ADVERTISEMENT

Plan B?

Better be a good one. We cannot afford another couple of years of anything approaching mediocrity or worse yet another that dude we just fired hire.

Maybe we should go for one of the established coaches who took an early unexpected loss in the tournament. Their fans are pretty upset and not Calipari.

really a 500 lifetime HC, made 3 ncaas in 11 years. I get N-W not an easy place to win but come on man
Then there was the time ohhh 24 hours ago that he outcoached our "savior" to add to his resume. Again, who is actually out there?

Its not Plan B but Plan A and since Ghost went on record to claim it was Dusty May, I am going with Mick Cronin.

I didn't say that Mick was the best pick but I have believed he is the most logical pick in that its makes more sense. After Drew won his 1st NC, i didn't expect him to go elsewheres unless Baylor refused to pony up. May was just another coach with a high temperature after being successful 2 years ago. I think he would eventually bolt for Indiana anyway. Seems like he was ok with just the B10.

Ask yourself how many established coaches are gonna be happy as the next best to Dusty May.

This is Derby Town, and this is the U of L derby…

Its not Plan B but Plan A and since Ghost went on record to claim it was Dusty May, I am going with Mick Cronin.

I didn't say that Mick was the best pick but I have believed he is the most logical pick in that its makes more sense. After Drew won his 1st NC, i didn't expect him to go elsewheres unless Baylor refused to pony up. May was just another coach with a high temperature after being successful 2 years ago. I think he would eventually bolt for Indiana anyway. Seems like he was ok with just the B10.
I went “on record” to say that multiple outlets were reporting May had agreed to a deal - nothing more. I hadn’t expressed an opinion on those circumstances, or May in general, as I didn’t know much about him.

I went “on record” to say that multiple outlets were reporting May had agreed to a deal - nothing more. I hadn’t expressed an opinion on those circumstances, or May in general, as I didn’t know much about him.
You're wasting your time on that one. Reading comprehension is not his jam. He's so bad his straw man arguments are literally accidents.

Reactions: vegasville1
Go all in on Pearl or Oats! I believe Will Wade, Chris Collins, Brad Underwood and Eric Mussleman should also be considered.

Josh Heird inexperience as an AD is the main reason why he was unable to close May. I'm certain Tom Jurich would have sealed the deal. At this stage, go and get the best coach possible and take age/buyouts out of the equation.

Reactions: LoveTheseCards
We should all agree May isn’t heads and shoulders above any of the potential candidates. Missing him isn’t a huge deal.

They land Collins, Halloway, or Williams those are all equal or better choices.

Some posters in this space feared a mid-major hire. Maybe they will get what they want in regards to that, and get a guy that coached in a power league. Then they will get to identify other reasons to be unhappy about the hire.

If it wasn't Pitino or Wright there were gonna be tears. Even Drew didn't get 100% love.

Go all in on Pearl or Oats! I believe Will Wade, Chris Collins, Brad Underwood and Eric Mussleman should also be considered.

Josh Heird inexperience as an AD is the main reason why he was unable to close May. I'm certain Tom Jurich would have sealed the deal. At this stage, go and get the best coach possible and take age/buyouts out of the equation.
Your view from the couch isn’t any better than anyone else’s - you don’t have the first effing clue as to why it happened the way it did.

And for accuracy’s sake - as a one man search committee - Jurich controlled the information so no one would have any clue as to whether one of his candidates said “no” to him. You honestly think his close rate was 100%? 😂😂😂

It’s funny that Drew won the NT and he was given a raise that took him up to 2 1/2 million a year. In today’s world that’s not big money for a title contender coach. He should have left Baylor for being under paid. I would seriously talk to the coaches who took an early exit from the tournament they are currently under some heat.
In regards to Shaheen Holloway I can’t see how he is even being considered the only thing on his resume is that he beat sUcK in the tournament. Apparently that is no big feat because it looks like anybody can beat them in the tournament.

Of the remaining candidates have accomplished anything that screams they will duplicate here? Whoever it is it is going to be a wait see. That is the reality.
The idea that getting someone from the mid major ranks is somehow denigrating is misinformed at best. All of the successful coaches had to start somewhere.
Tbs,finding a young guy who has already shown an ability to recruit,navigate the portal and most importantly win will take careful consideration. Finding a guy with connections throughout the recruiting network who can caress the portal with his free hand won't be easy. If Heird can find that guy,he likely will want the chance of a lifetime to be the coach at The University of Louisville.

Welcome to my Sunday morning knee jerk reaction. File this under the insane ramblings of a lost and confused UL fan who is groping in the dark for any sign of hope.

I hope I’m wrong…..more wrong than I’ve ever been in the past 20 years. But, I fear that Josh Heird has screwed the proverbial pooch. Maybe he still has an ace up his sleeve or there is a rabbit waiting to be pulled out of a hat, but as he sits here right now he seems like a poker player who has been caught bluffing twice and now has another bad hand that he’s not sure how to play. He’s looking at his available cards (pun intended) and not seeing a path to a win.

So, what happens now? To me, it feels like the coaching search is beginning anew. Whatever foundation he built, whatever due diligence he performed and whatever discussions he has had with potential candidates seem out the window. How do you approach a candidate you have had previous talks with and say…”Hey dude….how would you feel about being our third choice and appear desperate for any other job but the one you have?”. Not a conversation you want to have. Between the first two spurned suitors and the coaches who may be offended by their being shoved out of the starting line up, who’s left?

Josh, I’m pulling for you buddy. But forgive me if I have my doubts about your ability to navigate some rough seas ahead. Good luck man.

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
I think we get Holloway, Kelsey. I like Chris Collins. Winning a tournament game at northwestern is the equivalent of a final four at good schools.

An unlikely candidate but could be splashy is Matt Painter. From my limited research, his buyout is only 1 million and he makes 3.6m a year. He is losing a lot and he may feel he has peaked at Purdue. Very similar situation to Chris Mack. We would have to give him close to what we offered Scott Drew though.

Put me down for Pat Kelsey. Like Dusty May, he wins and seems to be a solid guy.

Negatives: He hasn’t had any success in the Tournament yet in 4 appearances but his teams were seeded 13, 13, 12 and 12.

Reactions: shutterbug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT