ADVERTISEMENT

Russ Smith

WHAT ABOUT BUTCH BEARD, DEREK SMITH, MILT WAGNER, DEJAUN WHEAT. JUST TO NAME A FEW I BELIEVE DESERVE IT BEFORE RUSS SMITH

Reactions: rh62531
WHAT ABOUT BUTCH BEARD, DEREK SMITH, MILT WAGNER, DEJAUN WHEAT. JUST TO NAME A FEW I BELIEVE DESERVE IT BEFORE RUSS SMITH

None of those guys was a consensus All American like Russ was. I believe that is requirement (perhaps unwritten) in order to have your number retired.

Reactions: nccardfan
To be eligible for retirement of a player’s number, the player must be, at minimum, a consensus All-America pick,” Kenny Klein told Card Game. Only four players in UofL basketball history have earned the honor. They are Pervis Ellison (42), Darrell Griffith (35), Charlie Tyra (8) and Wes Unseld (31).

There are also specific criteria that must be met to have jersey honored. Klein says for a player’s jersey or number to be honored, the player must meet at least one of the following criteria:

• Must be named to an All-America first, second or third team of a national publication or wire service; an Academic All-America selection; or be named conference player of the year;
  • Or must appear in the Top 10 of at least four U of L career statistical categories;
  • Or may be selected for the honor by a blue ribbon panel if he played prior to 1960. The last criteria is included as to not diminish the accomplishments of earlier years, realizing that statistical comparisons may be inconclusive.

UL has been blessed with so many great BB players, and some of those aforementioned deserve a lot of credit for their accomplishments while they were here. Wheat was always one of my favorites, right along with Russ.

WTS, Beard, Wagner, Payne and Eaves have made it abundantly clear, they have very little interest in advancing this University now.

I was in Lexington when Butch played for Breckinridge Co as a Junior, and lost to my Unseld-led Seneca team. Their respective decisions to select UL was huge, and both were great ambassadors of this University while on campus. I knew Wes really well in HS, and for the life of me, I can never understand what prompted both he and Butch to distance themselves from UL after graduation. Dromo recruited both and I know that John would do anything for either one while here in Louisville or after they left. Sad story, as Wes never shared his story prior to his passing.

Reactions: Sawyer and earsky
UL has been blessed with so many great BB players, and some of those aforementioned deserve a lot of credit for their accomplishments while they were here. Wheat was always one of my favorites, right along with Russ.

WTS, Beard, Wagner, Payne and Eaves have made it abundantly clear, they have very little interest in advancing this University now.

I was in Lexington when Butch played for Breckinridge Co as a Junior, and lost to my Unseld-led Seneca team. Their respective decisions to select UL was huge, and both were great ambassadors of this University while on campus. I knew Wes really well in HS, and for the life of me, I can never understand what prompted both he and Butch to distance themselves from UL after graduation. Dromo recruited both and I know that John would do anything for either one while here in Louisville or after they left. Sad story, as Wes never shared his story prior to his passing.
Totally agree. Beard has elected to disassociate himself with UL. Very sad because as a young fan I idolized the guy. He and Eaves cannot accept anything "post" Bill Olsen that has happened at UL. Bill Olsen was a very good AD at UL and created many programs that grew the athletic department. When Tom Jurich stepped in he took the AD to the next level. Without the foundation Olsen had laid that would not have been possible.

Reactions: rh62531 and SoulSr
To be eligible for retirement of a player’s number, the player must be, at minimum, a consensus All-America pick,” Kenny Klein told Card Game. Only four players in UofL basketball history have earned the honor. They are Pervis Ellison (42), Darrell Griffith (35), Charlie Tyra (8) and Wes Unseld (31).

There are also specific criteria that must be met to have jersey honored. Klein says for a player’s jersey or number to be honored, the player must meet at least one of the following criteria:

• Must be named to an All-America first, second or third team of a national publication or wire service; an Academic All-America selection; or be named conference player of the year;
  • Or must appear in the Top 10 of at least four U of L career statistical categories;
  • Or may be selected for the honor by a blue ribbon panel if he played prior to 1960. The last criteria is included as to not diminish the accomplishments of earlier years, realizing that statistical comparisons may be inconclusive.
My favorite player Dejuan Wheat should be hanging in the rafters.

-3rd team NABC
-2nd team Sporting News
-top 8 in scoring, assists, steals, and 3 point field goals made
-the first player in NCAA Division I history to amass career totals of at least 2,000 points, 450 assists, 300 three-point field goals and 200 steals.
-hometown kid that led his team to the elite 8 in 1997 with Damion Dantzler as our center lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT