ADVERTISEMENT

Portal watch

Two everyday players end up in the $EC...hmm. Sounds like we're on the outside looking in on this NIL thing. Once again, I'll make the comparison to MLB markets and the struggle by the smaller ones to get the big hardware. It's looking like we're officially a small market program.

Reactions: Bardman
Two everyday players end up in the $EC...hmm. Sounds like we're on the outside looking in on this NIL thing. Once again, I'll make the comparison to MLB markets and the struggle by the smaller ones to get the big hardware. It's looking like we're officially a small market program.
This is how the portal works. Two players who put up good numbers on a team that underachieved due to mainly pitching. Its not hard to fathom that these guys would excel on a team with better pitching. Sounds too simple but its true.

What I heard is…$EC NIL for baseball is double what ACC teams have available.

• Wow
Reactions: earsky
Count me as concerned they have almost completely ignored pitching coming off a year where they average giving up 8.21 runs in ACC play.

Reactions: rh62531
Count me as concerned they have almost completely ignored pitching coming off a year where they average giving up 8.21 runs in ACC play.
Agreed. One guy from In St is pretty good. But, what else?

This is how the portal works. Two players who put up good numbers on a team that underachieved due to mainly pitching. Its not hard to fathom that these guys would excel on a team with better pitching. Sounds too simple but its true.
Yeah I understand how the portal works. They excelled here.The point is we can't match the dollars being put up to keep these guys.
"We posed to be UofL baseball!!" Lol

We don't really know that they didn't go after some pitchers and just got out bidded too. Of course, this will leave the Sophomores and Juniors to really improve that much more between now and February.
Forbes,West,Biven, Detmers, Dean,Hartman and Riley. That's the core,with the transfers and Freshmen...that's it.
I suppose we should wait till after the draft to try and look at possible Freshmen that can contribute.

18 Freshmen now on campus. I did look at most of the 11 that are pitchers. There will be some of those 11 that will be counted on to be a part of the bullpen. Three of these guys are already low 90s max on their fastball.

I know, I know...let's see how many are here at the start of the Fall semester and participating in Fall Ball.

Yeah I understand how the portal works. They excelled here.The point is we can't match the dollars being put up to keep these guys.
"We posed to be UofL baseball!!" Lol
I don't think if you offered more NIL money, they would stay. Some players might, but most of them want to get to Omaha in their careers. If the pitching or something doesn't change, it ain't going to happen at U of L. Kilen to UT and Humphrey to Ole Miss. Its not just about NIL.

Reactions: Dockery_
don't think if you offered more NIL money, they would stay. Some players might, but most of them want to get to Omaha in their careers
I might agree with this in the case of Isaac but not Kilen. If the reports are right, 6 figures certainly played in. We'll revisit this next Spring and see how that Omaha dream has turned out...and for whom.

Weird. I find him at Madison College. I also saw where he had committed to ECU. He had a very good FR season to be sure; but, he’ll face far, far better hitters if he is truly coming here to play.

We don't really know that they didn't go after some pitchers and just got out bidded too. Of course, this will leave the Sophomores and Juniors to really improve that much more between now and February.
Forbes,West,Biven, Detmers, Dean,Hartman and Riley. That's the core,with the transfers and Freshmen...that's it.
I suppose we should wait till after the draft to try and look at possible Freshmen that can contribute.
Riley exhausted his eligibility. You missed Starke, who has been phenomenal this summer. Lessman also returns, whom can be can be solid arm when consistent…

Weird. I find him at Madison College. I also saw where he had committed to ECU. He had a very good FR season to be sure; but, he’ll face far, far better hitters if he is truly coming here to play.
I think you are looking at the wrong Madison pitcher. Their ace, Carpenter, is committed to ECU.

So far this summer, Hoyt has shown he can get out D1 batters. Just looking at his last appearance, he retired hitters from OU, AU, and XU.

He is about to see international rosters at the Haarlem tournament, including teams from Chinese-Tapei and Japan. Which reminds me…Jake Munroe will also be playing. I hope they do well.

Does anyone else have problems with this site reloading when trying to post?

I wish I was misreading this situation, but I sincerely believe we are witnessing the power of SEC $$$$ in college baseball, which will result in UL baseball's 2024 performance becoming the norm going forward. The tradition we enjoyed previously (competing for ACC and NCAA championships) will be nothing more than past history.

Given our financial circumstances, UL will dedicate all of its resources into Football and Men's Basketball, as its only way to participate in NIL and the Portal in a meaningful way. Baseball is on an island right now.

I don’t think you are misreading the results speak for themselves. The SEC is dominating college baseball. I do think NIL has impacted who they can bring in pitching wise. How else can you explain what they have or haven’t done on the portal?

I could be wrong next year is going to be rough. They are going to be relying on a ton of freshman pitchers next year. The staff is either ridiculously stubborn or doesn’t have the NIL to compete.

Reactions: 2330859
There is NIL money. Not enough to compete with the SEC or top-tier ACC schools.

I wish I was misreading this situation, but I sincerely believe we are witnessing the power of SEC $$$$ in college baseball, which will result in UL baseball's 2024 performance becoming the norm going forward. The tradition we enjoyed previously (competing for ACC and NCAA championships) will be nothing more than past history.

Given our financial circumstances, UL will dedicate all of its resources into Football and Men's Basketball, as its only way to participate in NIL and the Portal in a meaningful way. Baseball is on an island right now.
I agree with a lot of this but I want to see what we have on the field first. New season and a lot of new faces replacing some of the old guard that couldn't get it done. I'm not counting out these Juniors or our coach just yet. Kilen's defection stings though,not gonna lie.

Interesting that 3 former Wake Forest players taken in the top 20 of the MLB draft. Wake is the smallest or 2nd smallest Div 1 schools in the country.

Not surprised just never developed. A guy that throws 95-96 gets torched is a guy that doesn’t locate pitches. There is something about his delivery as well, hitters see his pitches really well.
Saw Will
He’s the perfect example of a guy that didn’t have anything to go along with that fastball that he couldn’t locate. Relegated to spot duty. Wish him well.
Saw Wil play many games in HS at Bardstown High. My Step Grandson was his Teammate. Great kid, from a family of Card Fans. So disappointed to see him leave. Your right lot of speed with his fastball, but just could not get consistent with throwing strikes. Heard from a very reliable source he is transferring to Arizona State. So he will remain at a high level. Perhaps he can get his control issue figured out. We all thought he had a Pro Carrer in his future. Change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered for Wil!

Reactions: earsky
Saw Will

Saw Wil play many games in HS at Bardstown High. My Step Grandson was his Teammate. Great kid, from a family of Card Fans. So disappointed to see him leave. Your right lot of speed with his fastball, but just could not get consistent with throwing strikes. Heard from a very reliable source he is transferring to Arizona State. So he will remain at a high level. Perhaps he can get his control issue figured out. We all thought he had a Pro Carrer in his future. Change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered for Wil!
He announced his transfer to Arizona State in mid/late June.

Just read this entire thread and I'm sure not seeing much to be optimistic about.. Was really hoping to see we were loading up in the portal to fill in some key positions but hat doesn't seem to be the case.. Looking like next season is just going to be more of the same. I would be very happy to be wrong.

Just read this entire thread and I'm sure not seeing much to be optimistic about.. Was really hoping to see we were loading up in the portal to fill in some key positions but hat doesn't seem to be the case.. Looking like next season is just going to be more of the same. I would be very happy to be wrong.
What it says to me is that our recruiting philosophy and our coaching is sound. Last 2 years have been a fluke due to injuries or whatever, etc. I guess we will find out if that is true.

I believe we'll have a solid foundation of players in place just not the revolving door issues that are created by having too many guys that can crack the 9. The outfield looks solid,not sure if Alicea slides over to short but he played short in hs. The other 3 spots in the infield look to be new faces.

That gets us to the pitching staff. Hmm, I think there's a solid core of guys returning that we've already listed here. The Sophomores and Juniors lead the way. Can Miller build depth with transfers and Freshmen to go with those guys?🤷

What it says to me is that our recruiting philosophy and our coaching is sound. Last 2 years have been a fluke due to injuries or whatever, etc. I guess we will find out if that is true.
Have made the post season once since 2019. This isn't a two-year blunder and the bullpen has been a major problem over those five years.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Have made the post season once since 2019. This isn't a two-year blunder and the bullpen has been a major problem over those five years.
I have to agree. No way is recruiting and coaching sound. Still reckless and careless on the bases and pitching decisions are still suspect. That's on coaching.

Former Cards are getting it done in the major leagues with Tyler Fitzgerald the latest. He recently had a stretch of home runs in five consecutive games. Recruiting has regressed.

Since 2021, Louisville just hasn't recruited the kind of talent we saw for a decade. For whatever reason, the more talented players are not coming here. Louisville has also been hurt by star recruits choosing to sign pro contracts.

I've had the opinion now for a couple years that Coach Mac is a great jockey when he has the horses, but not so much when he needs the team to overachieve.

Since Covid something happened with recruiting, evaluations and development. Usually that can be tied to staff changes. Nothing has really changed in that department.

My opinion is multiple factors are in play. Team got older in Covid and Louisville got younger. Then they were slow to transition to older transfers. Development wise the pitching staff tanked. Koger, Hawks, Phillips and Corbett all legit arms. Zero really reached Friday night level.

Could be a transition period but I like beating a dead horse….fix pitching and they will be fine.

I'm more than willing to hear you out on why you see it that way because my opinion couldn't be anymore opposite..
I'm thinking you may have misunderstood my post or I wasn't clear but that wasn't my opinion, I was stating that must have been what McDonnell concluded... My opinion is that we needed to make a change primarily at the pitching coach position. I respect what Roger has done for this program but there are just times when a change is needed. That's my opinion and I am certainly willing to debate that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT