ADVERTISEMENT

Regular Season is Over - Post Your Year End Reviews Here

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
The good, the bad.

The things you saw coming. Things that surprised you.

Things you didn't see you wish you did. Things you did see you wish you didn't.

I think you get it.

Thoughts?

Wish Igeihon got some more garbage minutes. He needs the work.

thought the team had a solid B season (met expectations - contend for conference title)

Surprised by David Johnson most of the year (his potential was unexpected)

Wish we had better guard play.

I saw a loss to uva coming today but appreciated our fight. That’ll be good for the upcoming conference and NCAA tourneys.

I think we end up a 4 seed unless we make the conference final.

It was a good season. We had a chance to win the ACC title and faded at the end .i think we will end up as 4 seed.
we will win 1-2 games in tournament. our guard play is our limitation.

I would give the season B.

thought Sam Williamson needed to shoot more. he has the best midrange jumper on the team and he shoots 47% from the floor.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
B
It is a bad mixture on talent. Johnson is the only guy with good enough handles the create for others. For a team that is totally reliant on the 3 that is a problem.

Extremely disappointed in the fact the offense is ran so poorly they really struggle against teams that get in their space. The screening, cutting and passing are average at best. That is a coaching and players issue.

Reactions: RomanOben
I saw this team with a high floor and a low ceiling. That’s what they’ve been.

If the ACC has been tougher, I’d give it a B. But it’s a C for me because of the inexcusable losses to GT and Clemson in that week.

We didn’t finish out strong in a season where we needed to finish strong.

Good question but too early for me...

I did my analysis based on postseason results.

NCAA appearance = meets expectations (C)
Sweet 16 = good season (B)
Final 4 = great season (A)

Footnote: No existing coach should be hired or fired based on a few games at the end of the year. But if you’re writing someone’s epitaph, those are the games that matter...

Reactions: Riddle-me-this
B+

Going 6-4 in last ten keeps this from being A range, but we had a really good reg season. That Virginia game was ours for the taking but it’s just tough to win a road game like that. Mack’s switch to small ball worked great, but I wish he would have stuck with it instead of plugging Enoch back in at the end, although he took a lot of contact on that pivotal play. Back to topic, we could finish the season in the A range barring a flame out.

I wonder if it's best for UofL to go with a small lineup...and then bring in the twin towers together.

All depends on matchups I think, but it may be too late to try this strategy. Malik and Enoch just never play together so who knows how that would turn out.

Regular Season Analysis:

- Team for the most part took advantage of a down ACC.
- Overall pace of play is just entirely too slow. Too much standing around (unnecessary dribbling) on offense and not enough ball/player movement... Hoping
this is mostly a talent issue and not the new consistent style of play going forward. There are many times when the Cards make themselves easy to defend.
- Poor and/or inconsistent guard play.
- Freshman did not contribute as much as I thought they would this season.

I thought there was going to be more contribution from the freshman... specifically Williamson. Pace of play has to be the most disappointing for me though. I think much of this is due to the style of defense and lack of movement on offense.

All that said... I'm still looking forward to the post-season. This team will have to get hot from 3 to make a deep run.

Coming into the season, I expected this team to look a lot like last year because it basically is the same team as last year, with some needed depth added from a talented freshmen class. Because of that, I expected a Top 25 kind of team that could do great but would struggle with adversity, which is pretty much what we got. I would not fall out of my chair if the Cards lose Thu night and in the first game of the NCAAT to end the season with 3 straight losses. Hope I'm wrong, but these guys have shown themselves to be weak mentally under the bright lights. This is a big change for me because the first half of the home game against UVA was the best basketball I've seen by anyone this year, a 10 win streak, and I set my expectations at Final Four at that point. They can be that team but I don't see them being tough enough to string wins together at this point.

Edit: Sutton is a beast and we're all going to miss him next year.

I give this regular season a B.

I liked that the Cards had a chance to win the ACC and the solid 10 game win streak with wins @ Duke and beating Virginia finally. They were also ranked all season long which is good.

What I didn't like was squandering the ACC crown away by losing to Clemson and especially GT. I also didn't like seeing the lethargic play in several games, especially in the losses.

A good post season run would definitely move the grade up or down for the full season though I know this thread was just to evaluate the regular season.

I'm going to wait and see how we do in this ACC tourney. IMO, this group of young men are capable of great BB. I'm looking for the focus we did see from them on the road for weeks during the regular season. Let's see how they do on a so called neutral floor this week.

Regular season, B.

Sit Malik in the ACC tourney, win a game or 2, take our 3 or 4 seed and make a run when it counts. Regular season is playing for a seed. Starting next Thursday everyone is 0-0 with a chance to go on a roll and thats all that matters!

I like that UofL finished the regular season in the top 15. That's where I thought they would be

You are right! We should be proud that we finished in the top 15. I guess our expectations as a fan base might have be a bit too much. Considering many things and the last 4 years of he!!.

I'd say a B- is about right. A good, not great season, though, nothing to write home about. I’d also like to point out this season has been our best season since arguably 13/14. It may not feel like it, but that’s due in large part to having huge preseason expectations. Nationally, a lot of folks predicted big things for this team, and despite just 7 losses (14 last year,) we’ve come up a bit short so far. Some strange losses, disappearing acts, they haven’t looked great at times- they make a run in the NCAAT, all of that is forgotten.

Last edited:
any thoughts on playing Perry over Kimble? here are some stats.

Kimble is shooting 36% FG. 27% from 3 point land. 68% from FT line. and getting 1.5 rebounds per game in about 21 minutes. and he's been turning the ball over more lately.

Perry is better at 39% FG, 39% 3 point, 75% FT line, 1.5 rebounds in 19 minutes. he takes a lot of bad shots early in the shot clock but that can be fixed.

Kimble is shooting 36% FG. 27% from 3 point land. 68% from FT line. and getting 1.5 rebounds per game in about 21 minutes. and he's been turning the ball over more lately.

Perry is better at 39% FG, 39% 3 point, 75% FT line, 1.5 rebounds in 19 minutes. he takes a lot of bad shots early in the shot clock but that can be fixed.
You’re not showing the most important stats which is why I think Mack plays Kimble over Perry. Assist to Turnover ratio. Perry is 1.47 and Fresh is 1.88. Unfortunately the mark of a good PG is 2.0.

B-

I knew guard play would be a ?

So much uninspired play this year.

I thought the Freshman would make a much larger impact.

I appreciate Kimble and his contribution but I’ve been saying this. I would much rather have Perry playing with DJ then Kimble. Perry is an underrated shooter and could get some solid looks with DJ running the point. Kimble has been so underwhelming. You would think a 5th year senior would be able to run the offense and not have multiple possessions a game where he just blatantly refuses to pass and dribbles the entire possession. It would be different if he was just a marksman from outside or a high level facilitator but I’m not sure what exactly he brings to the table. CC would’ve been so valuable to this team.

...I’d also like to point out this season has been our best season since arguably 13/14. It may not feel like it, but that’s due in large part to having huge preseason expectations. Nationally, a lot of folks predicted big things for this team, and despite just 7 losses (14 last year,) we’ve come up a bit short so far. Some strange losses, disappearing acts, they haven’t looked great at times- they make a run in the NCAAT, all of that is forgotten.
The 2014-15 team finished 4th in a much stronger league--one each at the 1-seed, 2-seed, and 3-seed lines; and two 4-seeds. The ACC also had the national champion that year.

That U of L team finished 27-9 and was an OT period away from the Final Four. This year's team has 7 losses and will also lose 9 games if it doesn't win the ACC or NCAA tourneys.

Granted, you said "arguably"... :cool:

Won some games we were not expected to...
Lost some game we were not expected to...

C = Average [those losses to bad teams REALLY hurt]

With this Top 10 recruiting class I expected much better, so I am "disappointed" in the results so far.

I give the regular season a B. Would have liked to see better performances in a couple games and definitely would have liked to see more contributions from some of the freshmen. I had no idea aidan would end up being as behind as he was but hope to see big improvements during the offseason.

If the CARDS go 0-1 in ACC and/or in the NCAA I will drop my rating to a C-. If they make the Round of 32 I would move up to B+, Sweet Sixteen A-, Elite 8 an A and Final Four or Championship game would get an A+ from me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT