ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino and the media

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one works the refs any harder than CRP. He has done it for his entire coaching career including his time at UK and has been no more or less successful with it than any other coach except for coach k. I am sure that WKU's coach would agree with that after what took place a few days ago.
Are your refering to WKU shooting 20 FT and UL 18? If not what took place that your speaking about?

Reactions: earsky
Are your refering to WKU shooting 20 FT and UL 18? If not what took place that your speaking about?

The number of freethrows don't tell the full story. When the fouls are called and who they are called on are much more revealing. It isn't uncommon at all for refs to attempt to even the calls before the end of games. Often times when that happens, it is too late because the damage has been done.

As for the number of fouls called on UofL, the number was rather small considering the extremely aggressive defensive game that you played. It is very reasonable for a pressing team to collect lots of files. It use to happen a lot with CRP's UK teams. Most coaches that use the press believe the refs will eventually accept their aggressive play and stop calling fouls which does happen a lot more than it should.

Odd. I could have sworn I saw LPT pressing U of L into turnovers as well. Guess if it's not called a "press", you don't foul as much.

:rolleyes:

"Elite program", my a$$...

...I have ignored your name calling as I don't have time for that childish behavior and its your board. You continue to bring "zipp" to the conversation except insults and childish antics.
A factual description is not a name or insult. And your effort to ignore ain't what it could be...

There's a built-in "ignore" feature which let's you troll without having to read my posts. Try it or quit b!tching. My bet is like most slapd!cks, you paradoxically can't stand not knowing what 'zipp' has to say.

The number of freethrows don't tell the full story. When the fouls are called and who they are called on are much more revealing. It isn't uncommon at all for refs to attempt to even the calls before the end of games. Often times when that happens, it is too late because the damage has been done.

As for the number of fouls called on UofL, the number was rather small considering the extremely aggressive defensive game that you played. It is very reasonable for a pressing team to collect lots of files. It use to happen a lot with CRP's UK teams. Most coaches that use the press believe the refs will eventually accept their aggressive play and stop calling fouls which does happen a lot more than it should.

When nothing was called after Murry walked and then passed the ball to himself,very next play Matz going for the ball and a u of k player pulling him back by his jersey still nothing called.I knew what the outcome was going to be.Your right,its who the fouls are called on and when they are called or not.

Like I said before,we have had many years back to back where one or more of the starters go down with injury,and still Rick does a masterful job with what he has, to finish the season better than what was expected.The way he puts a team together and has them ready for March has been amazing.Even the year we were upset by Morehead you could see how great they were playing in the Big East tournament going into the NCAA.
Its laughable when I hear U of k fans say the NIT year when Nerlins got hurt.That team was headed to the NIT with or without Noel.Cal didn't have the best of the best and did a poor job of coaching the team.Uof K fan says our NIT team lost to your Championship team by only 3 points.The game in December was not our Championship team and was not your NIT team.Pitino did a great coaching job and Cal gave up on his team long before Noel got hurt they regressed with his coaching.
Also,with all the nasty,hateful,things said to Pitino about him,his family,and his players he should have gave the u of k fans the finger years ago.They deserve it! EFF YOU BIG BLEW...and I mean it

This whole season has to be looked from a different view with the the scandal. Pitino has always taken losses very hard. There have been a handful of occasions over the years that he has bailed on the post game interview However, for the most part he is a really good interview and upheld his contractual requirements. This year he has clearly decided he is going to handle the media obligations differently because frankly he is pissed.

He is pissed the scandal happened
He is pissed where it happened
He is pissed at who created the scandal
He is pissed his entire legacy has been impacted by the scandal
He is pissed he can't address the issue on his terms
He is pissed how the media (local and national) has attacked him.
He may be pissed at Louisville administration
He is pissed his team doesn't get national respect
He is always pissed when his teams lose games he thinks they should have won.
He is pissed UK fans don't appreciate what he did for their program

Pitino never complained about the officiating, until this year. Pitino has never been disrespectful to another opponent, until this year.

I don't think him being upset at the world has impacted his ability or desire to coach this team. I think he truly wants to see Lee and Lewis have a great season and NCAA tournament. He is going to do whatever it takes to make sure those two things happen. The media, on the other hand, is another story. This season he thinks it is better for him limit his access to the media.

I don't blame him. His entire coaching career has been about running a clean program. The scandal changed that entire narrative over night and media has buried him for it.

It would not surprise me, especially if they make a deep run in the tournament, if he steps away after this year. He has been at Louisville for a really long time and he may feel he needs to move on.
I wish I could "like" this post a few hundred times. That was impressive and rather thorough.

The media - and I especially include the Louisville media, although the 30-something year old ex-bloggers and radio heads like Parrish and Goodman - the "Mavens" of hoops in the national media also suck to a stunningly inappropriate degree - will not be tamed by anything Rick says in a 5 minute presser following a loss.

Rick has become as protective of this team's hearts and emotions as a mother lion. IN an unfair world, it has suddenly become Louisville's turn as victims in a truly cruel turn of Fate.

I personally am on record as saying I wish he had dropped trou and mooned the goobers screaming obscenities at him on his way put of the arena. The respect he has historically nursed for UK fans is fast eroding. The result is UK's loss, in the end, and nothing more. Rick is in a tragic situation, made so by a jealous mob. How he fares in this strange season of Louisville basketball will be one of the most fascinating chapters of his entire legacy.

Reactions: bluescat92

When you are presented with facts...this is the lame answer you have? Problem is you spewed off before checking any stats...so the refs get together toward end of game and say...we need to even the fouls out....REALLY!!

I've seen a couple of people in this thread say that Pitino sent out his players to talk to the media in place of him. I'm not sure where they're getting that, but that's just not true. The media has access to the locker room after every game to interview players. The only person that Pitino sent out in place of him to talk to the media was Ralph Willard.

Speaking to Bob Valvano after the game is in no way the equivalent to speaking to the assembled national media
Look at how much the national media cared about the game when we played MSU. It was a good game by 2 closely matched teams and the ESPN'ers spent the whole halftime on the KP BS! Bozo was begging the UK fans to bring signs and highlight the KP issue. There is nothing to gain from doing something he doesn't have to do, because the national media doesn't care about how hard his guys are working or how hard they are playing.

:confused:

A factual description is not a name or insult. And your effort to ignore ain't what it could be...

There's a built-in "ignore" feature which let's you troll without having to read my posts. Try it or quit b!tching. My bet is like most slapd!cks, you paradoxically can't stand not knowing what 'zipp' has to say.

Nothing you have said is factual...Everything you typed is your opinion of UK fans...A factual description would be something like UK fans wear blue or UL has one of the nicest arenas in all of basketball. An adjective that you choose to label someone with isn't factual. I won't block you and it isn't because I care or want to know what you have to say. I won't block you because that is what you want me to do. If you don't want to know what I have to say, by all means block me.

I've seen a couple of people in this thread say that Pitino sent out his players to talk to the media in place of him. I'm not sure where they're getting that, but that's just not true. The media has access to the locker room after every game to interview players...
And the players can choose whether or not they want to speak.

B!tchers and whiners typically make stuff up as they go along if it fits their agenda.

I listened to RP on his radio interview with Bob after the game. He still was furious about the game and the calls that were made. CRP is sick and tired of coaches like Izzo and Cal working the refs so hard that the ref finally start giving them their calls. (No, he didn't mention names, but anyone that watched MSU & UK) CRP has always hated coaches that did this button pushing on refs. So CRP has decided, that it's what gets you the calls, he's going to start doing it himself. IMO CRP was so fricking angry.....it was not a good idea for him to go into that media room with the wolves. It would have been a bigger story because he would have blown it. So expect some excitement on the Cards sideline.
Yep. This is a great post and may give some insight as to why he didn't address the media. As you said, the refs clearly gave all the calls to UK because of Cow's relentless pressure on them. If he would have gone to the presser afterwards, I am sure he would have been tempted to lay into the officiating which would have resulted in a big fine or possibly a suspension. Better for all of us if he just step back and not put himself in that situation. Good call on Rick's part and really not a big deal. So he didn't come out and give a few meaningless quotes after the game. Do we really care about that?

Reactions: catmasterson
once again zipp the conversation and question is could RP of handle the press better to put the light on his young men who just played a helluva a game.
And the players can choose whether or not they want to speak.

B!tchers and whiners typically make stuff up as they go along if it fits their agenda.

wow zipp in your last sentence you described your entire posting career. you are agenda driven and you bitch and cry more then any other poster. lol man you need help

Reactions: conquecj and blubo
Odd. I could have sworn I saw LPT pressing U of L into turnovers as well. Guess if it's not called a "press", you don't foul as much.

:rolleyes:

I guess you didn't look at the stats. There was little to no difference in the number of fouls called. You were in the bonus at or before the 10 minute point in the second half. So, I guess the facts don't support your opinion.

Lmd

Once the Louisville fans start calling you names, they ban you.

Well, I haven't experienced that yet and I am certainly not going to be disrespectful on this board by participating in name calling.

once again zipp the conversation and question is could RP of handle the press better to put the light on his young men who just played a helluva a game.

wow zipp in your last sentence you described your entire posting career. you are agenda driven and you bitch and cry more then any other poster. lol man you need help
Thanks again for the valuable slapd!ck advice. But I'm not the guy dodging the facts...

The FACT is the U of L kids don't have to talk to the press anymore than the head coach does. They all get to choose.

I'm perfectly good with that. And no slapd!ck b!tching and whining about that.

...It is very reasonable for a pressing team to collect lots of files...

I guess you didn't look at the stats. There was little to no difference in the number of fouls called. You were in the bonus at or before the 10 minute point in the second half. So, I guess the facts don't support your opinion.
I wasn't making that point. Your team was pressing. Did it "collect lots of files"?

Cute. LPT fans commiserating on a U of L message board.

Last time I checked, neither of you have to be here.

If you check a little further beyond the last time you checked, you will determine that you don't have to be here either. As a matter of fact, no one has to be here. You don't have to be at all if you want to get technical.

If you check a little further beyond the last time you checked, you will determine that you don't have to be here either. As a matter of fact, no one has to be here. You don't have to be at all if you want to get technical.
Well I sure as hell don't wanna get technical. :rolleyes:

But I'm on my home board. The slappys are not. That's a huge difference. And just for the hell of it, ask the slappys on YOUR home board if I'm welcome to mingle with the chicken sh!ts.

Last edited:
Dude

We dont welcome opposing fans with open arms, but we arent hateful like this either. And we dont autoban other fan bases

Dude

We dont welcome opposing fans with open arms, but we arent hateful like this either. And we dont autoban other fan bases

I'm going to contest you on this post. Have you READ your board at all? Read the 284 page thread on the scandal on your board (or any other thread on your board for that matter) and tell me there isn't a TON of hate on your board (including photoshops), or that visitors aren't treated extremely hateful. As far as the autobans and hateful treatment, also go back to read your board and see how many visitors from ANY fan base posts on Rafters. Then come back here and count how many visitors, especially UK posters, including yourself, are posting here. You count any and all visitors to Rafters, and I will only count UK posters here, and I garuntee its close to a 10-1 ratio of visitors who post here vs on Rafters. I don't care what your posters post on your board regarding our program, as long as you behave when you post here, but don't piss on us there, and try to tell us it's raining here....it won't fly.

What about the national media folks that were at the game?

As someone stated, he could control the after game narrative and talk about how hard his guys played, how they could do damage in March, etc, etc. Instead by his absence he made himself the story again.
Just like he was able to control it when ESPN and Dakich torpedoed us with 5 years of continual issues during halftime of the MSU game. You must be extremely naïve if you don't believe some clown with a press pass isn't going to try to get a moment of glory after a high profile game.

I'm going to contest you on this post. Have you READ your board at all? Read the 284 page thread on the scandal on your board (or any other thread on your board for that matter) and tell me there isn't a TON of hate on your board (including photoshops), or that visitors aren't treated extremely hateful. As far as the autobans and hateful treatment, also go back to read your board and see how many visitors from ANY fan base posts on Rafters. Then come back here and count how many visitors, especially UK posters, including yourself, are posting here. You count any and all visitors to Rafters, and I will only count UK posters here, and I garuntee its close to a 10-1 ratio of visitors who post here vs on Rafters. I don't care what your posters post on your board regarding our program, as long as you behave when you post here, but don't piss on us there, and try to tell us it's raining here....it won't fly.
If what you just stated is true and you are a Mod, I suggest you do a better job of taking out the trash here!!! You allow UK posters to come over here and put down our programs. You seem proud that this board tolerates these clowns. They are not here to carry on intelligent conversation, the are here to bait. You Mods have allowed it to the point that the non member forums are almost unreadable.

If what you just stated is true and you are a Mod, I suggest you do a better job of taking out the trash here!!! You allow UK posters to come over here and put down our programs. You seem proud that this board tolerates these clowns. They are not here to carry on intelligent conversation, the are here to bait. You Mods have allowed it to the point that the non member forums are almost unreadable.

If you see any content you feel is "putting down our program", please click on the "Report" button on that post and report it; and I assure you that I will read and consider what you are reporting. I try very hard to monitor most content and address trouble makers, but I don't/can't read all content. If you could actually see how much "trolling/trash" commentary is deleted, and offenders dealt with, you would understand how big an undertaking it is to keep up with, and keep out "the trash". If you read their board, you would also see that many over there feel, like this particular poster, that any and all visitors here get banned. Alas...it's tough to please everyone, but a piece of cake to piss off everybody. And lastly...any feedback is appreciated, please contact me by starting a private conversation with me by left clicking on my name.

Last edited:
Reactions: PHCARD

If you see any content you feel is "putting down our program", please click on the "Report" button on that post and report it; and I assure you that I will read and consider what you are reporting. I try very hard to monitor most content and address trouble makers, but I don't/can't read all content. If you could actually see how much "trolling/trash" commentary is deleted, and offenders dealt with, you would understand how big an undertaking it is to keep up with, and keep out "the trash". If you read their board, you would also see that many over there feel, like this particular poster, that any and all visitors here get banned. Alas...it's tough to please everyone, but a piece of cake to piss off everybody. And lastly...any feedback is appreciated, please contact me by starting a private conversation woth me by left clicking on my name.

Steelers, everyone understands things are happening that most don't see. You are getting feedback about what we still do see. Are you saying it's to much work to get it all cleaned up? Does the board need more moderators? Or are moderating we are getting what you feel is appropriate, hence why we see the posts we do? This is not private conversation material, these are questions plenty of us on this board have.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Steelers, everyone understands things are happening that most don't see. You are getting feedback about what we still do see. Are you saying it's to much work to get it all cleaned up? Does the board need more moderators? Or are moderating we are getting what you feel is appropriate, hence why we see the posts we do? This is not private conversation material, these are questions plenty of us on this board have.

Good question. And TBH, what I think doesn't matter. This is your/our board and what "the board" thinks is the only thing that matters. I can only speak for myself as a moderator, but I don't have any other responsibility/involvement on the site other than board management, where (I THINK) some of the other mods have other site/job responsibilities that may prevent them from monitoring the actual message boards as much as I am able to. I saw what I felt was a need for a moderator who WAS online and on the message boards more often than what I THOUGHT guys like Howie were, given their other business/job responsibilities. Therefore, I stepped up and contacted Howie and offered my time. If others feel there is still need for more board policing, I would think Howie might be interested in accepting the offer to help. BUT, know first, as much as I joked when I became a mod about the pay and benefits....there are none, nada, zilch, zip. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by becoming a mod. It is a thankless "job" where you read and hear the absolute worst from all sides. Bottom line...if you have question or concerns, feel free to contact me, and I will address your thoughts as best as I am able. Beyond that, if you feel the board needs some "assistance" speak up, and maybe even step up.

Steeler how you and zipp have lasted this long while calling names , and you banning people for saying and doing a lot less then for example zipp, blows my mind. You may need to go read your rules and regs as a moderator. I can have Mr.Lawson from Rivals email you them again to go back over if you would like. Just in this post you have had one poster use language that unacceptable and direct it towards another poster. You ignore and join in. I monitor many boards. Being a moderator has the responsibility of up holding the integrity of rivals and protecting all posters from attacks and censorship. Remember reading that. Anyone can have an opinion. As long as you stay with in the rules of posting it. But calling people slapd!cks and using other profanity towards other posters i would hope you would stop. Instead you join in the fun. Hmmm

Well I sure as hell don't wanna get technical. :rolleyes:

But I'm on my home board. The slappys are not. That's a huge difference. And just for the hell of it, ask the slappys on YOUR home board if I'm welcome to mingle with the chicken sh!ts.

Not sure chicken sh!ts is a word i would use when describing another person. But i guess its better then slapd!cks.

Zipp in all honesty if you would try to have a civil conversation with out trying to degrade all uk then maybe you would be accepted. But guy you go on the defensive and try to put anything uk down. Anything good uk has ever done im sure you have a negative reason why. So with how you carry yourself you really think you would be welcomed? Hell we all remember the pic you posted of a child and child molester. You wouldn't even apologize for that and say you went to far. Honestly i think you need a vacation away from these boards.

Just like he was able to control it when ESPN and Dakich torpedoed us with 5 years of continual issues during halftime of the MSU game. You must be extremely naïve if you don't believe some clown with a press pass isn't going to try to get a moment of glory after a high profile game.

Based on your thoughts, I guess UofL should just pull all their games from TV?

One thing I'm sure of, is that Pitino can handle himself quite well in press conferences. If some clown reporter tried to steamroll Pitino is a presser, I'm pretty confident that Pitino would make him or her look like a clown.

If you see any content you feel is "putting down our program", please click on the "Report" button on that post and report it; and I assure you that I will read and consider what you are reporting. I try very hard to monitor most content and address trouble makers, but I don't/can't read all content. If you could actually see how much "trolling/trash" commentary is deleted, and offenders dealt with, you would understand how big an undertaking it is to keep up with, and keep out "the trash". If you read their board, you would also see that many over there feel, like this particular poster, that any and all visitors here get banned. Alas...it's tough to please everyone, but a piece of cake to piss off everybody. And lastly...any feedback is appreciated, please contact me by starting a private conversation with me by left clicking on my name.
Lmdcat and whhs22...you can start by gettin g rid of these two...If you look at any number of threads, they are only tryi g to denegrate our program with their comments. I notice that others feel the same way as I do. This is our board...not a Cat forum...I dont want to read their Cat drivel or I would be on their board.

Reactions: Jay Reimenschneider
Not sure chicken sh!ts is a word i would use when describing another person. But i guess its better then slapd!cks.

Zipp in all honesty if you would try to have a civil conversation with out trying to degrade all uk then maybe you would be accepted. But guy you go on the defensive and try to put anything uk down. Anything good uk has ever done im sure you have a negative reason why. So with how you carry yourself you really think you would be welcomed? Hell we all remember the pic you posted of a child and child molester. You wouldn't even apologize for that and say you went to far. Honestly i think you need a vacation away from these boards.

Mods please ban this clown

Steeler how you and zipp have lasted this long while calling names , and you banning people for saying and doing a lot less then for example zipp, blows my mind. You may need to go read your rules and regs as a moderator. I can have Mr.Lawson from Rivals email you them again to go back over if you would like. Just in this post you have had one poster use language that unacceptable and direct it towards another poster. You ignore and join in. I monitor many boards. Being a moderator has the responsibility of up holding the integrity of rivals and protecting all posters from attacks and censorship. Remember reading that. Anyone can have an opinion. As long as you stay with in the rules of posting it. But calling people slapd!cks and using other profanity towards other posters i would hope you would stop. Instead you join in the fun. Hmmm

^^^^^slaps!ck

^^^^^slaps!ck

See, this is the problem.

Regardless of team affiliation, there are some baseline "manners" that are expected. The Louisville fans are much more malicious than the UK fans. I have a hard time believing Steelers isnt being inappropriate as a moderator banning UK fans left and right for discussing the scandal, Rick, etc. while allowing ULfans to say the vulgar things they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT