ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I hope Coach Mack has one or two more players he plans to pull out of his hat prior to next season. I still think this team could benefit from one more frontcourt player or a long combo guard that could play multiple positions, can hit the boards, score inside, etc.

Given the circumstances, I think Coach Mack has scored a 9 out of 10 this off season with recruiting. I think he’ll have the Cards in the top 5 of recruiting each year after we get the past behind us.

I hope Coach Mack has one or two more players he plans to pull out of his hat prior to next season. I still think this team could benefit from one more frontcourt player or a long combo guard that could play multiple positions, can hit the boards, score inside, etc.

Given the circumstances, I think Coach Mack has scored a 9 out of 10 this off season with recruiting. I think he’ll have the Cards in the top 5 of recruiting each year after we get the past behind us.
Huge CCM fan, but I don't think we will ever be in the top 5 consistently. Some top 5 classes, but not consistently. The reason being we (and imo he) are not big on OAD like UK, Duke, UNC and KU. I prefer to look at FFs and EEs as my measuring stick. JMO

Huge CCM fan, but I don't think we will ever be in the top 5 consistently. Some top 5 classes, but not consistently. The reason being we (and imo he) are not big on OAD like UK, Duke, UNC and KU. I prefer to look at FFs and EEs as my measuring stick. JMO
That’s where you wrong. His top assistant was very much involved into the AAU scene. I believe some think that’s the only way we can compete.

That’s where you wrong. His top assistant was very much involved into the AAU scene. I believe some think that’s the only way we can compete.
Maybe. We still have NCAA's Sword of Damocles hanging over our head and who knows what will happen there or with the FBI investigation involving other schools.

I don't think he would have come here if he didn't think he could recruit competitively with other major programs. If he can rebrand the program and get the current mess behind us, there is no reason he can't recruit at a high level, even with the Adidas millstone around our neck.

We don't know yet whether "Top 5" in recruiting coincides with Top 5 on the FBI's hit list.

Until we know that, I'm good with less talent and more coaching ability--if Mack has that...

We don't know yet whether "Top 5" in recruiting coincides with Top 5 on the FBI's hit list.

Until we know that, I'm good with less talent and more coaching ability--if Mack has that...

Yeah we do. If Uk or Duke or anyone huge was going to be indicted, it was going to be a long time ago. Now the entire investigation has a chance to be thrown out because of fraud within one of the FBI investigators. Just because you get a top 5 class doesn’t mean it’s with top 5 players. A class of 5 4*’s is easily Top 10, it would’ve been top 4-7 this year. The clear and obvious hate you have for the coach and everyone involved while still being loyal to Jurich is hilarious. Are you a part of boxcar? Seems like it. You know we can’t win in the ACC with the lesser talent you’re talking about so you actually want that to happen. You know Pitino had good talent on his teams and still had a hard time against the best of the best. And with the talent you’re referring to, we’d turn into Pitt, which is what you want just to prove a point. It’s a lose lose either way.

You “prefer” worse talent because you want Mack to fail and there’s a greater chance that he does with that. You hide behind the FBI scandal to justify wanting the lesser talent when in reality, like 5 teams have been indicted and guess what? 3 of them were USC (lol), Auburn, and NCState. Wow such powerhouse basketball schools. Another one was KU but 0 proof that they knew and 0 indication that the staff was involved. And the last school, us, where one assistant was blatantly involved and a coach alleged to be. Yep. We have nothing in common with the other schools involved. So where’s Uk, where’s Duke, UNC, etc? It’s been months, nothing. And the case just keeps breaking down.

“If” Mack has that. Hilarious to me. Takes a team with their best player by far injured to the tournament and makes it to either the SS or Elite Eight. Gets #1 seed this past year. He has the most wins in history at Xavier. He took a mid major school with ONLY basketball as a major sport to their highest potential. What has Pitino done the past few years?

Post season ban 2015-16
Round of 32 2016-17
Fired for yet another scandal 2017-18

“Long-time coach Rick Pitino says the decision by the president of the University of Louisville to ban the men's basketball team from this year's NCAA tournament was ‘difficult’ but ‘the right thing to do.’”
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/85808822-157.html

Zipp still on the Jurich and Pitino train, what a surprise.

Last edited:
Well the story is that OAD will be DOA by approximately 2021. That’s when most of us top schools should be on equal footing because most of those former OAD kids will be playing in the “D League” or overseas. Now a few of them will be in college but I’m betting that they will be told that they have to stay for art least 2 seasons. Just a guess on my part.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We won't really know Mack's recruiting strategy until we're a little bit more removed from the sanctions. However I think we can assume that he's going to implement the same (or similar) system to what he ran at Xavier. His offense should entice elite guards to sign on but his defense doesn't really lend itself to constant turnover because it focuses on team play and defensive communication.

I think we'll see similar classes and similar players to what we saw under Rick. We'll be consistently top 10, he'll entice a handful of 5 star kids but bulk of his lineups will be made up upperclassmen and "developed" players that have been in his system a little longer.

My hope is that we have better success recruiting bigs to come play for us than we did under Rick.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I really don't think Mack needs a bunch of 5 star recruits to be successful. He's such a good coach, it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: EKYCard643
Jay Wright has won 2 of the last 3 NC's with 3-4 star kids, can be done with all the 5's going early. Love me some Kwan Fore, that kid is impressive. Of course being a former Social Worker/investigator, I like he had his degree in Social Work Kent School has a tremendous reputation for Graduate students in Social Work!

I’m actually pretty impressed with Mack’s recruiting thus far. As others have said, it looks a lot like Pitino’s.

Based on?...

LOL if you can't see that then this just proves your open hate and hope that he fails as a coach. I wish Jurich had gotten the USF job so you could have followed him there.

I really don't think Mack needs a bunch of 5 star recruits to be successful. He's such a good coach, it really doesn't matter.
He did a good job at Xavier without top recruits. Imagine what he can do with some 5 star players mixed in with some 4 stars. The idea we don't want 5 star players boggles the mind. I guess Denny should have told Griff, Pervis, Billy T, Eaves, Rodney, Scooter, Milt, etc., thanks but we just aren't interested. We don't want 5 star players.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
LOL if you can't see that then this just proves your open hate and hope that he fails as a coach. I wish Jurich had gotten the USF job so you could have followed him there.
I like the Mack hire as much as the next guy, but he will still have to prove himself to a degree. I’m sure he would even say he is still hungry for a championship and he is still improving as a coach.

Reactions: TDredbird
The funny thing is, if Jurich hired Mack, which was very possible, Zipp would be doing backflips still.

Denny had a swagger about him, especially early 80's Denny. Jurich described Rick as "Elvis." It'll be interesting to see how Mack develops, and he seems to be a "regular guy" without the whole rockstar persona.

From your reply, it sounds like there's not much "proof". When you wanna really answer the question, tag me...

Well the story is that OAD will be DOA by approximately 2021. That’s when most of us top schools should be on equal footing because most of those former OAD kids will be playing in the “D League” or overseas. Now a few of them will be in college but I’m betting that they will be told that they have to stay for art least 2 seasons. Just a guess on my part.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I see your train of thought on this. But I still think even if the rules are changed, the top talent will still go to the same schools. It still might result in a gap closure between the top 7-8 teams and the rest, but that will still remain to be seen

I see your train of thought on this. But I still think even if the rules are changed, the top talent will still go to the same schools. It still might result in a gap closure between the top 7-8 teams and the rest, but that will still remain to be seen

Yeah but the top talent wouldn't be NBA ready from the jump talent meaning actual coaching becomes even more of a needed commodity than before. Playing field evens out.

You can already argue the playing field has evened out, just glancing at some of the participants in the last couple final fours....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT