ADVERTISEMENT

Quaintance Asking Price?

I may be given misinformation, but my understanding is that every single recruit and Portal Transfer candidate are asking "how much money are you going to pay me"?

Its the new reality and no one should be surprised as to the consequences that have already impacted college sports, and are forthcoming since the concept of NIL was considered.

The only positive to this is that based upon his age (16-17) he will have to be in college for two years I believe. of course that doesn’t mean two years at the same school.

The negative is paying a 16-17 yo 2M to play basketball. 😳

I may be given misinformation, but my understanding is that every single recruit and Portal Transfer candidate are asking "how much money are you going to pay me"?

Its the new reality and no one should be surprised as to the consequences that have already impacted college sports, and are forthcoming since the concept of NIL was considered.
It's why I no longer extend any hope things will be like they used to be with Louisville hoops. Even if in a couple years, Louisville wins 25 games with a roster of millionaires, I will not be hanging on every shot and rebound.

I'm basically moving on hoping and praying NIL doesn't kill college football as well. The large rosters so far are saving the game.

I hope things change with college basketball, but I believe this is one of those things will get worse before they get better kind of things. I'm just a bit too weary to really care anymore.

The only positive to this is that based upon his age (16-17) he will have to be in college for two years I believe. of course that doesn’t mean two years at the same school.

The negative is paying a 16-17 yo 2M to play basketball. 😳

Unbelievable. I can't make a logical argument against NIL but I still don't have to like what it's doing to the game.

My childhood, Denny was the guy. In adulthood, it was Rick. The Cards were always competitive (exceptions here & there), the players stayed in 4 year cycles generally, we got to know them. I mean the NBA has more continuity year over year than NCAAB and that's just crazy. Then Rick leaves and it's interim coach, new coach, interim coach, new coach, and now another new coach....and layer over that the roster seems completely different every year and it's not just Louisville. The game is unrecognizable to me and it's hard to get as emotionally involved or care as much.

We went up to $1.5M for Q, before we walked away. Its between UK and Arkansas and the last price UL heard was at $2M ....... imagine that is for a freshman!

We went up to $1.5M for Q, before we walked away. Its between UK and Arkansas and the last price UL heard was at $2M ....... imagine that is for a freshman!
Well, he had already nixed Arky and canceled his visit with Pope today…so not sure where you’re getting your info.

Reactions: Robbiehailey
I believe my source (works with JH at UL) was 100% accurate, as this was shared with me this afternoon at lunch. I believe he learned this yesterday. It's an incredibly fluid situation where these player agents are negotiating with multiple schools simultaneously. I was particularly shocked that UL was willing to pay up to the $1.5M level. When UL retreated out, UK and Arkansas were still bidding up to $2M.

I believe my source (works with JH at UL) was 100% accurate, as this was shared with me this afternoon at lunch. I believe he learned this yesterday. It's an incredibly fluid situation where these player agents are negotiating with multiple schools simultaneously. I was particularly shocked that UL was willing to pay up to the $1.5M level. When UL retreated out, UK and Arkansas were still bidding up to $2M.
Doesn’t seem like it. Maybe JH doesn’t share everything with your source. Other reporting seems to disagree with your source. Let’s see how this plays out.

agree on one thing; lets just watch this play out and see who pays what at the end.

We could get close to two of him at that price in the portal. With the bonus of experience. My thought even though I've never seen him play. Wasn't Mgbako around the same ranking wise? Dunno. Didn't see the money spent for the return worth it for him. That's generational talent money if you ask me.

Reactions: earsky
I'd be cautious in believing everything we read about these recruits. Maybe he has no interest in playing for Pope or living in Ark for a few years. We really don't know. I am sure he's looking for a good deal just like every other player is, but it's highly possible butthurt fans of UK and/or Ark are running the kid down now that he appears to have removed them from his list.

I think I heard the owner of the Twitter handle is a big UK fan. It would be funny if he changed his mind again, decided to go to one of those schools, and then we'd get to see his haters walk back their previous POVs.

Actually it would be funnier if he chose UofL. I'm going to guess he lands @ Memphis but have no clue.

Some believe Q is a freak athlete with unlimited potential. I still struggle with seeing these sort of numbers associated with compensating college basketball players.

My assumption is that Adidas would front a portion of the bill for him to help get him to Louisville. More than likely sign him to an apparel deal to cover the rest and then they get a head start on signing him once he’s in the NBA. This is relatively common for the top of their class high nba upside freshman.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Yes but as the other old saying goes - only if you’re the win at all costs type…
i 100% agree, but to play devil's advocate, i was referring to actual monetary cost, which money as we know can usually be replaced and has no value to people who have too much of it, whereas your point is more geared towards the moral cost of winning. i don't think paying athletes is wrong but i think keeping a coach that's cheated on his wife, allowed strippers in the dorm, and allowed us to face the possibility of the death penalty, that keeping a coach like that was immoral and imposed a sever cost upon this city and university. paying a kid cash to pay for your team instead of another is just business. there's no sacrifice of integrity. it's paying someone a wage for work. but i absolutely agree with you on the fact, you shouldn't sacrifice your morals to win at all costs. but billionaires throwing some money at kids to play has been going on since sports and competitions were around.

I was particularly shocked that UL was willing to pay up to the $1.5M level. When UL retreated out, UK and Arkansas were still bidding up to $2M.

If true, this is batshit crazy. $1.5M-$2.0M for a kid who's never played college basketball. Absolutely disgusting IMO. I'll certainly root for the guy if Louisville signs him but this is so YUCK I need a shower.

i 100% agree, but to play devil's advocate, i was referring to actual monetary cost, which money as we know can usually be replaced and has no value to people who have too much of it, whereas your point is more geared towards the moral cost of winning. i don't think paying athletes is wrong but i think keeping a coach that's cheated on his wife, allowed strippers in the dorm, and allowed us to face the possibility of the death penalty, that keeping a coach like that was immoral and imposed a sever cost upon this city and university. paying a kid cash to pay for your team instead of another is just business. there's no sacrifice of integrity. it's paying someone a wage for work. but i absolutely agree with you on the fact, you shouldn't sacrifice your morals to win at all costs. but billionaires throwing some money at kids to play has been going on since sports and competitions were around.
1. There is no old saying about if you win the cost was worth it.

2. Unless you are one of those people with too much money - you couldn’t possibly know what value it has to them.

3. From a strict moral standpoint, the idea of paying a 16 year old kid 2M to play basketball when that sort of money could provide real value in any community is far more repugnant that someone cheating on his wife.

4. You’re ok with paying a minor millions to play basketball but you have an issue with someone having sex for money? Bypassing the stickiness of a minor actually being able to enter into / consent to any sort of financial transaction - please explain to me the economic difference?

NIL was NEVER supposed to be billionaires paying kids to play sports. It was supposed to be athletes being cut in on the profits for the use of their name, image or likeness. Think autograph shows, billboards or video games. This current system is unsustainable and the Quaintance kid and his agents are perfect examples of why it will fall.

Call me confused but now they’re saying he has narrowed his choices to Louisville and Memphis. He is visiting Louisville this week and has postponed his visit to Memphis.

2. Unless you are one of those people with too much money - you couldn’t possibly know what value it has to them.

3. From a strict moral standpoint, the idea of paying a 16 year old kid 2M to play basketball when that sort of money could provide real value in any community is far more repugnant that someone cheating on his wife.

4. You’re ok with paying a minor millions to play basketball but you have an issue with someone having sex for money? Bypassing the stickiness of a minor actually being able to enter into / consent to any sort of financial transaction - please explain to me the economic difference?

NIL was NEVER supposed to be billionaires paying kids to play sports. It was supposed to be athletes being cut in on the profits for the use of their name, image or likeness. Think autograph shows, billboards or video games. This current system is unsustainable and the Quaintance kid and his agents are perfect examples of why it will fall.
Yet another NCAA screwup. How do these clowns keep their jobs? The whole rollout for NIL was done without any thought whatsoever.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Call me confused but now they’re saying he has narrowed his choices to Louisville and Memphis. He is visiting Louisville this week and has postponed his visit to Memphis.
I might be confused, but didn’t he already visit Louisville? Maybe I’m thinking of someone else.

Ed O’Bannon would be rolling over in his grave (if he were dead) if he sees how his lawsuit against EA sports would lead to the circus show that is the current NIL.

Reactions: BPGhost
The NCAA pulls in over a billion a year off March Madness. Players are finally making money but still not getting paid by their employer.

I think the P6 will eventually start paying players directly and there may be some kind of cap with that. But as far as NIL goes, I see that as an endorsement deal. The pro leagues don't put caps on endorsements.

When LeBron first joined the Cavs out of High School, he signed a deal with the league for $18.8M over 4 years. That was his salary. It was determined through collective bargaining between the owners and players union.

In the same year, he signed an endorsement deal with Nike for $87M. That was probably negotiated between Lebron, his agent and Nike. There was no cap.

This is the direction I think NIL is headed. Will the numbers get that high? Depends on the player's value.

Eventually players will have a salary but they'll still be able to get endorsement/NIL deals.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
NIL and transfer portal along with early NBA entry have pretty much ruined the college game for me.

I have read that Kentucky is not fully in the Q sweepstakes as of this second, along with reports he wants 500K up front before he takes a dribble. Whether that's true or not, or just more internet drivel ya got me. If he does go to UofL, hope it works for you guys.

I was hoping more teams would go to a UCONN system of team basketball, but it doesn't appear that way.

One kid that had UK in his 'list' was asked about Arkansas and others. He said he had to talk with his people and see what they said.

This is turned into far .ore than I believed NIL was supposed to be about. Kinda like being unnamed semi pros.

Ah well....good luck. I'll enjoy football...maybe.
Until some billionaire buys a whole team.
Which is maybe what Deion is shooting for in Colorado.

Peace out folks

Reactions: Caintuk
NIL and transfer portal along with early NBA entry have pretty much ruined the college game for me.

I have read that Kentucky is not fully in the Q sweepstakes as of this second, along with reports he wants 500K up front before he takes a dribble. Whether that's true or not, or just more internet drivel ya got me. If he does go to UofL, hope it works for you guys.

I was hoping more teams would go to a UCONN system of team basketball, but it doesn't appear that way.

One kid that had UK in his 'list' was asked about Arkansas and others. He said he had to talk with his people and see what they said.

This is turned into far .ore than I believed NIL was supposed to be about. Kinda like being unnamed semi pros.

Ah well....good luck. I'll enjoy football...maybe.
Until some billionaire buys a whole team.
Which is maybe what Deion is shooting for in Colorado.

Peace out folks
Unless things change drastically, this is the new world order. We all better get used to it. NIL is our Frankenstein monster and he’s running amok. But, until/unless things change, a big NIL larder will influence win %, player acquisition and coaching hires.

Personally I wouldn't pay that amount for a 16 yr old kid. I would definitely pass on him if that's what he is seeking to sign.

The schools witnessed the consequences associated with paying NIL funds “up front”; several examples of athletes taking the NIL money, but then leaving without ever enrolling.

I have no idea about the report about Q asking for cash up front, but I would be shocked if any school falls for that trick.

The real blame for the chaos is with the Universities and the NCAA. They had literally decades to figure this stuff out. Instead they fought to protect an unfair system that the Supreme Court struck down. The schools/NCAA were so sure they were in the right they never bothered to come up with an alternate plan.

June 29 is the 3 year anniversary of the 9-0 Supreme Court decision. The NCAA and Universities still have no plan.

We need to stop blaming the kids and their parents. It is free market. The ridiculousness is they are the only ones that know the market. They have all the leverage. Schools are negotiating at a disadvantage dealing with players agents or whatever that are lying to get the most for their client.

I still don’t understand how the NCAA can’t limit pay of play per school-sport to a number. The only way a player can get more is through a real NIL. That has to go through a rigorous process. Make the players sub-contractors. The ability to transfer makes that kind of arrangement possible. The players are free to leave at the during or at the end of the agreement. The collective is kind of set up that way.

Back to JQ. His recruitment is more about getting Louisville brand back in the spot light. They have to pay a premium right now because of the past several years. Some would argue landing him sends a message that is more valuable than 1M-1.5M. What is landing him means season ticket sales jump 5%? What if he is the next Jamal Mashburn in terms of impacting a team? Hunter Dickerson was reportedly paid 2M. I don’t see the value in him. It’s not like he did anything to increase their brand.

The one thing we know is the market will correct itself it will here too.

Reactions: vegasville1
I was watching Locked on Louisville and he said that one of Louisville’s assistant coaches coached basketball at the high school Jayden went to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT