ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino and UofL Settlement

“Don’t you guys understand anything? It wasn’t about the money for Pitino - it was about future opportunities. Everyone knows how valuable it is to resign versus being fired. Here are some charts that prove it.”
Pie-chart.jpg

Joint statement issued by UofL and Coach Pitino:

EEv9YQbWsAETxbP

Statement issued by Coach Pitino:

EEwEEaMW4AEb2p9

I'm guessing this was more about Pitino making himself more hireable than a monetary award. I can see how this outcome can be viewed as a win-win for both sides.

Nope. This is all about him coaching again and showing up at the Yum Center one day to kick our ass..
I hope he gets that chance. It won't be anywhere near as easy as he currently thinks. His ego has cashed a check his arse can't handle. Not this time.

Joint statement issued by UofL and Coach Pitino:

EEv9YQbWsAETxbP

Statement issued by Coach Pitino:

EEwEEaMW4AEb2p9

I'm guessing this was more about Pitino making himself more hireable than a monetary award. I can see how this outcome can be viewed as a win-win for both sides.

“Against my lawyer’s advice” ... as if a lawyer representing a wealthy client ever advises not to appeal when a ruling goes against the client!

I hope he gets that chance. It won't be anywhere near as easy as he currently thinks. His ego has cashed a check his arse can't handle. Not this time.

Somebody better hire him quickly, because once the NCAA rules on the FBI evidence indicating that UofL was cheating while on probation, Pitino is likely looking at a 10-year show cause penalty.

I'm just glad it's all over with. I hope coach gets another job and comes to the Ky derby

It'll take time, but I agree. I think the NCAA penalties will need to come down and pass, and Mack's Cards fully recovered from them. I loved the 2012 and 2013 Cards teams to death, I'd love to see all of them come back, including Pitino, and have them honored for their accomplishments. Probably a naive wish, but it's my wish and I'd love to see.

It'll take time, but I agree. I think the NCAA penalties will need to come down and pass, and Mack's Cards fully recovered from them. I loved the 2012 and 2013 Cards teams to death, I'd love to see all of them come back, including Pitino, and have them honored for their accomplishments. Probably a naive wish, but it's my wish and I'd love to see.

Give it time. I believe they will all be honored.

Reasonable people can disagree on whether or not Pitino knew or had any involvement. But for hypothetical argument's sake, let's side with him and go with he knew nothing and had nothing to do with any of recruiting scandals, and apply the analogy to an executive in the corporate world:

Corporate scandal 1: The CEO of a company bends a well-endowed cougar over a table at a restaurant. The cougar extorts the executive and it goes very public. While it's immoral to bend married cougars over a table while you are also married, it is a private affair. Still, the Board is embarrassed on the company's behalf so removal is discussed but never goes anywhere due to the company's success under this CEO.

Corporate scandal 2: HR staff hired directly by this CEO brings hookers in for the talent (and their family) in town for interviews. This gets in the papers. The CEO has nothing to do with it. The Board is enraged and even embarrassed by how ugly the hookers are, it but stays with the CEO anyway.

Corporate scandal 3: HR staff hired directly by this CEO uses fraud to entice potential talent to work for the CEO. The CEO has nothing to do with it but the Board has had enough and FARRRs that dam sonofabeyitch and cleans house, FARRRR'n many sonsofbeyitches.

The hypothetical isn't perfect, but it makes the point. People get fired for a lot less, and it's hard to argue the CEO was fired without cause.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like he already has a potential job lined up and by doing this he will b able to capitalize on it.

Reactions: zipp
“Against my lawyer’s advice” ... as if a lawyer representing a wealthy client ever advises not to appeal when a ruling goes against the client!
If you're alleging what I think, I've never met a good lawyer that accepts a case overstating its chances for success so that he/she can rack up legal expenses. And my guess is Pitino has among the better lawyers around.
Somebody better hire him quickly, because once the NCAA rules on the FBI evidence indicating that UofL was cheating while on probation, Pitino is likely looking at a 10-year show cause penalty.
U of L was not on probation when the pay-for-play stuff went down...

Reasonable people can disagree on whether or not Pitino knew or had any involvement. But for hypothetical argument's sake, let's side with him and go with he knew nothing and had nothing to do with any of recruiting scandals, and apply the analogy to an executive in the corporate world:

Corporate scandal 1: The CEO of a company bends a well-endowed cougar over a table at a restaurant. The cougar extorts the executive and it goes very public. While it's immoral to bend married cougars over a table while you are also married, it is a private affair. Still, the Board is embarrassed on the company's behalf so removal is discussed but never goes anywhere due to the company's success under this CEO.

Corporate scandal 2: HR staff hired directly by this CEO brings hookers in for the talent (and their family) in town for interviews. This gets in the papers. The CEO has nothing to do with it. The Board is enraged and even embarrassed by how ugly the hookers are, it but stays with the CEO anyway.

Corporate scandal 3: HR staff hired directly by this CEO uses fraud to entice potential talent to work for the CEO. The CEO has nothing to do with it but the Board has had enough and FARRRs that dam sonofabeyitch and cleans house, FARRRR'n many sonsofbeyitches.

The hypothetical isn't perfect, but it makes the point. People get fired for a lot less, and it's hard to argue the CEO was fired without cause.
How about committing a felony crime in the course of doing business for your employer?...

LINK

If you're alleging what I think, I've never met a good lawyer that accepts a case overstating its chances for success so that he/she can rack up legal expenses. And my guess is Pitino has among the better lawyers around.

U of L was not on probation when the pay-for-play stuff went down...

That’s 100% dead wrong. UofL’s case for strippergate came to a conclusion in June 2017, and Pitino’s assistant was caught on the FBI wiretap in July 2017. Read Jody Demling’s article about this on cbssports.com from September 2017.

That’s 100% dead wrong. UofL’s case for strippergate came to a conclusion in June 2017, and Pitino’s assistant was caught on the FBI wiretap in July 2017. Read Jody Demling’s article about this on cbssports.com from September 2017.
That's incorrect. No penalties were imposed until the APPEAL was accepted by U of L. June 2017 was the date of the NCAA decision.

Had U of L won the appeal, we would not have gone on--then back off--of probation. That's lunacy...

Good. He deserves a lot worse. CRP honestly deserved to have Louisville come after money he was paid over the years. I have no sympathy for him and all the embarrassment he ultimately caused us by hiring not one, but two idiots, which was all 150% his fault. I'm glad he'll never have the opportunity to work with a former player of mine who is currently on the roster, he doesn't deserve to be around the great kids we have/had in our program, past current or future!!! I hope we never bring him back but bring all the former players back, absolutely.

Filing an appeal might stay the imposition of the penalties, but I'm not sure how much that really matters. The decision was released well before Fair was caught on tape. I doubt a technical argument about the timing will be persuasive.

Probation is a punishment in itself...

"Probation, by the very Latin roots of the word, means a testing to determine character and qualification..."

LINK

You aren't subjected to it unless your penalties are finalized, incl. monetary, vacated wins, etc.

We were under separate investigation while the new infractions occurred. That's the more factual statement...

Good. He deserves a lot worse. CRP honestly deserved to have Louisville come after money he was paid over the years. I have no sympathy for him and all the embarrassment he ultimately caused us by hiring not one, but two idiots, which was all 150% his fault. I'm glad he'll never have the opportunity to work with a former player of mine who is currently on the roster, he doesn't deserve to be around the great kids we have/had in our program, past current or future!!! I hope we never bring him back but bring all the former players back, absolutely.

Sadly Jurich should have fired him during Sypher. That morality clause was a fake and UofL was drug though the mud on that one. Then the guy get's 2 more scandals/cheating incidents. Still we have Zipp who fully thinks it's all ok no matter what.

Dunno if he'll ever step foot back into the practice facility or anywhere on campus. I'm sure Mack would have him if he wanted to be there; I just think there's just too much baggage on RP's end.

Reactions: ciswilldean3215
Sadly Jurich should have fired him during Sypher. /QUOTE]
The thing with that is that the thing with Sypher at Porcinis happened in 2003. It wasn't until 2010 that Sypher attempted to extort money from Pitino. At that point, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect that he should have been fired for it. They were both consenting adults at the time, and seven years later, based on her actions, Sypher was the only one who faced repercussions, and rightly so. All this moralizing is comical.

Sadly Jurich should have fired him during Sypher. That morality clause was a fake and UofL was drug though the mud on that one. Then the guy get's 2 more scandals/cheating incidents. Still we have Zipp who fully thinks it's all ok no matter what.

Dunno if he'll ever step foot back into the practice facility or anywhere on campus. I'm sure Mack would have him if he wanted to be there; I just think there's just too much baggage on RP's end.
'zipp' doesn't recall reading all of that genius in action when the old issues came up. If you were that smart, you didn't speak up. That's on you...

Most of the discussion regarding the settlement with Pitino seems to have centered around the fact that it was for $0 to Pitino. But I think the language of a major part of the statement that both parties released was even more remarkable:

“Nevertheless, there were NCAA infractions during his term which led to serious consequences for the University. Although these infractions may not have occurred at Coach Pitino's direction or with his knowledge, the problems leading to the NCAA infractions happened under his leadership.”

Note the use of the words “these infractions may not have occurred at Coach Pitino’s direction or with his knowledge”. It was not stated that the infractions “did not occur” at his direction or with his knowledge, nor was there any statement totally exonerating him. I always felt that Pitino’s lawsuit was at least as much about his national reputation as it was about money, so it is remarkable to me that all he got was a statement that he “may not” have been involved. Seems to me that the mediation convinced him that while he might possibly be able to get a few million if his case went to trial, that there was also enough evidence about the lack of NCCA compliance among his staff (looks like at least 4 coaches involved in various shenanigans), and maybe even more evidence would come out in a trial, that he would never get any statement out of the university or out of a trial that gave him some sort of all-clear. Like most everyone else, I am glad this is over with. Great settlement by the UofL administration!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT