ADVERTISEMENT

Ray

David Gilmour

One-Star Poster
Dec 19, 2016
What's the chances the kid comes back for a senior year? If any kid could use that extra year in college to become more prepared for the NBA, it's this kid IMO. He leaves after this campaign, I think he becomes a afterthought in the league. Gonna have to pick up weight and strength first of all. He has no perimeter game where his slight build could afford him a chance ala a Kevin Durant. He's going to have to be a banger. He'll get thrown all around the blocks with his present body. His offensive moves are not yet established enough to be consistent in the NBA game. If the guy were to bulk up and improve as much next year as he has this year, he would end up being a college BEAST and could go very high in the draft after next year. I've seen so many kids who were not ready who went anyway, but a majority of them didn't look like they were gonna be ready after another year in school anyway. I really think one more year from Ray under Dave and Ray Ganong in the weight room could have this kid in the upper first round IF HE WORKS at it. Right now, he makes a roster. Gets the obligatory 2-3 minutes a game and probably ends up overseas in 3 -4 years. I'm not counting on him coming back, but if I'm advising him, I'm telling him to stay. I don't know his families financial situation and that always plays a big part, but just hope he stays.

Has he ever discussed it publicly? I'm thinking it will depend mostly on his projected draft status. I don't sense there are any factors indicating there is some big rush to start getting paid but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I don't think there is any chance he is going to "bulk up" by staying another season because that is just not his physique type. He might be able to put on another 10 pounds of muscle with a lot of weight room work.

Reactions: Kentucky31
I'd expect to see Ray stay for another year.He's becoming a man before our very eyes.
He's going to have to be a banger
I don't see him playing center,but I do think he's capable of hitting that face up jumper.More work with the handles and he could possibly be used at either spot(4-5).

I'd expect to see Ray stay for another year.He's becoming a man before our very eyes.

I don't see him playing center,but I do think he's capable of hitting that face up jumper.More work with the handles and he could possibly be used at either spot(4-5).
To me his situation is a lot like Earl Clark’s. I thought Earl needed another year but scouts see the size and everyone is looking for next Durant.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
The 3 ball is not going to get Ray to the league. Why he continues to shoot it, I don't know. I guess I could see it in a blowout, but when he took it last night, the game was still up for grabs.

The 3 ball is not going to get Ray to the league. Why he continues to shoot it, I don't know. I guess I could see it in a blowout, but when he took it last night, the game was still up for grabs.
I don’t watch the NBA much at all except if DM or Rozier is on and even then only in spurts. How many 4’s in the league can’t shoot 3’s?

Agree,but he will have to be able to knock down that open,faceup shot if he's gonna be a stretch 4.They don't have to be 3's,but the 15 footer variety,I think yes.

You gotta love this kid's willingness to improve at all facets of the game in the offseason.He has become a better version of himself and 1 more offseason of sharpening up what the NBA guys want to see,looks to be in the Cards.;)

Reactions: David Gilmour
STILL don't know why the kid is shooting that shot. The 3 last night when we cut it to 5 was a turrible decision. He's made 3 out of 15 for an ice cold .200, so why he (or CDP for that matter) thinks he should be shooting that shot, especially in a tight game, I have no earthly idea. Not trying to knock on Ray as the kid has been a warrior this year, but somebody please tell him to not shoot that shot. It's like a turnover.

STILL don't know why the kid is shooting that shot. The 3 last night when we cut it to 5 was a turrible decision. He's made 3 out of 15 for an ice cold .200, so why he (or CDP for that matter) thinks he should be shooting that shot, especially in a tight game, I have no earthly idea. Not trying to knock on Ray as the kid has been a warrior this year, but somebody please tell him to not shoot that shot. It's like a turnover.
Here’s the thing. Under Pitino’s philosophy, you are wide open you take the shot. Virginia knows this. That’s why he was left open. It was a high percentage chance he would miss plus they’re not going to send someone out there and leave the middle open. The issue was Ray hesitated because he couldn’t believe he was that open. A guy who shoots that shot regularly can compose themself and hit the shot or pass to a teammate.

Donovan Mitchell is a guard and doesn't have to be a banger. Ray is a forward and will be expected to be a banger. I like Ray and want him to make it in the NBA but if he goes pro this year he will be in Europe sooner than later.

Reactions: David Gilmour
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT