ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino and the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I don't care if Pitino spoke with the media or not after the game. I also don't care if he flipped the bird at one of their fans because they most likely were jerks. However if Pitino isn't going to speak to the media then don't expect the media to give Pitino any leniency on this latest scandal. The people in the media have a job to do, and having access to the coach is part of accomplishing that job. So when you start talking about the vast media conspiracy against UofL, please realize that the captain of the ship is letting the media completely steer the ship by his absence.

Knuckle,

Let me ask you this. Do you think it would matter what CRP says? He has already been accused, tried and convicted by the media.

Yes, I think it would matter because they could write a story regarding his thoughts on the team. Instead all you will see if how Pitino is a sore loser and that his actions are indicative of.....whatever they want to write

Reactions: awf
Reactions: awf
I can handle that as a fan and I'm pretty sure Rick can handle that.

I for one don't think their is any vast media conspiracy against UofL, I just don't like the fact that Rick Bozich has suddenly developed a big axe to grind with Rick Pitino. He's certainly entitled to his opinion but him saying that he believed that Rick KNEW about what was going on at Minardi Hall is almost absurd and reeks of someone with an agenda or at least of a boring writer desperate for attention. His little hard on for Pitino is sad and even more unprofessional than Rick skipping a press conference.

I agree with most of what you said but what gets me about the suddenly butt-hurt local media guys is that they have seen Rick do this for years. Should he be at the network pressers? Probably but the media guys whining the loudest are the ones who love to kick someone when they are at a low point.

Listening to these hacks lately would also have you believe that the smarmy Calipari is suddenly Mother Teresa. Ridiculous.

I can handle that as a fan and I'm pretty sure Rick can handle that.

I for one don't think their is any vast media conspiracy against UofL, I just don't like the fact that Rick Bozich has suddenly developed a big axe to grind with Rick Pitino. He's certainly entitled to his opinion but him saying that he believed that Rick KNEW about what was going on at Minardi Hall is almost absurd and reeks of someone with an agenda or at least of a boring writer desperate for attention. His little hard on for Pitino is sad and even more unprofessional than Rick skipping a press conference.

I agree with most of what you said but what gets me about the suddenly butt-hurt local media guys is that they have seen Rick do this for years. Should he be at the network pressers? Probably but the media guys whining the loudest are the ones who love to kick someone when they are at a low point.

Listening to these hacks lately would also have you believe that the smarmy Calipari is suddenly Mother Teresa. Ridiculous.
Exactly. I don't blame coach for telling the local TV and even paper hacks to go pound sand. He'll do his required media interviews after each conference game so the local hacks can once again try to find another nugget they feel is worthy of kicking him around on. Screw all the local media hacks. If they want interviews, then maybe they should try to just report the damn news instead of injecting their own opinions into everything they write. No wonder he flips them off (pun intended).

not sure he said he would not be doing the media before the game. my understanding was the media was told once he was on his way, then that he was outside the locker room and finally that Willard would do the interview. if that's the case sounds like RP did not make his mind up until he was on his way out the door.

it's well with in his rights not to do out of conf media after games. but in my mind I would think he would of wanted to publicly congratulate his players on a great game. not sure most knew, but out of everyone of those young men for UL on that floor sat not one had ever scored a point against UK , much less at Rupp in that environment. those young men deserve all the credit. I became a huge fan of those young men. just the grit and fight. to have a chance to win it on the last shot shows the characters on that team.

I'll get slammed for this. but I believe if RP does not make it about him this year, and it does not become a circus surrounding antics, this team will be dangerous in March. I hate after a helluva game by players who are not supposed to be NBA lottery picks , all we are getting is RP and what he should of or should not of done after the game.

in all honesty this should not be about Cal or RP. should be about a group of young men on both sides stepping up to the challenge and entertaining us for a few hours.

He let it be known BEFORE the game, that Williard was going to do the postgame pressers.

Screw the local, cayuts loving media.
I'll never understand how people could say that the CJ "loves the Cats" after they printed a cartoon of Cal as a cry baby. Didn't they also print a cartoon of UK going to the NIT right after Noel blew out his knee?

I'll never understand how people could say that the CJ "loves the Cats" after they printed a cartoon of Cal as a cry baby. Didn't they also print a cartoon of UK going to the NIT right after Noel blew out his knee?
It's definitely different (for the better) since they sent sports editor Blueboy Harry Bryan onto Sunset Manor awhile back.:D

Exactly. I don't blame coach for telling the local TV and even paper hacks to go pound sand. He'll do his required media interviews after each conference game so the local hacks can once again try to find another nugget they feel is worthy of kicking him around on. Screw all the local media hacks. If they want interviews, then maybe they should try to just report the damn news instead of injecting their own opinions into everything they write. No wonder he flips them off (pun intended).

What about the national media folks that were at the game?

As someone stated, he could control the after game narrative and talk about how hard his guys played, how they could do damage in March, etc, etc. Instead by his absence he made himself the story again.

What about the national media folks that were at the game?

As someone stated, he could control the after game narrative and talk about how hard his guys played, how they could do damage in March, etc, etc. Instead by his absence he made himself the story again.

The first question out of anyone's mouth nationally would have been the ongoing investigation which he can't discuss because of the gag order from the NCAA and the UofL president. He's tried to control the narrative on more than one occasion and it always comes back around. I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with it.

The first question out of anyone's mouth nationally would have been the ongoing investigation which he can't discuss because of the gag order from the NCAA and the UofL president. He's tried to control the narrative on more than one occasion and it always comes back around. I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with it.

Could he not say, I cannot answer that, but what I can say is that these kids have nothing to do with it, they are playing their butts off and we are gonna be a great team. How about something like that?

Again, by not showing at the presser, he only creates more drama.

Could he not say, I cannot answer that, but what I can say is that these kids have nothing to do with it, they are playing their butts off and we are gonna be a great team. How about something like that?

Again, by not showing at the presser, he only creates more drama.
Hank, I know YOU know and you just want me to say it so I will just to end this. Pitino loves the drama. He's been accused of being a drama queen more than once throughout his career. Maybe, just maybe that's the narrative. Create the drama and put all the attention on him instead of anything else. Can you honestly not see that?

Hank, I know YOU know and you just want me to say it so I will just to end this. Pitino loves the drama. He's been accused of being a drama queen more than once throughout his career. Maybe, just maybe that's the narrative. Create the drama and put all the attention on him instead of anything else. Can you honestly not see that?

I can see that, but it's a bad way to handle things. It continues a negative narrative around the program when there is actually an amazing group of guys who could be talked about, much to the betterment of the university right now.

just really think UL should be about the young men who just went into one of the most hostile environments for the first time ever and stood toe to toe.

RP has a habit of making the journey about him. sorry his journey is a lot different then if he had just put the attention on these young men. it's not about 1-8 or how fans pushed his buttons. it's about a group of young men coming together and battling.

RP can control and divert the media. at least give it a try. I think your players have earned that.

I don't think the investigation would've been brought up by the local media following the game. I think all that can be said has been said. I think Pitino knew he was going to be asked tough questions about his record vs UK or against Cal. Pitino probably took the high road by not doing the press conference. If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Two days later when he does speak on the game the highest praise he was able to give UK (from what I've read) was saying that we won because he were hitting threes from half court. Essentially saying that it boiled down to UK hitting lucky shots. If Rick 2 days removed from the emotions of the game couldn't come up with something less bitter then speaking in the heat of the moment would've been a bad idea

I listened to RP on his radio interview with Bob after the game. He still was furious about the game and the calls that were made. CRP is sick and tired of coaches like Izzo and Cal working the refs so hard that the ref finally start giving them their calls. (No, he didn't mention names, but anyone that watched MSU & UK) CRP has always hated coaches that did this button pushing on refs. So CRP has decided, that it's what gets you the calls, he's going to start doing it himself. IMO CRP was so fricking angry.....it was not a good idea for him to go into that media room with the wolves. It would have been a bigger story because he would have blown it. So expect some excitement on the Cards sideline.

Wave 3 showed a video last night dated I think Dec 3rd about missing post game media interviews. Basically what he said was that time right after the game is valuable to him and the team to go over 5 things he felt the team needed to improve or did wrong. He wants to do it then because it is fresh on these kids minds. In essence he said he owes that time to his team not the media (especially since they have been unkind to him)

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Not blaming him for not doing the press after the game. Just saying RP is a smart guy. He has been doing this a long time, im sure RP could of flipped the script on some idiot reporters.

He sent his players to the wolves. Honestly RP could of walked in to that room and owned it. Instead he created a circus. I have read one story about the great game played. There are multiple stories about finger gate and no show RP. Just sad. Those young men deserve better after the performance they put on.

Reactions: cwcat
This whole season has to be looked from a different view with the the scandal. Pitino has always taken losses very hard. There have been a handful of occasions over the years that he has bailed on the post game interview However, for the most part he is a really good interview and upheld his contractual requirements. This year he has clearly decided he is going to handle the media obligations differently because frankly he is pissed.

He is pissed the scandal happened
He is pissed where it happened
He is pissed at who created the scandal
He is pissed his entire legacy has been impacted by the scandal
He is pissed he can't address the issue on his terms
He is pissed how the media (local and national) has attacked him.
He may be pissed at Louisville administration
He is pissed his team doesn't get national respect
He is always pissed when his teams lose games he thinks they should have won.
He is pissed UK fans don't appreciate what he did for their program

Pitino never complained about the officiating, until this year. Pitino has never been disrespectful to another opponent, until this year.

I don't think him being upset at the world has impacted his ability or desire to coach this team. I think he truly wants to see Lee and Lewis have a great season and NCAA tournament. He is going to do whatever it takes to make sure those two things happen. The media, on the other hand, is another story. This season he thinks it is better for him limit his access to the media.

I don't blame him. His entire coaching career has been about running a clean program. The scandal changed that entire narrative over night and media has buried him for it.

It would not surprise me, especially if they make a deep run in the tournament, if he steps away after this year. He has been at Louisville for a really long time and he may feel he needs to move on.

I listened to RP on his radio interview with Bob after the game. He still was furious about the game and the calls that were made. CRP is sick and tired of coaches like Izzo and Cal working the refs so hard that the ref finally start giving them their calls. (No, he didn't mention names, but anyone that watched MSU & UK) CRP has always hated coaches that did this button pushing on refs. So CRP has decided, that it's what gets you the calls, he's going to start doing it himself. IMO CRP was so fricking angry.....it was not a good idea for him to go into that media room with the wolves. It would have been a bigger story because he would have blown it. So expect some excitement on the Cards sideline.

No one works the refs any harder than CRP. He has done it for his entire coaching career including his time at UK and has been no more or less successful with it than any other coach except for coach k. I am sure that WKU's coach would agree with that after what took place a few days ago.

What I remember taking place was a well coached team making a great run to get back in,tiring,then falling apart late.I probably won't linger to see if you comment,like you.

What I remember taking place was a well coached team making a great run to get back in,tiring,then falling apart late.I probably won't linger to see if you comment,like you.

That is the way the winning team always view the outcome.

As a UK fan, let me ask a couple questions based on what has recently come out as RP's reason behind not going to the media. Within the last few days, Pitino came out and said that the game is hard on him and he is very emotional as a result. Do you guys buy that? If so, wouldn't Willard be emotional too since he was on the UK side during most of Pitino's tenure there? Wouldn't Lee be emotional after having left all he could out on the court? (He is a stud btw). Pitino didn't really seem to mind his emotions since he sent him out to talk to the media.

I have never hated on Pitino. I just think that excuse is a bit hypocritical. Wanted to see what you guys thought on your end.

Did someone give the LPT fans in this thread the impression that U of L fans care how they perceive Pitino's relationship with the media? I post here a lot, and I know I didn't do so intentionally.

If someone simply left the backdoor open, please close it.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Not sure if it was directed at me or not but I never asked about his perceived relationship with the media. I asked about his statement on skipping due to emotions. Those are 2 totally different things. I was actually quite polite as a guest here in the way I posted as well. If you don't want to answer, that is fine but don't make a statement that has nothing to do with the question I asked. Pitino has the same issue today as he did at UK. He says stupid things and hangs himself with his words.

Then I'll rephrase it so all slapd!cks understand...

Did someone give the LPT fans in this thread the impression that U of L fans care what they think about Pitino and the media? I post here a lot, and I know I didn't do so intentionally.

For that matter, do U of L fans care what slapd!cks think about anything? Carries the same answer for me.

Then I'll rephrase it so all slapd!cks understand...

Did someone give the LPT fans in this thread the impression that U of L fans care what they think about Pitino and the media? I post here a lot, and I know I didn't do so intentionally.

For that matter, do U of L fans care what slapd!cks think about anything? Carries the same answer for me.

I didn't give my thoughts on the situation. I asked the thoughts of the UL faithful. I know you don't care what I think which is why I didn't post any sort of opinion. I asked yours (and other UL fans) and you dance around it while changing the subject. In this situation, your screen name is appropriate because you have given Zipp to answer my question.

I didn't give my thoughts on the situation. I asked the thoughts of the UL faithful...
You mean the question "do you guys buy that?" doesn't convey your thoughts?? Or the word "hypocritical"?

Vintage slapd!ck logic, veiled insults, and obscured remarks when you're too gutless to say what you really think.

Those are your assumptions. There were no veiled insults. It was an honest question but since you brought it up and assumed incorrectly I will provide my opinion.

I'm sure the game is emotional for Pitino. How could it not be? The games are emotional against his former assistants and players too but rarely does he skip the media for those. I think it is an excuse. His players and coaches deal with similar emotions but they still go out. He could easily respond to any loaded question about the scandal with under advice of legal counsel I can't answer that while still being man enough to talk about the game.

I haven't insulted him or UL in this thread or anywhere on this board. I have ignored your name calling as I don't have time for that childish behavior and its your board. You continue to bring "zipp" to the conversation except insults and childish antics.

Reactions: cwcat and jrpross
Those are your assumptions. There were no veiled insults. It was an honest question but since you brought it up and assumed incorrectly I will provide my opinion.

I'm sure the game is emotional for Pitino. How could it not be? The games are emotional against his former assistants and players too but rarely does he skip the media for those. I think it is an excuse. His players and coaches deal with similar emotions but they still go out. He could easily respond to any loaded question about the scandal with under advice of legal counsel I can't answer that while still being man enough to talk about the game.

I haven't insulted him or UL in this thread or anywhere on this board. I have ignored your name calling as I don't have time for that childish behavior and its your board. You continue to bring "zipp" to the conversation except insults and childish antics.

Why waste your time responding to a poster that doesn't even attempt to engage in civil dialog? I love discussing basketball and have found that there are enough others that share my love for reasonable and respectful discussion that there is very little reason to waste time with those that are more into personal insults and discord. I love going to other message boards because I like reading the non-homer view points even if I don't agree with their point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT