ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino

td75

One-Star Poster
Aug 16, 2003
Petrino seems to have lost this team, perhaps before the season started? Looking like trash against Purdue was the first sign. Last night's game was no different, just an overall lack of a good gameplan.

How could his offense be this bad with a Heisman Trophy winner at QB??? There were bad passes but there were so many dropped passed that it kills the offense. I thought this game showed a lack of execution BUT also a poor gameplan.

What a mistake it was to get rid of Grantham. His defense smoked LSU last night. This guy now plays a soft looking defense. The announcers said that Grantham calls a much more aggressive defense.

Anyway, Brohm is looking decent at Purdue and I think he will be back sooner than later.

Petrino seems to have lost this team, perhaps before the season started? Looking like trash against Purdue was the first sign. Last night's game was no different, just an overall lack of a good gameplan.

How could his offense be this bad with a Heisman Trophy winner at QB??? There were bad passes but there were so many dropped passed that it kills the offense. I thought this game showed a lack of execution BUT also a poor gameplan.

What a mistake it was to get rid of Grantham. His defense smoked LSU last night. This guy now plays a soft looking defense. The announcers said that Grantham calls a much more aggressive defense.

Anyway, Brohm is looking decent at Purdue and I think he will be back sooner than later.

How many times have you claimed that Brohm will go back to UL sooner rather than later? Sure it could happen but I'm guessing that as an IU fan, you hope it happens because you know he's better than Tom Allen.

Reactions: wilkie01

Petrino's not going anywhere--nor should he--and Sirmon's here for at least one more year beyond this one. You and others complaining need to come to grips with that.

There is no suitable replacement for a guy of Petrino's stature anyway. You're not getting Saban or anyone close. And you're not rolling the dice with some green and up-and-comer.

You played the reigning national champs last nite, the same program that blew out Ohio State five games ago. And tOSU has a lot more talent than you do.

Relax...

Hey Boiler, it's not the Ville you should worry about stealing your coach! It's Notre Dame, Tennessee, possibly Florida or many other top 20 programs that know he is three times better than the coach they currently have!

Enjoy him while he's there, it won't be for long. Hell, you don't also think the NFL owners don't keep track of college coaches on the rise too? Especially one that played multiple NFL seasons? Regardless of last night's outcome, we have a stud coach. You better worry about the other guys, not us!

Reactions: American Male
Sorry folks, but last night was embrassing. What ever Petrino was preparing for...it was not last night's game. Petrino Version 2.0 is 1 - 8 versus Top 10 opponents. Let see what happens this season and revamp. Yes, its one game....but team is not improving. Nice try Bobby, but you should stayed around the first time...because you are not getting it done the second time around.

What are you willing to wager on this quote ??
Well, let me put it this way... If he's not here, we have bigger problems than Sirmon, and I don't think that's the case. This is based purely on what I have seen.

And let me guess, Red... You were also a Grantham hater?...

Well, let me put it this way... If he's not here, we have bigger problems than Sirmon, and I don't think that's the case. This is based purely on what I have seen.

And let me guess, Red... You were also a Grantham hater?...
I wasn't a fan, I'll say that. The last half of last year we couldnt get off the field if we played 14 guys on Defense..

By the way, I've seen a bunch of your posts saying people who wanted Grantham gone have no reason to complain...? Two things.. 1. Just because people didn't like Grantham doesn't mean they wanted Sirmon, a pretty unproven commodity .. 2. Grantham is no longer here more because of the Wakey Leaks fiasco than anything else.

I wasn't a fan, I'll say that. The last half of last year we couldnt get off the field if we played 14 guys on Defense..

By the way, I've seen a bunch of your posts saying people who wanted Grantham gone have no reason to complain...? Two things.. 1. Just because people didn't like Grantham doesn't mean they wanted Sirmon, a pretty unproven commodity .. 2. Grantham is no longer here more because of the Wakey Leaks fiasco than anything else.
Grantham is not here because he and Petrino couldn't get along - plain and simple and the HC wins that fight over the DC every time. Hell - it was Lonnie Galloway who met with the Wake guy and not only is he still around - he got promoted to co-OC.

Grantham and BP didn't get along. That's common knowledge and like BPGhost said, the HC is going to win that one. With that being said I SERIOUSLY questioned Sirmon when the announcement was made. Those questions grow stronger with each game.

We're stagnant as a program right now. Can't make that final step to be upper echelon. Other than 1 fluke of a blowout of FSU we don't compete against the top of our division. How long does TJ let that continue? Part of me thinks Petrino has this season plus 2 more to gain a step. If not, Brohm might get the call. 3 years in at Purdue and he'll have them solid. He'll be ready to move up a step, hopefully home.

Grantham and BP didn't get along. That's common knowledge and like BPGhost said, the HC is going to win that one. With that being said I SERIOUSLY questioned Sirmon when the announcement was made. Those questions grow stronger with each game.

We're stagnant as a program right now. Can't make that final step to be upper echelon. Other than 1 fluke of a blowout of FSU we don't compete against the top of our division. How long does TJ let that continue? Part of me thinks Petrino has this season plus 2 more to gain a step. If not, Brohm might get the call. 3 years in at Purdue and he'll have them solid. He'll be ready to move up a step, hopefully home.

Why do you think Petrino has 2 more years after this season? Petrino is 1-7 against the top 2 teams in our conference. I'm not saying Petrino should be gone, just was asking.

Jeff Brohm is never walking through that door. He is at Quarterback U and, when and if he succeeds there, the NFL would be knocking.

We sucked so bad that last season we not only had a Heisman winner, but we tied for the Division Title in the incredibly rough Atlantic Division of the ACC.

What a freaking failure that is. Bobby will sink or swim based on results and there is an entire season scrolling out ahead of us. So far, he;ls been pretty dam OK. Do I have criticisms of his product last night?? Holy shit, do I ever, ha ha. But any athlete knows you get embarrassed from time to time. What matters is how you come back. People just want to punish someone - really, really bad - because they believe it satisfies an itch. In truth all it does is work to ruin something you love.

But any athlete knows you get embarrassed from time to time. What matters is how you come back. .

This is a good point, but didn't they get embarrassed by Houston and come back getting embarrassed again by UK, and then again by LSU?

The first two games this year were ragged and last night was a dumpster fire. The ragged play, and dumpster fire 24 hrs ago wouldn't sting as much if the program didn't roll over the final month of the prior season.

The concern fans are showing is warranted.

Petrino is 1-7 against the top 2 teams in our conference. I'm not saying Petrino should be gone, just was asking.

I'd like to see a few more wins there - but the 1-7 against the top shelf isn't as concerning for me as the overall ragged mistake prone product we're seeing pretty much ever week.

I understand opponents aren't going to lay down but the Cards shoot themselves in the foot on the reg and that's more annoying to me than results vs Clemson and FSU.

If Grantham is gone because of Wakeyleaks--and this isn't the first time I've heard that--that's a different matter. BUT there were plenty of fans asking for his head last year independent of that fiasco. Whether or not anyone heard you, he's gone.

And the people and system used to find his replacement--Sirmon--are still in place. You have no idea whether Petrino will go out and find you a better coordinator now than he did a year ago. Hell, Sirmon's replacement could be worse than he is. There is easily a chance that could happen; we heard the same anyone-is-better talk about Grantham.

The reality is that fans don't know whether a replacement is better than the original. The best you can say is you THINK you know.

Louisville's ACC record since joining is 18-8 while playing in what's recognized as one of the toughest divisions in college football. I'm sorry, that's not an emergency or an indication of anything bad. Florida's SEC record in the same timeframe is 18-7, and Georgia's is 15-9. But obviously they play a questionable schedule in the SEC East. Auburn is 11-13 and LSU 14-11 in the SEC West alongside of Alabama, not unlike a division with Clemson and FSU.

And you weren't embarrassed by LPT last year. You were embarrassed by losing to LPT. That's psychological...

Last edited:
And you weren't embarrassed by LPT last year. .

We were a 26 point favorite playing on our home turf, that's getting embarrassed no matter how you
look at it. Especially to the perennial $ec doormat..

You were embarrassed by losing to LPT. That's psychological...

Caring about winning or losing in any sport, to anyone, is psychological if you want to boil it down to its simplest form.. Kinda like some of, if not most of, your posts..

Reactions: nccardfan
Offer Les Miles $2-3 million a year to be our DC.

Petrino step up the offense or get Brohm as the HC.

We were a 26 point favorite playing on our home turf, that's getting embarrassed no matter how you look at it. Especially to the perennial $ec doormat.

Caring about winning or losing in any sport, to anyone, is psychological if you want to boil it down to its simplest form.. Kinda like some of, if not most of, your posts..
"Embarrassed" is losing by 26 points. You were upset by a slim margin in a fluke game.

If YOU are embarrassed by losing to slapd!cks in football, that's on you. They're a $hit football program, but if you play them, you WILL lose to them. There's one solution to make sure that doesn't happen.

There's nothing psychological in there--just cold, hard facts and whether you recognize them or not...

Zipp - Losing a game to any team when favored by 26 points at home is embarrassing, no matter the final margin of the loss.

You can play with semantics all you want to try to change the meaning of the outcome of that game to fit some agenda in regards to UK - but this isn't about UK. This is about a program that lost a game favored by 26 points - a program that's been "off" since midway through last year.

It wasn't a fluke game either - that embarrassment to UK. The way they played vs UK is how they played vs Houston, LSU, and a few others that they actually beat in the 2nd half of their schedule. UK was just solid enough to take advantage, where as the stiffs like Duke just weren't. UK just wasn't as good as Houston or LSU, or the game would have been even MORE embarrassing and not a close game.

Offer Les Miles $2-3 million a year to be our DC.

Petrino step up the offense or get Brohm as the HC.
Except that Les Miles is an offensive coach. He is a former OL as a player. He was an OL coach for Michigan and Colorado in the 80s and 90s. Was OC for Colorado in the 90s, had some ideas but the head coach wouldn't listen to him so he split and was a TE coach for the Cowboys. Then he came back to Oklahoma State after they fired the head coach that wouldn't listen to him and put in what at the time was a very innovative power spread offense, as virtually no one was running a power spread offense ... back then the spread was either Mike Leach run-and-shoot type passing offenses, or Rich Rodriguez and Chip Kelly speed option offenses that attacked the edges ... no one was doing power running out of two back and I-formation offenses before Miles except maybe Ralph Friedgen, although what Friedgen ran at Maryland and Georgia Tech couldn't really be called the spread because they took a lot of snaps under center. When Miles had Jimbo Fisher helping him recruit and more importantly DEVELOP players at LSU, his offenses were great. But when Fisher left, Miles made a string of bad hires at OC and QB coach, which led to his offense falling apart.

The defenses at LSU ... Miles never had a thing to do with them. His defenses at Oklahoma State weren't that good; they just relied on outscoring everybody. His early years at LSU, he still relied on the talent that Saban had put in place, and he got Bo Pelini to be the DC. After Pelini left, he hired John Chavis, whose defenses carried Tennessee for a long time, but Chavis' defenses became outdated and weren't nearly as good when Chavis left as they were when he got there, and still had Pelini's players. By the time that LSU finally got sick of Miles and fired him - which should have happened 3 years ago when he refused to fire his best friend OC - LSU's defenses really weren't all that. They just LOOKED good because of all the future NFL talent on them, and because SEC offenses have been terrible for going on 10 years, or at least they have been terrible at the SEC schools that recruit the best players (Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and yes LSU) while some of the middling schools that don't get good talent like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas and even Vanderbilt have actually had better offensive coaching.

If you hire Les Miles, make sure that it is for recruiting and running a program only. In particular you will want to choose his OC for him in advance. Maybe the Wake Forest OC would be a good guy to pilfer.

Reactions: jts_cards
Except that Les Miles is an offensive coach. He is a former OL as a player. He was an OL coach for Michigan and Colorado in the 80s and 90s. Was OC for Colorado in the 90s, had some ideas but the head coach wouldn't listen to him so he split and was a TE coach for the Cowboys. Then he came back to Oklahoma State after they fired the head coach that wouldn't listen to him and put in what at the time was a very innovative power spread offense, as virtually no one was running a power spread offense ... back then the spread was either Mike Leach run-and-shoot type passing offenses, or Rich Rodriguez and Chip Kelly speed option offenses that attacked the edges ... no one was doing power running out of two back and I-formation offenses before Miles except maybe Ralph Friedgen, although what Friedgen ran at Maryland and Georgia Tech couldn't really be called the spread because they took a lot of snaps under center. When Miles had Jimbo Fisher helping him recruit and more importantly DEVELOP players at LSU, his offenses were great. But when Fisher left, Miles made a string of bad hires at OC and QB coach, which led to his offense falling apart.

The defenses at LSU ... Miles never had a thing to do with them. His defenses at Oklahoma State weren't that good; they just relied on outscoring everybody. His early years at LSU, he still relied on the talent that Saban had put in place, and he got Bo Pelini to be the DC. After Pelini left, he hired John Chavis, whose defenses carried Tennessee for a long time, but Chavis' defenses became outdated and weren't nearly as good when Chavis left as they were when he got there, and still had Pelini's players. By the time that LSU finally got sick of Miles and fired him - which should have happened 3 years ago when he refused to fire his best friend OC - LSU's defenses really weren't all that. They just LOOKED good because of all the future NFL talent on them, and because SEC offenses have been terrible for going on 10 years, or at least they have been terrible at the SEC schools that recruit the best players (Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and yes LSU) while some of the middling schools that don't get good talent like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas and even Vanderbilt have actually had better offensive coaching.

If you hire Les Miles, make sure that it is for recruiting and running a program only. In particular you will want to choose his OC for him in advance. Maybe the Wake Forest OC would be a good guy to pilfer.

You could easily use him though for recruiting. He would help out a lot in recruiting. He could be given any position. That's the thing though. There arent many DC's out there that would be willing to leave and/or already proven to be good. That's why Sirmon will stay. I would take Brohm and his team though if they came knocking, but wont happen. Brohm has 20 years left as a coach and if he wins this weekend vs Michigan. He will have already outdone their projected season. He will have already beaten a top 10 team in just 4 games at Purdue. Without his recruits. He's going to be a great coach.

You could easily use him though for recruiting. He would help out a lot in recruiting. He could be given any position. That's the thing though. There arent many DC's out there that would be willing to leave and/or already proven to be good. That's why Sirmon will stay. I would take Brohm and his team though if they came knocking, but wont happen. Brohm has 20 years left as a coach and if he wins this weekend vs Michigan. He will have already outdone their projected season. He will have already beaten a top 10 team in just 4 games at Purdue. Without his recruits. He's going to be a great coach.

For your own sanity, you really should stop. First of all, Petrino ain't going anywhere and Les Miles isn't going to come anywhere as a flippin recruiting coordinator. Yes, Petrino needs to tighten things up some. But let's keep in mind that we are competing now in perhaps the best league in all of college football and garnering some pretty respectable win totals. A few years ago our marquee game was University of Central Florida. We aren't in little league anymore. A few years ago Clemson got blown away by WVU in the Orange Bowl and was eviserated by Fl St in a Saturday night prime time game. Remember when Clemson was turned into an adverb - "Clemsoning". From that they learned that they had a gap in talent and scheme kept plugging away to get where they are at. I expect UofL to do the same.

Agree with everything Hank said, but the final part. I don't expect UofL to do the same as Clemson has done - for a # of reasons. The #1 reason being the state of KY just does not produce the same # of football players as the state of SC does.

From that they learned that they had a gap in talent and scheme kept plugging away to get where they are at. I expect UofL to do the same.
And that's what we have to do.. Starting with either a new DC or the current one showing some consistent improvement the rest of the year.. I really don't see that we will improve much the rest of the year because this D is not only lacking in talent, it's lacking in effort..

Bobby Petrino's coaching on Saturday looked like he was following a Steve Crapthorpe game plan! I will be honest, we sucked Saturday!

Reactions: jts_cards
And that's what we have to do.. Starting with either a new DC or the current one showing some consistent improvement the rest of the year.. I really don't see that we will improve much the rest of the year because this D is not only lacking in talent, it's lacking in effort..

I think any lack of effort will be remedied by some a$$ on the bench time. That was a fault Grantham had...he never benched guys even when they didn't give effort.

Bobby Petrino's coaching on Saturday looked like he was following a Steve Crapthorpe game plan! I will be honest, we sucked Saturday!
No lie, Wilkie, lol. We sucked bananas from monkey tailpipes, lol.

But it happens. I thought the game revolved around Stansberry's really unfortunate and untimely penalty. Which also sucks because his fabulous catch for us tied at an important juncture. I know you could feel the air go out of players and stadium. I mean, we probably would have lost by 10 or so anyway - Clemson proved to be that good. But sometimes stuff like that leads to runaways and smears. I played a baseball game once in Evansville who had finished third in the World the year before in Legion ball. They beat our asses 17-1, lol. It was so bad, I didn't even remember the score until I spoke with my coach, 40 years later. Well, we hosted them for a big July 4th game with our primo pitcher now freed up from his Indian/Kentucky basketball all star game. I got beaned after hitting a homer to put us ahead by 1 and we got pissed and scored 8 in the inning. The score ended up being 22-1, ha ha. I'll never forget relishing hearing their third baseman say he had never experienced a bear down like that. Boo friggin hoo, ha ha.
Two weeks later we played them again in a tournament and lost 1-0. Go figure.

Reactions: wilkie01
For your own sanity, you really should stop. First of all, Petrino ain't going anywhere and Les Miles isn't going to come anywhere as a flippin recruiting coordinator. Yes, Petrino needs to tighten things up some. But let's keep in mind that we are competing now in perhaps the best league in all of college football and garnering some pretty respectable win totals. A few years ago our marquee game was University of Central Florida. We aren't in little league anymore. A few years ago Clemson got blown away by WVU in the Orange Bowl and was eviserated by Fl St in a Saturday night prime time game. Remember when Clemson was turned into an adverb - "Clemsoning". From that they learned that they had a gap in talent and scheme kept plugging away to get where they are at. I expect UofL to do the same.

You don't think we should have already learned that? There is a HUGE difference between Venables and Sirmon. And Dabo and Petrino. Recruiting wont fill that gap between us. Petrino stated they should've tightened up the defense and the team lacked confidence in beating Clemson. Who does that fall back on? The coaches. They should have figured out after the 1st two games against way worse opponents that we needed to tighten up the defense. I've never heard of a team lacking confidence and not believing in themselves. That's never been an issue. You would think that beating top ranked FSU at home last year would show we can beat anyone.

...I've never heard of a team lacking confidence and not believing in themselves...
You don't think being 0-fer against Clemson might leave the players questioning whether they could beat them? Until you do, I would think that would have been (and still be) a major concern...

Why do you think Petrino has 2 more years after this season? Petrino is 1-7 against the top 2 teams in our conference. I'm not saying Petrino should be gone, just was asking.

Just a gut feeling. I think that's how long TJ gives him to make the next step. If we're still finishing 9-4 and 3rd place every year, TJ will be looking. Yes, the Brohm factor plays into my calculations. That would be 3 years at purdue to prove what he can do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT