ADVERTISEMENT

Payne: "Don't know if we've really hit rock bottom."

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
“I don’t feel like we’re on the upward swing yet. I don’t know yet if we’ve really hit rock bottom," Payne said. "I know that we’re low. But again, it’s hard to tell when you played, you just said it, five top-25 teams. I know that for the young men, how they digest this is vital.

“I’m constantly asking them and reading and looking at their body language about how are you digesting this? And sometimes not really listening to their words when you’re in a practice and you create adversity, it comes out,” Payne said. “I need it to come out. I need it to get all the way out because there’s only one way for this to get fixed for this season is to heal. Get all of it out, let’s find out who is who. Let’s find out who’s the fighters. Let’s find out who can focus, who can be disciplined, who can execute and who can be a great teammate and go from there.”

Payne did say he thought his team was getting better, and added he was attempting to build culture by testing players at practice and making it “so borderline unattainable to get through.” He said the next step was that the team needed to see some success to see some payoff from that hard work.

“I don’t feel like we’re on the upward swing yet. I don’t know yet if we’ve really hit rock bottom," Payne said. "I know that we’re low. But again, it’s hard to tell when you played, you just said it, five top-25 teams. I know that for the young men, how they digest this is vital.

“I’m constantly asking them and reading and looking at their body language about how are you digesting this? And sometimes not really listening to their words when you’re in a practice and you create adversity, it comes out,” Payne said. “I need it to come out. I need it to get all the way out because there’s only one way for this to get fixed for this season is to heal. Get all of it out, let’s find out who is who. Let’s find out who’s the fighters. Let’s find out who can focus, who can be disciplined, who can execute and who can be a great teammate and go from there.”

Payne did say he thought his team was getting better, and added he was attempting to build culture by testing players at practice and making it “so borderline unattainable to get through.” He said the next step was that the team needed to see some success to see some payoff from that hard work.

The rock bottom part was eye opening to hear him say. But the reality is that anything he says isn’t going to appease anyone. For me, the only thing I’d like to hear him say “I need to recruit my ass off and get some dudes in here. It will get done”. Everything else is just window dressing.

Reactions: rh62531
I think he's in way over his head! And I seriously doubt his coaching ability.

He was gonna get top players. Didn’t happen. He has great connections. Where are they now? He was gonna work their tails off and make them better conditioned than anyone. Didn’t happen. He was a great developer of big men. Don’t see it, in fact Sidney has regressed.
We were sold a bill of goods. Hope we kept the receipt!!!!

Last edited:
This team does not deserve to have Louisville on the jersey. Their own names and number should be the only thing on there. They are lazy and selfish. If KP thinks this in not "rock bottom", I for one would love to know what is. Although I am certain that we are going to find it. Maybe get beat by 50 pts? Maybe 100 pts? Not really sure what he thinks is going be that point.

Rock bottom? IDK but I watched World Cup instead. And I am not a soccer fan. Thank Heavens there are WBB, VB and FB. I go back to the days of Wes and Butch but it is beyond me to watch what is now Louisville BB.

He was gonna get top players. Didn’t happen. He has great connections. Where are they now? He was gonna work their tails off and make them better conditioned than anyone. Didn’t happen. He was a great developer of beg men. Don’t see it, in fact Sidney has regressed.
We were sold a bill of goods. Hope we kept the receipt!!!!
He was going to make them a running team. Haven’t seen 1 runout yet. He’s a liar who has no idea what he’s doing!

Reactions: OldhamCard335
This team does not deserve to have Louisville on the jersey. Their own names and number should be the only thing on there. They are lazy and selfish. If KP thinks this in not "rock bottom", I for one would love to know what is. Although I am certain that we are going to find it. Maybe get beat by 50 pts? Maybe 100 pts? Not really sure what he thinks is going be that point.
The players are pawns. It’s the coaches responsibility to have them ready.

The players are pawns. It’s the coaches responsibility to have them ready.
Are Danning Manning and Nolan Smith just being shut out? Do they have a say in what is going on? I haven’t seen all the games but I noticed early on that Manning and Smith say little is anything during the games.

If this is not rock bottom, losing to FAMU clears the path to no recovery. Lipscomb is a loss. At this point, what would a 3 or 5 point win against FAMU really mean or be worth anyway?

This team is legit on track to finish 1-31 or 0-32 with more than likely somewhere near or over 20 losses of 20+ points or more. That would truly be rock bottom.

If this is not rock bottom, losing to FAMU clears the path to no recovery. Lipscomb is a loss. At this point, what would a 3 or 5 point win against FAMU really mean or be worth anyway?

This team is legit on track to finish 1-31 or 0-32 with more than likely somewhere near or over 20 losses of 20+ points or more. That would truly be rock bottom.

To KP it would probably feel like winning a national championship at this point. 😂

Are Danning Manning and Nolan Smith just being shut out? Do they have a say in what is going on? I haven’t seen all the games but I noticed early on that Manning and Smith say little is anything during the games.
I have no idea except Manning is already a proven loser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT