ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Verhulst

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Incoming freshman Payton Verhulst is making waves with the USA Basketball U19 World Cup team. The World Cup doesn't start in Hungary for another week, but after the training camp from July 21st - 27th, the team has traveled to Europe and is engaged in some exhibition play for warm ups.

No schedule of exhibition games is readily available, but stat sheets have been posted for two exhibition games so far against Spain in Guadalajara, Spain .

In the first game on the 30th, Verhulst helped the US cruise to a easy 74-53 victory by putting up 11 points and grabbing nine rebounds. Add in an assist and a couple of steals, and her +/- rating was the highest of any player in the game at +23. Jersey Betts, and Lauren Wolfenbarger did outscore Verhulst with 14 and 12 points, respectively. It was a good spread of offense on the team with another five players scoring between six and 10 points.

The second game was contested Saturday, against Spain, with another easy US win 79-59. Verhulst led the US team scoring in this game, with 14 points, all from the field with two beyond the arc. Payton again cleaned the backboard with a team leading seven rebounds. Out in the passing lanes, she also gave the Spanish fits, with four steals. Again, the offense was spread around the team with nine of the 11 players that got on the court scoring at least five points.

These two teams will meet one more time in exhibition, Monday morning at 6 a.m. EDT before travelling to Debrecen Hungary for final preparations and practices or the World Cup competition.

--sonja--

Reactions: CardsFirst
Sonja, I think you meant Lauren Betts. She’s the one that really got away from our staff. I really thought her and Payton were meant to be at the same school.

Last edited:
I’ve seen Payton play quite a few times watching her on the computer and she is impressive the whole game. She contributes the whole game with her passing, scoring, rebounding and defense. She seems to do it so effortlessly because her basketball IQ is so high. I bought got season tickets this year because our team is really going to be impressive and fun to watch, I hope we will be able to go to games this year.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I’ve seen Payton play quite a few times watching her on the computer and she is impressive the whole game. She contributes the whole game with her passing, scoring, rebounding and defense. She seems to do it so effortlessly because her basketball IQ is so high. I bought got season tickets this year because our team is really going to be impressive and fun to watch, I hope we will be able to go to games this year.
I’ve had tickets since the Yum! was built. I was able to relocate down 5 seats behind the bench for this year. It was a tough decision to move from some Cards fans we’ve sat next to for years but last seasons covid requirements required we move and like that section much better. It’s fun to see and hear the players and coach Walz up close. Go Cards WBB!

When I bought my tickets the best seats available were in section 114. I would have loved the seats you are talking about what section is that?

Congrats Payton! Patiently waiting for the season to start. Always cheering…Go Cards!

Last edited:
Not surprising and well deserved, really looking forward to this season. We have a really good team and a really good home schedule.

I know this forum is very male oriented, but I feel it really sad that there was no article whatsover (at least that I could find) about this new and very prestigious award received by Payton.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I know this forum is very male oriented, but I feel it really sad that there was no article whatsover (at least that I could find) about this new and very prestigious award received by Payton.
From the Cardinal Couple crew:

After being named as the Kansas Female Athlete of the Year and Girls Basketball Player of the Year by USA Today last month, Payton Verhulst became eligible for a larger award. On Thursday night, that eligibility came through. While Verhulst was not named the National Girls Basketball Player of the Year by USA Today, she was instead named the Female Athlete of the Year, a heck of a consolation. Verhulst's awards come after she was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball and the Volleyball Player of the Year in Class 4A in Kansas. Bishop Miege won the state championship in both sports this season, with Verhulst at the helm for both. In basketball, she averaged 19.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game while she averaged 3.7 kills per set with a 0.239 hitting percentage in volleyball. I'm sure Coach Dani Busboom-Kelly isn't done trying to convince her that there is space on the roster sheet over in Cardinal Arena.

And, I am NOT male-oriented, Armensmith.

--sonja--

From the Cardinal Couple crew:

After being named as the Kansas Female Athlete of the Year and Girls Basketball Player of the Year by USA Today last month, Payton Verhulst became eligible for a larger award. On Thursday night, that eligibility came through. While Verhulst was not named the National Girls Basketball Player of the Year by USA Today, she was instead named the Female Athlete of the Year, a heck of a consolation. Verhulst's awards come after she was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in basketball and the Volleyball Player of the Year in Class 4A in Kansas. Bishop Miege won the state championship in both sports this season, with Verhulst at the helm for both. In basketball, she averaged 19.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game while she averaged 3.7 kills per set with a 0.239 hitting percentage in volleyball. I'm sure Coach Dani Busboom-Kelly isn't done trying to convince her that there is space on the roster sheet over in Cardinal Arena.

And, I am NOT male-oriented, Armensmith.

--sonja--
I certainly know you are not male oriented for which I am highly grateful. I am also grateful for the Cardinal Couple blog and saw the excerpt that you printed above. I, however, was referring to the Rival Board as a whole.

Here is the link to the box score for today's game.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19women/2021/game/0808/USA-Australia#tab=boxscore

Last edited:
Reactions: Bardman
This US team with Payton on it is super talented they dominated everybody in their age group last year. Usually Australia is one of the countries that can play with us but not with this team. I thought the rest of the world was catching up with us and they might be but this group is way ahead of the rest of the world.

Reactions: Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT