ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Rodriguez Returns to Louisville for the first time in 18 years

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
18 years!

My oh my has time flown by since that game.

Rich Rod turned down Bama, ended up at Michigan, turned in for violations by his own players and fired, went to Arizona where he also was fired, and now he's finally back coaching at Jacksonville State. WVU as a program the next year was a game out of competing for the national title. A few coaches later and they're a Big 12 program today.

And as you all see Bobby Petrino and our 2006 Cards. Rutgers killed any BCS title hopes a few weeks later. Bobby went to the NFL and then quickly back to Arkansas, fired by Arkansas for an embarrassing scandal, goes to WKU for a year, then we give him a huge contract, he brings in Lamar and we reach new heights, he's fired after he tanks our program, he goes to Missouri State and a stint as Texas A&M OC, and now he's back at Arkansas as OC. Louisville? Well we won the Orange Bowl, Kragthorpe's era wasn't good, Charlie brought us back to the Sugar bowl, we went to the ACC, and had a Heisman winner since.

Oh and in that 2006 game? Our QB coach was Jeff Brohm. And our QB was Brian Brohm who is now our OC (A BIG DUH FOR ALL OF US FANS). I just wanted to type that out to show how crazy time can fly.

Want to know an interesting point about the difference of 2024 to 2006 of 18 years?
18 years before the 2006 was the 1988 season, where a man named Jay Gruden was our QB and it was Howard's first winning season at Louisville. Jeff Brohm was a senior in high school and had not committed to UofL. We hadn't won the Fiesta Bowl yet. We were still an independent program along with ND, Mami, FSU, WVU, Syracuse, South Carolina, VT, Pitt, BC, Penn State, and a school then known as Memphis State. We were a decade away from playing in Papa John's Cardinal stadium.

What a magical night in that stadium. The peak of my college years at UofL was that night. The way the stadium was 43,000, it just felt so packed and that night was the biggest example. And those Thursday night ESPN games bring back so much nostalgia.

18 years!

Rich Rod turned down Bama, ended up at Michigan, turned in for violations by his own players and fired, went to Arizona where he also was fired, and now he's finally back coaching at Jacksonville State. WVU as a program the next year was a game out of competing for the national title. A few coaches later and they're a Big 12 program today.

And as you all see Bobby Petrino and our 2006 Cards. Rutgers killed any BCS title hopes a few weeks later. Bobby went to the NFL and then quickly back to Arkansas, fired by Arkansas for an embarrassing scandal, goes to WKU for a year, then we give him a huge contract, he brings in Lamar and we reach new heights, he's fired after he tanks our program, he goes to Missouri State and a stint as Texas A&M OC, and now he's back at Arkansas as OC. Louisville? Well we won the Orange Bowl, Kragthorpe's era wasn't good, Charlie brought us back to the Sugar bowl, we went to the ACC, and had a Heisman winner since.

Oh and in that 2006 game? Our QB coach was Jeff Brohm. And our QB was Brian Brohm who is now our OC (A BIG DUH FOR ALL OF US FANS). I just wanted to type that out to show how crazy time can fly.

Want to know an interesting point about the difference of 2024 to 2006 of 18 years?
18 years before the 2006 was the 1988 season, where a man named Jay Gruden was our QB and it was Howard's first winning season at Louisville. Jeff Brohm was a senior in high school and had not committed to UofL. We hadn't won the Fiesta Bowl yet. We were still an independent program along with ND, Mami, FSU, WVU, Syracuse, South Carolina, VT, Pitt, BC, Penn State, and a school then known as Memphis State. We were a decade away from playing in Papa John's Cardinal stadium.

What a magical night in that stadium. The peak of my college years at UofL was that night. The way the stadium was 43,000, it just felt so packed and that night was the biggest example. And those Thursday night ESPN games bring back so much nostalgia.

Great post! Oh my gosh the years pass. There for all of it. Great great post.

18 years!

Oh the memories

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT