ADVERTISEMENT

Payne Post Game Comment

pointless offensive and defensive schemes.

the offense was a hot potato scheme with 3 guys above the 3 point line passing it back and forth with our other two other guys standing still. hot potato scheme was run for most of the game.

defense-no clue what scheme we ran. Syracuse often would run up the floor for a layup or dunk in transition.

So Kenny, you think maybe wasting scholarships on Trentyn Flowers, Danilo Jovanovich, and Koron Davis might have had something to do with your lack of players to go to?
Willing to give him a pass on Flowers. After 4 wins if you get a 5* guy even as a re-classify to come here you take him. What the kid and his parents did to this program was unprecedented.

But I'm 100% in agreement with the other two you mentioned.

Willing to give him a pass on Flowers. After 4 wins if you get a 5* guy even as a re-classify to come here you take him. What the kid and his parents did to this program was unprecedented.

But I'm 100% in agreement with the other two you mentioned.

Where I fault him with Flowers is not understanding the player and his handlers well enough to realize that they were insistent that he learn to play point, and that if they didn’t get their way, they had other options and were plenty willing to go elsewhere.

You just went 4-28 at Louisville. It was very important that you quadruple that win total in year two. You didn’t need a 5-star supersized point guard project. You needed a veteran player at any of the five positions, but especially at shooting guard or small forward.

Yet another poor choice demonstrating Payne’s lack of head coaching acumen.

Where I fault him with Flowers is not understanding the player and his handlers well enough to realize that they were insistent that he learn to play point, and that if they didn’t get their way, they had other options and were plenty willing to go elsewhere.

You just went 4-28 at Louisville. It was very important that you quadruple that win total in year two. You didn’t need a 5-star supersized point guard project. You needed a veteran player at any of the five positions, but especially at shooting guard or small forward.

Yet another poor choice demonstrating Payne’s lack of head coaching acumen.
But maybe they didn't really make that clear. Or maybe they did, and Kenny was going to give him run there but they still left.

They left in August. Just a low class move out of bounds even in this era. Well maybe not anymore. There's just no way to know a guy is going to leave you in August.

But to your point, if there are pushy handlers he probably could have just not obliged. Hard to say, after 4 wins you just aren't recruiting in a position of strength.

The Flowers issue could have been KP trusting Smith. Smith is the connection to Flowers. Smith looks like he got burned.

Also keep in mind KP wants all the positions to handle the ball. I don’t think PG means much to him. Which is a whole other issue considering how UK was built around terrific PG’s. He still thinks Clark is a PG.

All coaches blame their players that isn’t the issue. The issue is KP does nothing to change their behavior. Pitinio blames everyone in the entire operation but destroys them in practice with details and accountability. KP is just the opposite blames the players but does nothing in practice or games to hold them players accountable.

The last possession of the half against Syracuse watch Trey White. Does nothing to prevent it Johnson gets the blame and nothing said about Trey White. All he does is praise Trey White who plays zero defense all the time.

Defense is where you see team concepts and coaching. No one wants to play defense it takes really good coaching for a team to really defend.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
The Flowers issue could have been KP trusting Smith. Smith is the connection to Flowers. Smith looks like he got burned.

Also keep in mind KP wants all the positions to handle the ball. I don’t think PG means much to him. Which is a whole other issue considering how UK was built around terrific PG’s. He still thinks Clark is a PG.

All coaches blame their players that isn’t the issue. The issue is KP does nothing to change their behavior. Pitinio blames everyone in the entire operation but destroys them in practice with details and accountability. KP is just the opposite blames the players but does nothing in practice or games to hold them players accountable.

The last possession of the half against Syracuse watch Trey White. Does nothing to prevent it Johnson gets the blame and nothing said about Trey White. All he does is praise Trey White who plays zero defense all the time.

Defense is where you see team concepts and coaching. No one wants to play defense it takes really good coaching for a team to really defend.
I would disagree on one point - every coach does not "blame" their players - and certainly not in a public manner. Being constructively critical of players' performances is at a very basic level - the essence of coaching. Pitino is an incredibly successful coach but, because of his understanding of basketball at a granular level - not because of his interpersonal skills.

Ripping players publicly only serves to strain the trust between the athlete and the coach - which is the backbone of being successful.

Accountability is one of the many things Jeff Brohm does great as an HC!
After a loss it’s “I” or “We” have some things to work on that I/we could’ve done better.
Payne it’s just “they“ didn’t do this right or “they”didn't do that right

Reactions: earsky
Listening to 93.9 for post game comments and they are either broadcasting only 1 question or only 1 question was asked of Plain. C'mon guys, make a name for yourself and call his trash coaching out.

It’s a shame we couldn’t have seen this team with a full compliment of players. I’m sure Flowers, Davis, Trainor, and the dude with the goggles would have helped. It may not have mattered in the end but it stinks one of our own will go out this way. Some people in life are in over their heads and this situation happened to be one of them.
Good luck Kenny on the rest of your life. I know you exude class and will be a Cardinal until the end.

Players matters. I will continue to beat that drum. When it comes to KP the players aren’t the issue when you have 2 years of a different set of players not understanding team concepts. We have watched 2 years of 5 individuals playing D1 basketball we see the results. They have no shot against 5 guys playing as a team.

Now these players aren’t very good either so even a good coach would struggle to get them to the tournament. So be careful of getting excited or upset when players stay or leave.

62 games in he finally sat players for poor play.

This year's players are extremely young overall and their potential is unclear. I believe a few of these guys are going to have good careers. Somewhere. BHH is also the only vet and he's significantly better than anyone that suited up last year, including last year's version of himself.

Last year's guys were mostly vets just checked out going through the motions or lower ring young guys with limits.

Reactions: vivid_red
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT