit dumb penalties all the time. And guess what? We did it without our 2 best defensive players and we're returning a lot more guys.

I think Tutu, Dez, Becton and Hawkins covered a lot of issues up in year 1. WE lost all that explosion, but overall the depth and balance improved. All the young skill players will be back. The line is solid the next few years. Would like to make sure the QB spot is taken care of, but the issues inherited are improving. We replaced A LOT of production at the skill spots and managed to hang tough and a lot of promise.

So we're a 6-6 team. We return a bunch of players. We trade Ole Miss for UCF that could add a win. Can we flip 2 of UVA, NC State, and Wake Forrest into the win column? If we hold serve on the others, that's easily a 8 or 9 win team and at worst a 7 win team. We flip Duke for Pitt, but they'll be losing their QB. I mean experienced teams GET BETTER. We lost a bunch of tight games. We got killed by 2 SEC teams and one of them will be off the schedule. If success next year is defined by UK being our Super Bowl, then maybe Satt isn't the guy. But I don't see any reason to not think a team that had 4 losses that were 1 possession 4th quarter games won't be more battle tested a year later and flip those into wins?

Now if we lose Malik, that's not ideal. But I'm not down because I didn't have unreasonable expectations of this team. Seriously, if Malik returns, do you think we'll get worse?

Reactions: Morgantown Card
(This post isn't directed at you Morgantown)

Almost like the entire regular season. We started decent and then midway through the game we'd hit a stride, but then falter at the end when we ran out of gas. We ran out of gas this week.

As we can look, Satt can put up points and dominate teams where we have a talent advantage and keep it close when we're close to another team's talent level. But look at certain games where we got molly whopped the last 3 years.

ND 2019
Clemson 2019
Miami 2019
Kentucky 2019
Miami 2020
Ole Miss 2021
Kentucky 2021

Games where we just needed depth and talent and got blown up by bigger, faster, and deeper teams. We couldn't out run them with speed and strategy like the others, as they all had guys just as fast combined with bigger guys blocking and pass rushing.

In 2019 we had some experienced guys and we won the BC, Wake, & UVA games which could've gone the other way.

In 2020 we're a lot younger and lost the Wake, UVA, & Clemson games that were close late. (And UCF just made 1 more mistake)

The 2020 ND game and 2021 Clemson games were examples of teams that weren't effective on offense and we were able to hold our own for most of the game even at a large talent disadvantage.

But one thing is forsure, we've struggled closing games the last 3 years and you can tell it's just due to being tired and not having top level depth. In 2019, we had some decent upperclassmen that could close the games with their experience and in 2021 we aren't as experienced.

Looking at how we've lost, I think you have to look at some factors and see if they're improving.

The depth and size issues on defense and OLine? Bobby left junk and we're slowly getting better. It wasn't great this year, but I think we all forget how bad it was just 2-3 years ago. The line actually held their own and didn't commit dumb penalties all the time. And guess what? We did it without our 2 best defensive players and we're returning a lot more guys.

I think Tutu, Dez, Becton and Hawkins covered a lot of issues up in year 1. WE lost all that explosion, but overall the depth and balance improved. All the young skill players will be back. The line is solid the next few years. Would like to make sure the QB spot is taken care of, but the issues inherited are improving. We replaced A LOT of production at the skill spots and managed to hang tough and a lot of promise.

So we're a 6-6 team. We return a bunch of players. We trade Ole Miss for UCF that could add a win. Can we flip 2 of UVA, NC State, and Wake Forrest into the win column? If we hold serve on the others, that's easily a 8 or 9 win team and at worst a 7 win team. We flip Duke for Pitt, but they'll be losing their QB. I mean experienced teams GET BETTER. We lost a bunch of tight games. We got killed by 2 SEC teams and one of them will be off the schedule. If success next year is defined by UK being our Super Bowl, then maybe Satt isn't the guy. But I don't see any reason to not think a team that had 4 losses that were 1 possession 4th quarter games won't be more battle tested a year later and flip those into wins?

Now if we lose Malik, that's not ideal. But I'm not down because I didn't have unreasonable expectations of this team. Seriously, if Malik returns, do you think we'll get worse?
I’ll take the bait. We will play one less home game next year. We don’t play Ole Miss or another SeC team but we play UCF in Orlando. We play an average USF. We trade EKU for James Madison who is currently 10-1. They have been pretty dominant in FCS. Maybe we beat them but it won’t be like playing EKU. Like you said we give up playing Duke for Pitt. When you say a team loses their QB, that’s not a big deal anymore with the portal. Clemson again but at Clemson. We play UK in Lessington and no way I’m predicting a win there. So I say 6-6 is more likely than 8-4.

I’ll take the bait. We will play one less home game next year. We don’t play Ole Miss or another SeC team but we play UCF in Orlando. We play an average USF. We trade EKU for James Madison who is currently 10-1. They have been pretty dominant in FCS. Maybe we beat them but it won’t be like playing EKU. Like you said we give up playing Duke for Pitt. When you say a team loses their QB, that’s not a big deal anymore with the portal. Clemson again but at Clemson. We play UK in Lessington and no way I’m predicting a win there. So I say 6-6 is more likely than 8-4.
I just see it as this years team, but with more depth and experience.

Braden Smith will be back, who was maybe our best wideout. Add in Watkins, Marshall, Harrell, and Bruce being another year older. Marshon Ford again. That unit is in great shape. 8 of the 9 offensive linemen in our 2 deep will return, and if Bently is gone? Hudson will be a fine replacement. Mitchell and Cooley are both back and will be way better. Cunningham in year 5 as one of the best returning QBs in the nation? Tell me how that won't be one of the best offensive units in Power 5, because returning talent alone.

Defense is still a work in process. But Clark will be back and throwing him in there with Greedy Vance and Chandler Jones gives you hope that unit can be a lot more stable. Maybe need some help at safety, but Perry and Minkins I think can grow into roles. Puryear, Clark, and Digby on the line will be fun again. Abdulla looked great and we'll have Monty Montgomery back. Dorrian Jones was getting better. Some holes, but a lot of returning talent again and it's probably the most talented on defense we've been since the 2016 collapse.

I see an offense that can be lethal and WILL improve with some returning talent. I see a defense with returning talent and playmakers, not the best, but in the ACC we don't need them to be great. Maybe make a change and add an innovative OC/QB coach to add some more organization to the offense.

This is a young team that went 6-6 and 4 losses could've been wins. We were in 10 of 12 games. Close games. Young teams in close games become experienced teams that close out and win those games.

I see an offense that can be lethal and WILL improve with some returning talent. I see a defense with returning talent and playmakers, not the best, but in the ACC we don't need them to be great. Maybe make a change and add an innovative OC/QB coach to add some more organization to the offense.

This is a young team that went 6-6 and 4 losses could've been wins. We were in 10 of 12 games. Close games. Young teams in close games become experienced teams that close out and win those games.

I agree with all of this enough to be fine with Satterfield back another year. To me it is more likely that Louisville has a 9-3 type of season next year with Satterfield than we FARRR that sonofabeyitch and make some splash hire with instant success. I have concerns sure but I feel better about the way things are than starting a new rebuild.

Reactions: LeFors4Ever
What has Satterfield ever done to endear himself to the community? He doesn’t do TV or radio ads. He not even on a billboard. As dead fish as Petrino and Charlie were, they were still visible to the community. Chris Mack does local spots. Even Rick Pitino did adds for Rally’s….can you picture Pitino even going near a Rally’s??

I think he’s been in over his head since he’s been here. He may be a very nice man, but he’s just not a right fit for here.

Reactions: BPGhost
What has Satterfield ever done to endear himself to the community? He doesn’t do TV or radio ads. He not even on a billboard. As dead fish as Petrino and Charlie were, they were still visible to the community. Chris Mack does local spots. Even Rick Pitino did adds for Rally’s….can you picture Pitino even going near a Rally’s??

I think he’s been in over his head since he’s been here. He may be a very nice man, but he’s just not a right fit for here.

That is a good point. Chris Mack has the the Mack Family Foundation that does a lot with schools. Petrino has a foundation that gave generously to Kosair. If Satterfield has a foundation I’m not aware of it. He’s surely making enough that he could be philanthropic - perhaps he is and he just does it quietly which would be commendable.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Depending on recruiting the state of KY for a majority of your players will get you beat worse than what you saw tonight.

There may be....I say may be 2-3 P5 caliber players in this state in any given year.

Normally the best of those are from Jefferson County and the last 4 years....UK has been getting the lions share of the best of them.

TY previous staff for not making those few guys a priority to get and UK scooped them up. But you can't be fooled into thinking there are many Bush's and Brohm's that come along every year. It is more like every 2nd decade or so.

UofL should recruit and build a wall around JC/Louisville to get those 2 or 3 P5 types every year though. And its past time to start hitting Florida hard again. JMHO.
Kentucky has 20 ky kids on their roster so that is factually incorrect.

In all seriousness, Scott Andy Griffith-field types don't market well in this city lol

• Haha
Reactions: CommodoreCard
Kentucky has 20 ky kids on their roster so that is factually incorrect.
How many of those 20 are Bush or Brohm caliber players?
How many of those 20 are scholarship players?
How many of those 20 are starters or game changers?
You are factually incomplete and short on context.

I'll look it up for argument sake.

Austin Dotson from Belfry. Solid offensive line player, but not great
JJ Weaver is solid and was a 4 star (Louisville)
Jared Casey was a 4 star and out. (Louisville)
Tae Tae Crumes isn't getting on the field (Louisville)
Eli Cox was a solid offensive line player
John Young is a great 4 star prospect (Louisville)
Vito Tisdale was a really solid prospect and was a 4 star at one point
Beau Allen is their 2nd string QB and was a 4 star
Octavious Oxendine looks like a star and he was a 4 star
Isaiah Cummings gets a lot of run at Tight End for them (Louisville)
Jager Burton was a top line prospect and a freshman 4-star
Dekel Crowdus was a 4 star on TOS' service
Jordan Dingle was a solid prospect as a tight-end, got his brother too
La'Vell Wright was a solid back at North Hardin and ate us in garbage time
Wan'dale Robinson was a highly touted 4 star and current NFL prospect

They currently have committed for 2022
Grant Bingham a 4 star tackle from Paintsville
Dane Key a 4 star receiver from Lexington
Trevon Longmire a 3 star athlete from Corbin

That's not all of their guys, but it looks like the rest of the state, specifically Lexington, is outproducing the city of Louisville in talent. They didn't just get the mountains, they're getting E-Town, Frankford, NKY, BG, and their own city is stepping up. We just haven't gotten into areas we should have.

Reactions: Mayoman
You said ky only had 2 or 3 players worthy of being on a P5 team whether they are Bush or Brohm is irrelevant. You are wrong that’s all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT