ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino

Just a gut feeling. I think that's how long TJ gives him to make the next step. If we're still finishing 9-4 and 3rd place every year, TJ will be looking. Yes, the Brohm factor plays into my calculations. That would be 3 years at purdue to prove what he can do.

Hate to burst the bubble but there is some animosity with Jurich when he allowed Krags to throw Jeff Brohm under the bus. Btw...I think JB is a stud coach.

You don't think we should have already learned that? There is a HUGE difference between Venables and Sirmon. And Dabo and Petrino. Recruiting wont fill that gap between us. Petrino stated they should've tightened up the defense and the team lacked confidence in beating Clemson. Who does that fall back on? The coaches. They should have figured out after the 1st two games against way worse opponents that we needed to tighten up the defense. I've never heard of a team lacking confidence and not believing in themselves. That's never been an issue. You would think that beating top ranked FSU at home last year would show we can beat anyone.

There's no doubt that Venables and Sirmon isn't a fair match. I thought it was strange to high someone who is essentially doing on the job training. On the other hand, most experts would put Dabo as a top 5 coach and Petrino a top 10 coach. Without Petrino's past warts, there is little chance Louisville could hire a coach in that echelon.

You don't think being 0-fer against Clemson might leave the players questioning whether they could beat them? Until you do, I would think that would have been (and still be) a major concern...

Then we'll never beat them if it's like that.

Hate to burst the bubble but there is some animosity with Jurich when he allowed Krags to throw Jeff Brohm under the bus. Btw...I think JB is a stud coach.
Agreed.

Too many fans casually dismiss how dedicated an AD is to a coach he hires. Jurich also threw Petrino under the bus.

There's really not a way in hell Jurich does anything but support Petrino unless the latter really $hits the bed. 9-4 seasons ain't coming close unless you're talking many years of that.

The thing "they" say kills a coach is lack of outside support from fans and sponsors. Hell, we're expanding the stadium and drawing record endorsements. That situation Saturday looked more like CROWD CONTROL to me. If your hope is for Jeff Brohm, you need to give up your tickets and encourage your friends. (Unfortunately, U of L says they have a waiting list...)

There is a HUGE difference between Venables and Sirmon. And Dabo and Petrino. Recruiting wont fill that gap between us. Petrino stated they should've tightened up the defense and the team lacked confidence in beating Clemson. Who does that fall back on? The coaches. They should have figured out after the 1st two games against way worse opponents that we needed to tighten up the defense. I've never heard of a team lacking confidence and not believing in themselves. That's never been an issue. You would think that beating top ranked FSU at home last year would show we can beat anyone.

The frustration is real on this board. It's running rampant and causing many of us to lose all rational thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp
You don't think being 0-fer against Clemson might leave the players questioning whether they could beat them? Until you do, I would think that would have been (and still be) a major concern...
You're talking about after the game... I can't tell you how many Card fans were thinking we were going to beat Clemson simply because Watson was gone..

You're talking about after the game... I can't tell you how many Card fans were thinking we were going to beat Clemson simply because Watson was gone..
You were 0-fer before the game too. Like you, I shared some of that confidence, and we were both wrong by miles.

Maybe the players were smarter than we are, about football anyway. I'd like to think so...

I think any lack of effort will be remedied by some a$$ on the bench time. That was a fault Grantham had...he never benched guys even when they didn't give effort.
Grantham didn't bench guys for two main reasons.

1. Though we have had good - some great - 1st string guys, we've never had the quality depth and the talent disparity between the starters and backups never would allow him to bench them for long.

2. Grantham's system was very -overly at times - complicated to the point that new guys needed time to grasp it.

There is a significant talent issue on defense especially at corner. It could explain why they are playing so much zone. Purdue slot receiver had a field day, they made Brandon Harris look like a good QB and finally they couldn't cover any of Clemsons receivers. The next 2 weeks it is time for a youth movement.

Lack of talent isn't Sirmon issue. The lack of discipline, understanding responsibilities and proper technique are his issues. While the sample size is small there is a lot of work/coaching that needs to happen with his unit. When tight ends are wide open in the end zone on play action or receivers aren't frequently covered closely or poor tackling happens that is coaching. That can improve over time but if it doesn't a quick hook maybe needed and that isn't what any program wants.

Louisville "fans" are a fickle bunch and I find myself getting there as I get older.

You let us go 9-4 and go to the Belk Bowl (etc) 3 or 4 times and we'll have our original 35-45k at games. The waiting list will dissolve quickly.

If we can't get to where we can beat Clemson and FSU occasionally people will grow tired of $60-$80 tickets.

That's too bad. I was there when were begging for a Liberty Bowl.

We also begged for BIg Boy FB and now that we have it the UL faithful will not settle for "also ran" every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT