ADVERTISEMENT

Phone-A-Ref

Aug 7, 2022
The play by play guy and the Phone-A-Ref at nc st couldn’t stand it that Louisville was going to beat their wolf pack. After rewatching the game, according to those 2, every review called that benefited or would have benefited Louisville was incorrect. Only Ware said the TD pass was a TD. They also said the running into the kicker was a play on and the blocker probably pushed the guilty into the kicker. Cards should have won 27-10.

One of the announcers quoted a so call rule that if both receiver and defender are judged to be in possession of the ball, whoever got their foot down first would be judged to be in possession. I don't think that was what was called otherwise it would have been an interception. I think the ruling was there was no clear possession by either player until the end when our receiver was out of bounds. Don't necessarily agree but hard to overturn.

One of the announcers quoted a so call rule that if both receiver and defender are judged to be in possession of the ball, whoever got their foot down first would be judged to be in possession. I don't think that was what was called otherwise it would have been an interception. I think the ruling was there was no clear possession by either player until the end when our receiver was out of bounds. Don't necessarily agree but hard to overturn.
Funny I saw another game Saturday same thing happened except not in the end zone and the Phone-A-Ref said whoever has control of the ball before someone is down is the possessor, then he said tie goes to the offensive player. The entire Twitter said it was a TD too.

Sorry, but there is no justification for disallowing that TD reception based on every rule in college football. While the field referee "might be excused", based on his positioning which may have prohibited him from actually seeing whether the receiver and/or the DB had possession of the football before they hit the ground. Those reviewing the replay have no excuse whatsoever, as everyone could see clearly the receiver came down with the ball in his hands, in bound. The fact the DB may have even shared custody of the ball at the same time the receiver had possession, the rule says the joint possession "goes to the team last in possession of the football", obviously that is the offense in this case.

The network, as well as the officials were both wrong and this is the sort of situation where "it will get swept under the rug" if UL does not challenge the ACC Commissioner to review the play. Only at that time can those who made the mistake be held accountable.

This was the third UL TD so far this season that was nullified as a result of the official's judgement. This one ended up where we got the 3 points, but at that point in the game the extra 4 points was critical to the outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT