ADVERTISEMENT

Portal watch

Anderson to Purdue
Campbell to GA Tech
Koger to Arizona St

I have an inkling Tennessee goes after Kilen. Dickerson hasn't landed anywhere yet as far as I know. Anybody got any news on other guys leaving or coming here?

CF from Toledo commits to Cards. Jr and was a 3d team AA.
This guy,Lippe and possibly Eddie King the outfield 2025. King is draft eligible, not sure but I believe Humphrey and Benson have used all of their eligibility.

Koger to Az St - big gamble by them. Don’t want to see Campbell when we play GT. Kilen - who knows. That one still really stings.

Someone who is closer to the players, the staff and the actual process associated with NIL and the Portal will need to enlighten me as to whether I understand this correctly; but it sure appears to me that UL should invest its money in player payroll and forget about upgrading the facilities? That is not intended as a statement of fact, just a question as to whether there is more to this situation than "buying the players"? I believe it takes exceptional talent to compete in the ACC, and more seats at Patterson will be a waste of money unless UL performance improves over what we have witnessed these last few years. Unfortunately, participation in the Portal and NIL is getting increasingly influential and more expensive ....... not sure we can compete without a significant injection of money.

I think somebody mentioned player management in this thread or another as to what might be going on. I think most of it is playing time,the exception being Kilen. Campbell probably wants to start somewhere,idk. There are only a couple handfuls of players demanding big $$ through NIL and Kilen certainly one.
Curious about Anderson too. Him and Kilen are pretty close,but I wonder if he's thinking he might not see the field. Probably wants to play every day. Ditto for Dickerson.

UofL can’t budget funds to NIL. I also do not believe more seats are being added. I think there are going to be various upgrades to the existing facilities. For baseball, adding more seats does nothing. Putting effort into marketing to get fans at the games would be a much netter investment than more seats.

Reactions: rh62531
Yeah and when I said a couple handfuls I meant across all of college baseball. I agree, we're likely not budgeting any of that. Goes beyond the university probably.

This coin has 2 sides I believe. Thanks for the memories Isaac, but if these 22 year olds don't get drafted, Mac will be playing them again next season. I would prefer after the stretch we've gone through, to give others a shot,whether it's a transfer or a youngster.

Reactions: Bardman
Moore,King and Lippe are a good foundation for the outfield. I think we have a transfer outfielder and some promising Freshmen outfielders coming in as well. I think our class is ranked #10 if they all get here. Fingers crossed 🤞

Reactions: Jhectus18
I loved what Isaac did for us. Had a great year after a sub-par year previously. Solid college player; but, as Earsky stated- many younger guys available and plenty of talent. My guess is he was told playing time could be limited (just like Beard this last season).

Reactions: earsky
I liked Eddie a lot. Showed huge improvement between year 1 and 2 at the plate.
Moore,King and Lippe are a good foundation for the outfield. I think we have a transfer outfielder and some promising Freshmen outfielders coming in as well. I think our class is ranked #10 if they all get here. Fingers crossed 🤞

Reactions: earsky
liked Eddie a lot. Showed huge improvement between year 1 and 2 at the plate.
He,like others didn't like sitting, didn't like getting moved down in the lineup and he hurt himself with Mac with his reaction. He overcame a lot of that and will be expected to lead the team next season. It's a huge responsibility, being a captain. I really love Moore too. I mean he was just out of hs, leading the team early last season. Him or Alicea look to be leading candidates for the leadoff spot.

No one likes sitting but when you don’t perform on a team with talent you get moved around. You have to perform in that environment. King was much better late in the year. He may get drafted but should stick around could be a big year for him.

Moore needs to add 25lbs. I like his potential.

Isaac busted his ass for 3 years and pretty sure he graduated so I don't begrudge him for finishing up at another school. I doubt he was forced out-he hit .324 and was second in RBI's in conference play. (.310 overall) I would be surprised if we get more production out of our right fielder next year.
Great kid, enjoyed his interviews and another great contributor from Owensboro.

Earsky - I love your optimism. I depend on you guys to talk me off the ledge. However, I am concerned that if you add up the HR numbers, we are losing I think approx. 72% of our homerun production from last year (64/88). Couple that with our pitching woes, we really need to strike it rich in the portal.

Earsky - I love your optimism. I depend on you guys to talk me off the ledge. However, I am concerned that if you add up the HR numbers, we are losing I think approx. 72% of our homerun production from last year (64/88). Couple that with our pitching woes, we really need to strike it rich in the portal.
I'm more concerned about pitching depth than the power numbers right now. I believe we've already got help coming in both areas,but the Sophomores will have to take big steps forward for sure. West,Forbes,Biven and Hartman lead the youth brigade on the mound. There are some guys that didn't bolt who could be back for their covid year- namely Webster and Phillips. Not sure if Gongora is in that category. Might depend on the draft. Freshman Dean should make a jump up as well. It would really help if Riley got back to his old self too. Add to that group the MVC pitcher of the year from Indiana St and a host of Freshmen, idk...maybe something to work with.
We've already got 2 guys transferring in that both look like sluggers.One plays 3rd and the other 1st I believe. Don't be surprised to see Forbes get more time as a tru 2 way player in the outfield too. Lippe has hr power,but there are certainly concerns about replacing all those homers. I'm assuming McCoy and Napleton are gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT