ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when…

Hey Coach Satterfield, member when we were upset about that conversation with South Carolina? Yeah…can we have a do-over on that? If USCjr is still interested…we’re kinda cool with that now. Good luck. 👍👋

Reactions: Knucklehank1
My memory ain't the best but I don't even remember everybody being upset. I'm pretty sure there was a group of meh but I could be wrong.

Either way he's pretty much toast though it is possible the ACC is so bad he could win enough to get another year.

My memory ain't the best but I don't even remember everybody being upset. I'm pretty sure there was a group of meh but I could be wrong.

Either way he's pretty much toast though it is possible the ACC is so bad he could win enough to get another year.
Yeah, good news he gets another year, bad news he gets another year…

He should've taken that job while he had the chance. If he fails here, it's over for his career as a major HC. When you go take an interview like that, you better go if you have the offer and don't come back.

Reactions: CardsFirst
He should've taken that job while he had the chance. If he fails here, it's over for his career as a major HC. When you go take an interview like that, you better go if you have the offer and don't come back.
And if he turns things around he's out of here at the first chance the way people have turned on him here.

Reactions: gruffmusic
And if he turns things around he's out of here at the first chance the way people have turned on him here.

He was a clown for how he handled the South Carolina situation. The first interview was misguided but so be it. The second foray, which may have been behind Tyra’s back, was idiotic both as it relates to the fanbase and to recruiting.

He was a clown for how he handled the South Carolina situation. The first interview was misguided but so be it. The second foray, which may have been behind Tyra’s back, was idiotic both as it relates to the fanbase and to recruiting.
Exactly. The dude literally started interviewing after one year + COVID. We get the nature of the biz but that's still pretty lame, and like you said it was just handled horribly. So I'm not down with the "blame the fans" in this instance. Fans hanging out on flight deck or the parking lot all game, or leaving at halftime? Yeah they deserve some sh!t for that.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Not the smartest thing he ever did but I blame alot of that on his greedy ass agent. Satterfield wasn't experienced enough to handle the fallout from it.

Don't get me wrong it pissed me off too but if he starts winning I'm over it. I just hope once he starts winning ( and I believe he will) he doesn't have a sour taste in his mouth from the fans reaction and hits the road for the first good offer..

Remember 2018? I do.

Ugly start but let’s give it a minute. Nothing compares to that Petrino led clusterhump.

Nothing to do right now but ride this year out as fans.

Reactions: Mayoman
Satterfield and his agent exercised exceedingly poor judgement; as the risk associated with interviewing without some indication that he would likely be hired at USC Jr. turns out to have devastating affect on his young career.

In truth, my only real concern is only for UL; Scott‘s indiscretion has already taken a toll on our recruiting Local and Commonwealth HS kids …….. their coaches, opponent coaches, parents and community will be reminding the kids that Satterfield does not want to be at UL, and will likely be gone on either his own volition or be fired.

As for Scott himself, the irony is that his own self-destructive decision to pursue another job, will affect his ability to attract the one ingredient he needs the most to be successful here; specifically recruiting talent. If he cannot turn this UL Program around, his chance of finding another P5 HC position will be greatly reduced.

My nature will not allow me to give up on UL Football, so I do hope Scott can overcome both the odds and the obstacles in salvaging this season ……. as both his career and our beloved football program are in danger.

I was shocked and a little hurt when it came out that he was interested in USCjr. Not only is it a lateral move but to secretly interview went against everything he had built his reputation as a HC on. Being an honest, down to earth coach.

Sadly for Louisville we probably got the worst possible outcome. Louisville would likely have been better off if he had taken the job than they are now with a coach struggling to recruit and struggling to develop the guys he has now. It will take a year or two for him to repair his reputation with recruits and fans and its unlikely he'll have enough success to last that long. So now the program is in a slow death waiting for a coach that tried to skip town to fail enough and become cheap enough to justify firing him.

Satterfield and his agent exercised exceedingly poor judgement; as the risk associated with interviewing without some indication that he would likely be hired at USC Jr. turns out to have devastating affect on his young career.

In truth, my only real concern is only for UL; Scott‘s indiscretion has already taken a toll on our recruiting Local and Commonwealth HS kids …….. their coaches, opponent coaches, parents and community will be reminding the kids that Satterfield does not want to be at UL, and will likely be gone on either his own volition or be fired.

As for Scott himself, the irony is that his own self-destructive decision to pursue another job, will affect his ability to attract the one ingredient he needs the most to be successful here; specifically recruiting talent. If he cannot turn this UL Program around, his chance of finding another P5 HC position will be greatly reduced.

My nature will not allow me to give up on UL Football, so I do hope Scott can overcome both the odds and the obstacles in salvaging this season ……. as both his career and our beloved football program are in danger.
It shows maybe he just does not understand this level. He was happy and sheltered in the North Carolina mountains. But here? Success and pressure lead him to make bad decisions.

And as I've said, he LEFT his alma-mater to take this job. So be clear, if he'd leave his home for here, he'd leave here for a bigger job. I've never had any doubts he does not like this area. I think it wasn't just USCjr., but the culture of that area. His idea of a dream job is a place like UNC or USCjr with the top level being Clemson. He's a Carolina boy and that's where he thinks he'll succeed.

S. Carolina is an SEC state flagship school they seat 80k and they fill it up. They haven't done well since Spurrier but they aren't too far removed from having #1 HS players like Clowney and Lattimore. The game day experience there dwarfs Papa John's I've experienced both. They don't have a party deck and fans leaving after the 3rd Q. And again, while we may want to be annoyed by all things SEC, they are SEC.

It's a hair splitting comparison maybe but the main point is the dude doesn't want to be here it's pretty obvious.

Will support these players and the school but it just doesn't look like this guy is gonna be around all that long for one reason or another. Probably time to start paying close attention to other HC and coordinators status as the season progresses.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
S. Carolina is an SEC state flagship school they seat 80k and they fill it up. They haven't done well since Spurrier but they aren't too far removed from having #1 HS players like Clowney and Lattimore. The game day experience there dwarfs Papa John's I've experienced both. They don't have a party deck and fans leaving after the 3rd Q. And again, while we may want to be annoyed by all things SEC, they are SEC.

It's a hair splitting comparison maybe but the main point is the dude doesn't want to be here it's pretty obvious.

Will support these players and the school but it just doesn't look like this guy is gonna be around all that long for one reason or another. Probably time to start paying close attention to other HC and coordinators status as the season progresses.

Dwayne Ledford would be my choice. He was success at NC State and UofL. He would probably hire actual OC's to call plays and be more of a CEO type coach, motivator, and recruiter. He would be a fresh face for the players and we wouldn't have to start over again as he helped build this roster and knows the recruits. I just think he's a future star coach that has good attention to detail and the personality to bring people in the fold.

Dwayne Ledford would be my choice. He was success at NC State and UofL. He would probably hire actual OC's to call plays and be more of a CEO type coach, motivator, and recruiter. He would be a fresh face for the players and we wouldn't have to start over again as he helped build this roster and knows the recruits. I just think he's a future star coach that has good attention to detail and the personality to bring people in the fold.
I wanted Ledford when news broke that CSS interviewed with USCjr but now I'm not so sure. We need coaches with recruiting roots deep into SEC territory.

I'm big on the idea that we need a high major coordinator.

- Dan Lanning - DC UGA
- Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami
- Bill O’Brien - OC Alabama
- Mike Elko - DC A&M
- Todd Monken - UGA OC

Any of those guys would be great hires in my opinion. Tony Elliott at Clemson would be great but seems unlikely. Jim Leonhard the DC at Wisconsin is an interesting choice as he's done great things for them but he's Wisconsin born and bread and an alumni and I think our hire has to come from preferably the SEC but I would accept a hire from the ACC too.

Of that list I like Monken, O'Brien because they've been HC before and O'Brien understands high major, elite football coaching at Penn State. Elko would round out my top 3.

Elko is a climber and would only be around until the next opportunity presents itself. He wouldn't be around long.

I wanted Ledford when news broke that CSS interviewed with USCjr but now I'm not so sure. We need coaches with recruiting roots deep into SEC territory.

I'm big on the idea that we need a high major coordinator.

- Dan Lanning - DC UGA
- Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami
- Bill O’Brien - OC Alabama
- Mike Elko - DC A&M
- Todd Monken - UGA OC

Any of those guys would be great hires in my opinion. Tony Elliott at Clemson would be great but seems unlikely. Jim Leonhard the DC at Wisconsin is an interesting choice as he's done great things for them but he's Wisconsin born and bread and an alumni and I think our hire has to come from preferably the SEC but I would accept a hire from the ACC too.

Of that list I like Monken, O'Brien because they've been HC before and O'Brien understands high major, elite football coaching at Penn State. Elko would round out my top 3.
Bill O'Brien being a Penn State and NFL Coach...now at Bama? He's not coming here, he's have a USC or Michigan come calling this offseason. He was a great coach during Penn State's probation and made multiple playoffs in the NFL, he's going to be a big get and we aren't on that list.

Rhett Lashlee would be a great pickup on that list. Offensive minded and Florida ties.

Elko is a climber and would only be around until the next opportunity presents itself. He wouldn't be around long.
Meh, his resume doesn't reflect that any more than the next guy. You have to be a climber early in your career since 2009 he was at Bowling Green for 4 years, then Wake for 3, then Notre Dame for 1 and now in his 3rd year at A&M. Those are all logical moves and doesn't reflect "job hopping" to me.

So where are you guys on Brohm?
I think if he's fired at Purdue you have to look at him. Brohm's biggest issue in my opinion is that he doesn't have a great track record of hiring a quality staff. Everyone was so upset when he turned us down in 18' and then Satterfield came in and put together a staff that was LIGHT YEARS better than any staff Brohm could have or has ever assembled. He did finally get rid of Nick Holt who had been with him for years and never had a good defense but he turned around and hired Bob Diaco the failed UConn coach and yearly job hopper and then fired him after like a year and then instead of hiring a quality DC he now has THREE guys with the title of CO-Defensive Coordinator - which is just ridiculous but he also has two guys with the title of CO- Offensive Coordinators. But his current staff is a whose-who of guys you've never heard of outside of Ron English who was a hot name about 15 years ago and whose done nothing notable since.

I don't think Brohm is a guy we pursue if he's still at Purdue but I think he's a guy who if available we'd have to have to meet with.

So where are you guys on Brohm?
Brohm is a guy you bring in if you're already in good shape. I think he can build on a great foundation.

But, I don't think Brohm is a guy that can build a program. Like when Bobby left, I don't think he would've been the guy to rebuild after Bobby, as his style was a bit too similar.

Brohm is a guy you bring in if you're already in good shape. I think he can build on a great foundation.

But, I don't think Brohm is a guy that can build a program. Like when Bobby left, I don't think he would've been the guy to rebuild after Bobby, as his style was a bit too similar.
Your last sentence doesn’t make sense. It wouldn’t have been a total rebuild if Brohm followed Bobby because they are similar offensive minds.

We should all acknowledge one thing right now; UL Football is between the proverbial “rock and a hard place”. Nothing to do with our HC and the present condition of our program until we know the outcome of this season.

One comment about the stadium experience at UL vs South Carolina …….. it has nothing to do with Satterfiel’s interest in that job. UL football fans will support a winner, and if you think USC Jr will support a loser ……. explain why they have struggled keeping their own HC? Clemson dominates the state of South Carolina in football. Ironically we know firsthand that UL can dominate the Commonwealth of KY in football, based on those periods where we dominated UK.

Coach Howard Schnellenberger was an urban sort of guy; grew up in Louisville and enjoyed his college HC success in Miami. UL needs someone who wants to live and retire in an Urban city like Louisville …….not looking to move to another job elsewhere.

UL will never be able to emulate the lifestyles and cultures in communities like Knoxville, Columbia, Gainesville, Athens, Lexington, Bloomington, Lafayette or Morgantown. Tyra needs to begin searching for a long term candidate who will dig into this community, develop relationships with the local HS Coaches and hire a recruiter who is comfortable working the south for talent …….something Howard used as his model for building UL as a football school.

Your last sentence doesn’t make sense. It wouldn’t have been a total rebuild if Brohm followed Bobby because they are similar offensive minds.
No it does.

Bobby left the program in shambles where we needed a complete rebuild on defense and the offensive line. We needed to build depth. There wasn't a good foundation left by Bobby and I don't think Jeff could've built it up.

One comment about the stadium experience at UL vs South Carolina …….. it has nothing to do with Satterfiel’s interest in that job. UL football fans will support a winner, and if you think USC Jr will support a loser ……. explain why they have struggled keeping their own HC? Clemson dominates the state of South Carolina in football. Ironically we know firsthand that UL can dominate the Commonwealth of KY in football, based on those periods where we dominated UK.
It's just different settings and a different environment/culture. I won't call it a night vs day type of experience, it's just a different draw and probably suits his interests more - which is why he interviewed with them. I don't know if he was actually offered that job, I'm thinking he wasn't, but not 100% sure. They also have larger crowds. It's just a different atmosphere.

And they do play in a much better league, it's just a different level of competition weekly. I believe many college coaches aspire to coach either in the NFL, or the SEC, or maybe one of the other power programs. But it is also true that South Carolina has not only struggled, but they aren't exactly making any wow hires since Spurrier.

Meh, his resume doesn't reflect that any more than the next guy. You have to be a climber early in your career since 2009 he was at Bowling Green for 4 years, then Wake for 3, then Notre Dame for 1 and now in his 3rd year at A&M. Those are all logical moves and doesn't reflect "job hopping" to me.
Elko left a bad taste in my mouth leaving ND after one very successful year. He got ND and A&M into a bidding war. ND finally said enough and Ekco left and Clark Lea took over and did a great job. I just don't see him as a long term solution as your head coach. You just don't know about coaches. The hot coach there may be the clown at your school. You just roll the dice and wait on the results.

You guys should take pride in your programs overall w/l record---363-309-7 in 60 years. SC record is 383-561-41. kentucky is 506-562-36. Can you say doormats in the SEC.;););)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
No it does.

Bobby left the program in shambles where we needed a complete rebuild on defense and the offensive line. We needed to build depth. There wasn't a good foundation left by Bobby and I don't think Jeff could've built it up.
In 2019, Purdue had the #4 ranked recruiting class in Big 10 behind the usuals but ahead of Mich St. Their class was ranked #21 overall in the country.

In 2019, Purdue had the #4 ranked recruiting class in Big 10 behind the usuals but ahead of Mich St. Their class was ranked #21 overall in the country.
In 2017 we were #29 and in 2018 we were #31 on Rivals in recruiting rankings. Recruiting rankings don't factor in the class size and balance. The point being that Brohm is still an offensive oriented coach like Bobby and still hasn't proven he can sustain a program long-term.

And I just looked, they were #26 on Rivals in 2019 with a full 26 man class. Avg. recruit was 3.04. So he's done decent at Purdue, but not amazing.

Our issue with Bobby was he only recruited skill players and ignored defense and the line. We all are sad that Bobby missed out on Rondale Moore, but we had Tutu and Dez. We needed a rebuild on defense and the line, not more skill guys and a new system of playcalling.

Jeff is a good coach, but maybe not what we needed.
I mean look at it like this, he's heavily invested in skill players and known as an offensive whiz. His brother is his offensive coordinator. He's been running through defensive coordinators and most of them are retreads and mid-major hires. Tell me again how that isn't really similar to Bobby? Not that Bobby was bad when he was rolling, but I think we did need a new way of thinking to build a program.

Less Bobby and more Charlie.

Charlie Strong was benefitted greatly by Clint Hurtt’s recruiting efforts. Our Sugar Bowl Team had as much size and talent across the board as any UL team ever. It was a blend of local Louisville kids and south FL kids.

Satterfield does not have anyone on his staff right now that has the level of recruiting strength that Strong, Hurtt or Vance Bedford brought to UL.

The best hire UL could make, would be pulling Vince Morrow away from UK. It will never happen, but until we improve our recruiting efforts, we will struggle in a big way.

In 2017 we were #29 and in 2018 we were #31 on Rivals in recruiting rankings. Recruiting rankings don't factor in the class size and balance. The point being that Brohm is still an offensive oriented coach like Bobby and still hasn't proven he can sustain a program long-term.

And I just looked, they were #26 on Rivals in 2019 with a full 26 man class. Avg. recruit was 3.04. So he's done decent at Purdue, but not amazing.

Our issue with Bobby was he only recruited skill players and ignored defense and the line. We all are sad that Bobby missed out on Rondale Moore, but we had Tutu and Dez. We needed a rebuild on defense and the line, not more skill guys and a new system of playcalling.

Jeff is a good coach, but maybe not what we needed.
I mean look at it like this, he's heavily invested in skill players and known as an offensive whiz. His brother is his offensive coordinator. He's been running through defensive coordinators and most of them are retreads and mid-major hires. Tell me again how that isn't really similar to Bobby? Not that Bobby was bad when he was rolling, but I think we did need a new way of thinking to build a program.

Less Bobby and more Charlie.
Don’t want Bobby or Charlie, but honestly just like the high flying Doctors of Dunk on the basketball court, we U of L fans are accustomed to the high scoring potent offensive attack. But that doesn’t mean we settle for the “bend, don’t break” defense we have had in the past (by the way, they always did break). We just haven’t had the right combo. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we need a Dabo - Venables combination, but we need a combination that emphasizes the best of both.

Reactions: Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT