ADVERTISEMENT

Ranked 34th

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
We have moved up from last week when we weren’t in the top 35 now we are ranked 34th. However keep in mind the we have some tough road games coming up. We are currently tied for 2nd with FSU in the conference most people consider the toughest women’s conference in the country.

Cards play 20th ranked NC State Sunday and here is an obvious example of voter bias. The Pack are still ranked despite losing 5 games, 3 by blowout.

Yet, Louisville after two months, still hasn't returned to the rankings. Just look at NC State's schedule and see for yourself. Louisville's results are better, even with one more loss.

Voters are reluctant to remove NC State from the polls while at the same time they can't bring themselves to vote for Louisville. Let's hope the Cards make them this Sunday.

Reactions: Bardman
It is difficult to accept the voters are bias, when the same voters who have us at 34th, are the same voters who had us 7th to start the season.

Those early losses to at the time unranked Zags, SDST, and then by 19 points to #4 OSU and 18 points to unranked MTSU explains perfectly as to why we dropped so low.

As of last Monday, there were no 6 loss teams in the top 25, and until we beat NCST, Duke, UNC or ND …… we do not deserve to be ranked in the top 25.

Are we improved from that rough start? Absolutely, and we have a chance to jump in the rankings. There is no bias against these ladies.

I disagree and the evidence is overwhelming in my view. Cards were ranked #7 because voters were used to voting the program that high, but once the Cards lost a couple of games, they tumbled out in record speed and more importantly, haven't been back after winning something like 10 out of their last 12.

I believe rankings are relevant to all the teams and all of the games, as there are quite a few teams who "have winning streaks that match the 10 out of their last 12 games", but none have 6 losses and no wins against top 25 teams, but are included in the top 25. That is why we remain where we are.

Most of the same voters who ranked us #7 preseason, are the same ones who ranked us so high all of last season, which contributed to the excellent and well deserved seeding that we enjoyed going into the NCAA tournament.

I love this team, but as much improvement as I have seen since the 18 point loss to Middle Tennessee State, those who are ranking UL, cannot discount those 4 losses to unranked teams, particularly when we have lost to every single top 25 team (OSU, VT, Duke and the Zags) that we have played thus far.

We have a great opportunity today with #20 ranked NCST at home. However, the Wolfpack have lost 4 of their last 6, 2 of which were to unranked ACC opponents. Even If we win today as I expect; most assuredly NCST will drop out of the top 25 as well. We still have work to do before we climb back into the rankings, but beating NCST is a major step in the right direction.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
None of those teams were ranked each week of the last 8 years.

Look, I understand why Louisville fell out when they did, but this notion that the work they have done since doesn't make them one of the top 25 teams is ridiculous. If the NCAA tournament started today, the Cards would be a 6 or 7 seed if you go by the polls. Again that's ridiculous.

Louisville should be like Uconn, ND, South Carolina, Stanford and NC State and get the benefit of the doubt as a elite program usually does. The only reason to continue to keep them out of the poll is a bias. It's as clear as it can be.

According to ESPN bracketology; we were a 9 seed a week ago; which may explain the 34th ranking. Just to clarify my opinion, I too believe we are better than 34th, and honestly I would not be totally surprised if we get back into top 10 by NCAA time. However, I do not see evidence of any bias towards UL. I do see WBB having reached such parity, to coin a 25 year old Denny Crum comment, “any team can beat another team on any given night”. Denny had great insight before others recognize how balanced college basketball had become.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I would like to know who the actual voters are and where they are from. It is obvious that the NCAA selection committee is biased with their selection on what teams get in and who they play. The ranking of teams is a criteria they use for seeding teams. So ranking teams could be biased but I would have to know who the voters are before I could be for sure.

Bias is subjective for sure, especially with fans. These voters wouldn't admit to a bias so needing evidence is not applicable. I'm just saying more than not, these voters don't look at the program like they do others in the same situation. Why? I'm not sure.

Louisville has got to be one of the worst teams at layups and put backs around the basket. They're just too consistent when it comes to missing these shots for it to be a fluke.

Reactions: HiStepper
The number of missed layups and “bunnies” will catch up with us. We play hard defensively, but you must finish offensively if we want to win.

I think I'm biased because I'm about ready to say this Cards team doesn't want to be ranked. I just don't understand how they continue to miss in close shots like they do. Sometimes it's plain bad luck but most times it's just a choke.

I'm going to concede that we're just not playing like a ranked team and that is that.

Reactions: 2330859
We both want them to execute up to their ability; and for reasons that are difficult to understand; sometimes they just can’t get it right. HVL may have had her worst game since arriving here; but aside from Robinson and Carr, no one else played any where close to our expectations. We were tall, but Williams, Cochran and Dixon played smaller than their counterparts, and were each out-played in virtually every aspect; defending the paint, TOS, missed inside shots and unnecessary fouls. Konno earned her minutes, but failed to contribute as she had in the last few games.

We deserved this loss, and really affects our chances of any ACC challenge.

The “we deserve to be ranked” jinx rears its ugly head…. Hopefully this is the last time this year that we have to debate rankings in a meaningless poll that has no bearing on tournament seeding!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT