ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals recruiting rankings 1/28/15

I'm surprised there's not any talk on here about UK's imploding recruiting class. When they lost Harris it all started to come apart. Now they lost two stellar recruits apparently to Michigan State.

Their fans talk all off-season about star ratings, now they don't even have that to hang their hats on.

I guess the 6-game losing streak and the failure to bring Harris in from the backyard have snowballed into this. In the end, it appears Stoops actually had to show something on the football field in his first 2 years to maintain momentum and really didn't. I know it's not his fault what he inherited, but the results have dealt a serious blow.

And really, it's possible to pull some big upsets in college football if you're truly a great coach instead of just "okay". In Strong's second year, he beat a 10-win West Virginia team in Morgantown, that went on to win the Orange Bowl. Who did Stoops beat his second year? A terrible SC?

I think it just took too long for Stoops to turn the mess around and now the window is closing. He is really going to have to make big strides this year with the talent he accumulated over the past 2 years, or no one else with any talent is going to want to go there.

The funny thing is, UK will probably keep Stoops around for several more years, even though the writing is on the wall now. They always do. Just like with Bill Curry.

Why the heck doesn't UNC win more? With their recruiting success, they should be in the picture for conference championships every year.

Originally posted by Mike'sMarbles:
I'm surprised there's not any talk on here about UK's imploding recruiting class. When they lost Harris it all started to come apart. Now they lost two stellar recruits apparently to Michigan State.

Their fans talk all off-season about star ratings, now they don't even have that to hang their hats on.

I guess the 6-game losing streak and the failure to bring Harris in from the backyard have snowballed into this. In the end, it appears Stoops actually had to show something on the football field in his first 2 years to maintain momentum and really didn't. I know it's not his fault what he inherited, but the results have dealt a serious blow.

And really, it's possible to pull some big upsets in college football if you're truly a great coach instead of just "okay". In Strong's second year, he beat a 10-win West Virginia team in Morgantown, that went on to win the Orange Bowl. Who did Stoops beat his second year? A terrible SC?

I think it just took too long for Stoops to turn the mess around and now the window is closing. He is really going to have to make big strides this year with the talent he accumulated over the past 2 years, or no one else with any talent is going to want to go there.

The funny thing is, UK will probably keep Stoops around for several more years, even though the writing is on the wall now. They always do. Just like with Bill Curry.
Losing out on Harris is just one reason Uk's class has started falling apart. Losing Brown(ranked a top 50 recruiter) when UK did also hurt. The amount of time it took to make an OC hire also hurt. Still not having a ST coach also hurts. OSU, AU, and MSU coming after guys late in the process that the UK staff had gotten in on early hurt. Ending the season the way UK did hurt.

UK beat every team they were favored against, and beat one team they were dogs against. They went over on the over/under on predicted wins for the season. If UK doesn't make a bowl this season it will really hurt recruiting for the 16 class. If UK does make a bowl they will likely bring in another top 25 class.

This current class is ranked where it is because of the low number of commits, not because of lack of talent. UK is still in on some good prospects. Hopefully they land them. I expect they'll reach some and take some guys that are questionable, but I really hope they keep that to a minimum and save the scholarships for the next class and/or transfers.

As for hanging our hats on star ratings, well it sits at 3.13. Pretty respectable for a coach coming off two and five win seasons.

Didn't you know? The replacements for the de-commits are better. e.g. "We didn't want them anyway".

Originally posted by W.W.W.:

Losing out on Harris is just one reason Uk's class has started falling apart. Losing Brown(ranked a top 50 recruiter) when UK did also hurt. The amount of time it took to make an OC hire also hurt. Still not having a ST coach also hurts. OSU, AU, and MSU coming after guys late in the process that the UK staff had gotten in on early hurt. Ending the season the way UK did hurt.

UK beat every team they were favored against, and beat one team they were dogs against. They went over on the over/under on predicted wins for the season. If UK doesn't make a bowl this season it will really hurt recruiting for the 16 class. If UK does make a bowl they will likely bring in another top 25 class.

This current class is ranked where it is because of the low number of commits, not because of lack of talent. UK is still in on some good prospects. Hopefully they land them. I expect they'll reach some and take some guys that are questionable, but I really hope they keep that to a minimum and save the scholarships for the next class and/or transfers.

As for hanging our hats on star ratings, well it sits at 3.13. Pretty respectable for a coach coming off two and five win seasons.
Recruits will be lining up to play for Stupes if he gets one more (built in) win and makes the Birmingham Bowl.

Originally posted by CardFan1130:

Recruits will be lining up to play for Stupes if he gets one more (built in) win and makes the Birmingham Bowl.
Stoops had the 17th ranked class in 2014 cycle coming off two wins, and you doubt he'd be able to bring in a class ranking in the top 25 if UK makes a bowl?

One reason this class has taken a hit for UK is that it doesn't have a vocal leader keeping guys together. The 14 class had that leader(Barker), and the 16 class has that guy in the 2nd ranked Center in the nation Drake Jackson. He's recruiting really hard for UK, and his efforts have already had an impact.

Stoops had the 17th ranked class in 2014 cycle coming off two wins, and you doubt he'd be able to bring in a class ranking in the top 25 if UK makes a bowl?

One reason this class has taken a hit for UK is that it doesn't have a vocal leader keeping guys together. The 14 class had that leader(Barker), and the 16 class has that guy in the 2nd ranked Center in the nation Drake Jackson. He's recruiting really hard for UK, and his efforts have already had an impact.
What makes YOU think Stoops would bring in a higher ranked class if UK DID go to a bowl game? UK currently has the 50th ranked recruiting class after coming within 1 game (against UofL
wink.r191677.gif
) of reaching that goal of a bowl. It would appear that UK has an inverse relationship between wins and recruiting. More wins = fewer highly ranked recruits. Will this year's class be the anomaly or was last year's?

Originally posted by CardFan1130:

One reason this class has taken a hit for UK is that it doesn't have a vocal leader keeping guys together. The 14 class had that leader(Barker),
Nothing screams leader like a kid who's had 2 off field incidents before ever taking a snap. Newsflash for ya: Just because a kid tweets a lot and runs his mouth about how much he hates UL does not make him a leader. Kid is already a bust. It won't get better. You rubes do this to yourselves so many times that I've lost count. Weren't you the same idiots who said Towles > Teddy?

If I've said it once I've said it a million times: Cayut fans (especially foosball fans) are the dumbest, most delusional in the country. You've been repeating the same refrain of bigger, faster, stronger for 40 years and it never, ever works out the way you planned. People wouldn't hate you as much if you knew your place----the bottom. No one takes you seriously; rather, you're a laughingstock. But, but but Drew Barker!!!!. . . and Stoops Troops!
This post was edited on 1/29 9:13 AM by CardFan1130

WWW's posts are so far from being in tune with what I'm observing that I don't even know what to say. I know you guys have to take on a certain amount of blind faith just to get through the long years of losing, but that was really something.

UK fans had a great idea a few years ago, boycott. Their big mistake was coming back to the fold before seeing a winner. Barnhart totally outmaneuvered you guys on that one.

WWW's posts are so far from being in tune with what I'm observing that I don't even know what to say. I know you guys have to take on a certain amount of blind faith just to get through the long years of losing, but that was really something.

UK fans had a great idea a few years ago, boycott. Their big mistake was coming back to the fold before seeing a winner. Barnhart totally outmaneuvered you guys on that one.
How is it blind faith? Stoops has proven he's an ace recruiter. Yes, this class has somewhat fallen apart, but they still have a 3.13 average star ranking.

This season had several bad events happen almost simultaneously, and I don't forsee those events happening again. Will UK miss out on a 5* in state RB next season? I doubt it. Will UK lose their OC at peak recruiting season? I doubt it. Will UK not have a ST coach during this time next year? I doubt it. Will UK not have a vocal leader in the 16 class? No, they already have one.

No doubt, losing the last 6 hurt UK, but that just compounded everything else. Funny that Stoops has had two amazing classes(respectively speaking), and this class is being seen as a failure despite star rating, and the fact that this class isn't finished. I'm guilty of that thinking as well, but I was referring to class ranking.

This class will still finish high in star rating, even if it isn't a big class. I can deal with that. I'd rather the staff leave the scholarships for next year and transfers than fill it out just to fill it out.

How is it blind faith? Stoops has proven he's an ace recruiter. Yes, this class has somewhat fallen apart, but they still have a 3.13 average star ranking.

This season had several bad events happen almost simultaneously, and I don't forsee those events happening again. Will UK miss out on a 5* in state RB next season? I doubt it. Will UK lose their OC at peak recruiting season? I doubt it. Will UK not have a ST coach during this time next year? I doubt it. Will UK not have a vocal leader in the 16 class? No, they already have one.

No doubt, losing the last 6 hurt UK, but that just compounded everything else. Funny that Stoops has had two amazing classes(respectively speaking), and this class is being seen as a failure despite star rating, and the fact that this class isn't finished. I'm guilty of that thinking as well, but I was referring to class ranking.

This class will still finish high in star rating, even if it isn't a big class. I can deal with that. I'd rather the staff leave the scholarships for next year and transfers than fill it out just to fill it out.
Be careful what you wish for.....you just might get it. Curse of the 'Bear' and all that. If uk loses any more.....what then???

It is blind faith when you fail to realize that no matter how well Stoops recruits his classes will always be ranked in the lower half of the SEC. The SEC has good coaches throughout the conference. Stoops marketing and personality will only take him so far. The UK fan base thinks UK is the only school that has fantastic one of kind training program because that is the crap UK coaches are selling. All that stuff is window dressing. At the end of the day can he coach these players up? That is all that matters. Can he outcoach the rest of the coaches on his schedule?

Blind faith is believing at this point in Stoops career he is a good coach. A good coach or a well coached team doesn't get destroyed 41-3, 63-31, and 50-16. A good coach may take one game on the chin like that but not 3. It doesn't happen. Keep in mind UK lost to Louisville against their 3rd string QB. Once Louisville adjusted and started throwing the ball no adjustment came from Stoops. His original game plan was thrown out the window when Louisville went to empty sets. He was unable to make the necessary adjustments.

Blind faith is watching a team come into Louisville an act like a bunch of idiots and saying it was OK because they needed to play with an edge. When a coach goes to those type of antics to try to win a game that is sign of desperation it sure isn't a sign of good coaching. When you encourage your players to act like that in a game you see the results when you put them in the public.

UK has 8 home games next year they should go to a bowl if they don't then you know you don't have the right coach.

Originally posted by thecycle21:
It is blind faith when you fail to realize that no matter how well Stoops recruits his classes will always be ranked in the lower half of the SEC. The SEC has good coaches throughout the conference. Stoops marketing and personality will only take him so far. The UK fan base thinks UK is the only school that has fantastic one of kind training program because that is the crap UK coaches are selling. All that stuff is window dressing. At the end of the day can he coach these players up? That is all that matters. Can he outcoach the rest of the coaches on his schedule?

Blind faith is believing at this point in Stoops career he is a good coach. A good coach or a well coached team doesn't get destroyed 41-3, 63-31, and 50-16. A good coach may take one game on the chin like that but not 3. It doesn't happen. Keep in mind UK lost to Louisville against their 3rd string QB. Once Louisville adjusted and started throwing the ball no adjustment came from Stoops. His original game plan was thrown out the window when Louisville went to empty sets. He was unable to make the necessary adjustments.

Blind faith is watching a team come into Louisville an act like a bunch of idiots and saying it was OK because they needed to play with an edge. When a coach goes to those type of antics to try to win a game that is sign of desperation it sure isn't a sign of good coaching. When you encourage your players to act like that in a game you see the results when you put them in the public.

UK has 8 home games next year they should go to a bowl if they don't then you know you don't have the right coach.
Do you have quotes saying Stoops encouraged it, or saying that it was ok? Regardless, it's football, and sometimes those things happen. Like in 2010 when UofL almost got into a fight with Southern Miss during a pre-game event dance off. Or when UofL and UVA almost got into a brawl this year. Or when UofL and UGA almost got into it during the second quarter of the Belk Bowl.

UK doesn't have a one of a kind training program, but it is only one of a handful of colleges using that type of program. I can post articles if you'd like.

Finally, Petrino lost games 49-14, 52-10, 38-7 in one season at Arkansas. Strong lost games 41-7, 23-0, 48-10, and 31-7 in one season at Texas. Bill Snyder(multiple Coach of the Year winner) lost games 45-8, 34-7, and 64-3 in one season at KSU. Gary Pinkel(SEC Coach of the Year winner) lost games 41-20, 31-10, 42-10, and 59-29 in one season at Mizzou. Not saying Stoops is as good of a coach as those guys, but to cite the scores as you did as some sort of evidence he's a bad coach just doesn't hold up. Especially as a second year head coach.

An ACE RECRUITER????
laugh.r191677.gif

Petrino and Strong were in their first year when they took those losses. Stoops is in his second and those losses were against average teams in TN and LSU. Both of those guys had already shown they were good coaches. My point was UK fans have bought into Stoops purely off recruiting because nothing on the field suggest he is a good coach as of yet.

UK 's training program is better than other universities training programs exactly what research backs up that statement.. Post the research that shows UK training program is better than Louisville or any other program in Division I football. Again, because UK is doing something different UK fans blindly think it is better. It is like a Louisville saying our strength program is great because Louisville put proganda saying so.

Lastly, it is a little different when a team comes in to the visiting stadium before the game has even started and intentionally started stuff on Louisville's side of the field. In all the cases you used those dust ups started in the heat of competition not before. Stoops set the tone that day period.

Originally posted by thecycle21:
Petrino and Strong were in their first year when they took those losses. Stoops is in his second and those losses were against average teams in TN and LSU. Both of those guys had already shown they were good coaches. My point was UK fans have bought into Stoops purely off recruiting because nothing on the field suggest he is a good coach as of yet.

UK 's training program is better than other universities training programs exactly what research backs up that statement.. Post the research that shows UK training program is better than Louisville or any other program in Division I football. Again, because UK is doing something different UK fans blindly think it is better. It is like a Louisville saying our strength program is great because Louisville put proganda saying so.

Lastly, it is a little different when a team comes in to the visiting stadium before the game has even started and intentionally started stuff on Louisville's side of the field. In all the cases you used those dust ups started in the heat of competition not before. Stoops set the tone that day period.
You used scores to present Stoops as a bad coach. Saying that a good coach wouldn't have three losses like that in a season. I just countered your post. Yes, it was Strong's and Petrino's first year at those programs, but I would argue their rosters were better their first years at those programs than what Stoops had in his second year at UK. I would also argue their schedules were easier, especially Strong at Texas. You also conveniently ignored my other examples.

I didn't say UK's S&C program was better, just that it was unique to college. Soccer and rugby teams have been using it for years, and NFL teams are starting to pick up on it.

Lastly, not all the cases I cited were dust ups in the heat of competition. Unless you count a dance off at a pregame event.

Originally posted by REDWAVEALERT:

An ACE RECRUITER????
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/30 9:39 PM by Mike'sMarbles
Yes, ace recruiter. We have two classes to judge Stoops on in regards to recruiting. With his first class he inherited a two win team, with a recruiting class ranked in the 70s when he took over. In a month and a half he finished the class ranked 29th, the best ever at UK. His second class came after his first season, in which UK finished 2-10, ranked at 17th. Again, the best in UK history.

While this current class has lost some, it's still not over. UK is still in on some great players, and still has an average star rating over 3.

So, if he's not an ace recruiter, what would you call him?

What calls Stupes' coaching ability into question is pretty simple...

He has a background on defense, yet his defense at LPT is bad and getting worse. Ranked 70-something last year in total defense, and worse statistically than his first year.

Petrino's always ended up with a good offense. Strong has a good defense. If the head coach can't field a team that's good on his side of the ball, that portends bad $hit for the future.

Recruiting that's marginally better won't overcome that. Nor will playing in a good conference and against any good teams OOC.

And now he wants an offensive coordinator who will try to control the ball and the clock against SEC teams. Yeah, good luck with that.

Just a matter of time until the wheels come all the way off. Again.

LPT Football: Stupes, we barely knew ya...

This post was edited on 1/31 3:48 AM by zipp

I see some of my fellow UofL fans are getting sucked into having a running dialogue with some uk poster.

What's wrong with you guys? Just ignore him and get on with your lives. Why do the moderators even let them post here?

You guys just keep responding and egging him on. UK fans aren't worth talking sports with. Why are you even acknowledging his existence? He should spend his time wondering if every single poster has him on ignore because he can't get anyone to respond to ANYTHING he says. Nope, you guys aren't strong enough for that, you just keep responding and feeding he troll.

UofL now 30th with the Peete verbal.

My apologies in not mentioning Clemson who is 3rd !

Originally posted by Lawyer Mike:
247 seems to think UK losses another commit to UNC. We shall see
That would be DE Jason Stowbridge...who did decommit from UK and committed to UNC today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT