Puerto Rico: Stats to Cheer & Stats to Fear/Part2

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
Nick Burch
Aug 18 2015

STAT TO FEAR

Mangok Mathiang: 14 turnovers

Despite his progression on offense, Mathiang still had trouble receiving passes and controlling the ball. He bobbled away several balls during the week. He figures to get at least 15 minutes per game this season, at least to start out, so that is certainly an area where he can make more progression.

STAT TO CHEER

Chinanu Onuaku: 9.8 points, 7 rebounds per game, 10 total steals

Onuaku really impressed during his time with the FIBA national team, so much to the point that two major NBA Draft experts (Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com and Chad Ford of ESPN) have him slotted as a late first round pick in next summer’s draft.

He certainly looked the part in San Juan, as he appeared to be far more aggressive, confident, and controlled than he was last season. He registered one only two double-doubles on the week for the Cards (Damion Lee had the other) and looks like he can be a difference maker in the paint.

STAT TO FEAR

Chinanu Onuaku: Zero minutes played in Thursday night’s overtime loss due to suspension

At times last season, Onuaku appeared to let his frustrations get the best of him, and as a result, his performances suffered. After a minor scuffle between he and Minnesota Timberwolves guard JJ Barea in the handshake line following Puerto Rico’s 96-62 bludgeoning of Louisville, Pitino had his Louisville center sit out Thursday night’s contest, which may have cost the team a win.

He was also noticeably getting agitated on the court during the blowout loss, as he was seen slamming the ball on the court. He needs to be able to keep his emotions in check this season, as he will be needed in the frontcourt.

STAT TO CHEER

Louisville record following 96-62 loss: 2-1 with the loss being in overtime

Again, nothing from this trip should be taken as a definitive sign for how this team will play this season, but after getting stomped by 34 points on Wednesday night, it was impossible not to feel a little pessimism regarding their chances.

Yet, while some teams with lesser leadership would have allowed the loss to affect them and keep them down, Louisville was able to bounce back. They pushed their opponents to overtime the very next night before winning the final two matchups, ending the week on a high note.

STAT TO FEAR

114 turnovers to just 76 assists as a team (counting scholarship players only)

Yeesh. Definitely an area where Louisville as a team would like to see improvement. A lot of that, though, can be chalked up to still getting a feel for one another along with the fact the first opponent they faced other than themselves consisted of several professional players.

Only Quentin Snider had an assist-to-turnover ratio greater than one, and no one on the team averaged more than three assists per game.

BIGGEST STAT TO CHEER

How about the fact that it’s only August, and fans were able to watch their favorite basketball team play? How about just appreciating that? While most fan bases are pulling hair out waiting for college football season to start, Louisville fans were able to discuss hoops to fill the void.

Was the team perfect? Of course not, but that is to be expected with such a new and largely inexperienced team during August. Sure, Donovan Mitchell needs to adjust a little more, but he still led the team with ten steals on the week. Yes, Quentin Snider shot poorly (34% overall, 10% from three), but he did the best job handling the ball of anyone in the backcourt. And yes, the team could use more production from guys like Anas Mahmoud and Matz Stockman in the post, but each had flashes this week.

Overall, there is not one player on the team who fans should be feeling completely pessimistic about. Some, like Lee, showed a lot of what they can do, while others, like Spalding, showed flashes of what could come. Everyone contributed, everyone at one point or another had their moment, and in the long run, this will only help the team be a better team next Spring when it matters. After all, a team’s win-loss record in August does not matter. In March, it most certainly does, and if this team gets out of this trip what Pitino thinks they will, that stat will be one all fans will ultimately cheer.

The turnovers are definitely a concern but having watched 3 of the games and reading most of what RP has said about the trip I'm not as concerned as I might otherwise be. I think a big goal of this trip was to get these guys used to playing at a frenetic pace. At least one of the games was played with a 24 second clock. A lot of the turnovers occurred in transition. In the half court they handled the ball OK.

I think there are several reasons why this was RP's goal. First, unlike last year I think the Cards will use a lot of guys. At this point, other than Lee, there is not another guy who is a head and shoulders better than the guy who might sub for them. Snyder/Lewis, Mango/Nanu, Johnson/Spalding, Adel/(Lee sliding to the 2 replacing Lewis/Snyder), Mitchell/Lewis/Snyder
So I think UL will try to get teams fatigued and playing at a pace they are not used to.

Also, UL generally plays at a fast pace even when we have not had a deep bench. Most of these guys have not played many/any minutes for UL. The pace in PR was faster than even we have played at in the past. When RP throttles them back to the desired pace it will seem like a walk in the park to them. So I think part of this was to get them over the mental hurdle of playing fast.

Finally, with the switch to the 30 second clock I know RP wants to get the ball into the front court ASAP. And with his lengthy bench his press will burn 10-12 seconds off the opponents clock before the even get into their offense.

A
The turnovers are definitely a concern but having watched 3 of the games and reading most of what RP has said about the trip I'm not as concerned as I might otherwise be. I think a big goal of this trip was to get these guys used to playing at a frenetic pace. At least one of the games was played with a 24 second clock. A lot of the turnovers occurred in transition. In the half court they handled the ball OK.

I think there are several reasons why this was RP's goal. First, unlike last year I think the Cards will use a lot of guys. At this point, other than Lee, there is not another guy who is a head and shoulders better than the guy who might sub for them. Snyder/Lewis, Mango/Nanu, Johnson/Spalding, Adel/(Lee sliding to the 2 replacing Lewis/Snyder), Mitchell/Lewis/Snyder
So I think UL will try to get teams fatigued and playing at a pace they are not used to.

Also, UL generally plays at a fast pace even when we have not had a deep bench. Most of these guys have not played many/any minutes for UL. The pace in PR was faster than even we have played at in the past. When RP throttles them back to the desired pace it will seem like a walk in the park to them. So I think part of this was to get them over the mental hurdle of playing fast.

Finally, with the switch to the 30 second clock I know RP wants to get the ball into the front court ASAP. And with his lengthy bench his press will burn 10-12 seconds off the opponents clock before the even get into their offense.
And it's still just August

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT