ADVERTISEMENT

Will Smith - PAID

You beat me to it. I believe two years ago was at $720K (rookie contract), then upgraded to $5.25mil last year. Now this. More power to Will. Great news!
GO CARDS,,,

I shook Will's hand at a game years ago. He looked so young and I could never forsee him being a $140 million dollar man in a few years. Just proves what hard work and God giving talent can take you.

Reactions: Bardman
10 yr / $140 million from the Dodgers. Will Smith Performance Center coming to a left field near you?
Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

10 yr / $140 million from the Dodgers. Will Smith Performance Center coming to a left field near you?
Can someone remind me why the hold up on the new facility? It's been about 3 years since Kroger offered to donate $3M for the project.

https://gocards.com/news/2021/4/26/baseball-kroger-provides-3-million-gift-to-uofl-athletics

Is it this little nugget:

The generous gift will be paid over 10 years, with $300,000 contributed each year. UofL will continue to seek additional gifts prior to breaking ground on the approximately $12 million facility.

No additional funding has been secured? I recall last year Mac and Heird had a polite exchange of words about it, but nothing happened. It would be pretty cool if Will further bank rolled the project and put his name on it.

Reactions: Mayoman
The way I understood it was they used that money for something else. Don't know if that's true or not.

The last update I saw was related to the high increase in cost of construction materials. This project was spec'd out pre-covid at a cost of $12 million. PVC, steel, and lumber all saw astronomical increases during and post-Covid. I'm not even sure they have begun to look at it again. What was a $12 million dollar facility could have easily escalated to $30 million in a short time.

The last update I saw was related to the high increase in cost of construction materials. This project was spec'd out pre-covid at a cost of $12 million. PVC, steel, and lumber all saw astronomical increases during and post-Covid. I'm not even sure they have begun to look at it again. What was a $12 million dollar facility could have easily escalated to $30 million in a short time.
That's an excellent point. Cost of construction has sky rocketed. Of course, that's not stopping the university from building a $90M engineering hub. I'm aware athletics and academia have separate budgets.

So that void needs to be filled...by someone or lots of someones .

Reactions: Bardman
I thought so too, but maybe he wanted to stay in LA. Miller and Detmers are ridiculous their next contracts will be huge. God Covid screwed up that year.

I would guess if we don’t hear about the facilty next year it isn’t happening. Former players is the only way it gets built.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT