ADVERTISEMENT

Point guard play

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
I'm not convinced after watching last night who might best lead this group at that position. Cunningham is an explosive type guy with the ball,but he looks to be more of a scorer. It looked like Perry was the odd man out in the sets last night. I think he is out best point guard and distributor of the ball.

Thoughts?

I think Cunningham is fine. Pg play didnt appear to be the biggest concern IMO.

The issue I see is the Cards lack post play.

I think Cunningham is fine. Pg play didnt appear to be the biggest concern IMO.

The issue I see is the Cards lack post play.
I agree Enoch was terrible. The moment looked to big for him. We have to get more out of Enoch and Williams. 3 points and 5 rebounds combined is why we lost the game.

I'm just trying to figure out how Perry fits in the offense. I think it works just as good if he's the point.
And you guys mentioned the post play. They didn't get many touches the last 12 minutes or so when we were shooting the penalty. Idk

I agree with Hop. Post play concerns me the most with the bad defense coming in second. The defense will get better, and I hope the post play does.

We've got another stout test tomorrow night. Marquette is currently a 3 1/2 point favorite. Should be a good game.

Go CARDS!!!

I need to see more of this team in action to get a better assessment of our players. There is definitely talent an potential here despite the shortcomings.

Interior defense was the problem Wednesday nite. If you wanna call that "post play". Contesting the entry pass, and defending once the ball got in there.

Considering it was the 4th game, I was good on how the offense looked...

I didn't start this thread to imply point guard play was a problem the other night.Perry had 8 assists in that game.My contention in the thread is he is a much better point than Cunningham,who appears to be a Russ Smith type 2 guard.That's all.

I really like the overall guard play by Cunningham and Perry. Perry needs to improve his overall decision making. Mack has some options and combinations that he still needs to sort out.

Reactions: Cue Card
Perry needs to improve his overall decision making. Mack has some options and combinations that he still needs to sort out.
Yeah,Perry is not the ball handler that either Cunningham or Fore are.I think he's our best passer though.And he is thinking pass first,which is good.If his handles improve,I think his decisions will too.

Reactions: UL_1986
I was happy to see the guards throwing the ball inside against Marquette. Enoch and the others on the receiving end of those entry passes should reciprocate when they don't have it where they can score.The fluidity of the inside-outside game will produce higher percentage shots.

I know we're getting a little off topic,but I think it all works together in the end,offensively.

Getting everybody on the same page about what might be a better shot-that's what separates good teams from becoming great offensive teams.Our guards and wings have to be willing to incorporate the bigs in the flow of the offense.However,there has to be trust between them and the bigs that if it's not there,on to the next best thing.

You can't make somebody pass it if they're only thinking shot,but it becomes a detriment to the end result and causes disharmony amongst the ranks.

In short,share the ball for the better shot,whether you are a guard or the guy in the paint.

Considering we hung 82 on a very good Sparty team, I think Mack is pushing a lot of the right buttons with this team including the guard play.

Reactions: zipp
I was impressed with Cunningham tonight. Good ball handling, some great passes to the open man, and overall steady play. Just needs to work on clutch free throws because he's gonna get fouled in crunch time.

Fore showed some great defense in this game. Perry has a ton of potential but tends to rush things.

I was impressed with Cunningham tonight. Good ball handling, some great passes to the open man, and overall steady play. Just needs to work on clutch free throws because he's gonna get fouled in crunch time.

Fore showed some great defense in this game. Perry has a ton of potential but tends to rush things.
Agree. Perry could be s stud once he gets it all together.

Which is why we struggle with either King or Nwora in the game. For them, the mentality is every shot they take is a good shot selection.
I don't disagree, but the difference is that Nwora can--and tonite did-do other things to supplement his scoring. King is limited or somehow limits himself...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT